Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RampShot11
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

other_coil.jpg
incredible.jpg
jd_underside.jpg
jd_coil.jpg
gi120.jpg

#1 8 years ago

played a buddies JD and it dawned on me that it's awfully dark back there on mine. All lamps are out! Faulty molex connector?? Where to start? I'm looking at the manual and my eyes are glazing over...

#2 8 years ago

definitely start at the connector and reseat for a short term fix. Look for burns and replace as necessary along with headers.

#3 8 years ago

Go into test mode and look for what wire colours are listed on that GI string. Check those wires going to the boards and plugs first. Also check under the playfield for any connectors or wires that may be loose. I repaired a guys WCS the other day and I found that just wiggling one connector by the back of the playfield the insert GI came back on.

best of luck

#4 8 years ago

Well, I found a connector (two prong) that has two white and two green wires that's not connected to anything. There is no mate to it, either. The whole machine is hack free, so i'm stumped. It should be connected to something, right.

This machine actually has "judge dredd" printed on the coils. Is that odd? I told a few people that and one dude flat out called "bullshit" on me.

-dave

#5 8 years ago

could this be the culprit?? it's listed as GI in my shop manual.

gi120.jpg

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

This machine actually has "judge dredd" printed on the coils.

Pictures please !

#7 8 years ago

here's one of the coils. pretty clean under there, huh?

jd_coil.jpg

#8 8 years ago

Sure looks like the problem. I would replace connector and pins. If you replace the pins make sure to check for continuity between the traces on each side of the board.
Also check the connector coming from the transformer on the lower left. I believe it's J115. That one burns up too.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

here's one of the coils. pretty clean under there, huh?

Heck yeah that is clean ,I wonder who made those coil wrappers ? I like it ..

Jim

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Heck yeah that is clean ,I wonder who made those coil wrappers ? I like it ..
Jim

I'd assume williams/bally did. This machine is a reimport, which might explain this away. I'm not an expert on these things, however.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I'd assume williams/bally did

I really doubt it ! Someone made those and they look really cool but not factory by any means .

Jim

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I really doubt it ! Someone made those and they look really cool but not factory by any means .
Jim

You're probably right. Seems kinda hokey that they did that.

#13 8 years ago

Wow, that is clean

#14 8 years ago

Sure looks like the problem. I would replace connector and pins. If you replace the pins make sure to check for continuity between the traces on each side of the board.
Also check the connector coming from the transformer on the lower left. I believe it's J115. That one burns up too.

thanks, tom. i'll get to it one of these days (famous last words)...

another pic of the underside. It's crazy clean and so is the inside and rest of the machine. I'm actually thinking of selling it but not until i have my TZ in-house.

I better move it away from the patio door before the sun fades it or somebody steals it.

jd_underside.jpg incredible.jpg other_coil.jpg

3 years later
#15 4 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

thanks, tom. i'll get to it one of these days (famous last words)...
another pic of the underside. It's crazy clean and so is the inside and rest of the machine. I'm actually thinking of selling it but not until i have my TZ in-house.
I better move it away from the patio door before the sun fades it or somebody steals it.
jd_underside.jpg (Click image to enlarge) incredible.jpg (Click image to enlarge) other_coil.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I know this thread is super old, but did you ever figure out why the GI's in the back were out? I had the same problem and it turned out to be the fuse on the Driver board. F115 if my memory serves correct. BTW that is by far the cleanest JD i have ever seen. Nice find.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside