New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 146172)

Jet Bumper on F14 stopped working

By Grasshopperski

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Grasshopperski
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

s11pop1.gif

#1 4 years ago

Went and turned on the game this am to play a couple of games before work, and I noticed that the jet bumper is not working, it worked the last time I played which was a couple of days ago. I manually tried to trip it while the game was in play, nothing happened. Turned the game off, lifted up the playfield and manually moved the rod assembly and there is no binding. Since I am relatively new to trouble shooting this game, where do you recommend I start to narrow down as to what is causing the jet bumper not to work.

#2 4 years ago

Go into switch edge test and make sure the switch is working (switch 28).

#3 4 years ago

Thanks I will try that tonight when I get home from work. If by chance the switch has failed, what would be the next step in diagnosing this problem?

#4 4 years ago

First make sure the switch has not come loose or gotten bent and is being closed when the pop bumper ring is hit. The jet bumper switch is part of the switch matrix (there's a diagram in the manual or at the link below) so make sure the row and column wires have connectivity to other switches in the same row/column.

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Williams_F-14_Tomcat_Tech_Chart.pdf

#5 4 years ago

Quite a while back I think mine stopped working. If I recall I think there is a fuse under the playfield that might be blown.

#6 4 years ago

Just got finished checking things out and here is what I found:
Solenoid test, low and behold jet bumper is now working, (I checked all of the fuses all good)
Here is where I am confused Switch test:
RC Ball Through
05 12
RT Ball Through
05 11
Ball Shooter
05 16
Switch edge test:
When I pressed the left flipper I get the following message
Left flip E05
06 63
When I pressed the right flipper I got the following message
E05 R Flipper
06 15

Finally going through the history (I guess) I had a multi ball and beneath that on score display 3 and 4 it said error 28

I have the oem manual and looked at the switch matrix and to me I can quasi follow things but where do I go from here?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Grasshopperski:

RC Ball Through
05 12
RT Ball Through
05 11
Ball Shooter
05 16

This is because you still have the balls in the ball through/shooter lane. The corresponding switches for them are triggered. Just remove the balls from the game, so these switches don't get triggered.

If you got a switch 28 error it means the popbumper score switch hasnt been triggered for 6(?) consecutive games. If the pop bumper is the only thing that isnt working then you can probably rule out a switch matrix problem. I'd check for loose wires around the pop bumper, and check whether the switches are properly activated when you manually activate the pop bumper.

Check out vid's guide on rebuilding pop bumbers: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-rebuilding-pop-bumpers

It's a goldmine of info on how everything should be working, even if you don't want to completely rebuild them.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Grasshopperski:

Just got finished checking things out and here is what I found:
Solenoid test, low and behold jet bumper is now working, (I checked all of the fuses all good)
on score display 3 and 4 it said error 28

In solenoid test, the CPU fired the jet bumper. So the solenoid firing circuit is good, the MPU is just not being told to fire the jet by the ball during gameplay. You have a problem with the special solenoid switch/wiring that is triggered when a ball hits the jet bumper. You won't get a switch matrix report from this switch, there is a secondary switch for scoring that is activated by the jet bumper mechanism AFTER it has fired. The scoring switch is the one that reports to the CPU, and it can only do so after the coils fires, so it is of little use to you for troubleshooting. This is why it said error 28, because the secondary scoring switch had not been activated in 60 balls or 20 games.

s11pop1.gif

#9 4 years ago

You guys are AWESOME... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I will redo my testing tonight now that I know the proper procedures and insights

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Atlantic City, NJ
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 85.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 17.00
1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cumming, GA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.75
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside