• Latest reply 7 years ago by Enaud
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8075 (resized).JPG
IMG_8074 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Enaud.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I've started restoring a Jet Spin and I think I'm getting pretty close to getting the startup sequence to complete correctly. I had an issue with the hold relay not staying engaged (ball roll tilt miss-wired) and the O relay machine gunning (stuck O switch). I've cleaned up the relay switches, stepper units, etc. Everything looks good from what I can tell. (No obvious wire hacking that I can observe.)

Now I'm getting almost all the way through the startup sequence but with some bugs towards the end (step 10) when the AX relay dis-engages.
When AX dis-engages the score motor turns, L relay fires and we score 1,000 points.

Next I put the ball in the outhole and the O relay fires to launch the ball. That's good, however, we score 5,100 points.

There's two switches there in the trough. The top O switch (NO) makes the O relay cycle and launch the ball. Success! Next the 1st ball relay engages and stays on. The other switch there in the outhole trough (NC) opens when the ball is in the trough. What's that going to? Does it kill power to something when the ball is in the outhole?

Next the ball rolls over the trough switch as it goes to the shooter lane. When that switch is activated the 1st ball relay stays engaged. I believe it is supposed to dis-engage at this point. I don't know why it isn't. The add player relay cycles. The player unit advances 4 steps back to player 1. Crazy scores rack up (player 1 gets 2,200; players 2,3,4 get 1,000).

Next if you play the game all the playfield components fire like you'd expect. The drain doesn't count up bonus correctly, ball in play, player number, etc. But we'll focus on that later.

I'm focusing on the O relay right now since I think I'm somewhere around there. (I do have the schematics and have been buried in it for a couple of days to get this far). Also, what's the function of that second switch in the outhole and where is it at on the schematics?

I'm about to get stuck so I'm reaching out for help. I'd really be thankful for any suggestions!

#3 7 years ago

Thanks, TimMe. I wish it were that easy. I unplugged the rear jones playfield connector and tested all the switches for shorted connections. They were all open. With that jones plug connected the switches show shorted (It's continuity is coming through the relays and board.). With that plug out of the loop the game boots and I don't get the 1,000 point score when AX relay dis-engages. With it plugged back up I get the erroneous scoring when the AX relay dis-engages. I think that the playfield switches are all open and good. I've been over them multiple times with the multimeter.
So, that's directing me back to the relay stacks somewhere. Now, here's a picture of the AX relay stack. There's a jumper wire on there. It looks factory (old solder, nice job, doesn't look like a desperate hack). Does this relay stack look okay? I don't see any hacks. Can you send a picture of your relay stack? Does it have this same jumper? That switch on the outer most stack is what causes the 1,000 score.

Enaud

IMG_8074 (resized).JPGIMG_8074 (resized).JPG

IMG_8075 (resized).JPGIMG_8075 (resized).JPG

#5 7 years ago

Hi pinbaldeaveh. I checked the Z1 and Z2 relays out. Gave them another clean-up and switch verification. They look good. Now, I'm wondering if this could be related to the player unit somehow.
So, I start up a game (with the invalid scoring at O relay and trough switch). I manually triggered the N (10pt) M(100pt) and L(1,000pt) relays. When the 100 score wheel is in position 9 and I hit it again (either by N rolling over or by engaging M) both M and L relays engage and lock on. This was on player 1. Player 2 was okay. Player 3 was okay. Player 4 displayed the locking problem.
Next ball: The problem moves to player 2 and 3. Player 1 and 4 are okay. So, I'm wondering if I have issues with the player unit, and if that could be related to the errant scoring at O relay and trough switch.
Startup sequence is finishing now (except for the bogus scoring on O and trough switch).
What do ya think?

Edit: I cleaned the reels and they still sometimes stick. It seems intermittent with the M and L coils locking. I'm wondering if it is something upstream. So, here's what's happening.
I'm starting a game and the ball is NOT in the outhole. So, when I get to step 10 it should stop there.

Going back to the startup sequence. I'm at the end of step 10.
10.Player unit is now at the "home" position ("player 1, ball 1" position). This is the P5A and P5B switches on the player unit, which is the switch stack closest to the backglass with only 2 switches. This causes the Ax relay to reset and the bonus unit to reset (if the game has a bonus unit). Often the P5A and P5B switches are dirty/mis-adjusted which will not let the score motor stop running.

I "assume" the player unit is in home position because I'm at player 1 ball 1. AX relay has reset. I "assume" the bonus unit reset. Let's investigate that, perhaps? When I get to this point, I get one 1,000 point score and the associated chime. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what's causing that!

Any ideas?
And just in case, can anyone send me a picture of the bonus unit in its reset position?

#6 7 years ago

Bump.
Well here's a major update (took lots of time). I'm not done yet, but getting close (I hope)!
I found a closed switch on the roto target relay. Cleaned up all the playfield relays. The roto target disc was off one click so I moved it to where it is supposed to be. Lastly, and what was the big find, was a stuck switch on the 5,000 relay.
Here's the events in the startup sequence now:
1. Press reset and game goes through the startup sequence. The step up coil on the coin unit fires, but it isn't strong enough to always step it up. I can manually hit it to register a stepup and a player add.
2. Now I can play a game. With 1 to 4 players it plays just fine with just a couple of problems.
The 3,000 switch on the left side of the playfield will not score. However, if the special light is lit, it does give a credit when hit. So, the switch is good, but something is bad somewhere.
3. Ball 1, 2 and 3 play just fine with the 3,000 target exception noted above.
4. At the end of the game, the score motor spins and the step down coil on the coin unit fires over and over. So, the game gets stuck there.

I'm going to disassemble the coin unit again and give it another overhaul. I hope that will help. I might need to replace that step up coil, although its resistance appears fine.
Not sure what to do with the 3,000 target.
Anybody have some words of wisdom? I'm getting really excited about getting this thing so close to working!

#8 7 years ago

Hey Chris. This is not that pin. It's one I recently picked up from elsewhere.

#9 7 years ago

Getting closer! The 3,000 target problem was a misaligned switch on the special relay. The game plays now. At the end of the game when the last ball goes in the outhole, the score motor goes into a loop. The down step coil on the coin unit fires over and over.
Next step is to re-evaluate the coin unit and overhaul it. One unusual event is when the special is lit and I hit the target, the special doesn't turn off. More research...

#12 7 years ago

That's great news! Any recommendations for the coin unit count down going over and over at end of game?
I think I'm getting close to getting this baby operational!

#13 7 years ago

Holy Cow! It's almost operational! Thanks to Rick (Magic City Pinball League-not sure if he's on here or not) he recommended that I overhaul the coin unit one more time! And now it works! I just have one switch, the left roto target that isn't scoring. The relay fires but it doesn't score. However, if I lift the playfield and trigger it, it will score. So, I'm pretty sure this is just a misadjusted switch(s) on the left roto relay.
Thanks for the suggestions I've received. And I just wanted to document this in case it might be of use to someone in the future.
Just another couple of tweaks and I can start tearing it down for a restoration.
cheers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Enaud.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jet-spin-please-help-me-finish-up-the-startup-sequence?tu=Enaud and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.