• Latest reply 10 years ago by HoakyPoaky
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sniper_jd.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Looking for some advice from some other JD owners who have successfully installed the Deadworld Mod. I've read through old threads & cant find the answer. I thought it would be as simple as swapping the parts & installing the ROM, but of course it's never that simple. Sorry for writing a book here, but i just wanted to be clear. Any advice is greatly appreciated

So I recently purchased my kit from Pinbits, and I successfully installed the ring & the L1AT ROM it came with. The crane is adjusted perfectly & unloads fine when a ball is placed on the ring. I've tested all the switch optos involved with the multiball lock (LT Ramp Enter, Globe Exit & LT ramp to lock), and they all are working fine. But when I play a game now, all 3 balls are virtually locked, and the diverter is not being triggered to direct the balls onto the Deadworld ring.

Before i attempted this mod, I previously had the L7 ROM installed. In this setup for multiball, the 1st two balls were virtually locked & the 3rd ball was successfully diverted to the deadworld ring, so I know that the diverter switch is not broken. I know all the switches work properly when i pass my finger through them. It just that the diverter is not being triggered with the L1AT ROM installed. So I know the issue is with a switch, specifically the LT Ramp Enter switch.

As I understand it, on the old L1AT ROM, the LT Ramp Enter switch is #32. On the newer roms, it operates as #67. But there is no physical #32 switch on my table, which according to the manual is located at the opening of the LT ramp. On my table, the LT Ramp Enter switch is located farther up the LT ramp, near the base of the crane.

Here's how the switches are listed now on my table...
Switch 32 - LT Ramp Enter - open (not physically present)
Switch 62 - Globe Exit - closes/opens
Switch 63 - LT Ramp to Lock - closes/opens
Switch 67 - Not Used - closes/opens

With the L1AT ROM installed, the LT Ramp Enter switch is assigned to #32 (which does not exist) and the #67 switch is not used. So I think I order to make this work with the L1AT ROM, I need to somehow turn the #67 switch into #32. This should turn the #67 switch into the diverter controller, then the balls should lock on the deadworld ring correctly.

I have NO idea how to do this My soldering & electronic skills are non existent, but I'm ready to learn. I did find this link for an additional board that accomplishes the 67/32 switch change, and I'm thinking this might be the easiest way to solve the problem.

http://www.iobium.com/judge_dredd_locking_ring_mod.htm

I'm sure I'm not the only person who has had this problem, so how did other JD owners solve it? I really want this Deadworld mod to work as the original designers intended. Thanks for your help guys

#2 10 years ago

Sounds like you have a proto/sample/super early machine. Is your ramp entrance switch close to the ramp entrance or much further up? Other clues are an actual sniper on the sniper plastic instead of a bullseye, and a few other minor changes, but who knows what has been changed through the years. There was just a thread about this a few weeks back.

At either rate, I would put money on that it's an early machine and in that case you need to use the L1 ROM, not the L1AT ROM. Let Pinbits know (assuming it is an early machine and there isn't something else going on) and they will send you one.

#3 10 years ago

and if you find you have an early machine, I have one as well, so if you need any pics let me know. I have not installed the mod on my game yet, but just talked with Pinbits about this just yesterday. they verified that my game was early and will send the L1 rom with my mod. I am waiting for the plastic protectors to get made and going to do the mod and the protectors at the same time.

this is what your sniper target should look like if its early...

sniper_jd.jpgsniper_jd.jpg

#4 10 years ago

My sniper target does not look like that. The physical location of my LT ramp opto is located near the top of the ramp, not near the ramp entry. So I'm not really sure if I have an early production table or not. I don't think I do.

I called Pinside (which I should have done in the first place) and they're sending the L1 ROM. Hopefully that should solve the problem. But I thought the L1AT would work, due to the higher location of the opto. Maybe the L1AT they send was mislabeled? We'll see I guess...

#5 10 years ago

I don't think you have an early version. The Left Ramp opto should be near the top so yours is right. Switch 32 should not be there and isn't used.

#6 10 years ago

By the way, my first rom L1AT from Pinbits was fubar and they had to send me a second one which worked fine. This was a couple weeks ago so maybe they had a bad batch.

#7 10 years ago

Well, your ramp could have been switched at some point. Mine was, but thankfully the previous owner also included the original ramp which is when I noticed that the optos were in different places. Stranger things have happened. I would try L1 and see what happens. If no go, see if they will replace L1AT in case yours was bad as amiga500's was. Never know! Good luck!

#8 10 years ago

Well Pinbits sent me the L1 ROM yesterday & I got it installed. Unfortunately this did not solve my problem. On my table (which after further research is NOT an early production pin), with either the L1 or L1AT ROM installed, neither is triggering the diverter & sending the balls to deadworld. With both ROMs, all 3 balls are virtually locked. Very frustrating.

I'm really hoping that the L1AT ROM they sent me is just defective. I'm stumped otherwise. I'm sure all the parts are working properly. I'll give them another call today. Thanks for the help everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jd-deadworld-mod-switches and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.