9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    jersey-jack-ep-hed-2015.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Meet Pinball’s New Wizard, the Man Who Hopes to Save a Faded Industry

With tables like Wizard of Oz, Jersey Jack is reinventing the game

https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2015/04/10/jersey-jack-article-in-adweek-april-10th-2015/

jersey-jack-ep-hed-2015.jpgjersey-jack-ep-hed-2015.jpg
    #2 9 years ago

Cool. Thanks for posting this.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

Cool. Thanks for posting this.

you are welcome

#4 9 years ago

Hmm, Stern calling him a crook seems quite unprofessional.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

i agree, not cool, but jack does look like he is surrendering in that pic.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Only because it hasn't been legally proven yet.

Personally, I'm not sure what else to call the fact that he raised the prices of his NIB-non-le games in order to match the ridiculous prices the LEs were fetching aftermarket because the initial production was SO...BLOODY...SLOW......anything other than highway robbery. Him doing that meant that suddenly the LE owners had to jack up their prices because it was stupid to sell a LE for the price of a NIB standard when the standard had basically all the features anyways. That single move priced me out of a WOZ because I refused to pay a 1500 buck premium just because he raised the prices on standards, and was no longer willing to accept a standard when the price was within reach on a used LE just before that..

It's not like Stern is innocent, by FAR either...they have taken advantage of the price-jack, both with the ridiculous demand for STLE that had people telling the distros "TAKE MY PREORDER SIX MONTHS BEFORE ITS ACTUALLY ANNOUNCED OR YOU NOT GET ANY OF MY BUSINESS WAAAAAH" and then further pushing the prices on pros up as well.

We gettin' screwed from all angles, mang!

#7 9 years ago

Pinballsupernova better hope Rick doesn't own AdWeek.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

Pinballsupernova better hope Rick doesn't own AdWeek.

It's kind of poor form to copy and paste the whole article to your blog.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

why, the link to the Adweek article is at the bottom of the post. I don't think it's a problem and I also gave the writer full credit at the beginning of the article. I don't see it being a problem if its an article that someone wants to read. People have been clicking on the link to read the full article at Adweek so I am giving them traffic as well where someone may not have found the article at all unless they went to my site. I don't see it being an issue when someone wants to share news or information about the pinball hobby and giving full credit to the writer and magazine that publishes the article. Isn't that what the pinball hobby is all about? Also isn't that what the Internet is used for? I don't care if anyone uses my videos, pictures, or stories that I post on my blog to use on a pinball website. As long as the person gives me credit and a link to my site, I have no problem with it. If I can help someone in the pinball hobby, that's all my site is used for. I am not making any money with it. Actually it's a lot of work, but I love doing it. It's your opinion Aurich.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

It's even more unprofessional to quote someone from an email where they said they would not comment.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from wiggy07:

Also isn't that what the Internet is used for? It's your opinion Aurich.

The internet is not for wholesale copying of other people's work onto your own site, no. Are you going to get a DMCA takedown from AdWeek? Highly unlikely, though they'd be within their rights to do it. But it's still a crappy practice. And I take it personally because I work for a publication, and people do it to us all the time, and it's incredibly rude.

The proper way is to excerpt a small portion and link to the full article if anyone wants to read the rest.

Why would anyone bother visiting the article if they can already read the whole thing on your site?

It's all well and good to credit the author, but he doesn't get the page views, and the site doesn't get the ad revenue.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

The internet is not for wholesale copying of other people's work onto your own site, no. Are you going to get a DMCA takedown from AdWeek? Highly unlikely, though they'd be within their rights to do it. But it's still a crappy practice. And I take it personally because I work for a publication, and people do it to us all the time, and it's incredibly rude.
    The proper way is to excerpt a small portion and link to the full article if anyone wants to read the rest.
    Why would anyone bother visiting the article if they can already read the whole thing on your site?
    It's all well and good to credit the author, but he doesn't get the page views, and the site doesn't get the ad revenue.

Well, according to the stats on my Wordpress site, Adweek is still getting a lot of hits even though the article is posted on the blog. It's more traffic for Adweek than if no one saw the article and didn't even know it existed. I don't know how many people on Pinside read Adweek. I read it because my field is Advertising. By the way , the whole article is not posted on my site, a video is embedded on the Adweek site where people need to go to view the video. I don't think Adweek is going to lose any viewers, I think they will be gaining traffic after the posting of the article on my site. It seems that way to me after reading the stats on Wordpress.

#13 9 years ago

Whatever. I don't work for AdWeek, not going to fight this battle with you. Run your site however you please.

#14 9 years ago

I for one would not have seen it. So for what its worth thanks for sharing.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Whatever. I don't work for AdWeek, not going to fight this battle with you. Run your site however you please.

Not fighting with you. I see your point, I am in advertising as well so I know how it works. I am just saying that people on this site may not even know a magazine such as Adweek exists and I just want to inform people. That's it. I make no money on any of this. It doesn't make or break my day if people read or don't read the information I post. It's nice to hear from people that I have a great site and blog. I post many reviews of mods and enhancements for pinball machines to try and help the pinball manufacturer's and modders about getting the word out about the products. No one sells me any of the mods cheaper or gives them to me for free. It's free advertising for them. No one asks me to do this. I want to help the community of pinball and keep this hobby alive. Again, I just want to inform or help as much as I can for the hobby. Also, Adweek are getting hits from my blog, more than they would be getting if I didn't post the article. Didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. Have a good night Aurich.

#16 9 years ago

Cheap shot by Stern, imho. It reeks of significant concern over the competition.

The Elaut lawsuit will vindicate Jack, I'll bet anyone a Coke on that (I like Coke... the cola, that is).

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from wiggy07:

He's correct, give the guy that did the work the hits.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from wiggy07:

I am not making any money with it.

But the guy who is trying to isn't either. Like Aurich said, excerpt a little and post the link, everyone wins.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from wnorwich89:

But the guy who is trying to isn't either. Like Aurich said, excerpt a little and post the link, everyone wins.

Blog post edited for the people who had an issue with posting the whole article.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rick432:

Cheap shot by Stern, imho. It reeks of significant concern over the competition.
    The Elaut lawsuit will vindicate Jack, I'll bet anyone a Coke on that (I like Coke... the cola, that is).

I think the cheap shot was by the writer of the article. There is no source cited for the alleged "Jack is a crook" quote "by Stern".

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I think the cheap shot was by the writer of the article. There is no source cited for the alleged "Jack is a crook" quote "by Stern".

Yes, THAT'S unprofessional.

#23 9 years ago

"middle-aged guy hovers near, then swoops up to ask Jack to pose for a selfie."

Not a selfie ! I stopped reading after I read that . ^^

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I agree with that, as well.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

Yes, THAT'S unprofessional.

I like Stern, but they need to be careful not to look like a bully when they talk about pinball start ups. They need to just say something like 'we are happy to see the industry grow and have diversity in manufactures and games, but we feel we have, and will continue to have great games for a great price.' Stern seems to be strong financially, growing, and don't have a pre pay model - they need to take the high road on the PR front.

But as they say "It's just business..."

#26 9 years ago

I'm surprised the writer did not spell Pat Lawlor's name correctly. That is a major publication, not some piss-ant hobbyist magazine.

#27 9 years ago

That article was a little overblown to say the least. Since when is pinball "coming back"? Its been back since ACDC and is continuing to chug away. Shows, tournaments, barcades, great games, MMR, Heighway on the horizon... Pinball is huge now compared to five years ago. JJP has had a large part of it but lets not get carried away. We have had two huge shows in Florida in the last 6 months and there was not a JJP game at either one. Pinball in general is back and no one person or company can take credit for that. People are reviving the old games with LEDs, ColorDMDs and other mods. Even EMs are getting tons of love again.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jersey-jack-article-in-adweek-magazine-%e2%80%93-april-10th-2015 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.