Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

trillion_bucks_in_hundreds (resized).jpg
riddles_score_cropped (resized).jpg
IMG_20171116_231137 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171116_220408 (resized).jpg
20171117_081559 (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

Hi, I just noticed how low scoring JJP machines are. Is there a reason for this?

#2 6 years ago

You should play NBA Fastbreak, a great score is 100. It’s a really low scoring game, scores like basketball. You are right, JJP do score low compared to newer Stern pins

#3 6 years ago

I guess it might just be a way to differentiate, but personally I seem to prefer good scores in the millions rather than in the thousands for no apparent or rational reason

#4 6 years ago

I like the low scoring, but it is weird. I play a lot of classic games though, and scores in the low millions being a big game feel pretty normal to me.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Hi, I just noticed how low scoring JJP machines are. Is there a reason for this?

For the same reason some games play into hundreds of billions, it is design choice.

#6 6 years ago

He still hasn't figured out that it doesn't cost any more to print '0's.

ken

#7 6 years ago

You feel really good after playing 20 minutes and seeing 5 million points.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Is there a reason for this?

Perhaps inflation correction a little but most likely as stated to be diff'rent.

#9 6 years ago

Does it really matter? It’s all relative.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

Does it really matter? It’s all relative.

It matters more than you, a logical person would think There are plenty of threads with people hating the new low scoring...so weird. You have woodrails in the millions, some EMs you feel like a bad ass rolling 100 points, billions and everything in between....just a diff''rent look.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It matters more than you, a logical person would think There are plenty of threads with people hating the new low scoring...so weird. You have woodrails in the millions, some EMs you feel like a bad ass rolling 100 points, billions and everything in between....just a diff''rent look.

Lighting the 4th digit on some EMs is a thrill.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

I guess it might just be a way to differentiate, but personally I seem to prefer good scores in the millions rather than in the thousands for no apparent or rational reason

I completely agree

#13 6 years ago

I personally don't like it. I don't want STTNG scoring, but the ultra-low scoring is completely opposite of the core design of JJP pins.

Well, maybe except (drop target fest) Hobbit.

#14 6 years ago

I prefer jjp scoring. Makes it much easier to remember your scores and isn't some ridiculous 5 billion points. Ultimately it really doesn't make a difference though, as you quickly figure out what a good score is on different types of games as you play them.

#15 6 years ago

If you don’t like the JJP scoring, tape a piece of paper with 0000 to the right of where the score is displayed, and problem solved!

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

If you don’t like the JJP scoring, tape a piece of paper with 0000 to the right of where the score is displayed, and problem solved!

lol, I did this a few months ago when a visiting friend complained about low scoring on Slick Chick.
"All that work, and I only got a few hundred points!"
".....here ya go."

20171117_081559 (resized).png20171117_081559 (resized).png

#17 6 years ago

I like the "low" scoring. It gives the games their own personality.

#18 6 years ago

I like big score and I can not lie,
You other players can't deny,

And those round 00000 in your face!

I'm tired of JJP,
saying little score are the thing,
take the average league man and ask him that,
She gotta pack much 000000!

I like them round and big,
And when I'm flipping on a pin,
I just can't help myself!

Baby got Billions!!

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

They’ve programmed it so the scores are lower than other new machines.

#20 6 years ago

I like the low scoring. It places less emphasis on your score, and more emphasis on the “story” of the game, and how far you’ve progressed.

#21 6 years ago

I like it too - I was shocked when I first played WOZ how low my score was (I had JUST come off an AFM.. .imagine that transition), but I feel like it's an old-school pinball thing, and it is unique to JJP at this point as far as new games, so it's something I now associate with them specifically.

#22 6 years ago

Cargument in 3, 2, 1.
Low scores on a new new pin is like having a Lamborghini and driving 55 on the highway.

#23 6 years ago

I like the low scoring as well. Also lower scoring on my IM which is fine with me.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Low scores on a new new pin is like having a Lamborghini and driving 55 on the highway.

Eh, I disagree. Assuming we’re talking about games in the home, and we’re not competing, 99.9% of the time, does it really matter what the score is? It’s like playing the original super Mario Bros game. There’s a score at the top, but does that even matter?

The newest game I own is WH2O, and I judge my games based on how far along I am to competing the vacation planner/getting to wet willies.

#25 6 years ago

This took me an hour last night.
IMG_20171116_220408 (resized).jpgIMG_20171116_220408 (resized).jpg

This took me 15 minutes immediately after.
IMG_20171116_231137 (resized).jpgIMG_20171116_231137 (resized).jpg

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Cargument in 3, 2, 1.

Like most carguments, absolutely horrible and a jarring fallacy of an incorrect analogy.

Corrected:

Low scores on a new pin is like having a Lamborghini and driving it the exact same speed on the highway but the speedometer has Lower numbers on it than you are used to.

#27 6 years ago

Low scoring is like pushing a car through mud.

However, if a game (like dialed in) has dynamic scoring opportunities like Big Bang or SIM multipliers, and they show off the score on the display, it really doesn’t matter as long as I know I can blow up the score at a moments notice.

Despite how balanced the scoring is on WOZ, I wasn’t a big fan of its scoring dynamics when I owned it.

All in all I think scoring in Dialed In, and from the sounds of it, JPOTC are steps in the right direction. Mediocre ball times with diverse ways to hit some big risk/reward jackpots is what it’s all about.

#28 6 years ago

I like it.

It's also another great way to differentiate their company from competitors.

#29 6 years ago

I find it makes absolutely no difference in anything at all.

#30 6 years ago

I prefer lower number scoring games because the bigger numbers you get in those feel more rewarding. Obviously there's no difference, but when you see your score going from 4 to 8 digits in length, it has a better psychological effect on me personally.

#31 6 years ago

No difference. Maybe off-putting at first, but if you play older SS's or EM's (which I tend to gravitate towards) it actually feels more correct. Like many have mentioned, it feels better to hit 1M than on most modern games where that can often be earned by a skill shot.

#32 6 years ago

As some one who played EM pins in an arcade, the low scoring is normal. Getting 100,000 points or on some, 1000 points was hard, very challenging. In the 1980's playing 2 minutes on an mid 80's Bally Williams and already scoring a 600,000 points (at that time) was kind of a let down. Plunge the ball for over 100,000 points, BIG WHOOP.

Back to all things relative, regardless if the pin has low or high scoring it really depends on what that game is set for a Special, Extra Ball, or Replay. So check what other Pinsiders have posted in the Scores Section. Use the Scores Section as only a rough guide as some scores may not be completely reliable.

Have Fun, and flay away with the flippers.

#33 6 years ago

Balanced scoring is the only thing that really matters.

#34 6 years ago

I think the low scoring is a little strange but as long as it's consistent it doesn't really matter. I think it hurts WOZ and TH though which have very slow plodding scoring. DI has some big scoring shot chances that do not make it feel so blah.

Quoted from jar155:

This took me an hour last night.

This took me 15 minutes immediately after.

Nice scores, but an hour playing one game would make me want to shoot myself in the face.

#35 6 years ago

I find it makes 000000000000000 difference to my enjoyment of pinball. 1 should know if 1 has had a good game or not correct?

#36 6 years ago

I wouldn't mind having slightly higher scores but at the end of the day, i like dialed in no matter what the score.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I like big score and I can not lie,
You other players can't deny,
And those round 00000 in your face!
I'm tired of JJP,
saying little score are the thing,
take the average league man and ask him that,
She gotta pack much 000000!
I like them round and big,
And when I'm flipping on a pin,
I just can't help myself!
Baby got Billions!!

Post of the century!

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Like most carguments, absolutely horrible and a jarring fallacy of an incorrect analogy.
Corrected:
Low scores on a new pin is like having a Lamborghini and driving it the exact same speed on the highway but the speedometer has Lower numbers on it than you are used to.

or one car has mph one has kmph

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Cargument in 3, 2, 1.

How about:

High scores on a new pin is like having a Lamborghini, driving 55 on the highway and feeling proud of yourself because the speedometer shows 55.00000000

#40 6 years ago

Caring so much aboot decimal pionts reminds me of dumb asses that don't know anything aboot pinball machines; mostly kids. The first thing a kid asks you is "what's your high score?" even though they have no point of reference.
"6 million."
"Whoaaa...that's a lot."

#41 6 years ago

The lower scoring does not bother me. It used to though, I no longer care.

I need more time on Jjps other games. I have zero plays on dialed in. Yet...

#42 6 years ago

they should add an option in the menus to add ",000" to everything.

#43 6 years ago

As the others have said, it's all just relative. I'll be honest I'm more a fan of the bigger scores, but that's just a mild preference. I still fully enjoy JJP games, and the score doesn't make or break a game.

#44 6 years ago

It's a style choice. Since day 0 we have always been able to handle large scores, e.g. when this happened:

riddles_score_cropped (resized).jpgriddles_score_cropped (resized).jpg

There are multiple reasons for doing this.

1. Large numbers (scores) are not relatable. Most people's eyes get glazed over when comparing thousands vs millions and obviously especially higher.* This concept was cemented for me when my father (who was a very smart person) proudly proclaimed he got a decent game of 36K in WPT. Of course he meant 36M, but if people can't get the two straight, why push it?

2. I'd much rather keep the numbers small in magnitude and large in size to make it easier for people to read them. How much information are you giving someone if you're literally using 1/3 of your screen to handle all the digits in 100M?

3. Everything means a little bit more. This is obviously all relative, but why do I care about the 25,000 I got on the bash target in the middle when I can be making shots in the wizard mode for 30,000,000?

TL;DR: Big numbers take up lots of room and no one gets them.

* This is 1T dollars in $100s. Even then, it hardly seems relatable. (Each pallet (stacked 2-high in that pic) holds $100M, another sum I'd be more than happy to have in my pocket. Probably doesn't seem all that impressive, though, when you're standing right next to it.)

trillion_bucks_in_hundreds (resized).jpgtrillion_bucks_in_hundreds (resized).jpg

#45 6 years ago

Maybe the score is designed to be close to the cost of the game! Lol

Low score equates to high cost.

#46 6 years ago

I like it when I have like 185,000 but my opponent has 185,000,000.

Hey we are tied.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 91.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jersey-jack-low-scoring?hl=zami77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.