4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 345 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpeg
    image.jpg
    i-want-it-now.jpg
    17606886.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-02-08 at 9.07.59 PM.png
    image.jpg
    th-3-436.jpeg
    th-2.jpeg
    larp.jpg
    19864824-cartoon-boy-yelling-and-shouting-into-a-megaphone-speaking.jpg
    76281.jpg
    image.jpg

There are 345 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

$9k is a heck of a lot for one game. In the vid world you could almost have an entire home arcade for the price of one pin.

image.jpg
    #302 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

$9k is a heck of a lot for one game.

And the problem is I think they have to start reaching to get to that value; which is what I'm afraid of.

#303 4 years ago

I guess there's two options:

1) No new games
    2) Games that cost as much as a used car.

Neither option is good, but I think we'd all choose #2

#304 4 years ago

Totally agree. I'll get shot for saying this but all you need is one good mame set up in your game room. Save the rest for pins

#305 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Yeah. 3/4 jammed will feel 100% compared to most current games. Also will be a nice flipside to the openness of TH.

I'm also looking forward to having a new game with some meaningful upper playfield flippers. Seems like most recent Stern games are 2 flipper designs and WOZ and Hobbit have under-utilized upper flippers. I'm hoping for a modern day TZ or TAF!

#306 4 years ago

I kinda like Monopoly. It was Stern's first "good" game. The sound, eh. NASCAR looked interesting. I really thought that one would be a big seller. As for being let off the chain, he's kinda 50/50 on that one - you've got TZ and RS. RS is probably better than most Sterns but it's still not his best work.

Either way I totally trust the team - Pat and Ted, together again. So, I'm not worried.

As for JJP and production, doesn't Stern run games over a really long period and produce multiple machines essentially on demand? Like, someone just got a Star Trek Pro made in January and that's over a year later. They have a very flexible production line, which I'm sure JJP will emulate.

The days of unionized factory floors where you always have to be making something or you're losing money is over.

#307 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

The days of unionized factory floors where you always have to be making something or you're losing money is over.

Pinball factories aren't union but they are a specialized labor pool - and it benefits the company to keep them there and working vs. retraining newbies every time it's time to tool up for a new game production.

#308 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I'm also looking forward to having a new game with some meaningful upper playfield flippers. Seems like most recent Stern games are 2 flipper designs and WOZ and Hobbit have under-utilized upper flippers. I'm hoping for a modern day TZ or TAF!

I agree! I am trying not to get my hopes or expectations up but I still recount back to a few years ago (before Pat was at JJP) when Pat L told me his best game is his "next one". This was before there was even a hint of him gettingback into pinball designing. I have to think that this game will be his capstone (hopefully a smashing success and he gets the opportunty for more games after it) and we will see some very cool mechs and design features! Also looking forward to something different than just another "flow is all that matters" game liek we have seen of recent.

I am also expecting a very immersive game experience from Pat.

#309 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Pinball factories aren't union but they are a specialized labor pool - and it benefits the company to keep them there and working vs. retraining newbies every time it's time to tool up for a new game production.

Sure, but they're all part-time workers. They can be "re-sized" as needed.

One of the death knells for WMS was their unionized workforce that could not be resized, so they always had to be going full-tilt. That's how Jack*Bot happened - needed to fill a hole in the production line.

Not that that's bad, I like Jack*Bot!

#310 4 years ago

I heard they are giving Pat a lot of freedom with the next pin...and about the higher price point, there will always be a market for premium products. The quality of JJP's machines are worth the premium.

#311 4 years ago
    Quoted from whitey:

The new Kiss premium at $6k

I wish it cost me that much, where r u getting a Pre for 6K? $7500 on the site and for us Canadians it will cost close to 9K with exchange and taxes

#312 4 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

and about the higher price point, there will always be a market for premium products.

I agree but there is a limit to that. If they go too high and reach that limit it could be the End Of The Line for them.

#313 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Sure, but they're all part-time workers. They can be "re-sized" as needed.
    One of the death knells for WMS was their unionized workforce that could not be resized, so they always had to be going full-tilt. That's how Jack*Bot happened - needed to fill a hole in the production line.
    Not that that's bad, I like Jack*Bot!

I thought that Bally was the only Unionized pinball workforce?

#314 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I agree! I am trying not to get my hopes or expectations up but I still recount back to a few years ago (before Pat was at JJP) when Pat L told me his best game is his "next one".

Just sounds like a canned answer. You could use it forever - Just like actors always say their favorite movie is the one in theaters now (PLEASE GO BUY TICKETS OMG).

#315 4 years ago

wrong thread

#316 4 years ago

No matter what you build or create, if you are still doing it, don't you want to believe your best work is what you are doing now vs. what you did 20 years ago?

#317 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Just sounds like a canned answer. You could use it forever - Just like actors always say their favorite movie is the one in theaters now (PLEASE GO BUY TICKETS OMG).

Nope, it was a genuine answer in a genuine conversation with a genuine guy.

Quoted from mcluvin:

No matter what you build or create, if you are still doing it, don't you want to believe your best work is what you are doing now vs. what you did 20 years ago?

It was also LONG before JJP had even spoken to Pat about being part of the company.
    It was actually the first hint that Pat even had a desire to make any more pinball machines.
    At th point of the conversation there was not even a glimmer of hope that we would ever see another Pat L game and I do not think he even through that he would even actually make anything.

#318 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I wish it cost me that much, where r u getting a Pre for 6K? $7500 on the site and for us Canadians it will cost close to 9K with exchange and taxes

Talk to the "good guy" distributors like Trent. I imagine it's probably ~$6500. Don't pay MSRP!

#319 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Pretty sad that Canadians have to resort to attempting to import US games and pay the taxes on them at the border.

You'd think there would be a way to have a distributor up here with reasonable prices... Nope! 7k for a pro... SMH

#320 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

Picture this: you're saving up to buy a new pin, Stern releases something you're excited about, you buy it, JJP announces this amazing new Lawlor pin and now you don't have the money because you just blew it on the latest Stern. Not many people have thousands of dollars they can just whip out of their wallets as soon as a new game is announced. These are luxury items most people have to save in order to have. This requires financial planning. If you know this pin is coming and then Stern releases something you can feel comfortable passing because you know there's something better being released in the future.
    $0.02

I feel just the opposite. The Hobbit effectively froze me out of the hobby for 2+ years. I had all this money down on a pin I didn't have in my possession, and I ended up passing on two awesome Stern titles (Star Trek and Metallica). I couldn't bring myself to buy them while I waited for what I thought would be coming much sooner (my problem I know, but that's how it went down). Now I wish I had bought them and had fun with them during those years.

Bottom line, I'm done wondering what's coming in the future. All I care about is what I can buy now (or within max 3 actual months). So Pat's game is dead to me until it's just about to ship. Sure it's in the back of my mind, but I'm treating it like it could never happen.

No more saving for some pin I can buy tomorrow. What can I buy today, have something or miss out on my money.

#322 4 years ago
    Quoted from heckheck:

I feel just the opposite. The Hobbit effectively froze me out of the hobby for 2+ years. I had all this money down on a pin I didn't have in my possession, and I ended up passing on two awesome Stern titles (Star Trek and Metallica). I couldn't bring myself to buy them while I waited for what I thought would be coming much sooner (my problem I know, but that's how it went down). Now I wish I had bought them and had fun with them during those years.
    Bottom line, I'm done wondering what's coming in the future. All I care about is what I can buy now (or within max 3 actual months). So Pat's game is dead to me until it's just about to ship. Sure it's in the back of my mind, but I'm treating it like it could never happen.
    No more saving for some pin I can buy tomorrow. What can I buy today, have something or miss out on my money.

Well put. Seems those who buy what's available are 10x happier than those waiting for a long time after paying. no matter what game you want they will always be available when you are looking.

#323 4 years ago
    Quoted from heckheck:

Agreed, but it's better not to have Star Trek because of a future pin (TH) than because of a non-existing pin (Predator). I am in the later category. Tell me about regrets for not having Star Trek at home...

#324 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I don't know about that. Sometimes you just run out of ideas, peak, or loose your mojo. Life changes as you get older and so do people's expectations. Think of George Lucas. He probably put more time, energy, and money in the last three star war films than the first three. You would think it would be easy to build on success with better technology but obviously the magic was gone. I hope Lawlor comes up with something amazing but I think it's a lot harder to build a great pin then ever before.

#325 4 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Agreed, but it's better not to have Star Trek because of a future pin (TH) than because of a non-existing pin (Predator). I am in the later category. Tell me about regrets for not having Star Trek at home...

249 other people feel the same way man. Down right criminal what Kevin did and we are all praying you guys get every penny back so you can go buy a real pin.

#326 4 years ago

I agree, I just took back over half of my THLE deposit from the distributer and used it to buy 3 games, very happy and I will say this is it for pre-ordering, might put the minimum deposit down to secure a pin but paying off in full or bothering with Stern NIB waiting on code and spending 10K is over. Will have to be something very special like Aliens to get me to buy NIB. I love my TWDLE but it has a stigma attached as I did feel a little ripped off in terms of extras and the lighting, things not working properly, great game but Stern will have to impress me before they see another NIB/LE purchase.

#327 4 years ago
    Quoted from heckheck:

Yup- no reason you can't have the best of both worlds....

Got 8k burning a hole in your pocket for TH?
    Go buy 2 used games and play the crap out of them for the 2-3 years you'd have waited for delivery, bug fixes, light board issues, PF problems, code maturation, etc.
    THEN, when they are finally "ready for prime time"- dump your 2 machines (likely at little to no loss) and get the new shiny one.... Or not....

#328 4 years ago

Yeah and don't forget about depreciation! You could probably buy another pin with the savings.

#329 4 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

I love Stern's - but the WOZ Pin is loaded in computer hardware and software, a wide body, LEDs, multiple playfields, LCD, and other quality components. Heck if you were early in on the LE you also got a shaker and invisiglass too

Wow, either panzerfreak has two accounts or you read his best selling novel,"WOZ by JJP".

#330 4 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Wow, either panzerfreak has two accounts or you read his best selling novel,"WOZ by JJP".

I am co author

#331 4 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Lol, even Panzer would have to laugh at that.

#332 4 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Goronic and I are still working on the book at the moment. We still need to complete interviews with some JJP staff. The final chapter of the book is called "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" which is about the games final wizard mode but I haven't even come close to reaching it yet. Look for the book on sale at Expo 2015.

The opening chapter of the book is called "Toys" and the second "Magnets". I can't reveal anything else at the moment.

lol

#333 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The opening chapter of the book is called "Toys"

You mean "Toys, Part 1, a treatise in 7 parts".

2 weeks later
    #334 4 years ago

Heres hoping this is all we hope it is. Im officially thinking Lebowski and JJP #3 Lawlor Edition are the 2 next machines to get with Time Shock a close Third.

#335 4 years ago

I thought Timeshock was only going to be virtual since the Kickstarter failed?

#336 4 years ago

All I know is I refuse to get excited about games that are unknown. Calling Pat's game a must buy when you haven't seen it, don't know the theme or anything about it, and it's being "built" by a company that is still struggling to get their second game out extremely late and under a huge cloud of rumors isn't my idea of exciting.

Show me something, and I'll react to it. Tell me I can order it now and it will be built within 3 months. Otherwise I'll pass.

#337 4 years ago

Same as always, no new info.

#338 4 years ago

Aurich, I wish I could be as practical as you. I do agree that calling Pat's game a "must buy" is foolish at this point. However, the potential is still exciting to me. We have Pat on one hand (Hi Pat!), and the JJP platform on the other. So to me, just that makes it a "must look". My potential to buy is much higher just from who is involved.

And I agree with most people. Be ready to ship this one in a reasonable time frame after it is announced. A multi year wait isn't in the cards for me.

#339 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

All I know is I refuse to get excited about games that are unknown. Calling Pat's game a must buy when you haven't seen it, don't know the theme or anything about it, and it's being "built" by a company that is still struggling to get their second game out extremely late and under a huge cloud of rumors isn't my idea of exciting.
    Show me something, and I'll react to it. Tell me I can order it now and it will be built within 3 months. Otherwise I'll pass.

The voice of reason.

#340 4 years ago

Hey "must look" sounds good. That's a big ways off from "must buy". Make them earn it!

5 months later
    #341 3 years ago

Some insider data has revealed that the main feature to Mr Lawlers game will be the implementation and repurposing of the RetroEncabulator to the presently unmonikered Pinball device whereby shifting the Paradigm of the physical interreactive user interface intersection. The casagrain sub reflectance of the biaxial torsion applied will henceforth cease being the causation of Stuck spheres! Pat is a Genious

#342 3 years ago

Hobbit Update!!

image.jpeg

#343 3 years ago

Boy, that one prototype sure gets around......

#344 3 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Boy, that one prototype sure gets around......

Hey, here you are again trolling a JJP thread. Aren't we all so lucky to have you to keep us entertained with your witty comments.

#345 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

Some insider data has revealed that the main feature to Mr Lawlers game will be the implementation and repurposing of the RetroEncabulator to the presently unmonikered Pinball device whereby shifting the Paradigm of the physical interreactive user interface intersection. The casagrain sub reflectance of the biaxial torsion applied will henceforth cease being the causation of Stuck spheres! Pat is a Genious
    ยป YouTube video

There were three versions of that video; First was the "Turbo Encabulator" from Rockwell Automotive Electronics, then the Turbo Encabulator for the Rockwell truck transmission, the the Retro Encabulator from Rockwell Automation. The first version was for the Automotive Electronics Driver Keypad for driver input on the original Electronic DOT driver logging trip recorder. I worked in that department at the time the video was dreamed up by our marketing guy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    DBC Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 11,500.00
    Hardware
    Pinball Haus
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 19.95
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 69.00
    $ 89.99
    There are 345 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside