Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 345 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
    image.jpg
    i-want-it-now.jpg
    17606886.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-02-08 at 9.07.59 PM.png
    image.jpg
    th-3-436.jpeg
    th-2.jpeg
    larp.jpg
    19864824-cartoon-boy-yelling-and-shouting-into-a-megaphone-speaking.jpg
    76281.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 9 years ago

I've heard from a number of people that the theme is a disaster follow on / sequel to Earthshaker and Whirlwind. Also heard that it is not a wide body game.

Don't really care - I have the $ waiting for a Day 1 order. I'm hoping the game is a big hit and that Pat and Jack can show the pinball world that a non-licensed pin can do well again.

I am curious to see what can / will be done with the big screen when there aren't hours of video to start with, but I'm really looking forward to learning more about the game.

#45 9 years ago

If JJP can limit competitor sales or potential sales, no reason they shouldn't announce Pat's game in advance. I'm in for PLJJP over anything else, so it's their sale to lose (and I don't have space now for more than one new game), but if I were a Jack, I'd want to tempt those waiting on another game.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

The concern ... is that DP is single-handedly blowing up the pre-order model.

Need to make this past tense.

If the preorder model isn't dead now, it never will be.

I don't see that as an issue for JJP. Hobbit cancellations seem to have slowed after the revisions. It all comes down to Pat's game - if that sells well, JJP doesn't need preorder money any more. If it doesn't sell well, it may be three and out for Jack.

3 weeks later
    #73 9 years ago
    Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Amusement Park: roller coaster, ferris wheel, water ride, etc.

Too close to Roller Coaster Tycoon.

#102 9 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I hope that JJP considers an LE or SE for Pats game in the 200-400 game range. 1000 and 1500 LE games isn't really limited.

I hope there is no LE or SE or whatever. Just make one version.

3 weeks later
    #109 9 years ago
    Quoted from wtatumjr:

PL's had some great success but I'm curious as to why his latest games seemed to be mediocre. I've never played Monopoly, RBION, Rollercoaster (and they might be great games) but they seemed to have been received as only about average. Are they just to "deep" for the casual player but shine in the home environment?

These games aren't bad, they're just not great when compared to games like Addams, TZ or SC. I suspect some of the issues with the games you mention is that Stern was in cost-cutting mode for those games and Pat very likely wasn't able to do what he really wanted with the themes.

I really wanted to love Monopoly - I'm a big fan of the board game - and bought one NIB. But I just couldn't get over how cheaply constructed it felt (and the Mr. Monopoly voice got old fast) and sold it.

Quoted from wtatumjr:

Also, assuming a WOZ like display, what film clips would they include - clips for WOZ or TH are from the movie and if there is no movie what do you come up with?
    I'll be in on this title pretty much regardless - I tried to yank some info from JJP but they are tight lipped. I did get a title release date of "maybe February" but maybe not as well.

My guess is that any video would be public domain stuff or video filmed specifically for the game, maybe custom animation. Certainly not going to have licensed video in an original themed game.

I'd love to see some real info on the game this month, but I think with the delay of The Hobbit, that's very unlikely. I suspect it's going to be late summer at best, maybe not even until Expo.

#120 9 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm still concerned about this no theme thing. Look at the struggle AMH is having and we all admire those guys tremendously.
    Who other than staunch pinheads will buy a game absent a recognizable theme? (I have a Safe Cracker, an unlicensed PL theme, and think it is great...just not sure how many will take the plunge here absent a theme that tugs at them in some way).

I am not as concerned about the "no theme" thing, because the theme is really "Pat Lawlor". There will be a built-in market of Pat Lawlor fans that will buy the game (myself included) unless it is an obvious disaster from the start. If operators see this game as more TAF, TZ than RCT, then sales won't be an issue unless the cost is prohibitive. And, if rumors are correct that the theme is a disaster based one, I think the strength and popularity of the Earthshaker and Whirlwind bode well for the game.

I think it's a little different than AMH no-licensed theme issue because Spooky is also dealing with the boutique pinball producer tag (exceptionally well, IMO), which perhaps makes folks a bit more cautious.

I hope both are successful, because I don't think most licensed titles (except timeless ones like WOZ, Star Trek) have long lasting appeal. For me, they tend to "date" a collection and that's not always a good thing.

#164 9 years ago

TigerLaw is probably right that an unlicensed theme won't sell as well as a licensed one, all things considered.

I suspect Pat's game will be the last unlicensed game from JJP if it doesn't meet or exceed Jack's sales projections.

But I hope Pat hits it out of the park and we can see more pinball that doesn't have Photoshoped art all over the place or feature/design restrictions imposed by zealous license holders.

#169 9 years ago
    Quoted from RealityCheck:

"Photoshopped art". I seriously HATE that term and people throw it around way too much on here (no offense).

I certainly didn't mean to insult any artist with the term. Perhaps I should have said "lazy, uninspired art" instead because that's what I was actually thinking ...

2 months later
    #236 8 years ago

We will hear initial details late summer/early fall, more at Expo and be able to buy one early next year.

That's what I'm banking on, based on what I know.

#294 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Pat hasn't been turned loose in 20 years either.
    LTG : )

Agreed. No pressure on Pat though - all that's on the line is the future of JJP.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jersey-jack-pat-lawlor-untitled-game?tu=jfh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.