3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 275 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 20 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Capture d’écran 2018-05-01 à 07.13.07 (resized).png
    7ec50dbdbd8102c26c03e91adf319a0da5fe24e50a803d78f531c3aafedd0cbc_(resized).jpg
    pinballshirtlol_(resized).png
    Screen_Shot_2016-02-25_at_1.33.41_PM_(resized).png
    download_(resized).jpg
    2016-02-25-12-58-42--669660490_(resized).jpeg
    images-6_(resized).jpeg
    images-7_(resized).jpeg
    images-8_(resized).jpeg
    2016-02-25-12-58-36--878899182_(resized).jpeg
    2016-02-25-12-58-11--910333237_(resized).jpeg
    2016-02-25-12-58-18-220976026_(resized).jpeg
    images-5_(resized).jpeg
    pony_(resized).jpg
    jjp_(resized).jpg
    Steak-Knives_(resized).jpg

There are 274 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
    #1 3 years ago

New senior leadership at JJP.... And, yay! He's a Tarheel!
    Looks like Jack is retaining role as President.

image_(resized).png

"Jersey Joe Pinball" credited to Kaneda. All rights reserved.

#2 3 years ago

Investor take over?

#3 3 years ago

Kinda looks that way.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from wxforecaster:

Investor take over?

Not surprising.

Hard to imagine investors would come in and bail-out JJP without some significant control over the company.
    Jacks being kept on as President, and will likely continue as the figurehead of the company.

Small tradeoff for keeping the company from going under.

#5 3 years ago

Just looks to me like JJP is growing

I could see a scenario play out where Jack is in a Steve Jobs type role leading products and someone else is running the business and plant operations. I get all fanboy giddy about the idea of a future where JJP is kicking out a couple titles each year on par with Woz. If something like this helps to make that a reality, good on them for the move!

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from visi0n:

I could see a scenario play out where Jack is in a Steve Jobs type role leading products and someone else is running the business and plant operations. I get all fanboy giddy about the idea of a future where JJP is kicking out a couple titles each year on par with Woz. If something like this helps to make that a reality, good on them for the move!

I dunno if it necessarily means they're "growing"- the important thing it they are still here and (hopefully, very soon) shipping game 2.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from visi0n:

Wow all the way to Steve Jobs. He put an lcd in a pin slow down.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

Wow all the way to Steve Jobs. He put an lcd in a pin slow down.

It was a bit more than an LCD. Assembled a team that built some pretty fantastic software, a innovative power IO driver system, pushed lighting to new places. Isn't that what Jobs did to the phone? Took a phone and said 'hey engineers, lets combine the iPod and the cellphone and use a multi touch screen'. Small innovations that made big splashes.

As an person who has to bring peoples' crazy ideas to fruition, I like this perspective on Steve Jobs:

(NSFW audio)

#9 3 years ago

Whichever direction...agreed. At least JJP is still alive and kicking. A lot of money laid out on games for pre-order, so at least it didn't go the Popadiuk / Predator route if it was a bail out.

#10 3 years ago

Say what you want, but this is not good.......But clearly their only shot.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Bringing in an experienced manager is not good? Seems like a smart move to me. Jack is passionate but a business needs to cover the basics off too and that didn't seem to be his strong point all the time.

#12 3 years ago

I know the CEO...JJP is in real good hands.

#13 3 years ago

Dude, you stole my Joke!!!! At least give me credit.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Dude, you stole my Joke!!!! At least give me credit.

Screen_Shot_2016-02-16_at_8.20.04_PM_(resized).png

Correct. And done.

#15 3 years ago

Interestingly this guy isn't listed as one of the three big investors though.

#16 3 years ago

This isn't news really. We heard a while back about the financial muscle joining JJP. This is it. It's not a bad thing or great thing, just a necessary thing. Jack scaled big without manufacturing cred and needed help. I don't want to see him fail even if I personally don't like a lot of their tactics. They need to do a few things moving forward to turn a page.

1. Stop making widebody pins. I've never played a widebody that was more fun to shoot than a standard size pin. Plus he's trying to do too much with each pin. Win on details, quality, art, fun...not just tons of stuff.

Yeah, that's it for me

#17 3 years ago

Yea,....Its hard to say but layers of management on a small scale start up is typically not a good sign. We will see. My view is negative

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

This isn't news really.

Disagree.

You may say it isn't shocking (I said as much as well), but it is news.

I suspect if you got him on your Me-Cast you'd consider it news

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

1. Stop making widebody pins. I've never played a widebody that was more fun to shoot than a standard size pin. Plus he's trying to do too much with each pin.

Are you trolling, drunk or high? Another thing we'll have to agree to disagree on.. Love some widebody pins...

now playing: Baby Got Back from Sir Mix A Lot

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from visi0n:

Are you trolling, drunk or high? Another thing we'll have to agree to disagree on.. Love some widebody pins...
    now playing: Baby Got Back from Sir Mix Alot

Kaneda is actually dead on. If JJP wants to survive, they need to ditch widebodies for several reasons, the first being costs. They need to go after the pro market and forget this Lamborghini model BS.......Find some new suppliers and Walk before you run! No one cares if you can build a space ship, if it blows up on the way to the moon. Hire some damn people and get that line moving!

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I know the CEO...JJP is in real good hands.

Moves jobs every 2 years...doubt he'll be around for the long haul.

#22 3 years ago

Kaneda is actually dead on. If JJP wants to survive, they need to ditch widebodies for several reasons, the first being costs. They need to go after the pro market and forget this Lamborghini model BS.......Find some new suppliers and Walk before you run!

I guess that was always the romance for me, the idea of a company making something different.. Widebody pins, Williams parts. A nod to the (last) golden age of pinball with a smattering of evolutionary innovation thrown in. I'm not sure I want another company to just slap slight variations of the same layout on increasingly flimsy pieces of wood that are covered in various themes from a small handful of studios and rock bands..

But, I'll admit that pinball isn't served by JJP's presence if they can't step up and ship games, which I think is all this news was about. Getting talent to help with operations, so they can build & ship those suckers and move to the next games. That has to be imperative at this point.

No one cares if you can build a space ship, if it blows up on the way to the moon. Hire some damn people and get that line moving!

I don't think most WOZ's have self-combusted, though I've been around a couple of other boutique pins that were on fire (literally.) It isn't that they blew up going to the moon, they just missed their launch window (alot) and people on the moon base are starving and pissy. They might have even eaten one of their own at this point.

.. okay I'm approaching Kaneda post velocity on this thread. Time to go play pinball. You folks have yourselves a good night!

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from visi0n:

I guess that was always the romance for me, the idea of a company making something different.. Widebody pins, Williams parts. A nod to the (last) golden age of pinball with a smattering of evolutionary innovation thrown in. I'm not sure pinball needs another company to just slap slight variations of the same layout on increasing flimsy pieces of wood that are covered in various themes from a small handful of studios and rock bands..
    But, I'll admit that pinball isn't served by JJP's presence if they can't step up and ship games, which I think is all this news was about. Getting talent to help with operations, so they can build & ship those suckers and move to the next games. That has to be imperative at this point.

I don't think most WOZ's have self-combusted, though I've been around a couple of other boutique pins that were on fire (literally.) It isn't that they blew up going to the moon, they just missed their launch window (alot) and people on the moon base are starving and pissy. They might have even eaten one of their own at this point.
    .. okay I'm approaching Kaneda post velocity on this thread. Time to go play pinball. You folks have yourselves a good night!

I am with you brother, we all love the dream, but at this point, it's about survival.

#24 3 years ago

If JJP wants to survive, they need to ditch widebodies for several reasons, the first being costs.

Adding a 3 inches of extra wood is not going to break the bank.

And not all widebodies are slow:

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Interestingly this guy isn't listed as one of the three big investors though.

The three investors sought him out.

#26 3 years ago

Bazooka Joe Pinball has a nice ring to it.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

» YouTube video

Why do I even bother responding???......Its about ecomonomies of scale and efficiencies with your vendor partners.......Directly and indirectly. This is why most of you are clueless about manufacturing. When you are the new kid on the block, you fall in line, especially if you ever expect to get your parts.......that means standard parts, no custom BS........That's how you survive! It's not just about widebodies, it's about everything......JJP, needs to Stop trying to reinvent pinball, it's not broken!

#28 3 years ago

JJP made one of the most beautiful and innovative pinball machines in recent memory. I hope whatever happens, they survive as a company. Stern needs competition, and buyers needs choices at all ends of the price spectrum.

#29 3 years ago

I don't think JJP has done anything special for pinball except to make delays and higher prices seem the norm rather than the exception. At least their "pay now, hope for it later" model is on the way out--that also has been of no benefit to pinball.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

This isn't news really. We heard a while back about the financial muscle joining JJP. This is it. It's not a bad thing or great thing, just a necessary thing. Jack scaled big without manufacturing cred and needed help. I don't want to see him fail even if I personally don't like a lot of their tactics. They need to do a few things moving forward to turn a page.
    1. Stop making widebody pins. I've never played a widebody that was more fun to shoot than a standard size pin. Plus he's trying to do too much with each pin. Win on details, quality, art, fun...not just tons of stuff.
    Yeah, that's it for me

I LOVE widebody pins. I wish Stern would make some.

#31 3 years ago

Isn't Lawlor's game rumored to be a standard size cabinet?

#32 3 years ago

IMO, one way for JJ to compete vs Stern is to produce what Stern won't, a Widebody pin. Create a niche within a niche market. Kinda like Atari did in the 70s. Once they get their feet under them and producing at a competitive rate, then start mixing it up. They also need to be innovative since they are the new kid on the block. Just my 2 cents. I hope this means good things for the company though.

#33 3 years ago

This is probably REALLY good news for everyone with a hobbit on order.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

I don't think JJP has done anything special for pinball except to make delays and higher prices seem the norm rather than the exception. At least their "pay now, hope for it later" model is on the way out--that also has been of no benefit to pinball.

Really? The only people to blame for higher prices is Stern as they are charging JJP prices for LE's that do not come with a comparable amount of features, tech, code, etc. Kinda like charging $50k for a Ford Fusion, a nice car...but not worth $50k.

JJP brought the fully loaded pinball machine back to this hobby. Stern sadly continues to cut features while increasing prices and makes owners wait months on end for code updates. JJP is also pushing Stern to up their game with Stern finally admitting they need to make the move to an LCD display due to competition.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

» YouTube video

Exactly. What a feed.

My STTNG is as fast a machine as I have owned. Why people keep saying that because you add an inch of plywood to each side of a Playfield it somehow makes it "play slow" clearly has no clues.

rd

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

» YouTube video

Big Game Rocks!

#37 3 years ago

a 2 yr . colleague at best..

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Really? The only people to blame for higher prices is Stern as they are charging JJP prices for LE's that do not come with a comparable amount of features, tech, code, etc. Kinda like charging $50k for a Ford Fusion, a nice car...but not worth $50k.
    JJP brought the fully loaded pinball machine back to this hobby. Stern sadly continues to cut features while increasing prices and makes owners wait months on end for code updates. JJP is also pushing Stern to up their game with Stern finally admitting they need to make the move to an LCD display due to competition.

Lol!

Tank, you post some odd stuff. I never do

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Lol!
    Tank, you post some odd stuff. I never do

Lol. Hey I'm not saying Stern is making bad games, they are certainly not, heck I bought a new Metallica Pro LED last year and love it. I just think that Stern is overcharging and not offering enough value at the LE level after seeing what you get with a JJP game for about the same price.

#40 3 years ago

Tank, please give a detailed description of how Stern prices have equated to JJp pricing, street prices.......Go!

I'm buying full featured Stern games for low 6k, what's street price on a woz standard, what's street price on a hobbit of any version right now?

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

JJP brought the fully loaded pinball machine back to this hobby. Stern continues to cut features while increasing prices and makes owners wait months on end for code updates. JJP is also pushing Stern to up their game with Stern finally admitting they need to make the move to an LCD display due to competition.

Let me know when JJP releases a game thats as fun as GOT, Mustang, or Metallica for under 5k. Keep your LCD and give me a fun game for less then 5k.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lol. Hey I'm not saying Stern is making bad games, they are certainly not, heck I bought a new Metallica Pro LED last year and love it. I just think that Stern is overcharging and not offering enough value at the LE level after seeing what you get with a JJP game for about the same price.

Do you feel you overpaid for your Metallica pro?

#43 3 years ago

His (joe's) objective mentions increasing value thru turnaround, acquisitions, and mergers.

Guess he is here for a turnaround.

The other two would be shockers.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinstor12:

His objective mentions increasing value thru turnaround, acquisitions, and mergers.
    Guess he is here for a turnaround.
    The other two would be shockers.

Maybe he is just here for a reach around and a shocker.

#45 3 years ago

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Do you feel you overpaid for your Metallica pro?

No. I think that Metallica offers the most value out of all recent Stern pro's. The game features very deep code thanks to multiple code updates, metal ramps with laser etching, multiple drop targets, several cool toys, metal powder coated habit rails, metal ball guides, hand drawn artwork, and a lot of shots. I wish all Stern pro's were the same...I look at GOT pro next to MET pro and just scratch my head.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, really. JJP has generally caused "pinflation", which helps none of us. What pinball needs from JJP is for them to produce a better mousetrap at a better price than what Stern is willing to do. Producing ever more expensive pins coupled with ever increasing delays does no one any favors. JJP can struggle with making enough pricey pins to pay the bills, or go right after Stern head-to-head with a better product at a lower price point. They have avoided the skirmish by building complex pins that can't come in on time or (most likely) on budget. Stern has obliged by jacking up their prices to keep pace, while not innovating anything. I stand behind my assertion that JJP has not been generally beneficial to pinball. I hope with the new leadership they go right at Stern and create competition, resulting in both companies building better pinball machines.

#48 3 years ago

What's this guys cartwheel look like?

#49 3 years ago

Big change.

I suspect JJP will become more Stern like and start cutting costs in order that they can finally get product into the market. No more taking 3 years to design a single game.

First job will to be cut BOM.

#50 3 years ago

So the good news in that this will mean production methods will have to change. No way will the new investors allow the current situation to continue. You've got to wonder what this will mean for the prepaid people though. I suspect the focus will be on getting new customer cash in a.s.a.p.
    What do we think the implications for Pat's machine will be? I can see money spent on the graphics on the display etc being cut back and with such a large display and original theme this could have major impact

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Dystopian Mods Italia
    $ 24.50
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 30.00
    Various Novelties
    Game Room Info Shop
    $ 8,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    PinballSTAR Amusements
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 12.50
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    There are 274 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside