4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 345 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpeg
    image.jpg
    i-want-it-now.jpg
    17606886.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-02-08 at 9.07.59 PM.png
    image.jpg
    th-3-436.jpeg
    th-2.jpeg
    larp.jpg
    19864824-cartoon-boy-yelling-and-shouting-into-a-megaphone-speaking.jpg
    76281.jpg
    image.jpg

There are 345 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
    #1 4 years ago

Figured this would be a solid place to ask this:

Has anyone heard ANYTHING about this game? I'm a huge PL fan, and while some men dream of owning a sports car or huge house, I just want to someday own a JJ pinball machine.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

#2 4 years ago

So far, things have been pretty tight-lipped.

#3 4 years ago

Hmmm...let's see, what do we know about it so far:

Original theme (idea for the theme came from Pat Lawlor)
    Has upper right flipper
    Is being developed in Pat's own workshop.
    Pat has been on board with Jersey Jack Pinball since October 2013, game announced January 2014, flipping whitewood exists.
    Programmers: Ted Estes, Keith Johnson
    Artwork: John Youssi
    Mechanical Designer: John Krutsch
    Sound: David Thiel

#4 4 years ago

The original theme frightens me somewhat. I'm worried it will not sell well do to not having a licensed theme. I agree with Stern's view on needing to license themes.

Where will the acting and special effects work for the LCD screen come from? Seems dangerous.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

The original theme frightens me somewhat. I'm worried it will not sell well do to not having a licensed theme. I agree with Stern's view on needing to license themes.
    Where will the acting and special effects work for the LCD screen come from? Seems dangerous.

Seems a valid concern but Pat is an intelligent designer. The original themes which he chose himself, while not licensed, have all be instantly recognisable to the average person.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Where will the acting and special effects work for the LCD screen come from?

Like what was started for Wizard Blocks ?

I wouldn't worry on this one.

LTG : )™

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Like what was started for Wizard Blocks ?

Wizard Blocks is a great example. Original, but what a cool idea for a theme, combining a breakout-style arcade theme with a wizard: genius!

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Where will the acting and special effects work for the LCD screen come from?

Multimorphic and Heighway Pinball are both developing original themes with an LCD, so this at least shows that it is possible.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

JJP trying to give many people what they've been asking for , Hope it works out for them . I've been one hoping to see an original theme made , but Pat Lawler's games are really hit or miss for me . Hope this one is a hit .

#10 4 years ago

What I'd like to see more than ever is one of Pat's signature ...interactive backboxes.

Banzai Run was a great implementation considering the tools he had available to use .. targets, switches, flippers and lights. Almost everyone has parroted the unsubstantiated belief that Pat would never do another backbox like that because of the added cost to BOM....that's B.S.

Then he conceives of the electronic board game game of safe-cracker (is it a redemption game or is it a pinball)? Electronic board game is funny and fun (always dreamed of a LITZ Cheat in SC allowing you to play just the board game). Brilliant us of chutes to spit out tokens.

So now he has free hand to pick and design a game. Don't you think it might somehow incorporate an interactive backbox into the equation? I do, so will take take the opportunity to start a rumor here and now....Pat Lawlor's Next Game Will Include An Interactive Backbox..... date stamp please....

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Has upper right flipper
    Pat has been on board with Jersey Jack Pinball since October 2013, game announced January 2014, flipping whitewood exists.

Engineering: Eric Meunier

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

JJP trying to give many people what they've been asking for , Hope it works out for them . I've been one hoping to see an original theme made , but Pat Lawler's games are really hit or miss for me . Hope this one is a hit .

Don't get me wrong, I too am looking forward to am original theme. Also, I understand some of the smaller companies are doing original themes. My concern is JJP wants to be a large mainstream pinball company, I just feel it needs to release mainstream themes to meet the sales figures it expects.

I think I'm going to be in for a Hobbit by the way. We will see.

#13 4 years ago

It's an alien/UFO pin. That's my guess. That is doable fun original theme.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Don't get me wrong, I too am looking forward to am original theme. Also, I understand some of the smaller companies are doing original themes. My concern is JJP wants to be a large mainstream pinball company, I just feel it needs to release mainstream themes to meet the sales figures it expects.
    I think I'm going to be in for a Hobbit by the way. We will see.

I agree but I also think people are starving for originality and a return to the full featured pins and creativity of the past with today's technology.

Nobody better than Pat and JJP to make this happen. I feel like the demand for this one will be huge!

#15 4 years ago

Pinball News has an interview with Jack about the game.

It will be wide body with a third flipper. It's going to be announced around Valentine's day.

#16 4 years ago

I bet there will be one pop bumper with a cut cap on the game

image.jpg
    #17 4 years ago

Breaking News: I'm excited about this game (Hi Pat!). Yup, you heard it first on Pinside!

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I agree but I also think people are starving for originality and a return to the full featured pins and creativity of the past with today's technology.
    Nobody better than Pat and JJP to make this happen. I feel like the demand for this one will be huge!

Which makes me wonder why people are then huge on the big lebowski and predator and soft on wrath of Olympus.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Which makes me wonder why people are then huge on The Big Lebowski and Predator and soft on wrath of Olympus.

It is odd, but I think few people have even seen played WOOLY due to lack of marketing.

Obviously JJP has proven they can deliver games and PatL is a gods among designers for many pinheads, so easier to get excited about the possibilities?

#20 4 years ago

At least with Pats game you know that whatever the theme is going to be, it will be well done and make sense on the playfield...

There will be a lot less second guessing going on with this game, no "Homer mobiles" here...

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Has upper right flipper

All that equals...One Amazing machine!!!

#22 4 years ago

I'm very excited for Pat's new game. I was in on The Hobbit but dropped out due to not being a fan of the layout. The good thing about that is I may be able to swing purchasing one of Pat's games. I hope it has the craziness (shots, toys, etc) of games like TZ, TAF, RBION and WOZ. However, I'm a little worried about the price. It seems like $8k is the new base price for a JJP game. If Pat's game comes out over $7500 I'll just wait to buy a used one. That's already crazy money to spend on a pin. $8k-$10k is far too much for myself and I don't think home owners and operators will buy games at those prices long term.

#23 4 years ago

If anyone can pull this off, this is the guy that can. Any of his original themes to date are truly fun games, and 20 years later they continue to gain popularity.

#24 4 years ago

I'm burnt out on preorders. And since basic WHITEWOOD pics and stuff like that won't be shown for months, could be who knows how long before anything ready for sale. I'll check it then.

JJP's LE model can go the way of the dodo. No way I'll buy in ever after the whole WOZECLE situation.

That also goes for Sterns retimed 3 tier model and boutique implosions.

#25 4 years ago

No news is good news last thing this game need is the pre order model.

#26 4 years ago

I spoke to Jack about pats game yesturday. He said even if he told me the name of the game I would not understand what it would be about. Jack said he may not show anything on his game till its done. Bam here it is now buy it.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Jack said he may not show anything on his game till its done. Bam here it is now buy it.

That would be very refreshing.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Jack said he may not show anything on his game till its done. Bam here it is now buy it.

Please, please do that. I'll respect JJP so much more as a real company to be reckoned with when they reach that stage.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Please, please do that. I'll respect JJP so much more as a real company to be reckoned with when they reach that stage.

Doesn't it make good business sense to do that anyway? Keep the focus on Hobbit for as long as possible.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Doesn't it make good business sense to do that anyway? Keep the focus on Hobbit for as long as possible.

Depends.
    If you're still big in the pre-order business, you may want to release some information up-front to get more customers hooked on your product.
    Seems like JJP does no longer need that, though I have to admit, with an unlicensed game it's not that big of a deal anyway.
    But with a big license (Alien anyone?) you can sale hundreds of machines with just the release of the name.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

It's going to be announced around Valentine's day.

Perfect time to announce it. It will end up cutting Hobbit sales off at the knees just as they start rolling out of the factory.

Jack, if you read this, people always want "the next one"... give your games some time to breath!! Let Hobbit have its sales window.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

That is great and the only way I will be buying one. Show me it, have them ready to ship, let me play it, and if it is good enough then I will give you my money. That would be the way to win customers.

Ship it with finished code and you are thus established as #1 in pinball manufacturing on the large scale.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

Pinball News has an interview with Jack about the game.
    It will be wide body with a third flipper. It's going to be announced around Valentine's day.

That will be revised due to the Hobbit's delay

#34 4 years ago

Looking forward to a new Lawlor game under JJP
    great team with dedication and good resources will turn out a winner
    I am sure the final product will be awesome

cant wait till Jack spills the beans on Title and what the game is about
    then pinsiders can go into a speculation frenzy about all the great and not so great about this one.
    without even playing it

I would have thought announcing the title and some details would make good business sense
    to gauge interest and get feedback ?

#35 4 years ago

I've heard from a number of people that the theme is a disaster follow on / sequel to Earthshaker and Whirlwind. Also heard that it is not a wide body game.

Don't really care - I have the $ waiting for a Day 1 order. I'm hoping the game is a big hit and that Pat and Jack can show the pinball world that a non-licensed pin can do well again.

I am curious to see what can / will be done with the big screen when there aren't hours of video to start with, but I'm really looking forward to learning more about the game.

#36 4 years ago

How about NO preorders until production is ready to start and NO LE models. One machine with one price reay to ship now.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I spoke to Jack about pats game yesturday. He said even if he told me the name of the game I would not understand what it would be about. Jack said he may not show anything on his game till its done. Bam here it is now buy it.

Really? You think the salesman in Jack will let him keep quiet that long? I think it would be great if he did, but the man just has too much energy/excitement to hold it all in.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

Really? You think the salesman in Jack will let him keep quiet that long? I think it would be great if he did, but the man just has too much energy/excitement to hold it all in.

How would this undermine what people want? I get why Stern doesn't publicize future releases. They don't want to cannibalize current sales. But as a consumer, wouldn't you want to know what the next releases will be, so long as they aren't taking money for them?

If Jack doesn't feel like it will hurt Hobbit sales, I'd prefer to know what Pat's game will be like sooner than later. I don't want to have to pre-order it, but that is different from building a little hype.

Actually, the cannibalize sales things could work both ways. If you believe enough in your products as compared to your competitors, you could release info about current and future games as a way to prevent people from buying games from other vendors. For instance, if Jack thought, "people would be more likely to save money and buy Pat's game if they don't spend their current funds on TWD Premium" then maybe it makes sense to release info. With as many other makers as there are now, you need to think about cornering the market to your company, which is not necessarily just your current game. At $7K+ per game, makers need to realize the home collector market is not infinite in either money or space.

I wouldn't view JJP as any less of a "real big boy company" if they pre-released upcoming game info, as long as there is no reliance on pre-orders. With the shitstorm brewing with Jpop and DP, Jack picked the best possible time to graduate from the boutique pre-order model to a legit pay-at-release strategy.

#39 4 years ago

How could it NOT hurt Hobbit sales? People have limited cash and space. The amount of people than can absorb multiple $8000 games in a single year is very small.

I know WE would love to know what JJP3 will be, but as a business it would not be smart of them to release that too soon. Unless they are looking for pre-order money once again, but then that means Hobbit is not selling enough to generate the cash they need either.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

How could it NOT hurt Hobbit sales? People have limited cash and space. The amount of people than can absorb multiple $8000 games in a single year is very small.

That's my point, but JJP is not the only vendor. If they felt that both Hobbit and JJP3 were better than Alien and TWD, it might get people to save their money for JJP games vs spending the money elsewhere. When Stern was the only game in town, you could look at things in a serial fashion. Now, there are parallel game releases going on and I think a more holistic view could be beneficial. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying with all the purchasing options now, the answer isn't as simple.

#41 4 years ago

I think Heighway pinball will become a contender, JJP is already there in my opinion and while Pats games might not be for me (theme mostly) but who knows, it will sell big time. Predator? Well I'm going down with that ship only due to theme and the fact that I'm actually being patient is weird as I normally have no patience but after that never again will I pre order from boutique style pin makers. Say want you want about Stern with unfinished code and parts that could be better upon release, the game is in my house 3 months after announced and zero deposit.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

That's my point, but JJP is not the only vendor. If they felt that both Hobbit and JJP3 were better than Alien and TWD, it might get people to save their money for JJP games vs spending the money elsewhere. When Stern was the only game in town, you could look at things in a serial fashion. Now, there are parallel game releases going on and I think a more holistic view could be beneficial. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying with all the purchasing options now, the answer isn't as simple.

Ok, I agree, but this also speaks to a bigger point, about how many $8000+ games the pinball market can take in. It seems all the new companies are battling for the same small sliver.

Stern at least has a Pro model which seems to outsell everything else by a large margin.

Heighway may have something with his swappable system, so I'd give him better odds than most.

The rest? Fighting over that small slice. It will be a blood bath.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Ok, I agree, but this also speaks to a bigger point, about how many $8000+ games the pinball market can take in. It seems all the new companies are battling for the same small sliver.

Stern at least has a Pro model which seems to outsell everything else by a large margin.

Heighway may have something with his swappable system, so I'd give him better odds than most.

The rest? Fighting over that small slice. It will be a blood bath.

Totally agree. I think it is obvious that pinball Armageddon is coming. I love the explosion of options, but the home collector market is tiny, even if growing. All the new makers, and the new "acceptable" price point is going to kill everything off. This market is going to be saturated and things will die back down to 1 or 2 (or 0) manufacturers.

I'm at the point where my limitation is more space than money. This is what has me seriously looking at Heighway and part of what I love about P3. I'm already in on P3 and if Heighway puts out something solid with Alien, I'll bite there as well. In each case you will be able to get new games for $2-4K and the thought of having 6-8 games in a 2 game footprint is appealing. I probably wouldn't be as excited if they were my only games since it is a hurdle to mix it up, but if you have a lot of other games already set up, these 2 seem like the perfect way to supplement a collection without a ton of space.

The concern about these 2 is that DP is single-handedly blowing up the pre-order model. This is a good thing overall, but may be at the expense of some of the boutique manufacturers that have not quite brought a game to market yet (P3, Heighway, WOOLY).

#45 4 years ago

If JJP can limit competitor sales or potential sales, no reason they shouldn't announce Pat's game in advance. I'm in for PLJJP over anything else, so it's their sale to lose (and I don't have space now for more than one new game), but if I were a Jack, I'd want to tempt those waiting on another game.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

The concern ... is that DP is single-handedly blowing up the pre-order model.

Need to make this past tense.

If the preorder model isn't dead now, it never will be.

I don't see that as an issue for JJP. Hobbit cancellations seem to have slowed after the revisions. It all comes down to Pat's game - if that sells well, JJP doesn't need preorder money any more. If it doesn't sell well, it may be three and out for Jack.

#47 4 years ago

As far as I know, Jack is doing a full reveal when Pat's machine is done. Perhaps at ReplayFX? Either way, there will be plenty of time to sell Hobbit without distractions. And even if he announces it before that, Stern is able to sell many machines at the same time, so why shouldn't JJP?

#48 4 years ago

so many off topic posts. uggggg

2 weeks later
    #49 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

I've heard from a number of people that the theme is a disaster follow on / sequel to Earthshaker and Whirlwind.

I also heard this at expo.

#50 4 years ago

Volcano would be nice. What others could it be?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 19.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 99.95
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 50.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 142.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    There are 345 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside