IMG_8681 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8680 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8679 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8678 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8677 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1398 (resized).jpeg
E71D6CAC-7CBC-4A2B-AFA9-11F04AF524F1 (resized).jpeg
d354ee01f6a8c82518ef72bfed9a1cab (resized).jpg
There are 359 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.
#201 4 months ago

Please put me on the list for a Jaws LE

#202 4 months ago
jawsballs.gifjawsballs.gif
#203 3 months ago

Put me down for a Premium version

#204 3 months ago

This will be the only version of Jaws that will eat the ball 7:58.

#206 3 months ago

Stay tuned, Should be getting the machine in the next week or so.

Quoted from JustEverett:

ETA on that prototype?

#207 3 months ago

Can you do a topper where Elwin, Gary and Disney-Boy swallows a ball, and then a big Jaws swallows them?

I think it'd go really well with the shark mod, and send Stern a needed message.

#208 3 months ago

Put me down for a prem/LE please. Thanks!

#209 3 months ago
Quoted from InteractivePinball:

Stay tuned, Should be getting the machine in the next week or so.

Can't wait too see it

#210 3 months ago

Put me on the Premium list please!

#211 3 months ago

interested in LE one

#212 3 months ago

#ETB4LIFE

#213 3 months ago

now that the manual is out you can see the right ramp pokes behind the back wall. seems like a good location for the subway to get back up to the playfield.

Clipboard_20240201 (2) (resized).pngClipboard_20240201 (2) (resized).png
#214 3 months ago

Dun Dun

Quoted from Mutt:

now that the manual is out you can see the right ramp pokes behind the back wall. seems like a good location for the subway to get back up to the playfield.[quoted image]

#215 3 months ago

looks like 4 screws & you can pull the shark & the box that's at the back of it. it appears that there's nothing behind the shark. all mechanicals are under the playfield in front of the playfield opening. seems to me you could pull that shark / box & replace it w/ a new shark w/ a short ramp heading out the back of it. that whole ramp would move w/ the shark & rotate down into the cabinet. i know this isn't a 100% done deal but we have a path to get the ball under the playfield & a clear shot to the rear of the playfield. this doesn't seem as impossible as some people made out.

Clipboard_20240201 (3) (resized).pngClipboard_20240201 (3) (resized).png

#216 3 months ago

The shark really is going to eat that daggum ball, isn't he?

#217 3 months ago

The shark will eat the ball! You’re right, It’s not impossible. I’ve been working on the preliminary layout/mechs and the shark head since posting on this thread, even used some PTO to really iron things out. I’m really excited to get the machine and release a prototype video! My wife is also very excited for me to get this done haha.

Quoted from Mutt:

looks like 4 screws & you can pull the shark & the box that's at the back of it. it appears that there's nothing behind the shark. all mechanicals are under the playfield in front of the playfield opening. seems to me you could pull that shark / box & replace it w/ a new shark w/ a short ramp heading out the back of it. that whole ramp would move w/ the shark & rotate down into the cabinet. i know this isn't a 100% done deal but we have a path to get the ball under the playfield & a clear shot to the rear of the playfield. this doesn't seem as impossible as some people made out.
[quoted image]

Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

The shark really is going to eat that daggum ball, isn't he?

#218 3 months ago
Quoted from Mutt:

[quoted image]

Like Stumblor on his mod broadcast. Pretty tasteless if you ask me...I wish InteractivePinball the best in this endeavor!

#219 3 months ago
Quoted from Animal:

Like Stumblor on his mod broadcast. Pretty tasteless if you ask me...I wish InteractivePinball the best in this endeavor!

I think its fair to be skeptical since this is has already been a lot of work and will continue to be, but I really appreciate the support!

#220 3 months ago
Quoted from Animal:

As do I. But I'm still skeptical.

Doesnt stop it being the most interesting mod development that I can remember. Rip it up InteractivePinball

#221 3 months ago

For 13k we shouldn't even be talking about this. Getting really tired of Stern's greed. Wishing you the best for this mod! Add me to the LE list please.

#222 3 months ago
Quoted from HectorCM:

For 13k we shouldn't even be talking about this. Getting really tired of Stern's greed.

Not too tired it seems:

Quoted from HectorCM:

Add me to the LE list please.

You can't make this shit up.

#223 3 months ago

Quoted from yancy:Not too tired it seems:

LMFAO!

#224 3 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

Not too tired it seems:

Oh yes you can

#225 3 months ago
Quoted from stumblor:

As do I. But I'm still skeptical.
Doesnt stop it being the most interesting mod development that I can remember. Rip it up @InteractivePinball

Cool, you are certainly entitled to your opinion and I respect the mods that you have produced. With some thought, I'm not even sure if I will buy and install because it will change gameplay. ...and as we all know there are many who want the shark to eat the ball, so I'm wishing him positivity and luck. It seems he plans to leverage the right habitrail behind the back of the play field...very ambitious stuff and potentially doable, but I'm no professional modder...

#226 3 months ago

I’m interested for LE

#227 3 months ago
Quoted from Mutt:

[quoted image]

I didn't think much of a ball flowing through a tunnel, but I like the ambitiousness of these ideas furthering the possibilities! It's exactly why I developed my DMCS control board: to do more complex behavior and control mechs integrated with gameplay. It enabled me to make mods like the building diverter for Godzilla pro and the save post for Foo Fighters pro. As well as simulating their premium counter parts, they can also integrate in more complex ways with more sophisticated behavior. Based on some of the implementation ideas being thrown around, it sounds like there may be similar requirements. Since I have experience in that area, I may be able to offer assistance if needed.

#228 3 months ago

Please set me on the list for a Pro thanks

#229 3 months ago

It would be awesome (maybe not likely though) if the mod was a success that there could be an official code update from the team to incorporate it. Make it an optional setting in the code.

#230 3 months ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

It would be awesome (maybe not likely though) if the mod was a success that there could be an official code update from the team to incorporate it. Make it an optional setting in the code.

Just imagine that!!! Or Elwin saying "I like it and it works for gameplay."

#231 3 months ago

I think the idea of this “mod” is better than the actual reality of it.
It’s a serious alter to the gameplay.
You will essentially be able to just shoot and plop the sharks mouth at will on a pro, which I can see getting very stale and not so satisfying,
while removing the kinetic shot of a captive ball and its targets.
While I applaud the effort to the OP for trying to make this a go, JP did a ball swallow 30 years ago. I’d personally rather enjoy the game for how they designed it.

I’m out.

#232 3 months ago

The hubris of the dreamers in this thread who think someone is going to come up with something that Elwin and the entirety of the stern team couldn’t come up with is laughable. Elwin said they experimented with a ball eating shark and ultimately the mech wasn’t fun, so they ditched it.

#233 3 months ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

The hubris of the dreamers in this thread who think someone is going to come up with something that Elwin and the entirety of the stern team couldn’t come up with is laughable. Elwin said they experimented with a ball eating shark and ultimately the mech wasn’t fun, so they ditched it.

It's equally naive to think they ditched a ball-eating shark because it's not fun. More likely their mech didn't work out quite how they envisioned and they have business decisions to make and schedules to keep: they can't endlessly iterate or re-design a new mech. Fortunately, mod-makers aren't constrained that way.

Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

That's quite a crystal ball you're using! Seems this mod hasn't been realized yet, so your prognostication might be a little premature.

I'm enthusiastic about the ideas and the potential, so curious to see what might be possible. Not a fan of a ball traveling through a tunnel, but some more interesting ideas are developing.

#234 3 months ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

It's equally naive to think they ditched a ball-eating shark because it's not fun. More likely their mech didn't work out quite how they envisioned and they have business decisions to make and schedules to keep: they can't endlessly iterate or re-design a new mech. Fortunately, mod-makers aren't constrained that way.

That's quite a crystal ball you're using! Seems this mod hasn't been realized yet, so your prognostication might be a little premature.
I'm enthusiastic about the ideas and the potential, so curious to see what might be possible. Not a fan of a ball traveling through a tunnel, but some more interesting ideas are developing.

I actually played the pro yesterday & it was better than I had thought. IMO I don't really feel that the whole ETB thing is really going to have any value add. I think you & everyone else on this thread has a loooong wait before something is engineered that comes close to meeting everyones expectations to ETB. By that time IF something is developed the majority of most folks will have already moved on.

#235 3 months ago
Quoted from acedanger:

I actually played the pro yesterday & it was better than I had thought. IMO I don't really feel that the whole ETB thing is really going to have any value add. I think you & everyone else on this thread has a loooong wait before something is engineered that comes close to meeting everyones expectations to ETB.

I haven't played one yet, and have no plans to get one. I'm really just a curious and amused bystander.

Quoted from acedanger:

By that time IF something is developed the majority of most folks will have already moved on.

Oh good, you have a crystal ball too! LOL...

You might be curious to know that mods are sometimes made 20 or 30 years after a game comes out and can still be popular. I don't think there's any statute of limitations on them. Sometimes they can even breath some new life or novelty into a game.

#236 3 months ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

It's equally naive to think they ditched a ball-eating shark because it's not fun.

Simply quoting the designer of the game and arguably one of the greatest pinball designers in history. But yeah, I’m sure one person on pinside will know more.

#237 3 months ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Simply quoting the designer of the game and arguably one of the greatest pinball designers in history. But yeah, I’m sure one person on pinside will know more.

Oh right, so they have no vested interest to not say they couldn't invest more time in it to make it work better / more fun. Like I said, NAIVE...

#238 3 months ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

It’s a serious alter to the gameplay.
You will essentially be able to just shoot and plop the sharks mouth at will on a pro, which I can see getting very stale and not so satisfying,
while removing the kinetic shot of a captive ball and its targets.
While I applaud the effort to the OP for trying to make this a go, JP did a ball swallow 30 years ago. I’d personally rather enjoy the game for how they designed it.
I’m out.

This proposed mod isn't for you. It's for people who value seeing a plastic shark ETB over playing pinball.

#239 3 months ago

Jaws Pro: The ball eating shark. Video thrashing soon!

I went all out on this one and am excited for the reveal video next week. The mechanics are all dialled in and I'm currently finalizing cosmetics. Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube and follow me on Facebook for the video drop. Prem/LE owners stay tuned as well, exciting things are coming!

https://www.interactivepinball.com/
https://www.youtube.com/InteractivePinball
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100085845813773

INITIAL PROMO (resized).jpgINITIAL PROMO (resized).jpg
#240 3 months ago

This is the most amazing thing that has happened in the history of mankind.

Potentially.

Don't let us down you crazy bastard!

#241 3 months ago
Quoted from InteractivePinball:

Jaws Pro: The ball eating shark. Video thrashing soon!
I went all out on this one and am excited for the reveal video next week. The mechanics are all dialled in and I'm currently finalizing cosmetics. Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube and follow me on Facebook for the video drop. Prem/LE owners stay tuned as well, exciting things are coming!
https://www.interactivepinball.com/
https://www.youtube.com/InteractivePinball
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100085845813773
[quoted image]

We briefly touched on this imminent announcement in this weeks In Before the Lock. Hoping we'll have some footage by next episode InteractivePinball !

#242 3 months ago

Heard somewhere that Keith expanded on the reasoning. Apparently shark popping up from under playfield on prem/Le was required by licensor.

So you have to combine that with eating ball. The only way to do that robustly, according to him, would make it as slow as the GZ building. I don't buy that at all though.

The existing solution they have could have popped up just as quickly, had a hole for the ball, and been completely detached from the subway right below it that fed to some sort of vuk. The part that needs to be quick is the shark, not the ball return.

#243 3 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Heard somewhere that Keith expanded on the reasoning. Apparently shark popping up from under playfield on prem/Le was required by licensor.
So you have to combine that with eating ball. The only way to do that robustly, according to him, would make it as slow as the GZ building. I don't buy that at all though.
The existing solution they have could have popped up just as quickly, had a hole for the ball, and been completely detached from the subway right below it that fed to some sort of vuk. The part that needs to be quick is the shark, not the ball return.

Since you have it all figured out whip us up a working model and show the pinball industry how it's done. I'm sure the licensor would approve it right away and it wouldn't have any reliability issues after thousands of plays on location either.

#244 3 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Exactly. It just doesn't add up.

Which raises the question, what is Elwin hiding? What doesn't he want us to find out?

I want to know the truth. But I'm also scared of what it might be.

#245 3 months ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Exactly. It just doesn't add up.
Which raises the question, what is Elwin hiding? What doesn't he want us to find out?
I want to know the truth. But I'm also scared of what it might be.

He is clearly in cahoots with Mayor Vaughn, denying the possibility of shark feedings, trying to preserve the bottom line over the people. Despicable if you ask me. All for some new designer suits.

PROOF (resized).pngPROOF (resized).png
#246 3 months ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Funny, it's incredibly easy to come up with ideas. It's not that much harder to come up with reliable mechanics.

What Stern has to deal with in the real manufacturing world is how much effort and expense and how long it will take to do.

I see no problem with a fan community, with unlimited time and budget, producing something arguably better, and more innovative than what can be done with tight time constraints, supply chain considerations, and budget concerns.

That's not a reflection on the designers. I admire designers MORE because they work within limitations, and produce amazing art.

I'd point to the Dr Who mini playfield mod as an example of 'better than the factory did' mechanics and reliability.

#247 3 months ago

The thing is, nobody is going to care if it’s “fun” or not. As long as the shark ETB in any manner, people will be happy. It could take five minutes and have the elegance of a drunk 3-legged basset hound.

Never In history has a pinball company so spectacularly failed to understand the expectations of its customer base.

Now it’s up to the modders to right this injustice !

#248 3 months ago

just think, if they had a ball eating shark Stern could have added a tamagotchi like mini-game. Feed the shark daily, or it DIES. Finally innovation in pinball

#249 3 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

just think, if they had a ball eating shark Stern could have added a tamagotchi like mini-game. Feed the shark daily, or it DIES. Finally innovation in pinball

We all know if a shark doesn’t move it dies.

So really the shark needs to ETB while also being in a constant state of lateral motion.

#250 3 months ago

Also Elwin explained that the Fin Mech takes up a lot of real estate underneath the PF, which was also a limiter and major consideration in fitting other Mechs, locations and general layout.

Danger mentioned in one of his recent twitch streams, that anyone can make a one off game or Mech etc. the real art is making a pin and Mech that can be manufactured in the thousands and perform reliably/consistently. To design within the limits set out by manufacturing volumes and process as well as limits put forth by the licensor.

Just my 2 cents.

There are 359 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jaws-the-ball-eater/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.