40%
  • JM 27 votes
    60%

(45 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Carl (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Which one has longer staying power in a 3 pin collection. Please if you leave a comment, please include the reason why you feel that way instead of just posting the name of the pin. Thank you and any opinions are welcome

#2 5 years ago

JD has a slightly deeper ruleset but I like the gameplay of JM more overall. Better to look at this in terms of you will need to own both at some point neither are long term keepers, at least for me

#3 5 years ago

I feel that judge dredd is beyond underrated for what it offers, and because of that it's a great value.

For a widebody game it plays fast, and there are a ton of shots but they arent gimmies.
The upper part of the playfield is like a separate game if you play it well. Hitting multiple loops on the upper left or right flipper alone makes the game for me, I hit 6 on the upper right the other day.

The ramps and wireforms are plentiful and smooth, the drop targets offer good risk/reward, and you can control your modes as you see fit. The deadworld is a neat toy and offers a unique ball lock for sure.

It has a secondary Super game that lets you experience additional modes and more multiballs

To top it all off, the art, music, callouts, and dmd dots are excellent and integrated perfectly.

I look at this game like the shadow, its polarizing - you either love it or dont, it can kick your ass if you let it, or can offer a truly sublime experience.

This game is like Carl Weathers, the total package that everyone forgot about once Wesley Snipes came on the scene.

#4 5 years ago

Judge dredd is better than jm but for a similar title I’d get demo man

#5 5 years ago

JD has a great layout, but the rules are basic and don't make use of it. So many shots you're never incentivized to hit. MB only requires two shots (drops and left ramp) and you can even get to wizard mode through MB (which is really weird, like they just ran out of time to code in anything else). The modes are fun but unbalanced and ignorable, and the whole crime scene system is worthless. Entire game needs a major balancing pass

JM's layout is more of a normal fan layout, but it's got a lot of cool rules regarding the lock matrix, jackpots, throwing spikes, spinner, bonus, etc.

JD has better theme work though. Great music, etc

#6 5 years ago

Dredd is super underrated. One of the best bang for your bucks you can get. One is coming into my collection soon enough

#7 5 years ago

I own both games and i really enjoy both but I prefer judge dredd I think it has deeper rules and better artwork.

#8 5 years ago

this is a hard one for me

#9 5 years ago

This is an interesting head-to-head. Normally, people compare JD to DM, since they are both wide bodies. Between those two games, I much prefer DM. This is a way harder decision, though. I chose JD in the poll, but I think both games are pretty even. Theme wise, JD blows JM away. JD is based on an iconic comic book series, whereas JM is based on a horrible movie that nobody gives a shit about. JD also has a MUCH better art package. From a gameplay perspective, I'd give JM a slight edge, although the glove does hinder the flow and can be problematic from a mechanical standpoint. Overall, they are both fun games and a great bang for the buck.

#10 5 years ago

I had my JD for two months and traded it for a JM which I’ve had for over a year. By far the better game. It’s smoother, faster, and has much better variety. I love overall look of JD but it never felt as good as far as shooting it goes. I also feel like the dead world mod actually made the game worse even though it’s really cool to see.

#11 5 years ago

Wow... that’s actually a hard call. I guess I’d say JM... but not by much. They both have a lot of cool things going on and they were actually my first two (working) games. They’re both fun games with kind love it or hate it themes... and they’re both a little flawed.

I guess I’d say JM is a little tougher and a little faster, with the short little U turn ramps. The glove/matrix is a cool toy, and adds some strategy to the game, but maybe it was a little too complex for its own good. There’s a little more scoring potential in the rule set. Music is pretty cool, but the voice calls are almost laughable... although compared to some of the stuff now they’re not bad impersonations.

Dredd has 4 flippers and a little more shot variety. Music is love it or hate it, but the voice calls are cool. The Deadworld/crane is a pretty useless toy, especially as implemented on the original game, but the mod version is sort of neat. Has a pretty basic mode based rule set, although there is some strategy to being able to choose your mode it’s really not that big a deal, IMO. Big long looping shots are always cool to hit. No pops.

#13 5 years ago

I've owned both, sold both and bought both back again. I love the artwork on JD and thank god it was based off the comic instead of Stallone's movie. There is lots of interesting shots and the upper figure eight loop can be very satisfying once you get a rhythm going. The deadworld mod with the physical ball locks is also a neat feature but some (myself included) will argue it slows the game down and prefer the virtual locks. The dots are great and tons of great modes and humour to boot. JM artwork is meh... but the orbits and ramps are so much fun to hit and very repeatable too. I don't mind the glove as there is a strategy to where you drop the balls to collect things such as awards or even how your jackpots are collected once multi-ball starts. JM also has one of the coolest wizard modes called Powerdown too. If you haven't played or seen it check it out on youtube.

Neither are leaving my collection again but if push came to shove I would probably sell JD and keep JM.

#14 5 years ago

Dredd is one of my favorite pins ever, regardless of cost. Awesome layout, and the rules make good use of it. Tons of modes.

Johnny didn't last long at my house. Plus, scoring on JM is broken

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

scoring on JM is broken

Not disagreeing because I haven't noticed, just wondered what you meant?

#16 5 years ago

I like JD better myself. Sleeper pin. Although to be fair, I haven't spent very much time on a JM.

#17 5 years ago

JM by miles.

I’ve only owned one of these 2 games (JD), but I’ve played enough of both of them to make that decision. I tend to keep my games a long time, but JD only lasted 2 weeks in my house. I hated it. Now granted, that was back when were a lot cheaper and I bought it on a whim not knowing the game well. But I ended up having to dump it because I started hating Pinball by playing it. I think I’ve played it about 5 times since owning it, if I owned 1000 games, none of them would be JD.

JM on the other hand is a fun romp. I’m not wild about the glove, but other than that, I enjoy the game. And I really like hitting the spinner.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from pkrobin:

Not disagreeing because I haven't noticed, just wondered what you meant?

Probably the JM spinner millions exploit.

#19 5 years ago

I'd pass on both.

#20 5 years ago

I own both. Have for years now. Your going to get varying advice about both. Have you played either one yet? I like them both but like the fast flow of JM better than JD. And yes the glove does slow it down but that’s break time for me. Powerdown is pretty cool on JM. JD wizard mode “ultimate challenge” is a bit of a letdown. Now my 5-1/2 year old boy likes JD way better than JM.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Probably the JM spinner millions exploit.

Gotcha. Harder than it sounds to really blow that up for most players including myself. I like my JM.

#22 5 years ago

I have owned both for extended periods and prefer JD over JM by a landslide.

#23 5 years ago

I've bought JM 4 times. I've never even put an offer down for a JD. So..........yep.

#24 5 years ago

I used to let my dislike of the JM movie affect my appreciation of the game. I owned it for years and didn't *really* know all the rules -> then sold it.
Many years later, I got another JM, learned the rules and took the time to get it playing perfect. Now I think it's one of the best non-A titles out there -> right next to Shadow. There are a lot of modes and features and it's one of the fastest games out there. But similar to Shadow, if you're below a certain skill level or don't know the rules well it may seem lacking.

I highly recommend JM. JD is fun, but much, much less exciting and slower.

#25 5 years ago

You definitely get more hardware for your money with JD. But having owned both, I enjoyed JM more. It is such a fast game.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

This game is like Carl Weathers, the total package that everyone forgot about once Wesley Snipes came on the scene.

Pinside analogy of the week. Two thumbs up!

Carl (resized).jpgCarl (resized).jpg
#27 5 years ago

thanks guys, at the moment i'm leaning towards JD. I've never played JD in real life but only in pinball arcade and if the real JD plays anything like the pinball arcade game, then it's a keeper for me. I've only played JM handful of times and I enjoyed it and unlike most ppl, I think the glove is the best part of the game.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

I've only played JM handful of times and I enjoyed it and unlike most ppl, I think the glove is the best part of the game.

The more you play it the more it will wear on you. Again it's a great idea and I'm still surprised it's never been upgraded and made really quick.

#29 5 years ago

I own both. Bought JD first then 3 pins later bought JM. I went through the same debate JD vs JM with DM and LAH as 3rd and 4th choice.

Art, Modding, modes all go to JD

Speed, Flow and Game Play to JM

The flipper gap and left drain lane on JD makes it less enjoyable to me plus maintenance wise JD seems to have more issues (deadworld, crane, all the opto's) Though Johnny's glove does have its bad days too.

JD has nicer DMD animations but the trip to Powerdown mode in Johnny is something I keep coming back to.

After a few years of owning both I have to pick JM.

#30 5 years ago

What would you rather do; endlessly tweak a glove or endlessly tweak a rotating planet?

#31 5 years ago

Pretty different games. If I were to own one at this point it would be a JD, but I think JM is the better game. There are just games I enjoy more that give me a similar thrill of repeatedly hitting ramps. It's fun, but at it's core it's shooting ramps then the spinner. I see you have BSD on your list. I'd take that over either of them.

#32 5 years ago

I've been a JM fan for a good while now. I also have a JD, and owned DM in the past. I think JM is better game, but in a multi pin collection all 3 are great games (but with DM in the 3rd place). JD is one of the few games with 4 ramp shots...there is a lot going on in the upper right hand. Also in the age of games being shipped with incomplete code and people waiting over a year for updates JD is some what of a Unicorn, a game with 2 game codes in one. If you do buy one, make sure the Deadworld and crane work 100%.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

If you do buy one, make sure the Deadworld and crane work 100%.

Good advice. But also be prepared to adjust it every now and then when the crane slips out of alignment. It's a bit of a PITA to figure out but once you've done it once, you'll be fine doing it again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 40.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 22.50
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus
(Alt) Translites
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jd-vs-jm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.