Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by pinmike
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images-9.jpeg
    NewDawn.jpg

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

Does anybody know how Stern feels about the Jersey Jack Wizard of Oz pin?

#2 12 years ago

I heard that Gary Stern said "If another pinball company were created one of two things would happen, they would close their doors or we would."

I don't think he believes there is enough demand for two companies.

#3 12 years ago

I would hope that they are very much concerned and maybe step up their game a notch or two. Competition is a good thing and customers deserve the best product possible.

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

I would hope that they are very much concerned and maybe step up their game a notch or two.

I think they already stepped up there game with Steve and Lyman!!

#5 12 years ago

They won't either close soon .. competition is GREAT !!!

I hope we have both or more for a long long time.

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from Brokedad:

They won't either close soon .. competition is GREAT !!!

I hope we have both or more for a long long time.

I hope you are right!!

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from scooter:

I think they already stepped up there game with Steve and Lyman!!

No doubt about it. I guess I was thinking more in line of the final results. After all, I am from Missouri so you have to show me. And since I was born here you have to show me twice.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

And since I was born here you have to show me twice.

Hahaa, too funny. I hope they both have success. My hope is this puts pinball in a more visible light and that means more pins and improved designs due to technology and competition. I agree Stern took swift action getting Steve and Lyman aboard soon after JJP started to get noticed. They both have great teams assembled and at the very least we should get a few years with some awesome new pin designs.

#9 12 years ago

Stern was just coasting along until JJP entered the picture. Sure, they've made some good pins, but they haven't come up with anything particularly innovative in a very long time. Let's just all pray that WOZ is a huge success. If it is, it will prove to be the best thing that could have possibly happened for pinball in the long run.

#10 12 years ago

If it is, it will prove to be the best thing that could have possibly happened for pinball in the long run.

NewDawn.jpgNewDawn.jpg

I heard that gweem!!
    I heard that...

#11 12 years ago

The advance pictures of the WOOZ artwork looks GREAT! LCD backglass? Whoa! Yes, I hope the machine is a hit....but, BIG bucks there! I think they should make their own machine and avoid the license fees. Maybe something like Attack From Mars (?) That was a popular theme.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I think they should make their own machine and avoid the license fees.

I agree with that. I think for the first pin it was a great decision to go with a well know theme. Once that is a hit they would have a reputation and maybe the freedom to do a non-licensed theme. Still might be tough with their competition (Stern) getting top tier licensing for all their pins.

#13 12 years ago

Sheesh...and prices have to come down. How many average joe's can plunk down almost $7,000 for a machine? I know a few people who are selling a bunch of their pins to get OZ!

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I know a few people who are selling a bunch of their pins to get OZ!

Good, maybe that means the prices of 10-20 year old pins will come down!

#15 12 years ago

Yes! That's how I'm getting Xenon and T2!

#16 12 years ago

Cool! I'm going to look at a T2 tomorrow!

#17 12 years ago

Speaking of T2 - I am getting one next week! Can't wait. A Steve Ritchie great flow/theme pin for about a fifth of the price of whatever his new one is going to be. Never even played it but the ramps and the flow look great

#18 12 years ago

A guy on ebay is selling a Tron pin for 5,999 - speculation before actually owning one ?
    Perhaps as the delivery date of Woz approaches buyers will put them up for ???

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

Perhaps as the delivery date of Woz approaches buyers will put them up for ???

If and when they sell out of all the WoZ LE's, you will definitely see them on eBay at huge markups. They won't necessarily sell at those prices, but people will sure as hell try.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

you will definitely see them on eBay at huge markups.

Just like the first PS2 after selling out...
    They were going on eBay for $1,000!!!

#21 12 years ago

It would be pretty nice to see Stern actually get up and do something again. The main reason I'm not a fan of Stern at all is because it seems like there's nothing there. Another license, same old style of playfield inserts, same old DMD design, same old hype. No offense to those who follow the company, but to me it just seems beyond redundant at this point.

#22 12 years ago

I believe Jack indicated at the NW Pinball Show that more than 700 machines have now been ordered. At this point that, the fact that they will indeed sell all 1000 LE's is pretty much a foregone conclusion.

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I believe Jack indicated at the NW Pinball Show that more than 700 machines have now been ordered. At this point that, the fact that they will indeed sell all 1000 LE's is pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Keep in mind. All the funds up to this point are refundable. Some will take the refund. So far I'm not too impressed with anything I have seen. I'm not going to ask for a refund but some will.

Quoted from Crash:

Another license, same old style of playfield inserts, same old DMD design, same old hype. No offense to those who follow the company, but to me it just seems beyond redundant at this point.

I agree. Nothing about any stern game built in the last 5 years excites me...nothing. I hate and let me repeat, I hate movie themed games. The last thing I want on my machine is a picture of an actor. I'll make an exception for Judy Garland and Rod Serling.

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Impresive!If WOZ has 2 upper play fields and the toys that have been revealed along with good LCD animations,flow,great art that they have shown and Keith doing the software I for 1 believe this will start the next generation of pinball!!!!

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from wesperron:

Keep in mind. All the funds up to this point are refundable. Some will take the refund. So far I'm not too impressed with anything I have seen. I'm not going to ask for a refund but some will.

Very good point, wes. I completely forgot about this. Some people probably ordered one (or several) just to hedge their bets in case some information comes to light which all of the sudden has everyone clamoring for one. You are absolutely correct that many people will undoubtedly cancel their orders before the point of no return.

#26 12 years ago

You are absolutely correct that many people will undoubtedly cancel their orders before the point of no return.

No lookin' back BABY!

YEEEaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!

images-9.jpegimages-9.jpeg

I am ready to embrace the Dawn!
    But let me put a shirt on first...

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from wesperron:

What would impress you? I'm just curious, because the task of starting the company is also at hand, over-complicating the game too much could lead to more problems down the road.

Like longer production time, and more issues that could arise once the game is released. For example, take the Xbox 360, with it's 54% failure rate (RROD) cost M$ a lot of money, and consumers ran screaming. This was probably due to their race to beat Sony to the market with the new console. Jack doesn't want a flying monkey on his back like that to start this endeavo(u)r.

Enhancements that I see already are the LCD screen, and then some discussion around the boards. I think with the hardware advancements, chipsets, and using a more advanced programming language would be a big jump in pinball design, in and of itself. Also making software updates and additions to the game easier would be advantages. Wouldn't replacing a board for $50 be nice, instead of trying to fix one that if I know I screw up winds up costing me $150-250?

#28 12 years ago

Call me old fashioned, but I dont like...more than 2 flippers, more than one playfield...and the ball going anyplace on the playfield I can't see it!

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Call me old fashioned

You are old fashioned. ...and that's coming from an old timer like me.

#30 12 years ago

Hey I bought 2, That's right I need one to stay in the box and buy another one later. Plus, I need to play one. I like Stern and I am a fairly new collector and have a nice Stern Collection, now I need Oz next to it. I hope Jack kicks but and takes names, And I hope everyone who has ragged on him ends up doing the Homer "DUH" Competition is a good thing. This is not going to put Stern out of business, If this is all it takes they were already doomed. Good Luck Jack and Good Luck Gary I am looking forward in playing and owning some more pins.

FYI: Hey, Gary move the ramps around on all new pins so at least I feel like I am getting a new game. See ya in Chicago!!

#31 12 years ago

Yeah, old fashioned...but I still can't wait to play the new OZ machine!

2 weeks later
    #32 12 years ago

I've played some of Stern's latest, and, just, ugh... their MO seems to be - wait for blockbuster movie, licence it, and throw together a pin based on it. Don't feel like doing a new design? Just change all the art and mode names on an old one (see: Shrek). I played an Iron Man the other day, and though it was particularly obnoxious - with the Iron Monger mode starting with only a few shots, and bringing up the drain monster - armed with an electromagnet, to reward successful shots with a good fling SDTM or to an outlane. Felt like it wasn't designed in good faith.

Tron looks like a step up from their usual (brought on by a bit of fear of Jersey Jack?)

I'm not sure how I feel about an LCD backglass (the expense actually isn't bad - look at LCD monitor prices nowadays - you can get 20 inch monitors for less than the cost of a replacement DMD.) - my main concern is that it wouldn't feel right, or that they'd overuse the trick of having an LCD display. Do we know if they're going to have a normal DMD as well, or rely 100% on the LCD?

Has any description of the playfield layout been released, other than "two upper playfields"?

#33 12 years ago

I think the LCD will be awesome! My only real concern is that it will cause some major reflections on the playfield glass. I just hope they use some sort of anti-refective coating or special PDI glass to compensate.

#34 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

think the LCD will be awesome!

Me too !!!!!!

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I think the LCD will be awesome! My only real concern is that it will cause some major reflections on the playfield glass. I just hope they use some sort of anti-refective coating or special PDI glass to compensate.

Think it is a given that they are using PDI glass.

#36 12 years ago

It would be nice to see more of WOZ than some leaked cabinet art...

1 week later
    #37 12 years ago

After Wizard of Oz...let's have a Forbidden Planet! Robby the Robot's voice...ahhhhh

#38 12 years ago

Yea, I'm waiting to see what Dennis Nordman designs for the next JJP project before I make a big purchase that would prevent me from being able to buy that one.

#39 12 years ago

Too bad it's not a Return To Oz pin... Wheelers!!!!

#40 12 years ago

Is there a company that makes custom pins? Sort of like take a Xenon and make a War of the Worlds pin! (the original WOTW, not the crappy Tom Cruise one)

#41 12 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

s there a company that makes custom pins?

Jpop is taking suggestions and maybe orders too,for custom pins.

#42 12 years ago

er, and Jpop would be what?---Dumb Ted

#43 12 years ago

John popadiuk former Williams pinball designer,I think He is also a Pinsider.

#45 12 years ago

John Popadiukis is the legendary designer of TOTAN, TOM, CV and more.
    More info can be found on this thread as well:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-now-taking-orders-on-custom-pins

#46 12 years ago

I'd love to get a group of pin heads together for a custom Futurama pin from jpop. Or if licenses are an issue, Futurella.

#47 12 years ago

I have a nice Stern collection. Contrasting Gary with Jack . . .
    - Gary has never emailed me in my life / Jack emails me every so often
    - Gary has never talked with me on the phone / Jack and I talk on the phone every so often
    - Gary has never sent a 'thank you' for any pro or con feedback I've given about the pins I've bought from Stern / Jack responds to each and every comment I make.
    - Gary does not keep the Stern website updated and even fails to show off new pins or upcoming pins on their web site / Jack updates frequently and sends out special emails. You know what is going on with HIS projects.
    - Stern has VERY poor marketing. You have to rely on pinball forums to know what they are producing or what their future plans are / Jack is VERY active in promoting pin sales and letting you know progress
    - Gary must be locked in a room somewhere out of site most of the time / Jack is OUT THERE!
    - Gary . . . enthusiasm . . . ZERO! / Jack . . . enthusiasm . . . PUMPED UP!!!
    - I buy Stern pins . . . no acknowledgment whatsover from Gary / I buy a pin from Jack and I get 'thank yous' and multiple correspondence

One question: Where in the HELL is Stern's PR and advertising department? They miss the boat all the way around in utilizing marketing tools. When you don't even hype your new pins or your very own website something is wrong!!!

#48 12 years ago
    Quoted from Pintucky:

Stern has VERY poor marketing.

Yea Stern will have to improve on this if they want to stay afloat in the new competition of pin making.

To play both sides Stern is much much bigger than JJP and has sold a ton of machines to a ton of people. Much easier and more important to communicate when you are trying to break into a new market. It will be interesting if this type of communication keeps up if JJP make it big.

#49 12 years ago

Seems like they're being very "stern" with their loyal and loving customers.

#50 12 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Seems like they're being very "stern" with their loyal and loving customers.

Their marketing is lacking,But they have made some great games-SM,LOTR and several others!

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jersey-jack/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.