Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00585.JPG
#1 11 years ago

I own a nice JM. I plan to hold onto it for a while, but when I am ready to let it go, my thought is to trade for either a JD or a DM. I have never played JD, and only briefly played DM. Are they all 3 comparable pins (in roughly the same league), or is one the clear leader or the clear loser of the 3? Does anyone own all 3 titles? If so, which is the most played of the 3? Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

I think they're all in the same league. DM is a widebody, so take that into account. My favorite is JM, but I don't have much time on JD or DM yet.

#3 11 years ago

Never cared too much for DM. I've owned JM and JD and JD is the better game.

#4 11 years ago

JM has a scoring imbalance that I can't get over. JD and DM I like both for totally different reasons, but I do like both quite a bit.

#5 11 years ago

I have all 3, with DM being acquired recently, I think if you're getting rid of JM then the logical step would be JD..it's got more shots and it's a pretty complete package, by that I mean art, sound, shots, toys etc... DM is a very good game also but just a hair short of JD..very close, almost a tie.

#6 11 years ago

I've owed all three

Gameplay: dm is my favorite - crazy flow, nice use of combs, multiball fest. Jm fast flowing game apart from the hand, and decent rules with a cool widzard mode, jd layout is interesting and the ball lock toy is very cool but the rules are ok, but some are very funny

Art - jd is the winner hands down, great hand drawn pf and translite, there is art on the pf that you don't usually see and is hidden. Jm is next nice looking pf, translite is ok, dm has grown on me - campy fun

Music - tie between jd nice hard rock tracks, fits the theme well and dm movie style music. Jm isn't bad either and fits the theme.

For me in a smaller collection game play wins out and I still have dm. In a larger collection (more than 20 games) I'd pick up a jd again for the art and music. Jm while I liked it, felt a little lacking overall and the hand while a cool idea was just implemented poorly.

Again just my views on owning these, your mileage will vary

#7 11 years ago

Both are wide bodies. Both are equally great games. I have owned both and it would be very hard to say which one I like more. I would get whatever game is in better condition when it's time to trade the JM.

#8 11 years ago

JD by a long shot. JM I do not care for at all, and DM IMO is one of the uglier B/W ever made.

#9 11 years ago

All fun pins. I own JD though, so there's my vote lol. Love the theme and the missions all require varied fun shots.

#10 11 years ago

I have DM and JD side by side in my gameroom. Both are great, but DM has a nice addicting flow to it. I would lean towards DM by a little bit.

#11 11 years ago

Judge Dredd, not just because it is a much better playing machine, it is also a better theme that doesn't include has-been actors.

#12 11 years ago

I've owned both JM and JD, and JM is the one that stayed. Killer speed, great strategy in the ruleset, and one of the best wizard modes in all of pinball.

DM is a super-fun game, and the gun handles add a unique wrinkle that's nowhere else.

For me, JM>DM>JD.

Later,
EV

#13 11 years ago

I have a DM and had JD. I was also going to put them side by side, but the JD never made it into the game room. I just didn't enjoy the game enough, so I sold it while it was still in my garage. DM is still fun, but I play it like a basher. Just a fun romp around a pin. I have the outlanes totally open with no rubber on the little post at the lane guide. So really if the ball gets to the sides odds are it is gone. That change took it from really long games down to snappy slapfest really fast.

So if it was me, I'd rate DM over both JD and JM by a mile. I've only played about 20 games of JM though, so that is a borderline opinion until I play it more. But you should pick the one you like to play. Which do you enjoy more when you play?

#14 11 years ago

for me, it goes JD, JM, then DM. I have JM and JD sitting side by side at the moment. They play very differently and both have their merits. Judge dredd is a better multiplayer game.

#15 11 years ago

I think these are all very equal pins overall...they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

JD: Art, sound/music, shots, hard multiball, rules are all excellent. To me, the upper playfield with the upper right flipper is a little clunky. Supergame is lame, but that can be ignored.

JM: Great speed and flow, ok music and art, rules have some imbalance in scoring, glove is weak, excellent wizard mode.

DM: Great flow, multiballs are the main feature (good or bad), terrible art, pretty good sound/music, some really cool shots, unique "handles" that are cool to try but aren't really that practical.

#16 11 years ago

I am going to copy/paste a post I made about a year ago in a DM vs JD thread. Alot has changed since then, mostly the prices I mention and the fact that I unfortunately no longer own either of them (trade deal and they had to go). I hope to have both back someday.

As for JM, that's another great game...tons of speed, flow, and interesting rules. As much as the glove slows down the play (which many people hate), it does add a pretty cool layer of strategy if you pay attention to what you should be doing with it. I am not nearly as familiar with JM as I am the other two, but I really enjoy playing it and hope to have one someday as well.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these three..they all have a lot of similarities and are huge bang-for-the-buck titles. I don't think any of them stand out as much better or worse than the others. If I had to choose, I'd probably pick JD over the others, but only by a hair. I can also honestly say that I would pick any of these three over many A-titles that cost as much as all three combined!

Here's the cut and paste of DM vs JD:
-------------------------------------------------
Wow...tough call. I have them sitting side by side and they are a great combo. I can't really make a fair judgement since I just got my DM a couple weeks ago and haven't shopped it out yet, but as of right now I'd say Dredd wins by a hair.

There is just so much to do in JD...it's a "kitchen sink" game in that they threw everything in there (well..except pop bumpers which this game does not need). Fairly deep and varied rules, awesome art and sound, tons of dark humor, and a great flowy layout. You can combo and loop your way around the upper playfield endlessly if you are good enough. It's fast and difficult. Deadworld (with mod) is the best ball lock ever. Supergame is a nice bonus, especially so kids and guests can easily get a multiball.

As much flow as Dredd has, Demo Man has even more. The whole game is one giant combo and I love that it actually keeps track of and rewards you for them. I wish Dredd would do this. I am not nearly as familiar with the rules, but it seems a lot more shallow than JD. There are more multiball modes though, and there is no lack of fun stuff to do. The claw is a really cool toy, as are the car crash and captive eyeball. Good quirky sense of humor, like the movie. Art is no where near as good as JD, but not as bad as some make it out to be. Good music and great callouts. The handles are fun and give the game a different feel. Neat "easter egg" surprises (as does Dredd for that matter though).

It's really a tough call. There are lots of similarities between the games. Both are HUGE bang for the buck games and can be found for under $1500 easily...closer to $1k or less if you are really lucky. Both widebodies. Both have tons of flow and combos (though no credit for them on JD, other than the battletank mode I guess). Both have captive balls, and even further both have a multiple captive shot (double car crash in DM, triple reactor shot in JD). Both have a magnetic crane/claw in the upper left, though DM gets extra points for being user controllable. Both have unique "user interface", handles on DM, launch buttons on sides on JD. Both have great theme integration. Both have tons of "coolness" factor. Etc, etc, etc.

I could keep going on, but it probably won't help make a decision. Bottom line is, both are really fun games and great values. Dredd definitely takes the cake on art, DM probably has the more "friendly" layout. You really can't go wrong with either one for the price. Not sure I could trade one for the other, but if I did, Dredd would most likely win by a hair. Once my DM is shopped out and tweaked it would likely be an even harder decision.

#17 11 years ago

JM is great
JD is fun
DM is ok

#18 11 years ago

I've owned all three at one time or another - I'd rank them with JD as the best of the three and JM at the bottom.

#19 11 years ago

I think I am going to focus on JM for now, but when it comes time to trade I will be seeking a DM. I love the movie, know the theme well and am a closet Stallone fan. As far as JD goes, I love the look of the pin, but know nothing about the subject matter. Theme is huge for me.

#20 11 years ago

You will love DM. It doesn't really matter that the movie wasn't so great. The game play is really fun and addictive. The music is awesome and has a very unique layout. Great game for the money for sure.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

I think I am going to focus on JM for now, but when it comes time to trade I will be seeking a DM. I love the movie, know the theme well and am a closet Stallone fan. As far as JD goes, I love the look of the pin, but know nothing about the subject matter. Theme is huge for me.

If theme is huge for you and you love the DM movie, you will definitely love the pin. There are a ton of great lines from the movie used in perfect spots. It is a very nicely integrated theme.

Damn I miss mine...and this thread is NOT helping... LOL

"You look great today."
"Yeah...well I feel good too!"

Freaking awesome movie...way underrated. I wonder if most of the people that say the theme sucks have ever actually watched it. It's hilarious. The movie is just as underrated as the pin!

#22 11 years ago

Have quite a few games on all three and rate them JD - DM- JM. Liked JD enough to buy one with no regrets so far.

#24 11 years ago

I have JM & DM and my buddy has Dredd. Dredd is an awesome flow game as is JM. DM can create very dynamic ball movement to a point you ask yourself did the ball really just jump like that. Dredd has supergame which is just a cool multi ball mode and JM has master of powerdown. I would rate them as JD, JM & DM.

#25 11 years ago

All are like a fine wine it just depends on your mood but all are great Cheers!

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

unique "handles" that are cool to try but aren't really that practical.

? The pistol grips are essential to higher scores. They nearly double your bonuses, and it's a very bonus heavy game. They also make it extremely easy to nudge and slide the game.

#27 11 years ago

I've also owned all 3. Only had JM & JD 1 time. On my 4th DM, and its not leaving. Some people, including me think its an ugly game. Once LED's came into play, it changed how I felt about it. The gameplay has great flow and a descent ruleset. The handles are very unique and make it fun to save shots that would otherwise be gone. My vote is obvious. Absolutely love how mine came out in frosted blue:

DSC00585.JPGDSC00585.JPG

#28 11 years ago

I own DM and JM. I've played JD, but not extensively. Wouldn't mind owning JD at some point.

Between DM and JM, it's a fairly close call, but DM will get my vote. I just love the combos, the flow, the sounds, and hitting the Super Jackpot is cool. JM is a ton faster than DM, and can be a lot more challenging. I don't like how much the glove slows things down. Sounds are very good, though I still prefer the sound/music on DM.

DM has a God awful backglass unfortunately, and the artwork on the rest of the pin isn't good either. But the game play is great. JM is a better looking pin than DM.

These three deserve to be compared against each other. I think all three offer a great bang for the buck.

#29 11 years ago

I've got a Dredd that I picked up because it was a good deal, and am now completely in love with the game. It's got a really cool flow in the upper region of the playfield, great ramp shots, and a ton of ways to go about playing it. Also has some fantastic multiball modes, and the art grew on me quickly. It's probably the most popular of the pins I have.

As for DM, I had looked at picking it up a few times, and concluded it's not for me... Not a bad game, but just doesn't seem to play as well as or have the depth of Dredd. I most recently played it at the Ohio show, and just couldn't get into it at all...

I haven't played Jonny Mnemonic in recent memory, so I can't comment on that one....

#30 11 years ago

DM FTW! I think if DM had a cooler theme it would be a Too 10 game.

JM didn't stay in my collection long. Had a JD very briefly but would like to own again.

#31 11 years ago

DM has horrific translite artwork and PF artwork that is dreadfully boring and hasn't aged well.

I prefer JD because all the artwork is incredible, comic art simply doesn't age, no weak spots at all. The game is hilariously funny and the audio is great. While DM has great combos and flow, it also has a toy that really slows down the game. JD is constantly non-stop except for when locking balls.

#33 11 years ago

win,win,win

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Millz:

I've also owned all 3. Only had JM & JD 1 time. On my 4th DM, and its not leaving. Some people, including me think its an ugly game. Once LED's came into play, it changed how I felt about it. The gameplay has great flow and a descent ruleset. The handles are very unique and make it fun to save shots that would otherwise be gone. My vote is obvious. Absolutely love how mine came out in frosted blue:

That DM looks beautiful. Nice work.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

While DM has great combos and flow, it also has a toy that really slows down the game.

Not only does it slow down the game, it f's up the rule set. You can choose the same mode over and over, and that mode is always Maximize Freezes. But...

The brilliant part is that you can TURN IT OFF in the settings. It eliminates the game slow down, and it forces you to play all modes. The game is better, and more challenging without the claw, and that's why it's always turned off in major tournaments. Many home owners who are players first and foremost just leave it off.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

That DM looks beautiful. Nice work.

Next time your coming towards the Mall of America, PM me and you can swing by and play for a while. Another pinsider lives a little over 3 blocks away as well.

#37 11 years ago

Well a fellow pinsider is writing new code for DM that really adds to the game. Do a search, he was looking for beta testers a while back, but the code is really good right now. He also posted some youtube vids of the new and improved modes.

#39 11 years ago

Never played JM but always here good things. I enjoyed DM and remember this being a fun pin which got me more into pinball. I like the shots and playfield layout. I have never played JD but finally will this week in a pin tournament. Let you know.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 72.95
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 85.00
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jd-vs-jm-vs-dm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.