CD cover (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Eh, why not.

Jazz is dead--long live jazz.

The usual questions:

What got you into jazz?
What's your favorite type?
Who are your favorite artists?
Listening to anything these days that we should check out?
Since you admit to liking jazz--you're a musician, right? What do you play?

These days it seems like Jazz--esp fusion--is becoming more popular, what with Snarky Puppy becoming popular and new artists like Jacob Collier winning two Grammys.

Probably got the taste for jazz early... from Mister Rogers, of all places. Johnny Costa's piano playing was amazing. Not a whole lot of musical influence from my family (was adopted).

So then jazz is something you have to seek out. One of my favorite vacations ever was going to the Sugar Bowl in 2009 and cruising in and out of the jazz clubs along Bourbon Street all night. Enjoyed it every bit as much as the football game--maybe even more.

Like many, bebop and bop-type styles are my favorite (the complexity/energy)... but can dig many different types from Dixieland to smooth (in the right doses).

Favorite type would have to be the usual piano trio stuff (pno/standup bass/drums), as I play a bit of piano.

Favorite pianists? Probably McCoy, Chick, Jarrett, Brad Mehldau ... and the usual suspects. Current pianists--Bill Laurance is good as is Cory Henry (more of an organist). Always on the lookout for new jazz all-stars.

Currently loaded up on Snarky Puppy and Knower for the fusion-type stuff. I assume most people have seen these... just throwing them here for interested parties:

A little while back discovered Max Ox... seems like a fantastic melding of electronica and jazz.

https://maxox.bandcamp.com/album/your-drunken-soundtrack

Interested in seeing if millenials will take up jazz non-ironically... would be just as cool to me to see a jazz "revival" of sorts just like we're seeing it in pinball.

#2 7 years ago

Straight jazz is too pure for me. I like the corrupted jazz-rock that is more commercial. In the old days this meant Tom Scott and the L.A. Express and The Crusaders (after they changed from The Jazz Crusaders and added Larry Carlton on guitar) and The Brecker Brothers. Then later it became Spyro Gyra and Fattburger and The Rippingtons and The Jeff Lorber Fusion. I have lots of favorite artists, but let's start with Tom Scott and David Sanborn and Jay Beckenstein on sax (in that order) with honorable mention to Candy Dulfer and Eric Marienthal. Miscellaneous instrument without question would have to be Jean-Luc Ponty on electric violin. While I appreciate powerful drummers like Billy Cobham (and others), my three favorites are Steve Gadd and Harvey Mason and the late John Guerin.

I'll save my favorite guitarists and bassists and keyboardists and percussionists for another time.

#3 7 years ago

I started a High School Jazz Band this year and have successfully introduced my students to Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Buddy Rich, etc.. They have had such a blast and played some great music this year.

#4 7 years ago

Personal favorite styles are Dixieland, Swing, Post Bop, and Latin. I love it all though.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Straight jazz is too pure for me. I like the corrupted jazz-rock that is more commercial. In the old days this meant Tom Scott and the L.A. Express and The Crusaders (after they changed from The Jazz Crusaders and added Larry Carlton on guitar) and The Brecker Brothers. Then later it became Spyro Gyra and Fattburger and The Rippingtons and The Jeff Lorber Fusion. I have lots of favorite artists, but let's start with Tom Scott and David Sanborn and Jay Beckenstein on sax (in that order) with honorable mention to Candy Dulfer and Eric Marienthal. Miscellaneous instrument without question would have to be Jean-Luc Ponty on electric violin. While I appreciate powerful drummers like Billy Cobham (and others), my three favorites are Steve Gadd and Harvey Mason and the late John Guerin.
I'll save my favorite guitarists and bassists and keyboardists and percussionists for another time.

A lot of great stuff for me to check out as my avenues of exploration--jazz fusion is more unfamiliar to me with the exception of stuff like weather report and some of what Frank Zappa did. Have heard some Jean-Luc Ponty, of course.

Quoted from Hougie:

I started a High School Jazz Band this year and have successfully introduced my students to Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Buddy Rich, etc.. They have had such a blast and played some great music this year.

That's fantastic! Always great to read about younger people embracing jazz--it's why we have Snarky Puppy and Jake Collier.

#6 7 years ago

My favorite jazz-rock fusion CD is GARY'S SONGS. Most of the fusion musicians started out as jazz musicians but also played studio sessions backing up pop singers like Linda Ronstadt. Seeing the pop singers' albums outsell their own 100 to 1 influenced them to mix jazz with rock and make their own music more accessible. But Gary came to jazz-rock fusion from the other side after playing rock and roll cover songs in bands in high school and college, so his songs may sound a bit more pop than jazz.
CD cover (resized).jpgCD cover (resized).jpgsongs list (resized).jpgsongs list (resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

For me, (as a saxophonist) I've always enjoyed "Bossa Nova" Stan Getz jazz. I'm also a big fan of Big Band's.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

My favorite jazz-rock fusion CD is GARY'S SONGS. Most of the fusion musicians started out as jazz musicians but also played studio sessions backing up pop singers like Linda Ronstadt. Seeing the pop singers' albums outsell their own 100 to 1 influenced them to mix jazz with rock and make their own music more accessible. But Gary came to jazz-rock fusion from the other side after playing rock and roll cover songs in bands in high school and college, so his songs may sound a bit more pop than jazz.

For some reason I always thought that fusion was just an excuse for lead guitarists to play some jazz and noodle (or, like Billy Corgan said once, do "3/4 ja_k-off soloing"). So I never really got into it when opportunities arose, because self-indulgent musicians making esoteric stabs at stuff seemed boring But Snarky Puppy has really changed my mind about fusion, and has opened a lot of doors for my interest in it.

Quoted from Orko:

For me, (as a saxophonist) I've always enjoyed "Bossa Nova" Stan Getz jazz. I'm also a big fan of Big Band's.

Also enjoy some Stan Getz... "anything on the Verve label," right?

Lately I've had the piano groove from the beginning of this dude's tutorial running through my head. Just a simple little ditty, but it's getting me interested in playing more lately

#9 6 years ago

I got into jazz because my dad is a sax player and was always playing jazz. My parent's city has a community jazz band that he still plays with. He jokes that he's the least talented guy in the group. It includes a bunch of former Cleveland Jazz Orchestra guys and others who teach at Interlochen, etc. The town is pretty spoiled to have such a great group.

I've played trumpet for most of my life, although I've taken up guitar lately. I played in jazz bands through college but not much since then. Being a lead trumpet player my favorite jazz musician is Maynard Ferguson . I was lucky enough to see him live twice. I generally like all eras and genres except for smooth jazz. Other than Maynard, I listen to Chet Baker, Clark Terry, Parker, Miles Davis, and Duke Ellington regularly.

As far as new stuff (other than Snarky Puppy) a co-worker of mine told me about an NYC subway trio called Too Many Zooz that's pretty good. Ignore their first release (Fanimals) and listen to Subway Gawdz.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jazz-music-fan-club-stay-cool-daddio?hl=nintenbear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.