Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 345 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
    image.jpg
    i-want-it-now.jpg
    17606886.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-02-08 at 9.07.59 PM.png
    image.jpg
    th-3-436.jpeg
    th-2.jpeg
    larp.jpg
    19864824-cartoon-boy-yelling-and-shouting-into-a-megaphone-speaking.jpg
    76281.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider YKpinballer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#115 9 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm still concerned about this no theme thing. Look at the struggle AMH is having and we all admire those guys tremendously.
    Who other than staunch pinheads will buy a game absent a recognizable theme? (I have a Safe Cracker, an unlicensed PL theme, and think it is great...just not sure how many will take the plunge here absent a theme that tugs at them in some way).

I don't see much of a struggle for AMH. They will sell out 150.

Pat Lawlor and JJP have a lot more clout than Spooky, so not really comparable IMO.

#123 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Licensed themes are easier to sell. No question.
    My point is simply that I don't think there's really enough evidence to say unlicensed games won't sell. It certainly helps to have a name like Pat Lawlor attached. And a budget, professional artists, etc.
    It's not enough to just be original, you still have to be compelling.

I agree, the whole "no unlicensed themes" thing is too heavily latched on to because of a few "profile" people making comments about how bad an idea it is. (Primarily Stern and Ben Heck). There are many reasons that AMH didn't fly off the shelves instantly. But it is still by far a better business venture than Predator at this point, whether or not Predator does eventually get finished.

It allowed Spooky to run their own project with no apologies, get a working pin out there and prove to everybody they could do it. And make money! Now they are working on a 2nd pin which is seemingly a licensed version of their zombie idea... but in my opinion with the lessons they learned from the unlicensed AMH, they could go unlicensed again and have game #2 fly off the shelves because people know they have learned from mistakes in AMH. (Better artwork, lighting, music, voice acting or what have you... i haven't seen AMH in person so these are just examples).

Given the production potential at Spooky (a few pins a week) I think it could actually be a better move to go unlicensed. Keep control of your project, and sell out 250 of an unlicensed theme. The pinball world trusts them now to have a quality product, if they can hit a good price point it's a match made in heaven. Especially with Stern Pro prices creeping up.

#124 9 years ago
    Quoted from YKpinballer:

But it is still by far a better business venture than Predator at this point, whether or not Predator does eventually get finished.

And I forgot to mention - People going for licensed themes are taking YEARS longer for a single project to get it out the door. Spooky doing 2 unlicensed themes in the same time frame as a single project like WoZ or Hobbit or Predator or any JPop game is a big deal.

#135 9 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

I've heard from someone that has an inside ear that JJP#3 will be released late summer. Anyone else heard this?

Add 6 months to whatever you heard, then we can start talking about when it might be getting close to release.

#137 9 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

That could well be the case with the most adamant and hardcore of us pinheads (people like you and me who check Pinside more than once per day), I just don't see an original theme appealing to non-hardcore fans in the modern day of pinball.
    I would say a large number of pinball purchasers today do not even really know who Pat is (sure they know TAF and what not but if you asked them who designed it how many could say Pat? I don't know the answer to that question.)
    There is a reason Stern does not do unlicensed themes. Their distributors have told Stern they won't buy many of them...

Keeping in mind you can make an unlicensed theme that appeals to most people, but if you make a licensed theme you are trying to appeal to a limited fan base. There is a reason why Medieval Madness is #1 and 4 of the top 10 pins are unlicensed themes. It is a valid strategy to go for something that has universal appeal rather than being focused on selling to a particular fan base. I'd let Stern be the "easy way" manufacturing company. If I were Spooky I would stick to unlicensed.

#143 9 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

I wouldn't say a Medieval theme is anywhere close to being universally liked. Most people associate Medieval themes with D&D, Renaissance fairs, and nerds dressing up in the park and saying things like "Me Lady".

It's as close as it gets. All age groups of men, women and children watch movies, read books and play games about knights, castles, dragons, wizards etc. all the time. Harry potter for example. I'd say your statement couldn't be more off the mark, and MM's reign at the top of the list proves it.

You are thinking about it wrong if you think I mean more people like it than aren't interested.

If 30% of all people enjoy a medieval theme and 10% enjoy a space theme, in both cases "most people don't like it." But they are universal themes in that they reach all ages and both genders. Compare that to KISS which might be a theme that 1-2% of all people like. Nowhere near a universal theme. Not a tough sell to KISS fans though. It's just a different marketing strategy.

#166 9 years ago
    Quoted from RealityCheck:

"Photoshopped art". I seriously HATE that term and people throw it around way too much on here (no offense). Photoshop is very much a legitimate tool for creating original and quality artwork. JPop creates beautiful custom artwork but for all we know he's using Photoshop (or some other computer software). If you're creating artwork for a themed game that is not based on a cartoon or comic book then i pretty much WANT real images artistically incorporated. There just happens to be good artwork (like Hobbit's playfield) and very poorly done artwork (like Rolling Stones). What tool (s) an artist uses is up to them.

Hand drawn art like Metallica's has a lot better quality. Feels original. People are blown away by it for a reason. Maybe you like photoshop and maybe it's not all crappy, but hand drawn art is better.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider YKpinballer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jersey-jack-pat-lawlor-untitled-game?tu=YKpinballer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.