Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 158 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Doctor6
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which JJ do you prefer ”

• Wizard of Ozz 97 votes
      35%
    • Dialed IN 117 votes
      42%
    • Willy Wonka 62 votes
      22%

(276 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

21269372-C245-4664-BDFD-92DEEAA33718.gif
    81009809-FC68-4241-956E-38EA29E99940 (resized).jpeg
    E070FBEE-AD3E-4849-9ACB-AAC55759504F (resized).png
    84DE2E2F-B605-4437-90C8-03009EF09D54 (resized).jpeg
    314967CE-0989-4637-ABB8-0BF7B1D5FF73 (resized).jpeg
    There are 158 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 3 years ago

So I’m new to starting up my collection of pinballs and my first will be a Jersey Jack machine. I’m trying to decide on a: Wizard of Ozz, Dialed in, or Willy Wonka. I was told if I can find a place here in Houston Texas, play them and see which one I like but I wanted to ask the members here which one do you prefer and why? Any pros and cons?

Thx in advance for any informative information.

#2 3 years ago

Best wishes on your decision. What ever you choose. You Won't be disappointed.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

Dailed in all the way. Why does it have to be jjp? Have you considered attack from mars?

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

Why does it have to be jjp?

That is to start his collection.

First a JJP. Then a CGC remake. Then a JJP. Then a remake. Then a JJP. Then a remake. Then two JJP's to round things off until the next new JJP or next new remake.

#5 3 years ago

I honestly think from my research of reading is that the JJ machines technology is so much ahead of the other makers. They just do it right.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball69:

I was told if I can find a place here in Houston Texas

Hello neighbor. I'm in Houston. Local distributor is Joystix. I believe they have all 3 on the floor now. You will have to call to make an appointment so you can ask at that time if all 3 are available to try.
    https://www.joystixgames.com/product-category/pinball-games/page/3/

WOZ is out on location at Einstein's Pub and Arcade where you can play it often once they open back up.
    https://pinballmap.com/map?utf8=%E2%9C%93&by_location_id=13795&by_location_name=EinStein%27s+Pub+%26+Arcade

#7 3 years ago

I like Dialed In the most since it is a flashback to Earthshaker and Whirlwind, which I really dig a lot.

Definitely, play them all and make your own decision. Games are all personal preference.

#8 3 years ago

WOZ is a great looking machine with a packed play field but the other two game shoot much better. I would pick between DI & Wonka.

#9 3 years ago

Those 3 games are all excellent, I would play them all and choose the one you like best. I own WOZ and Dialed and honestly couldn't pick one over the other.

#10 3 years ago

I can agree woz shoots the clunkiest but it set such a standard that only potc has matched so far. Woz has so much going on with full assets to really make it magical. I fully agree though that it’s best to try them before buying. They are all very cool and special game’s imo.

#11 3 years ago

What are the major differences between the STD vs LE editions?

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball69:

What are the major differences between the STD vs LE editions?

https://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/games/ You can see the list of differences here.

#13 3 years ago

Ty LTG

#14 3 years ago

I've owned all the JJP games. I would rate them as follows:

POTC LE or CE - Hands down the best JJP game to date....the challenge is finding one, and when u do u pay a steep price
    Wonka LE or CE - Great game with great flow (4 flippers is awesome), deep rules, and a great theme (at least for me)
    DI LE - Great flow and layout....theme sucked
    WOZ RR or ECLE - I really wanted to like WOZ as its a beautiful machine and packed with mechs (I've owned two models)....in the end I thought the game play wasn't very good.

For me it was always an easy decision to pay for the LE....u get nicer powder coating, invisiglass, external head phone and volume control, RGB lighting, etc....

If your buying used the best deals are on DILE's as they are selling at a pretty good discount

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball69:

I honestly think from my research of reading is that the JJ machines technology is so much ahead of the other makers. They just do it right.

If you are after the most advanced machine, check out the Multimorphic P3:

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2020/03/20/heist-revealed/

#16 3 years ago

Note that those who don’t like WOZ gameplay also tend to assert a personal preference for flow. WOZ is not a flow game, much more stop and go. Stern’s Star Trek premium sits next to my WOZ as a supreme flow example to provide that style of play. WOZ is a true pinball masterpiece. It’s the only game truly bolted to my floor.

#17 3 years ago

I have owned them all and they are all unique and great in their own way and I find them the best pins for home use . I keep them longer than any other manufacturers pins for the most part. Unfortunately I only have room for around 8 pins so I had to sell some to get other stuff. However when we move into a bigger place I will own all jjp pins again bc they are amazing. I still have potc, wonka and di all le's and wonka and di are my favorite bc of the layouts and code.... they have flow, tons of shots and play so smooth and rules I can understand.

#18 3 years ago

I have a WOZ and have owned a Wonka. They are both amazing pins. Dialed-In is also super fun even though the theme is a bust IMO. Why not consider Pirates of the Caribbean if you have your heart set on a JJP pin?

#19 3 years ago

Of the 3, I like WOZ the best, then wonka, then DI.

Don't forget about hobbit or POTC though

Also, the next rumored JJP pin is guns n roses

#20 3 years ago

Why not hobbit? Deepest code by far and absolutely awesome theme integration. Anyone who says it is boring hasn’t gone very far into the modes or code. Definitely have to play the machine at home to dig into its depth. Wonka is cool but the full onslaught of colors is almost too much to handle. For a POTC game you can buy 2 LE sterns machines. And WOZ is an awesome pin as well no complaints. Dialed In everyone complains about the theme but is more fun the deeper you get into it. All I’m getting at is don’t throw the Hobbit out the window. With the new code 3.1 it is climbing up the rankings slowly but surely.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball69:

I honestly think from my research of reading is that the JJ machines technology is so much ahead of the other makers.

Dont know if I'd say that, but my vote is for DI

#22 3 years ago

Like others have said Pirates is an amazing game but hard to get. Dialed in is my favorite and I like that more than Wonka. Both great Lawlor games but I like Dialed Ins layout better and the presentation of it. Theme is great to me but a lot of people do not like the theme. WOZ is a fantastic journey type game but its got a different layout that not many people like. My brother has a Hobbit and it is a terrific game. Very different than any other JJP game but should not be overlooked. Whichever JJP game you pick you will be satisfied. Hope to see you at a local tournament here in the Houston/spring/woodlands area. We have a great group of people.

#23 3 years ago

JJP the best technology? It's not because they put a lot into the playfields that the technology is the best

If I was you I would go to a barcade, pinball musuem,... And play a lot of games as if you're limiting yourself to JJP games only you're missing out SO much great (and better) games.

#24 3 years ago

Some really great reads and opinions here. Keep them coming guys!!! Thx

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Best wishes on your decision. What ever you choose. You Won't be disappointed.

As long as its not the Hobbit I agree

#26 3 years ago

Right now is not the best time for POTC as people have pumped up the price considerably and in time, it will settle and then I will be looking.

Hobbit will be another consideration

I will buy only LE or above.

Quoted from Silverstock:

I have a WOZ and have owned a Wonka. They are both amazing pins. Dialed-In is also super fun even though the theme is a bust IMO. Why not consider Pirates of the Caribbean if you have your heart set on a JJP pin?

#27 3 years ago

In April I purchased my first pin a WOZRR and couldn’t have made a better decision as our whole family plays it fun for all! As things started to open up from covid I started taking my boys to a pincade in Ft Wayne IN that has 90 plus pins and I quickly realized I had to counter the “slow and flo” with something more “flo”.So we purchased a IM prem and has balanced out nicely!! I’ll say this I have a strong feeling the WOZ is going to be in high demand years down the road as you’ll prolly never see a game packed like this again but if I was going to have 1 pin for a long while I’d go with a “flo” pin and pick up WOZ down the line as it’s a must in any multilingual lineup!

314967CE-0989-4637-ABB8-0BF7B1D5FF73 (resized).jpeg314967CE-0989-4637-ABB8-0BF7B1D5FF73 (resized).jpeg84DE2E2F-B605-4437-90C8-03009EF09D54 (resized).jpeg84DE2E2F-B605-4437-90C8-03009EF09D54 (resized).jpeg
    #28 3 years ago

Lmao multipin not multilingual .leaving POC our because of inflated prices and might have another run who knows!

#29 3 years ago

I've owned a DI and currently have a WOZ. Both great games. Reading comments about WOZ turned me off until I got some time on one and I really liked it and had to buy one. I don't ever think I'll sell my WOZ, such a great game. Going JJP in the home is a great choice because they are deep games and are unique in their own way. DI is more has a more linear ruleset and is a great shooter (theme is also great after it grows on you a little.). WW is a great shooter like DI but the ruleset is much deeper and every bit as colorful as WOZ. TH truly gets you into the world of The Hobbit theme with great assets. POTC is so deep and you will always learn something new (they need to make more).

#30 3 years ago

Why on earth would you want to limit yourself to only one manufacturer? There are gems everywhere! Play as many games as you can as much as you can. I like JJP games and currently have three. However, I wouldn’t want to only limit to just JJP. Especially with all the great games Sterns has put out lately.

#31 3 years ago

Not only Sterns. AP, multimorphic and Spooky as well

#32 3 years ago

DI by far.

DI has hard yet achievable wiz modes to get to that really get your heart pumping when you get there. It's awesome. That's what makes a pin a keeper for me.
    POTC, while a great game, doesn't give you that level of excitement/intensity.

#33 3 years ago

Yes DI seems to be a great pin from what I’m reading.

#34 3 years ago

I have a Dialed In! and love it. I think it's probably Pat Lawlor's best, although I have yet to play Wonka. Here are my thoughts on Dialed In!:

1. A lot of people initially got "hung up" on the theme, but that's because they don't realize it's a disaster theme. The throwbacks to previous Lawlor games is awesome. Making the Whirlwind Combo is fun if you can do it. I've only done it once.
    2. It has a deep, but understandable rule set. Each mode is unique in its requirements. They don't get boring and are selectable.
    3. Chaos in Quantum City and Armageddon are attainable. I have yet to reach Showdown. So close. Makes me go back for more.
    4. Hitting the side ramp and the SIM card hole are two of the most satisfying shots in any game. Collecting SIM cards is crucial to big points. Knowing when to use Big Bang is important. There's some strategy to it.
    5. It's a standard body. (I'm not a huge fan of wide body games.)
    6. It feels like a 90s game with modern technology.

All JJP games have amazingly beautiful detailed graphics on the UI. I think I notice something new every time I play. The light shows are brilliant.
    WOZ is a beautiful game and is on my wish list. The theme, art and lighting can't be beat. The rules are very deep.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three. I agree you should play them all before you decide which to get. And don't discount games from other manufacturers. If you can, get a game whose theme and game play you will enjoy for months and/or years. Be prepared for them to multiply.

#35 3 years ago

I find the gameplay of DI to be superior to any jjp machine. It's Pat Lawlor's greatest design.

- The theatre is one of the best toys of all time.

-The theme is corny and fun - very "dad joke," but I like it.

- 5 magnets!

- shots are smooth as butter. The game appeals to newbs more than any lcd pin, yet there is great challenge for pros.

Woz is fun, but I find it's clunky, dark and doesn't have lastability to me.

I'm a rare duck as I find the shots in Pirates unsatisfying, and I dislike the recycled theme.

Wonka, while the rules are a bit wonky, is a smooth and fun shooter, but I like Di's overall approach and design more.

I really enjoy the Hobbit and plan to get one some day. I have a detailed rating review, so check that out of you want details. It is such a unique experience, but I'd avoid it in a small collection.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

Why on earth would you want to limit yourself to only one manufacturer? There are gems everywhere! Play as many games as you can as much as you can. I like JJP games and currently have three. However, I wouldn’t want to only limit to just JJP. Especially with all the great games Sterns has put out lately.

Because "better technology" he says, whatever that means.

My advice: Beware all the fanboy brand pumping posts. Don't limit yourself. Buy whatever is fun for you.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball69:

I was a huge WOZ fanboy. I had a lot of games at the time, and I thought WOZ would fit in great. And I loved the game... until I started having problems with it. The chipped playfield was something to be dealt with quickly. During winter I would pop light boards due to the increased static (seriously, I would ALWAYS have to touch the lockdown bar of a Stern game before touching WOZ or I'd get a static shock and wonder if I blew another board). And when they went out, they would take down whole sections of lights until bypassed. And none of that dulled my appreciation of the game. Until I started having resets.

My reset issue went on for 6 months. And it crushed my love for the game. JJP tried to support me, and things like a new I/O board went in. But for 6 straight months I didn't play anything other than test games. After all the troubleshooting and parts and time going by, I ended up finding the problem by recording slow motion game play. It was occasionally happening after the left VUK fired. My issue was that when the game was assembled the wireform was leaning on the connector for the Crystal Ball. The connector itself was hot glued to the screen, so you couldn't see it. But when I finally took the glue off, I found that most of the leads on the screen were broken. They were making connection, but occasionally didn't from the vibration, and that quick disconnection of the Crystal Ball screen would reset the game. Sometimes a full reset, sometimes it would just lose I/O for a few seconds as things went dark. I had to buy a new screen and cable (and move the ramp slightly of course).

The parts came in, I put them in, and then put the game up for sale fully working. I had wanted to buy Hobbit, but I just couldn't bring myself to write the check after my experience with WOZ. I love Jack and JJP, and I'm glad they are still making a go of it. The WOZ experience just stuck with me, because I hate when games are down for a long time. I know it happens in pinball sometimes, but this one just felt like inexperienced engineering.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from cscmtp:

As long as its not the Hobbit I agree

While you may not like the game. Everybody has their favorites and games they don't care for.

Hobbit in the last couple years has gained momentum.

Initially the two year delay getting it out the door really hurt it.

In my arcade. Hobbit is top dog in my JJP line up. And the most loyal following. People come in just for it. Only other pin I've had like that is my original MM.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

He said he wants his first to be JJP.

#40 3 years ago

I actually have all 3. I like Wonka the best.

#41 3 years ago

I dont think you can go wrong with any of the JJP games, all of them are entertaining. But if I had to choose just one, it would be the one not on the list POTC which is unfortunately sold out.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bingovit:

JJP the best technology? It's not because they put a lot into the playfields that the technology is the best
    If I was you I would go to a barcade, pinball musuem,... And play a lot of games as if you're limiting yourself to JJP games only you're missing out SO much great (and better) games.

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Because "better technology" he says, whatever that means.
    My advice: Beware all the fanboy brand pumping posts. Don't limit yourself. Buy whatever is fun for you.

Stern Army incoming lol.

#43 3 years ago

Jack's put out a lot of excellent games, but it's Dialed In! that stands out to me as a "statement" game because A) it's perhaps the only truly original 21st century pinball theme to date, and B) it's a loaded Pat Lawlor playfield of the sort that I'd thought to be extinct since the 90s up to then. JJP had a lot of guts to put out a game like that. They and American have moved the quality of new pinball upwards in recent years, for sure. The more recent Stern releases like BK:SoR and Jurassic Park show. No fanboyism here, just seeing lots of great new games with all the new competition. Just hoping this virus stuff doesn't end up dragging the industry back into the dark ages.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern Army incoming lol.

Someone has to balance you out dude, seriously.
    How you can ever try to call someone else out for slurping is beyond hilarious.

#45 3 years ago

Every JJP I have played has drawn me back to it every time I pass, so no bad JJP decisions. I would go with the the theme or storyline you like best because you will have the most fun on the JJP journey that way.

#46 3 years ago

I've owned every JJP game except for Wonka.

Still have a POTC, played and really enjoyed Hobbit for a LONG time. Never really clicked with WOZ, but I've owned it twice. Wonka I've played the crap out of, but didn't really want to own it.

DI is the one I'd buy again in a second. Fun and fast, great storyline and theme. Wish it had a rock n' roll soundtrack though

#47 3 years ago

All 5 games are great, you won't be disappointed.

Woz is the most beautiful but gets played the least here. If you love the theme, get it.
    POTC is probably the best game, but I'd wait for the hype to settle or for JJP to make more.
    Hobbit is an absolute blast and is a ton of fun once you learn to play it. It's very unique too.
    Wonka and DI feel similar (in a good way) but I really hate the DI theme and music and art and callouts and dad pants and emojis. The game deserved better. So I'd recommend Wonka.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

All 5 games are great, you won't be disappointed.
    Woz is the most beautiful but gets played the least here. If you love the theme, get it.
    POTC is probably the best game, but I'd wait for the hype to settle or for JJP to make more.
    Hobbit is an absolute blast and is a ton of fun once you learn to play it. It's very unique too.
    Wonka and DI feel similar (in a good way) but I really hate the DI theme and music and art and callouts and dad pants and emojis. The game deserved better. So I'd recommend Wonka.

LOL@Dad Pants. I don't know if the OP has kids, but DI is also the onlygame my kid has EVER said "dad i really wish you hadnt' sold that, can we get another one?"

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball69:

from my research of reading is that the JJ machines technology is so much ahead of the other makers.

Multimorphic is the clear front runner with pinball technology.

There are 158 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jersey-jack-pinball-machines-?hl=pinball69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.