Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jet spin - bonus wipers (resized).jpg
jet spin - coil (resized).jpg
jet spin - bonus ratchet 2 (resized).jpg
bonus unit (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I just started working on a Jet Spin I picked up. There is an issue with the bonus unit. It looks like someone added a tooth to the gear? I'm not really sure whats going on here. There is only 1 post for the switches, then this extra tooth thing. The bracket for the reset coil is broken so until my parts get here I can't test much just yet. It needs to be pulled apart and cleaned still. There is also 2 wires that are next to the bonus unit just tied together. Here is a pic of my unit.

bonus unit (resized).jpgbonus unit (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Is there definitely no existing tooth where that one was added? Or is the existing tooth worn out?

Wondering if it was just a repair, or they had to modify a gear wheel that came from another game, or they were trying to rig it so it could add more bonus points than it did originally (?)

#3 2 years ago

The tooth it is covering is the one so it can't go any further. Problem is the clock spring hits the screws and doesn't go any further anyway. Looks like it may have been epoxied in as well. The screws do not move.. time for the dremel I guess

#4 2 years ago

I used a dremel on the screws to get the piece off. besides these little screws, it was also put on with CA glue.. Wow does that give off evil fumes when grinding it.. My eyes were burning for hours after..

#5 2 years ago

yeah, someone replaced the ratchet ... or spun it around due to worn teeth ... and had to fill in the missing tooth.

a ratchet from a credit unit or continuous stepper may work. You can grind off the appropriate tooth. You have parts laying around?

the dangling wire should attach to an eyelet and get screwed to the unit frame. Is there an eyelet on one of the coil stops?

I'll take some pics of a jet spin bonus unit later today and post them tomorrow.

#6 2 years ago

Thanks. Pictures would be great. I can hopefully get it back together tonight enough to test it and count the steps. One coil bracket was broken and the other is missing 2 of the allen head screws, which probably disappeared with the eyelet. The tooth that was added was over the "missing" tooth so it can't advance further. Teeth don't look especially worn to me. I just don't know how many steps its supposed to have. As far as spare parts go, I don't have any at this time. I have someone that is supposed to be selling me a bunch of spare parts, but hasn't come through just yet.

#7 2 years ago

ratchet and wire pic below. Wire pic I didn't focus on the eyelet, but you can see it under the allen head screw on the coil bracket.

pic is taken at unit reset.

Frenchmarky's idea of someone changing the bonus amount is looking like the right answer. ~15000 looks like the factory limit.

dunno if wiper/contact plate changes would be needed and it's not obvious what stops the unit from stepping until the peg hits the switches from the wrong side.

jet spin - bonus ratchet 2 (resized).jpgjet spin - bonus ratchet 2 (resized).jpgjet spin - bonus wipers (resized).jpgjet spin - bonus wipers (resized).jpgjet spin - coil (resized).jpgjet spin - coil (resized).jpg

#8 2 years ago

Thanks for the pics. That should clear up what I need. I'll check the wiper disc orientation as well. From what I can see, my gear is in the same position as yours and the step with a missing tooth is in the same spot. Hopefully this mod was just an "engineer" trying to modify the game..

To be clear on the wire grounded to the frame of the reset coil - Mine is 2 wires currently tied together. I'll look at mine closer tonight, but it looks like in your 2nd pic, there is the same or very similar color connected to a light socket on the lower left and another socket on the close to top left. I see in pic 3 where its grounded to, but not sure if its the same color combo?

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

~15000 looks like the factory limit. dunno if wiper/contact plate changes would be needed and it's not obvious what stops the unit from stepping until the peg hits the switches from the wrong side.

The gear wheel in the pic is going to move counterclockwise 15 steps until it hits the blank tooth, right? In that case I wonder if with that added tooth, the torsion spring would bind up before the pin made it all the way to the other side of the switch stack(?)

I actually pondered bumping my Fast Draw up to a 19K or 20K bonus until I saw, oh, right, would have to add a tooth and cut another tooth out so it stops at the new limit. Forget that!

#10 2 years ago

I'll count it tonight, but my guess is it will be 15 steps. It does look like the intention was to get it past the 15k mark. The brass screws they used were not set in all the way and were catching on the clock spring, so it never could advance further. The screws were drilled into the gear, but doesn't appear threaded. They used CA glue to hold the whole piece on including gluing the screws into the hole. I used my dremel to cut them out, but was overpowered by the fumes to clean it up properly. I'm going to attack it again with the dremel and either have compressed air blowing on it or my shop vac to remove the fumes as I clean it up the rest of the way.

#11 2 years ago

I went through the bonus stepper tonight and have it working up and down. I really had to cut down the up spring - the long one - to get it to count up well. The pivots are all moving free and the coil looks aligned. Its 15 steps, then stops with a missing tooth, where the add on was. Wiper board appears to be aligned. Must have been trying to get more bonus..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jet-spin-bonus-unit-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.