(Topic ID: 286571)

JAWS Pinball, is there enough meat on the bone?

By Pinstein

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by arcademojo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 3 years ago

I would love a Jaws pinball as much as many of you, but I have wondered lately if there is really enough content, or meat on the bone, in the movie to make a good pinball machine. I mean it can really only include the first film as the rest were terrible, and I cannot think of many scenes except the ending that would make a good pinball mode. If stern remade a Flash Gordon pinball I can think of plenty of great looking and fun scenes from that movie that would make great pinball modes, but Jaws not really so much. I think if they did make a Jaws pinball that it would have to have the classic Jaws music but beyond that it should more go the way of the new Jurassic Park game and have its own story line written. Maybe Im wrong, so please chime in and explain which Jaws movie scenes would make great pinball modes.

#2 3 years ago

Doubt they could license the movie.

Probably be a Jaws world like Jurassic Park.

#4 3 years ago

I appreciate your input as always Law. Keep being you.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Doubt they could license the movie.
    Probably be a Jaws world like Jurassic Park.

As Law said, there has already been a LOT of talk about this. And Stern has fed the rumors by using JAWS as a code word for JP as well as putting a shark on some of their swag lately and posting a pic of one of their employees (can't remember who) wearing a JAWS hat or shirt while working on one of their machines. I think they probably have the license and as Gomez once said, they don't acquire a license unless they intend to use it. So, it could be coming. I hope it is, but none of us outsiders know for sure.

As far as scenes that would translate well to pinball...I think there's a lot they could do with the numerous suspense scenes. They could have an underwater area like Grampa's lab in Munsters where Hopper dives a wreck and finds Ben Gardner's head, etc. Also, there could be a "subway" area to the playfield where the shark is swimming, its fin above the surface and you have to hit it with the ball. An upper playfield could be Quint's boat like in JPP POTC. They could do stuff with the floating barrels (more targets). Hell, they could even do some funny stuff like "swimming with bow-legged women". I'm just throwing ideas out off the top of my head, and I'm no designer. The point is that the theme has enough cool elements that a creative designer could really run with. And they don't have to stick to the script, so to speak. Many movie pins stray from the onscreen story, using the theme for inspiration. They've made so many interesting games out of weird or stupid themes, I'm sure they could make something great from JAWS.

#6 3 years ago

Your making my point. Great movies don't necessarily make a great pinball machine.

#7 3 years ago

If it is made I think it would be based loosely on the film and more like JP where u have objectives secondary to that of the timeline, and I'm fine with that. Still much better than what were normally get.

#8 3 years ago

I hope they skip Jaws.
    Tata-tata-tata-tata....... Tuuutututu.
    Great music for 5 minutes.
    That's all there is.
    One of the greatest movies, but not for a pin.
    The lead players have to drive the pin, and Jaws now and then pops up.
    No movie cast (to expensive or don't want to licence themselve), no pin.

#9 3 years ago

I think JJP could do it well. Make it a widebody, and maybe another rocking boat upper playfield, but different style than the Pirates one.

If Stern ever does it I bet they will have a shark in it that is used like the snake in Metallica. Which is fine also.

It would be cool I think for everything except the playfield to look beach scene, even the art blades, while the playfield is all ocean, shark, boats, etc.

For music, maybe popular beach music, with the da-dum music just kicking in a little during different parts of the game.

And I had never thought about it, but a under playfield could get very creative with this also.

It could be awesome, as long as the da-dum music stays very limited.

1 year later
    #10 2 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #11 2 years ago

I still say that will be Gomez’s next game and will be released this year..

#12 2 years ago

They've had that license for a while, I think. I heard a few years ago that they could only use the shark and the John Williams theme. So it would probably be a JP-type display with no movie footage, and that's just fine with me because I love JP.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

They've had that license for a while, I think. I heard a few years ago that they could only use the shark and the John Williams theme. So it would probably be a JP-type display with no movie footage, and that's just fine with me because I love JP.

I would love to have movie footage included. But I'm also ok with just the shark and the theme music plus JP style display. It's a win, win situation either way.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jaws-pinball-is-there-enough-meat-on-the-bone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.