Topic poll

“Dialed in vs Pirates”

• Dialed In 60 votes
    71%
  • Pirates of the Caribbean 24 votes
    29%

(84 votes)

#1 5 years ago

Excited for today’s “twitch” to hear more about Pirates.
https://www.twitch.tv/jjplive

It is my belief that there is no better pin manufacturer than Jersey Jack Pinball - I owned a WOZ in the past and it was a beautiful and amazing machine. Don’t get me wrong, Stern has always done a really great job and I love a lot of their machines however I believe that Jack has taken pinball machine manufacturing to the next level. I promised myself that my next pin would be a JJP and this is where I am today ... Dialed In vs Pirates. I understand that many people have been very disappointed in the recent changes to the Pirates game as they continue to develop it however I have been reserving judgment for now ... the wait and see it in action judgement I guess. Dialed In has already proven itself as a winner for sure and I am very close to going ahead and just pulling the trigger but I keep hesitating due to my initial thoughts on Pirates as I love the theme and I also love the WideBody. Sure, again some of the changes seem to be disappointing but if the overall reliability is improved and game play changes are minimal then who knows. Hoping that today’s live stream on Pirates will help me decide on my families next pin. At the end of the day I can only afford one JJP this year so I really want to get it right! Thoughts are appreciated!

#2 5 years ago

I'd wait and play both. Get the one you like.

The main change on Pirates to the single spinner. Acts more like a spinner. Watch it grab the ball and fling it. The three discs didn't have enough surface area each to do that. A fast ball just rolled across them.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

JJPOTC seemed like a lot of stuff going on and it was a little boring. Interesting shots for sure, but the video/LCD portion was a huge let down.

#4 5 years ago

I am a little biased towards Pat Lawlor pins, so I would go DILE, seems like a no brainer to me, unless you seriously love love love Pirates theme, then go with that.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

JJPOTC seemed like a lot of stuff going on and it was a little boring.

Agree. I played JJPOC a couple of times and felt the same way. There's so much going on, it felt really unstructured. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, but I think Dialed In is definitely a superior experience. Rules feel structured, meaningful, and has just the right amount of nostalgia and humor. Definitely a win for me.

#6 5 years ago

DILE is so much fun to play. I've played Pirates and it is well thought through but I didn't get the same sense of fun from the game.

#7 5 years ago

Tough decision... if you like DI get it as it's available now, who knows when Pirates will ship. I like the Pirates theme much better and I'm probably one of the few who wasn't blown away by DI. there is still quite a bit to be worked into the Pirates code yet and for those who say there is a lot to do but kind of boring, this could be due to the code being incomplete.

#8 5 years ago

Buy Dialed In now, play it for a few months and enjoy it. 3 months from now when POTC actually ships, trade in your Dialed In and get a new POTC. Me and my wife are enjoying our Dialed In, it’s a fun pin. I’d go with the game that’s currently available from your distributor and fully coded.

#9 5 years ago

I was having the same dilemma and just bought a new Dialed In LE. Why? Here's my reasons and this is after playing about 5 games on a POTC prototype.

1. Dialed In is out now and the latest games come with all hardware tweaks. Early POTC will likely need minor hardware items tweaked or see small hardware changes with later production runs. For $9k+ I don't want to deal with hardware tweaks.

2. Dialed In is the smoothest and highest flow game I've ever played with unique shots.

3. More toys. Yup, I'll take the Quantum Theater, Drones, 5 magnets, Station 3 ball lock, QUED guy, trap door, and Quantum mechanic lady over the toys in POTC.

4. I prefer the ruleset on Dialed In over the rules of POTC. The rules in POTC are deep but I find all of the chapter modes and multiballs to feel very similar due to a lack of licnesed music, and licensed film actor audio / video. The modes in Dialed In all feel unique and each contain custom assets unique to that mode.

5. I prefer the Dialed In theme. No way?! How?! The theme of Dialed In is perfect in my opinion as it's perfectly integrated throughout the game. Since the theme is unlicensed no sacrifices had to be made due to a lack of certain assets. POTC has the POTC license but only in terms of images of the actors and Gibbs custom callouts, which are amazing, but I really want to hear Jack, Davy Jones, etc.

I may still get a POTC down the road but it won't be until a later production run and after seeing how the code is completed.

#10 5 years ago

I own DILE and RRWOZ. I have owned TH as well. I played POTC at Allentown and enjoyed it. But, it was not set up well. Issues with the ship rocking and the flippers were set up weak. I would play Pirates in a home environment begore u make the decision. Just my thoughts.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

It is my belief that there is no better pin manufacturer than Jersey Jack Pinball - I owned a WOZ in the past and it was a beautiful and amazing machine. Don’t get me wrong, Stern has always done a really great job and I love a lot of their machines however I believe that Jack has taken pinball machine manufacturing to the next level. I promised myself that my next pin would be a JJP and this is where I am today ... Dialed In vs Pirates. I understand that many people have been very disappointed in the recent changes to the Pirates game as they continue to develop it however I have been reserving judgment for now ... the wait and see it in action judgement I guess. Dialed In has already proven itself as a winner for sure and I am very close to going ahead and just pulling the trigger but I keep hesitating due to my initial thoughts on Pirates as I love the theme and I also love the WideBody. Sure, again some of the changes seem to be disappointing but if the overall reliability is improved and game play changes are minimal then who knows. Hoping that today’s live stream on Pirates will help me decide on my families next pin. At the end of the day I can only afford one JJP this year so I really want to get it right! Thoughts are appreciated!

fly to Denver play both side by side for hours =)

JJ

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

...and for those who say there is a lot to do but kind of boring, this could be due to the code being incomplete.

Yep that's the problem, you never know till it's done. That's the 2 sides to showing games early, luckily for them most people appreciate it and it pumps them up for the game.

#13 5 years ago

I have not seen nor played Pirates, but DI is one of my favorite games of all times. Buy DI now, sell it later to buy Pirates... or keep it and buy pirates later!

#14 5 years ago

DI by a mile. Pirates has that horrible character selection screen where it's like an RPG. I can't think of a more horrible thing to have on pinball than selecting a character with different attributes. So dumb. DI is perfection. Tons of modes, gobs of flow and just super fun overall. It's the complete package.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

Here's my opinion for what it's worth. I dont own either nor do i have a deposit on either - so really no pony in the race. I just used my JJPOTC funds on IMDN & AFMr-LE. I have approx 30 games on both (probably less on dialed in). JJPOTC is one of the best pins ive played. It has so many stacking features and scoring dynamics coupled with Risk/Reward gameplay as well as diverse strategies with character selection...all these features is what i love about pinball. Dialed In is perfection when it comes to mode integration. But, my problem with Dialed In is that progression of modes is too linear; everything relies on that phone scoop to progress. I think they made a big mistake making all 3 wizard modes tied to the modes and phone scoop. This makes game times extremely long; yes i understand you can setup the game harder, but game times are still long IF you want to progress.

Both pins play very well; and im in the camp that the changes made to JJPOTC are postive - as i hated the prototype chest and the 3 disks only seemed to spin properly 10% of the time. While JJPOTC is a wide body, it really doesnt feel like one. Also, if you love the rules in WOZ, you'll absolutely love what they did with JJPOTC. It's not a very mode based game - but the mini wizard modes to appear to be very well integrated to be one super well integrated mode.

All in all, and the bottom line is; if you want a mode based game, go with Dialed In. If you want stacking, dynamic scoring, risk/reward, and diversity; go with JJPOTC. Depends on what style game you like.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I can't think of a more horrible thing to have on pinball than selecting a character with different attributes. So dumb.

Like your SW? Or was that the joke? EDIT: Sorry, i guess you could not like that one too.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

DI by a mile. Pirates has that horrible character selection screen where it's like an RPG. I can't think of a more horrible thing to have on pinball than selecting a character with different attributes. So dumb. DI is perfection. Tons of modes, gobs of flow and just super fun overall. It's the complete package.

The way they did the characters in this game really help elevate the ways you can play the game. For example, Gibbs benefits from larger tortuga multiballs - so you're going to want to focus on collecting gold. Blackbeard is a multiball beast so you can take advantage of flailing and stacking if you focus on the setup right. Carina smyth is a crazy character in that if you know how to play the multipliers you can really take advantage of their timers. You have to be crazy fast and on your A game thinking quickly if you want to take advantage of Pintel and his use of the P-I-R-A-T-E lanes. Don't like the gold (tie fighter) mashing, just pick Cutler Beckett (i think that's his power) and collect all gold in one button - dont worry if you miss gold or accidentally switch your PIRATE awards, just push a button and your in action. Want a better chance to get to the wizard modes fast; choose Tia Dalma. And the list, strategies, and options go on and on...

Once you understand the reasoning of all the characters and the why, your mind will be blown and you'll be wrapped up in endless game after game pinball!

#18 5 years ago

If anything the characters are what did it for me in home use. You'll have a ton of ways to play and keep it fresh.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Like your SW? Or was that the joke? EDIT: Sorry, i guess you could not like that one too.

I'm only slightly annoyed by SW. It is only 4 characters though vs the 20 on pirates.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

The way they did the characters in this game really help elevate the ways you can play the game. For example, Gibbs benefits from larger tortuga multiballs - so you're going to want to focus on collecting gold. Blackbeard is a multiball beast so you can take advantage of flailing and stacking if you focus on the setup right. Carina smyth is a crazy character in that if you know how to play the multipliers you can really take advantage of their timers. You have to be crazy fast and on your A game thinking quickly if you want to take advantage of Pintel and his use of the P-I-R-A-T-E lanes. Don't like the gold (tie fighter) mashing, just pick Cutler Beckett (i think that's his power) and collect all gold in one button - dont worry if you miss gold or accidentally switch your PIRATE awards, just push a button and your in action. Want a better chance to get to the wizard modes fast; choose Tia Dalma. And the list, strategies, and options go on and on...
Once you understand the reasoning of all the characters and the why, your mind will be blown and you'll be wrapped up in endless game after game pinball!

I understand the point. I just personally don't find it adds anything to the game for me. I have no desire to read a strategy guide to figure out the most efficient strategy. That isn't fun for me as it lacks the hooking feature of easy to understand hard to master.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I'm only slightly annoyed by SW. It is only 4 characters though vs the 20 on pirates.

I pretty much agree with you on the scale of the characters on JJPOTC, but of course they're trying to hit the home adventure market so hard on the adventure tip I can see their angle. But yeah I pushed start and saw a full screen of choices and didn;t excite me.

#21 5 years ago

It's interesting to see the reactions. When DI first came out people were so critical of it. Now we are seeing the same thing with Pirates. I imagine that once people have played Pirates more, they will warm up to it. If you watch the streams you can see how much work they have put into it, there's an incredible amount of stuff in it (both physical and virtual).

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

It's interesting to see the reactions. When DI first came out people were so critical of it. Now we are seeing the same thing with Pirates.

I don't know if a lack of clips of what the theme is is going to go away...of course unless they haven't added them yet.

#23 5 years ago

Jjp should stay with the unlicensed games,i love me di, so orginal. Jjp would have the freedom to do whatever they want on a game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jersey-jack-on-the-fence-dile-vs-pirates?hl=indusguys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.