(Topic ID: 35289)

JD Deadworld help (Ball rolling off of ring)

By madcow

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by madcow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I had a few other issues in a separate thread but figured this could it's own thread since I haven't been able to find out how to do this after a while of searching...

The ball rolls off of the ring instead of getting locked in. I found this on

Iobium.com: "If it rolls past the hole or under the metal guide, then the dead world may need to be raised."

But I'm not sure how to raise the deadworld...? Can't find how to do it in the manual, on pinside, or google.

Anyone know?

#2 11 years ago

What does the ring look like? A photo of the ring and area would help.

#3 11 years ago

Fixed this issue with bigger washers, but then the crane was slightly too low... so I started to adjust the planet and the crane and the planet gearbox broke (hopefully you can see in the video, most of the bottom part of the gearbox turns but the top doesn't...) It was sticking a while but something finally slipped/broke apparently. https://vimeo.com/56833719

I know this is a fairly common issue and that it will cost about $200 to send it in and have it repaired (Or I can do it myself like so: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-planet-gearbox-revealed-2) but I don't even know how to take the damn thing out/apart, let alone a fix like that. Argh. Going to take a deep breath, have a beer, and let it sit in the corner a while.

#4 11 years ago

That sucks. I guess they only positive thing I can say is this pin is under valued and spending the $200 while a kick in the teeth will eventually be made up in the rising price of the game. Good luck with the gear.

#5 11 years ago

Oh no! The deadworld is certainly a tricky piece of kit. Any one aspect out of whack won't make it work properly. The crane arms must be dead straight, deadworld ring positioned correctly, deadworld ring height tweaked (in your case), opto interrupter set correctly, crane at the right height and clamped onto it's arm at the right angle.

I've had to adjust everything but the ring height a number of times. It doesn't help that a previous owner soldered the crane clamp at an incorrect angle. The allen screw tightens onto a flat edge of the crane arm so the fact that this is at the wrong angle means the screw tightens kinda sideways onto this edge and eventually works it way out of alignment every so often.

#6 11 years ago

This is why I am leaning toward leaving my deadworld stock...

#7 11 years ago

Can anyone explain how to take the gearbox out? I'm likely going to have Rich Huff from Midwest pinball restoration work on it for me, and I think it will be cheaper if I can bring it to him rather than a house call but I'm not sure how to remove the damn thing...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Boards
PinSound

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jd-deadworld-help-ball-rolling-off-of-ring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.