(Topic ID: 43375)

Jersey Jack Pinball WOZ - SEE the Box !!!!

By PinballSTAR

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 307 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download.jpg
orly.jpg
175368_FR.jpg
jack.jpg
IMG_2100.jpg
Pinball_News_JJP_Factory_2012-10_48.jpg
brad-pitt.jpg
3648043451_3de64014fd_z.jpg
howardhughes_sprucegoose_350wd.jpg
box.JPG

This topic is closed.

There are 307 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
#251 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I.e., see X-Men thread(s).

A big difference between XMEN and WOZ is that WOZ has a compilation of extraordinary playfield mechanisms and quality and XMEN has fairly ordinary playfield mechanisms and quality (i.e. there is much more value in the physical/tangible WOZ game even with half-ass code).
Also, before it is said, no I am not relating any of this to fun factor.

#252 11 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

Well, technically, nobody can actually buy a WOZLE without the upfront deposit. But then in fairness to Jack he was able to sell out on those, so more power to him.

Why should "everyone" be allowed to buy a limited edition of a pinball machine? Even more so in this case since the only differences are in the trim?

It's basically trading some risk for some added payoff down the line. What people seem to (unrealistically) want in these scenarios is the LE badge without the LE risk.

#253 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

A big difference between XMEN and WOZ is that WOZ has a compilation of extraordinary playfield mechanisms and quality and XMEN has fairly ordinary playfield mechanisms and quality (i.e. there is much more value in the physical/tangible WOZ game even with half-ass code).
Also, before it is said, no I am not relating any of this to fun factor.

If you say so. But none of that had anything to do with the point/analogy that I was making.

#254 11 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

Why should "everyone" be allowed to buy a limited edition of a pinball machine? Even more so in this case since the only differences are in the trim?

We actually still don't know the full LE differences on the WOZ to be honest. Yes, the cabinet hardware is powder coated (as well as the wireforms on the playfield for that matter), and the apron certificate is unique, and we're now hearing the topper on the LE is unique too. But there may very well be more surprises that are LE specific (certainly some goodies in the goodie bag if nothing else.)

Oh, and there was talk at one time that they were looking to do something on the LCD to identify the LE's as well (no biggy but we'll see.)

#255 11 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

It's basically trading some risk for some added payoff down the line. What people seem to (unrealistically) want in these scenarios is the LE badge without the LE risk.

The point I was making is, why does there need to be an implied "risk" to buy any manufactured product? If having a row of LE machines is helping someone sleep at night and feel better about themselves, more power to them.

#256 11 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

The point I was making is, why does there need to be an implied "risk" to buy any manufactured product? If having a row of LE machines is helping someone sleep at night and feel better about themselves, more power to them.

Because that risk also means reward for those who dare, and now they're the few and the proud. I know a few Tron LE owners, and are they glad they took the plunge? You better believe it. You think anyone who risked getting in on Big Bang Bar is saying "why oh why can't everyone have one"? No way.

The "people with too much money rocking themselves to sleep with their A-list pinball collections" sentiment gets replayed over and over in any thread about LEs. Frankly it looks more like sour grapes to me.

#257 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I think most that have waited over a year for their games (including me) would prefer to get the games now with unfinished code than to wait for an additional unknown time that could stretch out for another year for all we know.
It is better to have something tangible in the collection now to show for our money, and each update will be sort of like getting a new game. This situation is especially different from Stern not finishing code because buyer's don't actually have anything of value at this point with JJP until they receive their game and the money has been tied up for a long time. With Stern you get something of physical value fairly quickly when you put your money down even if it is often initially a turd because of the code.

I agree completely. I think I will enjoy installing updates and having to learn new strategy each time. Should be fun.

#258 11 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

"Complete", as it was continually advertised throughout the marketing of WOZ was, I believe, in the same sense as Williams games shipped with "complete" code. Updated roms, for the most part, didn't add significant features but were typically provided to address bugs or correct major score imbalances. "Complete" was shipping a game with code that didn't need several updates in the manner that Stern has come to be known (and criticized by some) for.

Contrary to popular belief, this simply wasn't the case. If you were getting pins back in the day, it was amazing how many came off route with old, horrible code on it that was worse than what Stern games ship with today in general. NGG has a software bug in it to this day. DESW (and yeah, I know, Data East is Stern...) had never got some stuff implemented until just recently that was in the original ROM. When I got my DM originally, the ROMs in it were so old that it had only a skeleton of a ruleset... and it had been in someone's basement like that for about 10 years (it was HORRIBLE).

And back then, there was really no chance to even update your pins code easily. It was an expensive undertaking.

Besides that, the runs were much longer, so an early DM with bad code on it may have only shipped on the first say 200 machines before they updated it for the next 9000 (or whatever).

Now, when collectors trade the games, it looks like all of the B/W games are fully updated and must have been like that forever. It was with some, but definitely not with all. Which seems to be exactly where we are today, where some games ship basically complete, and others need overhauls.

#259 11 years ago

I heard Spooky Pinball will have even better & more affordable cardboard boxes.

#260 11 years ago

It's funny to watch the WOZ owners already turn into apologists for JJP shipping a pin with unfinished code. Somehow this is "different" than when Stern does it, because WOZ is "better" and gives you "more value".

Classic.

#261 11 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Contrary to popular belief, this simply wasn't the case. If you were getting pins back in the day, it was amazing how many came off route with old, horrible code on it that was worse than what Stern games ship with today in general. NGG has a software bug in it to this day. DESW (and yeah, I know, Data East is Stern...) had never got some stuff implemented until just recently that was in the original ROM. When I got my DM originally, the ROMs in it were so old that it had only a skeleton of a ruleset... and it had been in someone's basement like that for about 10 years (it was HORRIBLE).

And back then, there was really no chance to even update your pins code easily. It was an expensive undertaking.

Besides that, the runs were much longer, so an early DM with bad code on it may have only shipped on the first say 200 machines before they updated it for the next 9000 (or whatever).

Now, when collectors trade the games, it looks like all of the B/W games are fully updated and must have been like that forever. It was with some, but definitely not with all. Which seems to be exactly where we are today, where some games ship basically complete, and others need overhauls.

I had to update both my Black knight and STTNG with newer roms to get the latest code after I got them.

#262 11 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

It's funny to watch the WOZ owners already turn into apologists for JJP shipping a pin with unfinished code. Somehow this is "different" than when Stern does it, because WOZ is "better" and gives you "more value".
Classic.

Whatever dude. I was one of the 1st to receive Avengers LE. Buying that one while also knowing how upset XMEN and TF buyers have been about unfinished code definitely does not make me an apologist. What do you own? I don't see you listing any collection at all.

#263 11 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

Classic.

It's funny to watch new people sign up for accounts with zero credibility spewing negative commentary.

#264 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Whatever dude. I was one of the 1st to receive Avengers LE. Buying that one while also knowing how upset XMEN and TF buyers have been about unfinished code definitely does not make me an apologist. What do you own? I don't see you listing any collection at all.

He has no collection listed because he just made up that ID 30 minutes ago simply for the sake of throwing out a baseless (and childish) insult that he was too much of a wuss to post under his regular name.
Classic.

#265 11 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

He has no collection listed because he just made up that ID 30 minutes ago simply for the sake of throwing out a baseless (and childish) insult that he was too much of a wuss to post under his regular name.
Classic.

Robin should include the IP address of every post made. Ill write a script to correlate uniqueness. Watch how many folks are behind these new accounts.

#266 11 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

Classic.

Can one of the mods please check to see if this guy has multiple accounts. He has only made a few posts that were trolling at best.

#267 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Same here got my Hulk LE as soon as Trent got them from Chicago on Dec 19 Had many pinsiders come play it and WOZ side by side. I try to do good things for the hobby and run a business too. I like the new Xmen code hope TF is better and I still 100 percent believe WOZ will be great!

#268 11 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Classic.

I don't agree with what he said. But he's been a member longer than you.

#269 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

It's funny to watch new people sign up for accounts

They're not new, believe me.

#270 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

It's funny to watch new people sign up for accounts with zero credibility spewing negative commentary.

Exactly.
Also, all I want to do is enjoy pinball and am not concerned with which company makes the games as long as they turn out to be fun.
I hope JJP, Stern, SkitB, Heighway, Spooky, etc. are all successful at making fun and unique games where everyone of us can find some games that we enjoy. Heck, I also hope that the Bally/Williams games continue to have strong demand and everyone takes care of their games and even more are refurbished. The more the merrier.

One other note, the people that are constantly bashing any particular pinball company to me don't really love pinball because they certainly are not helping them to be successful by the manner that they go about the bad mouthing.

#271 11 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

I don't agree with what he said. But he's been a member longer than you.

So I need to create a whole bunch of fake accounts now so when I feel the urge to call you a moron I can just pull one out? It's the create date that matters, huh?

#272 11 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

So I need to create a whole bunch of fake accounts now so when I feel the urge to call you a moron I can just pull one out? It's the create date that matters, huh?

No. Feel free to call me a moron to my face.

Edit. I think my wording was poor here. I meant he didn't have to hide behind a fake account to call me a moron. I personally don't care. It's just the internets.

#273 11 years ago
Quoted from scooter:

I had to update both my Black knight and STTNG with newer roms to get the latest code after I got them.

Its a normal thing to do if you want or need to update code. My NIB FG was updated , my NIB WOF was updated ( code will likely never be complete), my WPT was updated as well. The only problem was the boot loaders are / were picky about flash memory sticks. Most if not all of my Williams games have been updated (myself) by burning the "best" ROM image available for the title I own.

Not long ago someone made a mod to some Williams ROM's for anti ghosting and LED's. If you desire that feature then update the game code. If you like profanity ROM's by all means get some.

The key difference is people are pointing out JJP made a statement about NOT shipping games with incomplete game code, I never heard of Stern ever making a promise like it. If that was JJP's genuine intent or just a marketing talking point its being kicked around now by people on both sides and the JJP supporters take offence to calling it out a possible promise broken. The delay in getting the games out has not helped either.

Since nothing has happened yet its hard to judge anything except the late delivery and the rest remains to be seen objectively, when it happens or does not happen.

#274 11 years ago

This thread was well on it's way to being one of the funniest ever. Now it has devolved into a dick measuring contest. So sad...

#275 11 years ago

yup

download.jpgdownload.jpg

#276 11 years ago

I think maybe my post above was misunderstood. I'm really not the tough guy type.

#277 11 years ago

Notice the timing of the Stern code release for XMEN and Transformers?

#278 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Ha ha. I thought that too. Glad somebody's nudging them in the right direction.

#279 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

I must be missing something. You mean the code release that was supposed to be out by Christmas, which was finally released today? Yeah, Stern is genius for holding out and pissing off those owners and waiting until *now* to really steal JJP's thunder!

#280 11 years ago

Well they did release it so quickly they didn't even have the read me file written. I think it was less grand strategy and more "Hey, look at us too." Could be coincidence though.

#281 11 years ago

That's quickly? They had a year to write the changelog

V1.8 - March 14, 2013
=======================

- notes to follow in a few days, we wanted to get this update out as soon as possible.

V1.5 - March 20, 2012
=======================

#282 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

That's quickly? They had a year to write the changelog
V1.8 - March 14, 2013
=======================
- notes to follow in a few days, we wanted to get this update out as soon as possible.
V1.5 - March 20, 2012
=======================

Not quickly as in from the last update. Quickly as in "let's get this out now not next week."

#283 11 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

Well they did release it so quickly they didn't even have the read me file written. I think it was less grand strategy and more "Hey, look at us too." Could be coincidence though.

I still don't get it.

What do you mean "look at us too"? What is there to look at regarding WOZ? A box? Yeah, Stern really had to nip that in the bud!

#284 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I still don't get it.
What do you mean "look at us too"? What is there to look at regarding WOZ? A box? Yeah, Stern really had to nip that in the bud!

Are you questioning the power of the box? It's the biggest thing to happen to pinside in a month.

I don't know. Maybe I didn't get enough sleep last night. Seems my posts aren't making sense tonight.

#285 11 years ago

JJP vs Stern may be creating better pins but not pinheads. The OP was just sharing a pic that any buyer of WOZ would appreciate seeing, nothing more. I'm going back to the civility of RGP.

#286 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I still don't get it.

Say what you want but a simple picture of the box has generated nearly 300 posts in 24 hours.

I can't imagine Stern feeling like they need to compete with every little JJP milestone or moment. JJP is the one that needs to play "catch up" and earn their credibility (which I think they'll do.) But I like having big Stern announcements/days and I like having a new company in the picture too. I hope they don't each feel like they're constantly competing for the bigger announcement at any given moment/event. I'll chalk the code release up to just coincidence.

#287 11 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

The OP was just sharing a pic that any buyer of WOZ would appreciate seeing, nothing more.

The OP changed his title and post.

He had implied that WOZ was shipping and everyone went crazy.

#288 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I still don't get it.

In a traditional war of the star up company vs. the entrenched encumbant company, the entrenched encumbant company typically just completly ignors the start up until the start up starts taking away market substantial market share . . . until that time the entrenched encumbant actually feeds off the news media the other is generating.

Check out the classic WWF vs. WCW wars and how they viewed each other. There are a couple interesting documentaries on the matter and they changes places more than once. Interesting stuff.

In short, I agree with what Rob is saying.

#290 11 years ago

ok, i want one, a box that is!

when is the next batch?
when do i send my first paiement and how many?
can i get on the pre order list?
will it come out this year?

man, that blue box next to my red box will look awesome!

#291 11 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

The OP was just sharing a pic that any buyer of WOZ would appreciate seeing, nothing more. I

Simply not true.

Looking at his post after he edited it, I can see why you might think that now though...but even that is a stretch, since he is a vendor trying to sell us WOZ, and he still says as much in his original post.

"Contact us for pricing, details, etc".

That doesn't sound like someone just sharing a pic that any buyer of WOZ would appreciate seeing, and "nothing more". I think it is safe to say that there was just a *tad* more motivation to it than that.

Quoted from krupa:

Are you questioning the power of the box?

Dude! If there is one thing that I would *never* do, it's question the power of the "box"!

Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Say what you want but a simple picture of the box has generated nearly 300 posts in 24 hours.

Yes, because the thread has mostly evolved into a joke...about a box. See above.

#292 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The OP changed his title and post.
He had implied that WOZ was shipping and everyone went crazy.

In his defense. It is one hell of a box.

#293 11 years ago

Yes.. lets stick to the Box jokes can we?

#295 11 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

Jack has made it pretty clear he is going up against Gary, and I realize Gary has a running start over Jack but it would be nice to see him striving toward a more traditional business model.
If he were there now it would, if nothing else, eliminate love-fest internet threads like this one. Every day you are holding a lot of folks money without delivering the product just invites negative press and speculation.

Gary has a "running start", you're joking right. I would say with all the pins Gary has produced gives more than a running start. I would say he has traveled around the world ten times. JJP has not even shipped its first pinball...they have just started to crawl.

Don't think I'm against JJP. I'm pretty sure I will own a JJP pin in the next couple years or maybe less. I want JJP to thrive and do well. But Gary has more then a little head start, producing 2-3 pins/year for years.

#296 11 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

Jack has made it pretty clear he is going up against Gary, and I realize Gary has a running start over Jack but it would be nice to see him striving toward a more traditional business model.

I missed this previously. When the heck did Jack EVER "make it pretty clear he is going up against Gary"?? Quite to the contrary, Jack has always asked people to stop any negativity toward Gary and/or Stern (both on the WOZ forum and at public events) AND that he wishes nothing but the best for Stern and that they sell a million more games. He has stated this time and time again.

And it's Jack's company so I guess he can go with whatever business model he believes will be the most successful. I think he has more experience in this industry than the overwhelming majority of folks on here.

#297 11 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I missed this previously. When the heck did Jack EVER make it pretty clear he is going up against Gary??

Its on video dude

Jack slammed Stern in several ways & then promised a preorder with WOZ meant complete code, no production delays & a delivery date of Dec 2011. DOGH!

No matter though, both parties piss me off & charge more than I want to pay

#298 11 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Its on video dude
Jack slammed Stern in several ways & then promised a preorder with WOZ meant complete code, no production delays & a delivery date of Dec 2011.

Great .. please show me the video dude. I'd like to hear the "slams" (where he specifically referenced Stern). Because I'm thinking it must also be on more than a dozen videos of Jack giving speeches at pinball shows stating he wishes nothing but the best for Stern and that they sell a million more games. I guess this original "slam" cancels out everything else he ever said after that.

#299 11 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

when do i send my first paiement ?

Quoting the recent pre-payment scheme: First payment due NOW!

#300 11 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I missed this previously. When the heck did Jack EVER "make it pretty clear he is going up against Gary"?? Quite to the contrary, Jack has always asked people to stop any negativity toward Gary and/or Stern (both on the WOZ forum and at public events) AND that he wishes nothing but the best for Stern and that they sell a million more games. He has stated this time and time again.
And it's Jack's company so I guess he can go with whatever business model he believes will be the most successful. I think he has more experience in this industry than the overwhelming majority of folks on here.

So wrong. So very very wrong.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 91.00
$ 16.95
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 307 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jersey-jack-pinball-ships-a-woz-see-the-box/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.