Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 275 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture d’écran 2018-05-01 à 07.13.07 (resized).png
    7ec50dbdbd8102c26c03e91adf319a0da5fe24e50a803d78f531c3aafedd0cbc_(resized).jpg
    pinballshirtlol_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-25_at_1.33.41_PM_(resized).png
    download_(resized).jpg
    2016-02-25-12-58-42--669660490_(resized).jpeg
    images-6_(resized).jpeg
    images-7_(resized).jpeg
    images-8_(resized).jpeg
    2016-02-25-12-58-36--878899182_(resized).jpeg
    2016-02-25-12-58-11--910333237_(resized).jpeg
    2016-02-25-12-58-18-220976026_(resized).jpeg
    images-5_(resized).jpeg
    pony_(resized).jpg
    jjp_(resized).jpg
    Steak-Knives_(resized).jpg
    There are 274 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from johngravenews:

I suspect the focus will be on getting new customer cash in a.s.a.p.

Is that what you would do? Crap all over the current customer base again?

I don't see that as a winning strategy. If they invested, they have a clear picture of all the financials (something nobody here has). I'm sure they want a return on their investment. But going after it too quick at the expense of everyone that put money into it already would be the fastest way to 1000 people demanding their money back. I'm confident they have a better plan than "Destroy JJP". And that is all this idea would do. That "new money" can't come from Hobbit without killing all the old money.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Yeah, really. JJP has generally caused "pinflation", which helps none of us. What pinball needs from JJP is for them to produce a better mousetrap at a better price than what Stern is willing to do. Producing ever more expensive pins coupled with ever increasing delays does no one any favors. JJP can struggle with making enough pricey pins to pay the bills, or go right after Stern head-to-head with a better product at a lower price point. They have avoided the skirmish by building complex pins that can't come in on time or (most likely) on budget. Stern has obliged by jacking up their prices to keep pace, while not innovating anything. I stand behind my assertion that JJP has not been generally beneficial to pinball. I hope with the new leadership they go right at Stern and create competition, resulting in both companies building better pinball machines.

Once again JJP did not make Stern raise their prices, Stern did that themselves. Did Stern raise prices and start including a shaker motor, invisiglass / PDI glass, offer regular code updates, more tech / features, etc on their LEs? No. They just waited to see if people would pay the prices and they are.

Maybe blame the buyers and not either company as they are the ones choosing to buy the games. Prices can also come down if people are not buying the products but that isn't happening.

At some point buyers will say enough is enough and sales will slow. We are already seeing that with potential Ghostbusters customers saying they won't buy the game unless it comes with a color display. Also, recent Stern LEs don't appear to flying off the shelves.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

This is probably REALLY good news for everyone with a hobbit on order.

It really shows how close JJP was to pulling a jpop. JJP apparently was really desperate to give up control.
    But this is good for JJP. Someone with experience and brains needed to take control.
    Now they need to just change the name of the company and logo and they'll be all set.

#54 8 years ago

The sad part is, long after the doors are shut on JJP, the JJP fans will still be defending every foolish choice Jack made when he started this company. No different than the morons defending JPOP years ago. When are you people going to learn that Spooky is the only company, aside from Stern, that has a clue!......Walk before you run! Say goodbye to your precious Lawlor game, the BOM will be cut in half or possibly not produced without a $10k price tag.....and honestly, that's ok, because BOM or fancy screens with computers, don't equate to more fun.......Pinball 101!

Ok boys, time to down vote the voice of reason.......

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Say goodbye to your precious Lawlor game, the BOM will be cut in half or possibly not produced without a $10k price tag.....

What, like it won't have slide rails under the playfield?

#56 8 years ago

The sad part is, long after the doors are shut on JJP, the JJP fans will still be defending every foolish choice Jack made when he started this company. No different than the morons defending JPOP years ago. When are you people going to learn that Spooky is the only company, aside from Stern, that has a clue!......Walk before you run! Say goodbye to your precious Lawlor game, the BOM will be cut in half or possibly not produced without a $10k price tag.....and honestly, that's ok, because BOM or fancy screens with computers, don't equate to more fun.......Pinball 101!

Will this make you happy? Why try to ruin people's joy. If someone wants to be a fanboy, let them, whether it's JJP or Stern. I'll take happiness and excitement over sadness and depression any day.

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Will this make you happy? Why try to ruin people's joy. If someone wants to be a fanboy, let them, whether it's JJP or Stern. I'll take happiness and excitement over sadness and depression any day.

Why is it depressing??? Better companies fail everyday. I don't want JJP to fail, they built an amazing machine, but it should have been obvious to many that they would, given the risks they took.......They jumped in head first! I am a realist, JJP is not, that makes us natural opposites.

#58 8 years ago

I don't think the doors are going to shut anytime soon. The investors stopped that. But if game three doesn't go smoothly and generate cash, I can't see the investors continuing. They're smart enough to move on.
    Game three needs to be the perfect balance of what's expected of a JJP game and price, with no preorder policy.

#59 8 years ago

Why is it depressing??? Better companies fail everyday. I don't want JJP to fail, they built an amazing machine, but it should have been obvious to many that they would, given the risks they took.......They jumped in head first! I am a realist, JJP is not, that makes us natural opposites.

What you're trying to convey as fact is sad. Could JJP go under at some point... absolutely. To your point, Stern could too. Your same basic message was posted by many about WOZ. Everyone (eventually) got them. Same for Hobbit. Test machines in the wild... shipping soon (May ish?). Be positive!

#60 8 years ago

So much hate towards JJP, sad. Unlike JPOP JJP actually shipped a game, thousands of them and is about to ship their second...JPOP also stole people's money while JJP didn't so please don't compare the two as it's disrespectful to all the hard working people at JJP.

I don't see your point other then trying to be rude by calling people that like JJP morons.

#61 8 years ago

I think it's safe to say that JJP has probably done more with pinball and for pinball and brought more tangible results to the table than the people who are hating on them or rooting against them. It's not easy to start a business and maintain it, especially when you're building the entire thing from the ground up and also trying to out innovate the competition with new things that haven't been tried and tested before. I want them to succeed. I believe they will. It's difficult to launch any company and get out of the red in the first few years. Give them 5 years to get it together. That time has about come. Let's see what happens in the next 5 years. WOZ and Hobbit are incredible machines. Lawlor does not disappoint.

#62 8 years ago

Can we all agree that If it wasn't for a white knight, JJP would have failed and screwed people out of their Hobbit money??? Or is this statement untrue?

#63 8 years ago

Can we all agree that If it wasn't for a white knight, JJP would have failed and screwed people out of their Hobbit money??? Or is this statement untrue?

This sounds like speculation to me, with no factual evidence provided to support it.

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

I think it's safe to say that JJP has probably done more with pinball and for pinball and brought more tangible results to the table than the people who are hating on them or rooting against them. It's not easy to start a business and maintain it, especially when you're building the entire thing from the ground up and also trying to out innovate the competition with new things that haven't been tried and tested before. I want them to succeed. I believe they will. It's difficult to launch any company and get out of the red in the first few years. Give them 5 years to get it together. That time has about come. Let's see what happens in the next 5 years. WOZ and Hobbit are incredible machines. Lawlor does not disappoint.

This is a great point. I think if JJP can survive after the first 3-4 pins, he'll be in for the long haul. Most of us unrealistically expected JJP to be able to build & ship pins like Stern who has 40 (?) years of experience. I know some of that was fueled by Jack...

#65 8 years ago

You're spot on man, but it's no use trying to convince people of this. At this point, the white knight has appeared. They have secured financial support. The ship is afloat. For now. The big question is how will Hobbit sell. If it sells well and orders keep coming in, JJP will survive. If it doesn't sell well, things might get dicey.

The thing none of us know or can speculate is this: how far will the new leadership team go to get everything in the green? The could be willing to lose $50 Million because they see an upside of $100 Million if turns a corner. I'm just tossing out made up numbers.

It's hard to talk objectively about JJP without people claiming you're rooting against pinball and to stop. Jack's business practices were juvenile and emotionally charged. These new guys will run it like a business. Let's at least give them a chance to succeed. The past is gone. People's pain and suffering waiting for Hobbit is almost over.

If the pin is not fun, it won't have been worth it. I'm still unsure about that game. If games don't ship mid-March, prepare for all hell to break loose.

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

This is a great point. I think if JJP can survive after the first 3-4 pins, he'll be in for the long haul. Most of us unrealistically expected JJP to be able to build & ship pins like Stern who has 40 (?) years of experience. I know some of that was fueled by Jack...

You do realize, with its current rate of production, game 4 will ship in 2022. And that's being kind. It's been 7 years now with one pin.

#67 8 years ago
    Quoted from sevenrites:

This sounds like speculation to me, with no factual evidence provided to support it.

It's not speculation at all. People have heard from vendors who were not paid. Parts weren't made. Hence why Hobbit never started to get built. These guys brought cash in to clear up the issues and get manufacturing back on track.

#68 8 years ago

JJP is privately held. We simply don't know. I know I received my WOZ as ordered and expect Hobbit as well

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

JJP is privately held. We simply don't know. I know I received my WOZ as ordered and expect Hobbit as well

Let's all do this...let's just wait until Mid-March to see if Hobbit ships when they said it would and stop speculating on their finances. Deal?

#70 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Let's all do this...let's just wait until Mid-March to see if Hobbit ships when they said it would and stop speculating on their finances. Deal?

This is the internet. No deal.

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

You do realize, with its current rate of production, game 4 will ship in 2022. And that's being kind. It's been 7 years now with one pin.

I'm sure that's what his goal is.

JJP will not be able to stay in business at the current rate of production. Everyone knows that. He's not trying to be a boutique.

#72 8 years ago
    Quoted from visi0n:

Just looks to me like JJP is growing
    I could see a scenario play out where Jack is in a Steve Jobs type role leading products and someone else is running the business and plant operations. I get all fanboy giddy about the idea of a future where JJP is kicking out a couple titles each year on par with Woz. If something like this helps to make that a reality, good on them for the move!

Crack kills.

#73 8 years ago
    Quoted from johngravenews:

What do we think the implications for Pat's machine will be?

I was thinking this exact thing. Maybe the implications will be less extreme than we thought? With an original theme, no money will need to be spent on a license or royalties paid for music, images, and art.

On the other hand, I know Lawlor is known for some pretty high end stuff. I'd hate to see potential financial cutbacks slice out some neat things that he had planned.

At the end of the day though, I'm just happy that JJP exists (and of course, the other small manufacturers), creating more competition in the industry.

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinstor12:

His (joe's) objective mentions increasing value thru turnaround, acquisitions, and mergers.
    Guess he is here for a turnaround.
    The other two would be shockers.

Don't be too shocked. He's there to turn it around, and the reason the investors want to turn it around is to increase value. And when (if) that value is increased...

#75 8 years ago

Any investor is going to look at the margins and how to increase them. It is what it is.

#76 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

How can you say this within moments of saying:

Quoted from kaneda:

People have heard from vendors who were not paid.

and:

Quoted from kaneda:

The ship is afloat. For now.

and:

Quoted from kaneda:

I'm just tossing out made up numbers.

and:

Quoted from kaneda:

If games don't ship mid-March, prepare for all hell to break loose.

And the name of your podcast thread currently states: "Stern Has No Competition"

You are speculating all over the place and then agreeing not to speculate? You even put a deadline on it for when hell will break loose.

Quoted from SilverBallz:

Game three needs to be the perfect balance of what's expected of a JJP game and price, with no preorder policy.

And you too. What does that "perfect balance" need to be? You troll every JJP thread, and now you are trying to build up your straw man argument by putting expectations of "perfect balance", so please, what is that perfect balance of what's expected of a JJP game, and at what price? Speculate away for us.

#77 8 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

How can you say this within moments of saying:

and:

and:

and:

And the name of your podcast thread currently states: "Stern Has No Competition"
    You are speculating all over the place and then agreeing not to speculate? You even put a deadline on it for when hell will break loose.

And you too. What does that "perfect balance" need to be? You troll every JJP thread, and now you are trying to build up your straw man argument by putting expectations of "perfect balance", so please, what is that perfect balance of what's expected of a JJP game, and at what price? Speculate away for us.

You need to relax. Take a few deep breaths and come back when you can settle down. Not everything anyone says against JJP is trolling. And you certainly don't need to take things so personal. In fact, what i said was a positive. I think JJP is on the right track (assuming TH gets delivered soon).

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

Don't be too shocked. He's there to turn it around, and the reason the investors want to turn it around is to increase value. And when (if) that value is increased...

Obviously.

Uh, u missed my point, but that's ok.

Carry on.

#79 8 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Let me know when JJP releases a game thats as fun as GOT, Mustang, or Metallica for under 5k. Keep your LCD and give me a fun game for less then 5k.

Boom! Smassa drops the mic and walk off the stage.

#80 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

People have heard from vendors who were not paid

Heresay. Are there any threads on here at all where you don't try and get your digs on JJP? It's nauseating.

#81 8 years ago

Having an influx of money will definitely speed the process along in this case. You still have to wonder what the real situation was. One would have to think that a new sound, successful business wouldn't be bringing on investors unless it was truly necessary.

I bought a WOZ and have a deposit on TH, so I want to see everything go well for JJP, but I still don't agree with how people get lead on in the pinball world.

Running and owning a small business is tough, and I've been doing this for the last 20+ years, so I'm speaking from experience. I've never seen an industry/business that asks the customers for an interest free loan and then we all wait to get our return with no true commitment date. This doesn't exist in the business world...I guess there's always a first.

Many people are frustrated because of all the broken promises. The optimist is preyed upon in hopes of that final produced product, but the reality is that hope shouldn't be the fuel for a business to secure a loan either.

#82 8 years ago

There are no such things as white knights in the business world. A group invested into JJP because they saw potential to make money. If JJP didn't have this potential they would not have wasted their time or money.

I'm certain it is hard for Jack to give up some control of what he built but everyone should be happy that he is willing to do what is going to keep the company alive and hopefully move JJP past the start up phase and into a profitable company. This can only be seen as a positive as JJP restructures it's management team and moves forward. I'm personally looking forward to seeing people get their hobbits and seeing what JJP can do next. I'm not sure why some people are so against JJP's existence and take such childish joy in JJP's failures.

#83 8 years ago

I'm hopeful it is positive but why no official announcement ? Apparently CEO since December. That title means you are calling the shots and are in complete control of the company doesn't it ?

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

You need to relax. Take a few deep breaths and come back when you can settle down. Not everything anyone says against JJP is trolling. And you certainly don't need to take things so personal. In fact, what i said was a positive. I think JJP is on the right track (assuming TH gets delivered soon).

I'm very relaxed as I wait to hear what the "perfect balance" is from you. I'm not taking your unwillingness to complete your thought at all. You had to have that perfect balance of JJP expectations and price in mind to say that, and I am very curious to hear if that is a realistic expectation or another way of setting up expectations to fail. That is what is known as a strawman argument. You were stating a mythical goal JJP should achieve at a price point that you felt was correct, and I want to know where that is so I can evaluate it as being realistic or an unobtainable pie in the sky.

And that was an excellent dig on the way out with "(assuming TH gets delivered soon)". Again, you are sticking the soon on there, just like Kaneda did to make sure it is harder to get to. Again, another start at a strawman?

#85 8 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Yeah, really. JJP has generally caused "pinflation", which helps none of us. What pinball needs from JJP is for them to produce a better mousetrap at a better price than what Stern is willing to do. Producing ever more expensive pins coupled with ever increasing delays does no one any favors. JJP can struggle with making enough pricey pins to pay the bills, or go right after Stern head-to-head with a better product at a lower price point. They have avoided the skirmish by building complex pins that can't come in on time or (most likely) on budget. Stern has obliged by jacking up their prices to keep pace, while not innovating anything. I stand behind my assertion that JJP has not been generally beneficial to pinball. I hope with the new leadership they go right at Stern and create competition, resulting in both companies building better pinball machines.

Liked your earlier post, but don't agree with this one. Don't agree that you need to constrain JJP with competing on price. JJP's goal of competing on the high-end of the spectrum is their prerogative! My issue with their company/product is they aren't very good at actually producing pinball machines. Most of the community cut them slack with WOZ (since it was their first product), but The Hobbit appears to be just as painful. The other issue is reliability and longevity. I have no interest in "investing" in such an expensive machine that hasn't proven itself in terms of reliability and longevity. If JJP doesn't survive, the few pins they've produced won't be fun to maintain over the long haul.

#86 8 years ago
    Quoted from jungle:

I'm hopeful it is positive but why no official announcement ? Apparently CEO since December. That title means you are calling the shots and are in complete control of the company doesn't it ?

I honestly think new ownership didn't want this to get out or they just want to stay behind the scenes.

#87 8 years ago

For all of you above who are blaming JJP for "pinflation", you told JJP you were cool with their pricing when you bought WOZ and when you sent in your "prepay and hope" money for TH.

#88 8 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

For all of you above who are blaming JJP for "pinflation", you told JJP you were cool with their pricing when you bought WOZ and when you sent in your "prepay and hope" money for TH.

Why do you think these are the same people? Are you just lumping everyone who is not you into one pile?

#89 8 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

I'm comfortable with the price I paid for WOZ and what was delivered for that price.

#90 8 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I honestly think new ownership didn't want this to get out or they just want to stay behind the scenes.

Well plastering CEO Jersey Jack Pinball on your Linked in page doesn't help if that's the case.

#91 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Why do you think these are the same people? Are you just lumping everyone who is not you into one pile?

OK, I'll stand kind of corrected I was referring to anyone who buys a JJP pin, or sends in pre-hope money who also whines about how expensive the pins are.

#92 8 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Quoted from jungle:

Well plastering CEO Jersey Jack Pinball on your Linked in page doesn't help if that's the case.

I tend to agree they specifically were NOT planning to make this public. Not that it was necessarily a secret, they just weren't going to make a PR annoucement. Hell, if you look at Jack's Linkedin profile, he still lists his role as CEO and President...

Why?

Well, I think its obvious (see the 90 posts prior to this one and the 90-ish that may follow).

#93 8 years ago

Dave! Just one little button....and Pinside is instantly so much better.

image.pngimage.png

#94 8 years ago

The sad part is, long after the doors are shut on JJP, the JJP fans will still be defending every foolish choice Jack made when he started this company. No different than the morons defending JPOP years ago. When are you people going to learn that Spooky is the only company, aside from Stern, that has a clue!....

Clueless

#95 8 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

There are no such things as white knights in the business world. A group invested into JJP because they saw potential to make money. If JJP didn't have this potential they would not have wasted their time or money.
    I'm certain it is hard for Jack to give up some control of what he built but everyone should be happy that he is willing to do what is going to keep the company alive and hopefully move JJP past the start up phase and into a profitable company. This can only be seen as a positive as JJP restructures it's management team and moves forward. I'm personally looking forward to seeing people get their hobbits and seeing what JJP can do next. I'm not sure why some people are so against JJP's existence and take such childish joy in JJP's failures.

This was an essential move - it wasn't like there was a choice. Go under or take the deal.

Anyway, hopefully some great games will now come out this year and next.

#96 8 years ago

Didn't Stern bring in "investors" too and weren't they teetering on going out of business not that long ago? Or is this statement untrue?

#97 8 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

So much hate towards JJP, sad. Unlike JPOP JJP actually shipped a game, thousands of them and is about to ship their second...JPOP also stole people's money while JJP didn't so please don't compare the two as it's disrespectful to all the hard working people at JJP.
    I don't see your point other then trying to be rude by calling people that like JJP morons.

He's part of a handful that will be spewing the same BS when Lawlor's pin is ready to start shipping too and TH has been delivered.

Absolutely rude, hateful and clueless.

#98 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Dave! Just one little button....and Pinside is instantly so much better.

image.png

Boring. I like seeing Pinside as it is written. I have 1 ignored user, and that was someone posting very annoying topics 5 times a day (they are probably gone or frozen by now). Sometimes someone who annoys me can say something insightful. Even when they are just baiting.

I freaking love pinball. Some of the people posting here have been to my house and we get along great. I don't care who made a game as long as it is good. I can disagree with JJP sometimes, and still support them like a fanboy. I can buy a brand new Stern and even though it is a much cheaper build than they used to do I can still support them. The only reason I'm not supporting Spooky is I didn't find the game that much fun... But I'm open to the prospect in the future. I can handle others who disagree.

#99 8 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I have 1 ignored user, and that was someone posting very annoying topics 5 times a day (they are probably gone or frozen by now).

Nope. I'm still here.

#100 8 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

There are no such things as white knights in the business world.

See Allied Corp./Martin Marietta/ Bendix. For an example of a takeover that blew up in Bill Agee's face, thanks to a white knight.

There are 274 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jersey-joe-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.