(Topic ID: 45427)

Jersey Jack's Letter - It's from the heart! Read it here.

By BackFlipper

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 222 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dayslogo.jpg
kool_aid_man_glass.jpg
clickme.gif
There are 222 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 11 years ago

Anyone looking at this from the outside would say this looks like a ponzi scheme, "My first game that you financed for me with your blind faith is not complete, it is a year or what ever late, and will be the saving grace of this industry, but here is my second game, send me more money for this one. You can get out at anytime, people are just waiting to get in on this deal!"

Not making any acusations but step out of this deal and think about what other buisness would be able to get away with this...

#152 11 years ago

Money money money.

#153 11 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

lol.... I think you're WAY out of touch with what the typical consumer's reaction will be. It's WAY more likely to be "oh wait, whew.... crisis averted- I can buy pinball for our Xbox.... oh wait.... better yet- I can get it for your iphone honey" and ....done.
i thought you were actually joking with your "friend heard it on the radio and then talked about WOZ pinball over the dinner table" example.... but if you're even remotely serious:
i think you're kidding yourself if you think the $7500 price point is aimed at the casual, non-pinhead consumer..... WOZ was never intended to capture that- lets face it- its aimed squarely at the pointy top of the pinhead pyramid.

No. I respectfully think you are way out of touch here.

I cite http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21200001 article wherein Gary Stern himself reports sales (presumably units sold, not dollar revenue) are up THIRTY percent.

That's WITH other manufacturers in the worldwide market now racking up even MORE sales. And even if they're not delivering product yet, they are DEFINITELY taking preorders, so they are taking consumer money in, period.

So given that Stern's sales are up 30 percent, and that JJP has several hundred preorders (if not more), and that there are Predator presales, Popadiuk presales, etc. etc. IN ADDITION to that, one has to conclude new money, that is brand new customers, are coming on board.

And they're plonking $7k for new pins. AND since the sales keep rolling in, if rumors are to be believed that Stern is raising prices (to match Jack's increase), they'll be paying more than that.

And I will wager that the sales will CONTINUE to ramp up as more GOOD INNOVATIVE FUN pins get out there in the wild.

Now, you could argue that this boost in sales are due to the same old hobbyists. They're just SUDDENLY buying 30pct more pins even though they're more expensive now and that the world economy is flat. But I just don't think that's a significant source of the boost.

I think growth in sales for a luxury entertainment product like pinball happens by and large JUST like I've been describing. And at this point, the more manufacturers, the more hype. The more hype, the more people who would otherwise have never considered pinball start doing so (as long as the pinballs produced are GENUINELY QUALITY BUILDS, INNOVATIVE, AND FUN... Otherwise shabby pinball machines will SINK Stern, Jack, and everyone else).

Including our hypothetical "dad." And thanks to WOZ, our hypothetical "mom" as well.

So thirty percent growth in the face of escalating new and used prices. Its tough on our wallets, but GREAT for our hobby and entertainment. The more high quality manufacturers, the better.

#154 11 years ago
Quoted from mickthepin:

hey rick432, being from Joliet IL it's to bad your name isn't Jake. Like your style buddy
» YouTube video

Thank you! Joliet Jake is actually my gamertag, fwiw!

#155 11 years ago

I don't have a WOZ on order so my opinion means jack-squat (zing!) but good for Jack for writing this letter. I'm excited for the game and, honestly...don't really care if it takes a little longer than expected to deliver.

I just hope we get one in Nebraska somewhere that I can play when it does finally ships.

#156 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

At the time speeches, especially by presidents were expected to be two hours or more. The Gettysburg address became more popular with time. And still popular to this day because the length translates well into modern society.

Lloyd, Were you there? I can joke because I'm as old as you are.

#157 11 years ago

I came back into pinball SOLELY because of JJP and Woz and thought the idea was cool since I have to play slot machines with my wife......

Since then, I've bought several more pins with others to come......

To think that JJP hasn't had a profound impact on pinball and sales is somewhat ignorant

Anybody remember what happened when Tiger Woods came onto the scene in golf.....all boats rose with the Tiger tide!....same thing here, like it or not.........I'm guessing there isn't an AC/DC premium without JJP, certainly not a raising of the bar....People are lining up to fork over 6300 for this awesome pin...yeah I know, Stern was kicking *ss right before JJP

#158 11 years ago

Stern did get a big new investor before any of this and the hiring of new talent and better machines seem to coincide with that. I still don't think Stern views JJP as much of a threat.

#159 11 years ago

ummm... let us not compare jersey jack to tiger.... please... that's just silly...

#160 11 years ago

I sold my spot a long time ago. Nothing bothered me more that making my final payment "as production begins"

That was nothing short of complete and utter BS and Jack knew it.

I do hope that the game is awesome and JJP makes games for a long time.

#161 11 years ago
Quoted from kapper:

I sold my spot a long time ago. Nothing bothered me more that making my final payment "as production begins"
That was nothing short of complete and utter BS and Jack knew it.
I do hope that the game is awesome and JJP makes games for a long time.

Good point. The invoice lists the final payment of $2,250 "On or before 12/15/11 as production begins" I hung in for 27 months before moving on.

I was so excited to be part of the JJP journey (sorry for using the "J word" Bryan, I didn't actually realize how absurd the invoice assertion was until I read it recently. Guess I was drinking the KoolAid at the time

In retrospect, it would have been much "kinder and gentler" if the $2,250 final payment were due coincident with the actual production date for the pinball. The decision to take everyone's full payment when it was clear the production couldn't possibly be 12/15/11 is unfortunate.

Like you, I wish JJP nothing but success.

#162 11 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Lloyd, Were you there? I can joke because I'm as old as you are.

Yes, Abe was done talking so fast I forgot to get his autograph.

Probably be able to trade it for some pinball parts now.

Sorry you missed it. I looked for you, where'd you run off to ?

LTG : )

#163 11 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

Stern did get a big new investor before any of this and the hiring of new talent and better machines seem to coincide with that. I still don't think Stern views JJP as much of a threat.

I have some evidence that implies Stern does see JJP as a threat, but I cannot show that evidence until it gets published (soon).

#164 11 years ago

Sorry I missed you Lloyd. I ran off to the Ford Theatre to make some reservations. I couldn't get a loge, so I had to settle for a booth near the john.
Howie

#165 11 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Good point. The invoice lists the final payment of $2,250 "On or before 12/15/11 as production begins" I hung in for 27 months before moving on.

Wow! You were all in on this project Steve? I am really surprised to hear that you pulled out. Not that I blame you, I'd have been out long ago too.

John

#166 11 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Wow! You were all in on this project Steve? I am really surprised to hear that you pulled out. Not that I blame you, I'd have been out long ago too.
John

Yep. My son was in for the Christmas holidays and bummed about the unfilled "WOZ slot" in our lineup (after 2 years). I assured him we'd have it by my birthday, which happen to coincide with his spring break. Still no pin (or word on a production date).

The pin gods apparently felt bad for us, since I got a surprise opportunity to buy back my beloved HEP AFM. My son and I played the heck out of it and had a blast...what a great, well rounded pin (the integration of shots, dots, and audio/callouts are classic).

#167 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballPark:

Anyone looking at this from the outside would say this looks like a ponzi scheme, "My first game that you financed for me with your blind faith is not complete, it is a year or what ever late, and will be the saving grace of this industry, but here is my second game, send me more money for this one. You can get out at anytime, people are just waiting to get in on this deal!"
Not making any acusations but step out of this deal and think about what other buisness would be able to get away with this...

Exactly

Another concern is if JJP doesnt crank out their 1000 preorders fast then many folks will cancel their pending NIB to buy a HUO WOZ & when that happens.... buckle up for the bank run because unsold WOZ inventory means a Hobbit completion is (insert your forecast). Incomplete WOZ code will expedite the flip/dump process faster than the XMLE debacle due to high production numbers & a factory still running the title into the so called thousands upon thousands.

Or maybe instead 10,000 people all decide WOZ is so shiting fantastic we line up to pay $7500 plus tax & shipping to buy this wonderful $8500 total cost machine?

Time will tell.

I really think JJP should have made a simple high quality game 2 years ago instead of a widebody with 3 kitchen sinks. Best of luck to JJP though as choices are good for buyers.

#168 11 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The pin gods apparently felt bad for us, since I got a surprise opportunity to buy back my beloved HEP AFM. My son and I played the heck out of it and had a blast...what a great, well rounded pin (the integration of shots, dots, and audio/callouts are classic).

That is great news. AFM is one of my all time favorites and to have a HEP!! WoZ will never match it gameplay wise. No amount of software can improve the uninspired playfield layout (or theme for that matter) enough for me to want one. Of course time might prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

#169 11 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

That's a ridiculous comment...no offense

#170 11 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Exactly
Another concern is if JJP doesnt crank out their 1000 preorders fast then many folks will cancel their pending NIB to buy a HUO WOZ & when that happens.... buckle up for the bank run because unsold WOZ inventory means a Hobbit completion is (insert your forecast). Incomplete WOZ code will expedite the flip/dump process faster than the XMLE debacle due to high production numbers & a factory still running the title into the so called thousands upon thousands.

see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

Hopefully not the case, but its a big gamble.... but unlike most ventures- the gamble is with the customers money, not the company's....

#171 11 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme

Hopefully not the case, but its a big gamble.... but unlike most ventures- the gamble is with the customers money, not the company's....

Wow, that's clever....and no its not a "big gamble" at this point...another ridiculous post...no offense...

#172 11 years ago

Popcorn is in the microwave......

#173 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Wow, that's clever....and no its not a "big gamble" at this point...another ridiculous post...no offense...

I'm not as trusting as you are....

I consider sending off $6000 or $7000 for something MONTHS (or years for the hobbit) from being built as a gamble.

We can squabble over the definition of "big" but the fact is the risk sits with the buyers (er, payers) not the builder.

#174 11 years ago

Opinions. Everybody is only stating their opinions. Right?

#175 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

That's a tasty burger. IMO

#176 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

...and no its not a "big gamble" at this point...another ridiculous post...no offense...

None taken... especially since you already self-identified as one of the biggest koolaid drinkers for WOZ....

Quoted from iceman44:

Well, you guys know that I have been one of the biggest kool aid drinkers and cheerleaders from day one!

So, I would expect you to be hopeful.... but... even the koolaid drinkers can get ansty, right?

Quoted from iceman44:

do we have a bigger controversy brewing? ........ some day one early adopters are getting antsy....

Hmmmm.

#177 11 years ago

Higher pinball sales are due in part to better machines. Sterns have gotten better on average and this has gotten pin fans more excited.

#178 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Or just askin' a question or three.

#179 11 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I'm not as trusting as you are....

I consider sending off $6000 or $7000 for something MONTHS (or years for the hobbit) from being built as a gamble.

We can squabble over the definition of "big" but the fact is the risk sits with the buyers (er, payers) not the builder.

Congrats....that's genius....pass the popcorn...never heard that one before

To imply that JJP is trying to execute some Ponzi scheme is a JOKE!

Wait a minute....WTF...you mean the risk is with the buyer?......Good lord I never even realized that, holy cow, thanks a lot for pointing that out...

#180 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Congrats....that's genius....pass the popcorn...

Why so defensive? Are you suggesting there ISN'T any risk with this whole deal?

I'm hopeful that the thing is an insanely huge success... but that doesn't change the my OPINION about the riskiness of this (or ANY new business venture).

And lest you think I'm picking on JJP, I'm not.... I'm a cynic by nature. Hell, I'm still chastising people who gush about ACDC as the greatest pinball of all time- and its been OUT for a year!

#181 11 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I'm hopeful that the thing is an insanely huge success... but that doesn't change the my OPINION about the riskiness of this (or ANY new business venture).

And lest you think I'm picking on JJP, I'm not.... I'm a cynic by nature. Hell, I'm still chastising people who gush about ACDC as the greatest pinball of all time- and its been OUT for a year!

Wow....that's all I've got at this point...just wow... a little late night comedy

And yes, I'd say there is about ZERO risk with Woz at this point....And yes, AC/DC is one of the "greatest pins of all time".....

#182 11 years ago

... .... .... ....

kool_aid_man_glass.jpgkool_aid_man_glass.jpg

#183 11 years ago

One day we will find out there's a hedge fund based on MM, WOZ & TronLE

125% ROI by Christmas

#184 11 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

One day we will find out there's a hedge fund based on MM, WOZ & TronLE
125% ROI by Christmas

Shockingly, a triple long ETF built on derivatives that track the price of a basket of desirable and frequently exchanged pins would have gone up a monster amount in the last few years...

I am sure some financial wizard out there is trying to pitch this idea

#185 11 years ago

Oh, yeah!

#186 11 years ago

I'm happy for him, the company, and knew it would take longer as it usually does in any company. Main thing is we have another manufacturer. I can't wait to see it but more curious for future titles and what they learned making the first one.

#187 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You nailed it right there!

Hockey players are great compared to the other aholes in other sports.

#188 11 years ago

The Gettysburg address is popular today because of it's length? And you say you do not drink?

#189 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Give the man credit for laying it out there and admitting mistakes, time to move on and be judged on the final results...

I give him some credit as this would not have been easy to write. Verdict is still out. We learned there can be such a thing as too much transparency. Still sucks on this end out the money for 2+years with no game yet.... Is what it is. I did not wait this long to back out now but just growing very very impatient and no longer believe a word the company says until they make a promise and keep it. This is the same standard I hold everyone to trust is earned and Jack you have yet to earn mine.

#190 11 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

The Gettysburg address is popular today because of it's length? And you say you do not drink?

Yes. If it was a three hour speech would you know it by heart ? Would you even know it by name ? Lincoln made other long speeches. You know their names ? You know one other one other than his Gettsyburg address ?

For a good many years, we get things in small doses. Look at the music industry, most songs are around three minutes.

Way more new songs are released everyday as opposed to three hours operas.

While his Gettysburg address is a great speech, it translates well into modern times because that is what we are used to. Short bursts of info or entertainment.

LTG : )

#191 11 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

That's a tasty burger. IMO

Say what again. I dare you.

#192 11 years ago

Look @ the big brain on brad

#193 11 years ago

From a PR stand point this has more to do with collateral damage then anything else. If I were someone who put down a deposit i'd be furious right about now. Nothing can fix the damage done on this one and Jack should seriously think about giving the people that hopped on the ban wagon in something and not just mere explanations and pointing the finger here and there.

I get that he wants to release a good product but with all that said it doesn't justify the year old fiasco. This thing is bleeding from all sides and I am sure a lot of people are waiting on WOZ to release to buy into his "pay before you see a thing" payment plan.

Here's a word of wisdom for Jack. If it's going to take an extra year to finish the product then stop beating around the bush....stop releasing tentative deadlines and STICK TO A REALISTIC ONE!

I'm sure people would have appreciated it a lot more than we ship in MArch, oh no we ship at christmas...oh no we ship in march...hell it's April's fool shame on you!

#195 11 years ago

Moving on. Here is to April 8th

#196 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Moving on. Here is to April 8th

That is the week the boards are said to arrive. I would suspect at least a week for testing after that.

#197 11 years ago

Gonna be an interesting next few weeks!

#199 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

That is the week the boards are said to arrive. I would suspect at least a week for testing after that.

They might fall off the delivery truck or an extremely obese man may sit on all 1500 boards destroying them all. Stay tuned.

#200 11 years ago

Just for reference, I have no plans of sitting on these boards.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 91.00
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 222 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jersey-jacks-letter-its-from-the-heart/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.