Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by kvan99
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN0533small.jpg

#1 6 years ago

I've read how this "mod" make the game that much cooler. I've also read that unless you have a perfectly playing game it can cause a lot of issues and that it really doesn't change game play much. My JD is playing well but I always have some credit dot errors that don't seem to effect gameplay. Errors are left upper and lower flipper EOS errors and I get a trough error but the game still plays as it should. Would I be foolish to add this mod?

#2 6 years ago

Fix your errors 1st or the Dead World mod will react wonking

#3 6 years ago

I think the mod is really cool, so I would add it.

That being said, one of the main issues is that the L1AT software doesn't include a ball clear if the game ends with 1 or 2 balls up on the Deadworld ring. Normally that's not a big deal, as it will virtual lock instead, and then drop all 3 when you start multiball. However, with your trough acting up, your game may have difficulty telling where balls are, and that might cause issues.

I'd get new trough boards from Great Lakes Modular, and then add the Deadworld.

Later,
EV

#4 6 years ago

You should get the switch errors fixed before installing this mod. You also ned to make sure the crane is working 100% before the mod is installed. There have been some game issues that present themselves after this mod is installed, so you want to make sure the game is playing 100% before installing. For the sake of your coils, you want to get those EOS errors fixed. You definitely want to replace the trough boards with new ones from GLM.

#5 6 years ago

And trough errors. Those with this mod can be a nightmare. Fix your game before modding it.

Quoted from mmuglia:

For the sake of your coils, you want to get those EOS errors fixed. You definitely want to replace the trough boards with new ones from GLM.

End if stroke switches on fliptronics dies not have anything to do with coil longevity or heat. They no longer kill the HV circuit like in older designs. Instead high power is pulsed once.

#6 6 years ago

Not worth it in my opinion. It slows down the game and can kill a good game if a crane error occurs. I added it and hated it. I ended up selling the game, so I never removed it. If I kept the game I would have taken it off. YMMV!

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

That being said, one of the main issues is that the L1AT software doesn't include a ball clear if the game ends with 1 or 2 balls up on the Deadworld ring. Normally that's not a big deal, as it will virtual lock instead, and then drop all 3 when you start multiball. However, with your trough acting up, your game may have difficulty telling where balls are, and that might cause issues.

Yeah, EV knows his stuff on JD. I agree with him.

#8 6 years ago

I just ordered this last night. I watched the promo video and found it to look super cool. The way the game plays now makes no sense.

#9 6 years ago

I've had JD for nearly 5 years now, never had a single issue with the deadworld mod. I can't even imagine playing the game without it. Nor could the original game designer, but I guess the final decision wasn't his.

#10 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input. I want the mod but it looks like I got some work to do and money to spend first. The credit dots annoy me but they haven't effected game play so I'm always a bit hesitant to try and fix things. So far I've been able to do the repairs when I set my mind to it.

#11 6 years ago

Fix your errors or you will regret adding the mod. I would pull out the opto boards in the trough and replace the opto sender/receivers. It seems to be a common problem. My deadworld mod worked with intermittent issues, after fixing the trough optos, all has been well (knock on wood). Be aware if you get sender/receivers from radioshack, be sure and read on the package which are senders and which are receivers. I believe they were opposite colors of what is currently in your game.

#12 6 years ago

I added the mod and like it. I did it immediately after getting my JD so I am not sure if I would have disliked the game without the mod. It was easy to install. I had trough errors that I had fixed first and I suggest you do the same like many here mentioned. My trough error was easy to fix because simply a resister solder joint was cracked. Once I re-flowed the solder all is well now. That trough takes quite a bit of pounding and impact vibration over time so these solder joints crack often I am told. Speaking of mod's. I just ordered the stainless steel crane mod off ebay. It has a couple LED's that light up too. I will let everyone know how that mod install goes but I think it will be super easy.

GL

#13 6 years ago

I've been working my way up to the Deadworld lock mod. Fixed my trough/shooter lane errors; first by installing new GL opto boards (which didn't fix it) and then replaced the lane microswitch (which DID fix it). Now, I've got the left shooter lane experiencing the same error infrequently, where it doesn't recognize when a ball rolls down there, so I'm going to swap that switch as well. That'll be the last known issue and I'll be purchasing the mod too. Probably a great idea to get everything up and running without errors before you do the install. I think it looks great and look forward to playing the game as it was originally intended by the designer. Good luck!

#14 6 years ago

The mod is cool! The key is that for every ball into the planet, there must be one out! So I made a couple of small bends on the metal part of the "in" ramp to make sure that balls don't fall off onto the playfield before loading the planet. Cleaned the optos and adjusted the crane, and now it all works perfect!

#15 6 years ago

I've got another rare problem that bugs me and may effect the Deadworld mod, if I was to install it.

If two or three balls load into the "in" ramp feeding DW, sometime one will stick there because their isn't enough pitch on the "in" ramp. Something I'm going to have to bend and mod to get working right long-term.

And that damn Subway gets a ball sticking down there on the switch sometimes too, which I'll have to keep experimenting with the right bend on that too...

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The mod is cool! The key is that for every ball into the planet, there must be one out! So I made a couple of small bends on the metal part of the "in" ramp to make sure that balls don't fall off onto the playfield before loading the planet. Cleaned the optos and adjusted the crane, and now it all works perfect!

This is the number ONE reason why deadworld mod gives problems....usually because of the ball drop not being registered in the crane drop hoop on the left hand side. The Eos stuff is no tgoing to effect it. When this happens you get 2 balls in the shooter lane and multiball ending early etc...

#17 6 years ago

I need a new rom for my mod..the one I got with it does not work.I have emailed a few times and promised a replacement needless to say weeks later im still waiting. I hope to have it up and running by PAGG

Quoted from Pinballdad:

I just ordered the stainless steel crane mod off ebay. It has a couple LED's that light up too. I will let everyone know how that mod install goes but I think it will be super easy.
GL

I got the blue LED strip for the back.Go with red if you are getting that as well.I think it looks better now that I have the blue installed

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from dfsays:

If two or three balls load into the "in" ramp feeding DW, sometime one will stick there because their isn't enough pitch on the "in" ramp.

I just looked at mine and this is easy enough to fix. Bend down the ramp mounting bracket slightly at the planet inlet, or add pitch to the game.

#19 6 years ago

I was planning to get the LED strip to light up the back too and was planning on red since it seems to jive with more of the colors. The shooter lane lights are pretty cool too.

Thanks for the "in" ramp tip. I'll try the bend because I have the pitch set just how I like it

#20 6 years ago

Supergame rules!

#21 6 years ago

It's been great to be able to switch between Supergame and regulation now that the right shooter lane issue has been resolved. It's almost like having a new machine!

#22 6 years ago

Be careful making any bends that you don't break the precious plastic ramp.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Xscrapiron:

I need a new rom for my mod..the one I got with it does not work.I have emailed a few times and promised a replacement needless to say weeks later im still waiting. I hope to have it up and running by PAGG

My deadworld ROM chip was DOA as well. Just keep reminding them about it and they'll eventually send you a replacement. They were super busy and took a few months to send my replacement.

#24 6 years ago

I was planning to get the LED strip to light up the back too and was planning on red

I put one on mine. I used one from superbrightleds.com. :
http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/top-emitting/wfls-x-series-weatherproof-high-power-led-flexible-light-strip/1466/
With a controller the controller dim's and flashes: http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/dimmers/mld-5a-12-volt-dc-single-color-led-mini-dimmer/1082/2573/

Just hook it to the 12v test point with a alligator clip. I don't use it alot so don't think it will hurt. I could be wrong.

DSCN0533small.jpg

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from dfsays:

I was planning to get the LED strip to light up the back too and was planning on red since it seems to jive with more of the colors. The shooter lane lights are pretty cool too.
Thanks for the "in" ramp tip. I'll try the bend because I have the pitch set just how I like it

I just got all 3 LED light mods from Andy in the UK - back of playfield and under cabinet in blue; and shooter lanes in red. I will post pics on "My Dredd I am the Law" thread when in install them.

#26 6 years ago

Andy is great...I did the same, worth every penny, I however do like the crane mod for the JD that he sells.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside