(Topic ID: 243602)

Jeopardy - Who is Watching James Holzhauer's Historic Run?

By AFM95

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Jeopardy - Who is Watching James Holzhauer's Historic Run?”

• Will James beat Ken Jennings' 74 game win streak? - YES 16 votes
      30%
    • Will James beat Ken Jennings' 74 game win streak? - NO 11 votes
      20%
    • Under $2,000,000 0 votes
    • Over $2,000,000 3 votes
      6%
    • Over $2,520,700 (Ken Jennings' winnings from his 74 game streak) 7 votes
      13%
    • Over $3,000,000 7 votes
      13%
    • Over $4,000,000 1 vote
      2%
    • Over, $5,000,000 4 votes
      7%
    • Crazy, but I think he'll win over $10,000,000 5 votes
      9%

(Multiple choice - 54 votes by 33 Pinsiders)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DailyDouble.JPG
    culture_james-holzhauer (resized).jpg
    There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

After Ken Jennings' 74 game streak ended in 2004, I don't think I have watched a Jeopardy episode since... until now. Is anyone else watching James Holzhauer's historic run? After yesterday's game, he has won a total of $1,939,027. The way he plays, he has an opportunity to pass the $2 million mark today, which would be in just 26 games. Absolutely incredible.

I set up a poll that is multiple choice; with two questions in mind:

1. Do you think James will beat Ken's 74 game win streak? - YES or NO
    2. How much do you think James will win during his run?
    culture_james-holzhauer (resized).jpgculture_james-holzhauer (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

I agree, I am intrigued by this player. He is not only super smart, but well rounded. He seems to know every category. Really remarkable.

Ken Jennings had the longest run on Jeopardy but Brad Rudder holds the most money earned on Jeopardy.

https://www.insider.com/jeopardy-winners-most-won-2018-9

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I agree, I am intrigued by this player. He is not only super smart, but well rounded. He seems to know every category. Really remarkable.
    Ken Jennings had the longest run on Jeopardy but Brad Rudder holds the most money earned on Jeopardy.
    https://www.insider.com/jeopardy-winners-most-won-2018-9

Thanks for the link about Brad Rutter. I had no idea Jeopardy had a Master's Tournament for $1,000,000. Talk about pressure.

#4 4 years ago

I think he's a alien. No normal person knows that much stuff!
    All jokes aside. He has a great strategy but seems a little cocky.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from 2manypins:

I don’t think it’s cockiness personally. I am pretty sure it’s just that he’s a little on the autistic spectrum. It’s crazy how much he knows and the recall he has on all those facts.

#6 4 years ago

He's The Three Eyed Raven, only explanation.

#7 4 years ago

He is impressive but Ken's 74 day is much, much harder than pressing the money. We've had this conversation many times in my office. I watch Jeopardy, on average, 4 days a week and it's funny to talk to people who just watch guys like James play. They think that he is some super human that has developed this whole strategy. The reality is that all 3 players know the answer to 75 to 80 percent of the questions. Jeopardy is all about clicker control. James is very good at it as was Ken.
    D.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pedleboy:

He is impressive but Ken's 74 day is much, much harder than pressing the money. We've had this conversation many times in my office. I watch Jeopardy, on average, 4 days a week and it's funny to talk to people who just watch guys like James play. They think that he is some super human that has developed this whole strategy. The reality is that all 3 players know the answer to 75 to 80 percent of the questions. Jeopardy is all about clicker control. James is very good at it as was Ken.
    D.

This is the answer. My wife and I watch about as much as you. On a normal night between the two of us we typically know about half the answers but we don't have to ring in or deal the with pressure of BEING ON JEOPARDY.

The questions aren't that hard once you get used to all the littles clues they add.

A good example is last night Mary looked like she had the clicker down on the first couple answers but quickly lost it and James did his thing.

Another thing is contestants usually have a year or more wait time from being picked to being filmed. With James being a "professional sports gambler" he probably had plenty of free time to study and practice during that time. I don't see him losing for a while.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pedleboy:

D.

I think James has f

#10 4 years ago

It's all fake so more people watch Jeopardy.

Wouldn't be the first time of game show has given the contestant all the answers

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I don’t think it’s cockiness personally. I am pretty sure it’s just that he’s a little on the autistic spectrum. It’s crazy how much he knows and the recall he has on all those facts.

Agreed. I am thinking he’s an aspie. I don’t see how anyone will ever beat him. He not only know his stuff, but he’s skilled with the buzzer.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

It's all fake so more people watch Jeopardy.
    Wouldn't be the first time of game show has given the contestant all the answers

Jeopardy has always given contestants the answers. That was the original point of the format.

Contestants have to provide the questions.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pedleboy:

D.

While I don't disagree with you about James' clicker control/timing being excellent (and imperative if you want to crush the competition); however, I think you're downplaying how many questions are actually answered correctly per "normal" show, and what the contestants really know. Traditional difficulty shows a 2 to 1 ratio of correct to wrong answers. So in reality, it's really more like 67%, than 75% to 80%. There was one season (season eight) that had a 4 to 1 ratio. Otherwise, it's typically 2 to 1.

To compare that to James, he's getting 97.31% of his buzz-in answer correct through his first 25 games compared to Ken's first 25 games at 92.49%. With the random categories you could receive in each game, that's beyond impressive.

On top of that, him "pressing" or risking 5-figure amounts with consistency on Double and Final Jeopardy is unprecedented on the show. James' average risk on Final Jeopardy is $28,720 compared to Jennings' $6,686 (through their first 25 games). People are scared and nervous to risk large amounts of money. The money amounts are grabbing everyone's attention.

In my opinion, you have to give James a lot more credit than just being fast on the clicker.

Here are a couple of great links with statistics on Jame's run:

https://www.wired.com/story/james-holzhauer-jeopardy-greatness-charts/

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/04/james-holzhauer-ken-jennings-comparison.html

#15 4 years ago

Sorry, those headphone emojis are supposed to be a colon, followed by the number 1. LOL.

#16 4 years ago

15 minutes until the new episode. James is going for $2,000,000 in winnings. Set your DVR or make sure to watch it live!

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

15 minutes until the new episode. James is going for $2,000,000 in winnings. Set your DVR or make sure to watch it live!

Jeopardy is syndicated. It doesn't come on until 7:30 Eastern Time here.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Jeopardy is syndicated. It doesn't come on until 7:30 Eastern Time here.

Ahh, okay. It's always at 4:30pm here in CST.

It was a great episode today.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Ahh, okay. It's always at 4:30pm here in CST.
    It was a great episode today.

That guy was so mad. He was probably thinking he could beat him 2 out of 3 times, but this time was the one that counted. Clutch daily double to start the comeback.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Agent_Hero:

That guy was so mad. He was probably thinking he could beat him 2 out of 3 times, but this time was the one that counted. Clutch daily double to start the comeback.

You're right. If he doesn't get that Daily Double, the streak is over.

We'll see if he breaks the $2 million mark tomorrow.

#21 4 years ago

Guy shoulda gone for broke at the end and wagered it all .. woulda won

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Guy shoulda gone for broke at the end and wagered it all .. woulda won

He would have still lost. James ended up with $52,108. The guy who was in 2nd, had $25,800. If he would have risked it all, he would have been just short at $51,600.

#23 4 years ago

$2,195,557 bump. New episode this afternoon/evening depending on where you are.

#24 4 years ago

I think James will break Ken Jenning record on Friday. prediction! The guy is incredible and fun to watch.

#25 4 years ago

My wife and I are loving James's run! We have been watching Jeopardy for years and I've never seen anything like James. I love watching him dominate, these other people don't even stand a chance.

I can't wait to see James in an All Star tournament up against all the heavy hitters.

#26 4 years ago

Didn't they hint at a Ken vs James show?

#27 4 years ago

Wow!

#28 4 years ago

Now you mean who WAS watching him.......bye!

#29 4 years ago

I’d like to hear him explain why he chose the amount of his final bet.

#31 4 years ago

He calculated what the other guy would’ve been after a double up. He knew she would have to get it wrong for him to win.

#32 4 years ago

So was I missing some thing on the first question ? 1000 dollar Question = Jeperdy - Went all in - he answered the Question correct and got 1000 dollars . Should that not been 2000 dollars ?

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from TenaciousT:

So was I missing some thing on the first question ? 1000 dollar Question = Jeperdy - Went all in - he answered the Question correct and got 1000 dollars . Should that not been 2000 dollars ?

I didn't see it.

If he had zero dollars, he could wager up to one thousand in the first round of Jeopardy. If he wagered one thousand his total would be one thousand. If this was the first question, he would have no money when he wagered.

If he had one thousand, and wagered one thousand and won, then he'd have two thousand.

LTG : )

#34 4 years ago

Am I the only one that thinks that he felt he had won enough and decided it was time to end his time?

#35 4 years ago

She won because of the 2 Daily Doubles.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Yeah, and he ran away with lots of other games hitting 2 or all 3 of them as well.

She’s a librarian though - gotta figure she’s getting it right. Should have wagered all his money. I think he would have won then?

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Should have wagered all his money. I think he would have won then?

Seems not.

"But Holzhauer explained to The Action Network that he first was concerned with the contestant in third place, who had $11,000 heading into a Final Jeopardy. Doubling down would have gotten that contestant to $22,000, which would have been $1 less than if James would have missed. If James doubled down, he would have been at $46,800, but Boettcher seemed to have done the math perfectly as well. She got the question right and wagered $20,201, which gave her $46,801, a dollar more than what Holzhauer would’ve earned with a double-down bet.

“I knew I could only win if Emma missed Final Jeopardy, as there was no way she wouldn’t bet to cover my all-in bet,” Holzhauer told The Action Network. “So my only concern was getting overtaken by third place, and I bet just enough to make sure of locking him out. Betting big would have looked good for the cameras, but now I turn my straight bet (Emma misses) into a parlay (Emma misses and I get it right).”

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Quoted from Mbecker:

Yeah, and he ran away with lots of other games hitting 2 or all 3 of them as well.

As the returning champion he always got to choose the first category and amount. His strategy was to start with a number of the $1000 squares before looking for the daily double in the $800 and $600 spots (where it usually is) and then bet everything. He did this day after day and jumped out to big leads all the time. Other contestants would usually pick a category they liked, start with the $200 square and work their way up that category. His strategy was way better, as long as he was the one getting the chances (one in jeopardy and two in double jeopardy) to double up. She beat him at his own game by getting to the double ups before him...which was probably the only way he could be beat.

#39 4 years ago

It was a great run.

The librarian was one of the few contestants that had enough courage to actually bet a true Daily Double to get her ahead of James in the second round. I was also a little shocked she only bet $3,000 on the second one she found - which gave James an opportunity to pass her if he made a run on the questions that were left.

In the end (as others have mentioned), getting those Daily Doubles at the right time certainly gives you a huge advantage if you're willing to risk a good amount of money.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Genjuro:

Am I the only one that thinks that he felt he had won enough and decided it was time to end his time?

It seemed to me the show was rigged for him to go bye bye. The show was getting tired of paying out huge $$$ and controlled where the daily doubles hit.

#41 4 years ago

All I thought about during his run was how much it would of sucked to be a contestant playing against him. Some folks wait what seems like their entire life for a shot on Jeopardy and then when they finally make it on the show - they get to compete against someone like James.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from 2manypins:

Could be staged.

#43 4 years ago

I dont think it was staged, but I do think that the producers can select players that they feel would offer more or less challenge.

#44 4 years ago

I'm sure James being on the show increased their ratings, but it did seem like he gave up in the final. Had he bet large he would have beat the librarian. IMO

#45 4 years ago

Sucks he has to pay ~50% of his winnings in taxes.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

I'm sure James being on the show increased their ratings, but it did seem like he gave up in the final. Had he bet large he would have beat the librarian. IMO

If he would have bet everything, he would have lost by $1.

Statistically speaking (as one poster already mentioned), the guy in third was his biggest threat. He had to box him out and hoped the librarian got her answer wrong in order to win.

#47 4 years ago

All the conspiracy theories are wayyy out there. There was no way James could have won unless Emma got the question wrong.

She played a fantastic game and denied James access to his critical daily doubles. My wife and I also noticed that the guy in the middle was playing hard and answering questions well, which cut into James's total.

Alex even said, the three of them answered correctly all but one of the clues. Which is pretty amazing in itself.

#48 4 years ago

spfxted I can't remember which episode it was, but this was by far my favorite Daily Double.
    DailyDouble.JPGDailyDouble.JPG

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

spfxted I can't remember which episode it was, but this was by far my favorite Daily Double.
    [quoted image]

was this actually a question ?

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

was this actually a question ?

No.

Great yes ! Funny yes ! Photoshopped yes !

LTG : )

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jeopardy-who-is-watching-james-holzhauer-s-historic-run-1?hl=loganjk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.