(Topic ID: 243602)

Jeopardy - Who is Watching James Holzhauer's Historic Run?

By AFM95

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Jeopardy - Who is Watching James Holzhauer's Historic Run?”

• Will James beat Ken Jennings' 74 game win streak? - YES 16 votes
      30%
    • Will James beat Ken Jennings' 74 game win streak? - NO 11 votes
      20%
    • Under $2,000,000 0 votes
    • Over $2,000,000 3 votes
      6%
    • Over $2,520,700 (Ken Jennings' winnings from his 74 game streak) 7 votes
      13%
    • Over $3,000,000 7 votes
      13%
    • Over $4,000,000 1 vote
      2%
    • Over, $5,000,000 4 votes
      7%
    • Crazy, but I think he'll win over $10,000,000 5 votes
      9%

(Multiple choice - 54 votes by 33 Pinsiders)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DailyDouble.JPG
    culture_james-holzhauer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider afm95.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

After Ken Jennings' 74 game streak ended in 2004, I don't think I have watched a Jeopardy episode since... until now. Is anyone else watching James Holzhauer's historic run? After yesterday's game, he has won a total of $1,939,027. The way he plays, he has an opportunity to pass the $2 million mark today, which would be in just 26 games. Absolutely incredible.

I set up a poll that is multiple choice; with two questions in mind:

1. Do you think James will beat Ken's 74 game win streak? - YES or NO
    2. How much do you think James will win during his run?
    culture_james-holzhauer (resized).jpgculture_james-holzhauer (resized).jpg

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I agree, I am intrigued by this player. He is not only super smart, but well rounded. He seems to know every category. Really remarkable.
    Ken Jennings had the longest run on Jeopardy but Brad Rudder holds the most money earned on Jeopardy.
    https://www.insider.com/jeopardy-winners-most-won-2018-9

Thanks for the link about Brad Rutter. I had no idea Jeopardy had a Master's Tournament for $1,000,000. Talk about pressure.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pedleboy:

He is impressive but Ken's 74 day is much, much harder than pressing the money. We've had this conversation many times in my office. I watch Jeopardy, on average, 4 days a week and it's funny to talk to people who just watch guys like James play. They think that he is some super human that has developed this whole strategy. The reality is that all 3 players know the answer to 75 to 80 percent of the questions. Jeopardy is all about clicker control. James is very good at it as was Ken.
    D.

While I don't disagree with you about James' clicker control/timing being excellent (and imperative if you want to crush the competition); however, I think you're downplaying how many questions are actually answered correctly per "normal" show, and what the contestants really know. Traditional difficulty shows a 2 to 1 ratio of correct to wrong answers. So in reality, it's really more like 67%, than 75% to 80%. There was one season (season eight) that had a 4 to 1 ratio. Otherwise, it's typically 2 to 1.

To compare that to James, he's getting 97.31% of his buzz-in answer correct through his first 25 games compared to Ken's first 25 games at 92.49%. With the random categories you could receive in each game, that's beyond impressive.

On top of that, him "pressing" or risking 5-figure amounts with consistency on Double and Final Jeopardy is unprecedented on the show. James' average risk on Final Jeopardy is $28,720 compared to Jennings' $6,686 (through their first 25 games). People are scared and nervous to risk large amounts of money. The money amounts are grabbing everyone's attention.

In my opinion, you have to give James a lot more credit than just being fast on the clicker.

Here are a couple of great links with statistics on Jame's run:

https://www.wired.com/story/james-holzhauer-jeopardy-greatness-charts/

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/04/james-holzhauer-ken-jennings-comparison.html

#15 4 years ago

Sorry, those headphone emojis are supposed to be a colon, followed by the number 1. LOL.

#16 4 years ago

15 minutes until the new episode. James is going for $2,000,000 in winnings. Set your DVR or make sure to watch it live!

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Jeopardy is syndicated. It doesn't come on until 7:30 Eastern Time here.

Ahh, okay. It's always at 4:30pm here in CST.

It was a great episode today.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Agent_Hero:

That guy was so mad. He was probably thinking he could beat him 2 out of 3 times, but this time was the one that counted. Clutch daily double to start the comeback.

You're right. If he doesn't get that Daily Double, the streak is over.

We'll see if he breaks the $2 million mark tomorrow.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Guy shoulda gone for broke at the end and wagered it all .. woulda won

He would have still lost. James ended up with $52,108. The guy who was in 2nd, had $25,800. If he would have risked it all, he would have been just short at $51,600.

#23 4 years ago

$2,195,557 bump. New episode this afternoon/evening depending on where you are.

#27 4 years ago

Wow!

#39 4 years ago

It was a great run.

The librarian was one of the few contestants that had enough courage to actually bet a true Daily Double to get her ahead of James in the second round. I was also a little shocked she only bet $3,000 on the second one she found - which gave James an opportunity to pass her if he made a run on the questions that were left.

In the end (as others have mentioned), getting those Daily Doubles at the right time certainly gives you a huge advantage if you're willing to risk a good amount of money.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

I'm sure James being on the show increased their ratings, but it did seem like he gave up in the final. Had he bet large he would have beat the librarian. IMO

If he would have bet everything, he would have lost by $1.

Statistically speaking (as one poster already mentioned), the guy in third was his biggest threat. He had to box him out and hoped the librarian got her answer wrong in order to win.

#48 4 years ago

spfxted I can't remember which episode it was, but this was by far my favorite Daily Double.
    DailyDouble.JPGDailyDouble.JPG

#51 4 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

was this actually a question ?

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your post.

5 months later
    #54 4 years ago

Anyone watching the Tournament of Champions with James Holzhauer in it?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider afm95.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jeopardy-who-is-watching-james-holzhauer-s-historic-run-1?tu=afm95 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.