• Latest reply 11 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TIP122.JPG
#1 11 years ago

I am new to pinball repair. I'm working on a Williams Space Station (1987) system 11 machine. Machine is great - but I was playing with the sensitivity of the Jet bumper and now the bumper stays activiated (down). Since I'm new to this, I've had a lot of learning to do, and after checking everything I know how - this is what I think I've got:
The switch that actuates the solenoid is not a switch that can be checked with the on-board test. With an ohm meter - there is no short in that switch.
The switch that indicates the solenoid is actuated (bumper down) is tests fine (#60)
So of the two wires that go to the solenoid, the one goes to ground to actuate the solenoid is always grounded even though the bumper switch is not activated.
So now what? Where should I be looking to find the reason it is always grounded?
I inspected the boards visually and don't see anything unusual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 11 years ago

You'll need to find the transistor that drives that bumper solenoid, and test that. Most likely it's shorted. The manual should show you which transistor drives that solenoid.

If you don't have a copy of the manual you can download one from www.ipdb.org. Do you have a digital multimeter? You'll also want to check the diode for that solenoid, if it's bad and you replace the transistor and the diode is bad, it can blow the new transistor.

#3 11 years ago

Thanks - you got me on the right track. Sure enough a visual inspection of Q77 (A TIP122) looks like it overheated. - I will replace it and its driver transistor - and check the diode. Now I need to figure out what caused it in the first place. Maybe it has the wrong fuse size? Is this common?

TIP122.JPGTIP122.JPG

#4 11 years ago

Yep, somebody probably put an overrated fuse in and then when the solenoid locked on instead of blowing the fuse it burned the transistor.

Definitely check all the fuses - the worst case I've found was a 20 amp fuse where a 1 amp belongs but at least I haven't found nails jammed in the fuseholders on my machines like others have seen!

#5 11 years ago

I think the somebody who put in the overrated fuse in this case -was me! I didn't check and it was a 2a - I mistakenly put in a five. Anyway I removed the board soldered in two new TIP122's and two driver transistors and put the right fuse back in. Bumpers work again!

I know transistors generally are either good or bad - but I swear the bumpers are stonger than before - maybe just disconnections and reconnections made some better contacts.

Thanks for your help.

#6 11 years ago

Glad to hear you got it working again, nice job!

#7 11 years ago

Nice clear picture

1 week later
#8 11 years ago

Nevermind.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jet-bumper-solenoid-staying-actuated and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.