Topic poll

“Which model are you in on?”

• Pro 81 votes
    22%
  • Premium 142 votes
    39%
  • LE 139 votes
    38%

(Multiple choice - 362 votes by 353 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3078 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
FB_IMG_1720962430287 (resized).jpg
IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg
20240713_122147 (resized).jpg
IMG_8460 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8441 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8458 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2456 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7776 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4584.gif
IMG_4583.gif
3.  (resized).JPG
1.  (resized).JPG
giphy.gif
IMG_9419 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,785 posts in this topic. You are on page 99 of 116.
#4901 33 days ago

I think this pinsider’s (TPRO333) topper looks better than stern’s. May have to give him a DM.

IMG_7569 (resized).jpegIMG_7569 (resized).jpeg
#4902 33 days ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

stern in the topper isn't worth the money shocker

Apparently a lot people here are new to pinball LOL

Quoted from Laserbeak21:

I think this pinsider’s (TPRO333) topper looks better than stern’s. May have to give him a DM. [quoted image]

That is pretty sweet!

#4903 33 days ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

Same here. I've had most Spike 2 LEs, not any more. Get the pre, white powder coat the Stern armor for 300. Or just buy lollipop side rails and powder coat them.
I love Stern games, but they have give LE owners every reason not to buy LEs.

I get that on most recent LE’s but Jaws LE just looked so good, the mirrored backglass and the reflective cabinet art are a major plus.

#4904 33 days ago
Quoted from Laserbeak21:

I think this pinsider’s (TPRO333) topper looks better than stern’s. May have to give him a DM. [quoted image]

I agree it looks great, but it’s going to be very difficult to get the programmed light show like OEM toppers. Just like the GZ topper, people scoffed at that topper, but it looks awesome when it lights up during gameplay.

#4905 33 days ago

Talk about mailing it in. . . This is the most underwhelming topper Stern has ever made. I pre-ordered it so I'm stuck with it, I guess. The quality and value of Stern's products continue to fall while the prices and Stern's overhead have increased significantly. If this keeps up, a lot of Pinsider dreams will come true - Stern will go out of business and the value of Stern games on the secondary market will increase due to limited supply.

#4906 33 days ago
Quoted from Pinball-Cruiser:

I agree it looks great, but it’s going to be very difficult to get the programmed light show like OEM toppers. Just like the GZ topper, people scoffed at that topper, but it looks awesome when it lights up during gameplay.

I agree, the Godzilla topper does look cool during gameplay. But it actually has Godzilla doing something on the topper. This jaws topper has no shark, no orca boat and not anything remotely exciting except a billboard. I don’t think the billboard lighting up during different modes of the game is going to have the same impact as the Godzilla topper.

#4907 33 days ago

I wouldn’t mind if a topper was reasonably pricey if I thought it had some effort put into it, but this jaws topper looks bad in my opinion. I think if you put it on any of the tiers (pro/premium/limited) it may actually detract from the overall look of the pin. I’m a big jaws fan and this is a weak effort imo.

#4908 33 days ago
Quoted from TooMetal:

Talk about mailing it in. . . This is the most underwhelming topper Stern has ever made.

I mean JP is pretty freaking underwhelming imo (and I bought that).

#4909 33 days ago

Pinside: “I want you to find whoever made that topper and string ‘em up by their Buster Browns!”

#4910 33 days ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Pinside: “I want you to find whoever made that topper and string ‘em up by their Buster Browns!”

Maybe if they put a plastic of the mayor in front of the billboard on the topper, then I’d buy it for a grand.

#4911 33 days ago

Toppers are a funny thing, unnecessary, but fun - I usually make my own. ...and when I do, my question is, how can a topper best represent a theme?
For my Star Trek topper I had a USS Enterprise, for TZ I had a miniature "floor model" TV playing TZ episodes that influenced the game artwork.
For Rush, it's a concert scene as they built their fan base through live performances. ...and the drum platform rotates with a Neil Peart replica drumset.

For LOTR, it was the Crack of Doom!!!! The moment the ring finally gets thrown back into the fires if Mount Doom!!

Ok, Im nerding out here, but you get the point... So, For Jaws, I mean come on!!! ...it had to be the shark, the boat or both...I mean...they kinda mailed that one in. Doesn't look bad...but not iconic.

IMG_0213 (resized).JPGIMG_0213 (resized).JPG20221128_214822 (resized).jpg20221128_214822 (resized).jpgIMG_4714 (resized).JPGIMG_4714 (resized).JPG
#4913 33 days ago

Typical pinside.
Complain about the design. Check
Complain about price. Check
Call people idiots for buying it. Check
Claim that home-made or 3rd party items are better. Check

I don't give a flying fuck if anyone thinks I am an idiot. It's my money. I like the topper. I purchased one.

#4914 33 days ago

My upgraded Scooby topper has an LCD screen with custom video, RGB LED’s, and a moving bookcase for $999. This is a joke and the lenticular sign looks like crap.

BKSOR topper was $499 I believe or less when it first came out. EHOH topper was and is $999 and that blows this plastic mess away. Really sad.

#4915 33 days ago
Quoted from tgarrett09:

I mean JP is pretty freaking underwhelming imo (and I bought that).

Agree, but at least it offers a special topper mode. Same for AIQ. I guess DP might be nearly as underwhelming.

My feelings about pinball in general have been trending downward for the past several months.

#4916 33 days ago

Does the speaker light kit come with new speakers or it's just the lights for 200$?

#4917 33 days ago

Topper looks pretty cool. We have toppers on most of our other games, so we are in for one! There has been no mention from Stern if the topper unlocks an extra mode so I am thinking it does not.

To all the people who think they can build one the same for $150. The node board running the topper would cost more than that. The flat plastic is printed, the inks cost a fortune. I am sure there are licensing fees, peoples time, box, packaging etc, etc.

#4918 33 days ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Topper looks pretty cool. We have toppers on most of our other games, so we are in for one! There has been no mention from Stern if the topper unlocks an extra mode so I am thinking it does not.
To all the people who think they can build one the same for $150. The node board running the topper would cost more than that. The flat plastic is printed, the inks cost a fortune. I am sure there are licensing fees, peoples time, box, packaging etc, etc.

You talking us or yourself into it?

I’m not seeing a grand there. Stern’s shit has gotta stop.

#4919 33 days ago

This really feels like a sales tactic…

Step 1: release an underwhelming topper for $1k

Step2: owners finally revolt to overpriced toppers and keep their money safe (“take that stern!)

Step 3: sales for the game continue to rise because it’s Elwin

Step 4: release a bad ass topper for 3 times the price

Step 5: watch outrage ensue while owners simultaneously write $3k checks because they have to have it and don’t want the alternative.

Step 6: document a new price point for toppers.

#4920 33 days ago
Quoted from Laserbeak21:

Maybe if they put a plastic of the mayor in front of the billboard on the topper, then I’d buy it for a grand.

Thats $1250

#4921 33 days ago

My $150 topper isn't the same - it's better.

IMG_4495 (resized).jpegIMG_4495 (resized).jpeg
#4922 33 days ago
Quoted from underlord:

You talking us or yourself into it?
I’m not seeing a grand there. Stern’s shit has gotta stop.

I am enjoying the hobby while I can and while it is still here.

A set of tyres for a race car cost more than $1K and we can completely destroy them in less than a few hours. We can also go to a nice restaurant with a nice bottle of champagne and spend $1K too. All depends on how you choose to look at things and how you perceive value.

#4923 33 days ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

My $150 topper isn't the same - it's better.[quoted image]

As long as you love it, that is all that matters!

#4924 33 days ago
Quoted from Laserbeak21:

Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. The thing aboutmy topper although its hard to see is that there is also an interior with table and benches and even coasters along with other interior details. Even though you cant really see them, they are there. I tried to put as much into this as I could and they take a ton of work. Thats why I'm only making 5 of them that are numbered. (1 has been claimed.. its the one in the pic) but there will only be 4 others made.
jaws topper (resized).pngjaws topper (resized).png

JAWS TOPPER PIC 4 (resized).jpgJAWS TOPPER PIC 4 (resized).jpg
#4925 33 days ago
Quoted from king_pin:

Does the speaker light kit come with new speakers or it's just the lights for 200$?

Anyone got an answer on this? I'm wandering the same thing.

#4926 33 days ago

So what would you say the build of materials is for this topper?

#4927 33 days ago
Quoted from king_pin:

Not a chance. It’s Stern people.

#4928 33 days ago
Quoted from TooMetal:

Agree, but at least it offers a special topper mode. Same for AIQ. I guess DP might be nearly as underwhelming.
My feelings about pinball in general have been trending downward for the past several months.

My excitement and feelings are definitely been downward. Just too much damn money and getting less and less from Stern. JJP price point is definitely out of my comfort level especially with the huge hit on resale value.

I don’t mind a grand hit but $3 to $5k is just stupid to take on buying NIB. Love or hate spooky, but for what they give you in a CE it’s a great value. Too bad PB has shown no glimmer of hope other than Alien Ripley Edtion.

#4929 33 days ago

Who is in charge of stern marketing? The Godzilla topper got like 20 seconds in the GZ accessory video. Flip n out I think did a longer video that showed off the GZ topper which made it look much better. I wound up getting one and it is better in person then sterns videos have ever shown.

Just like the Godzilla topper, it's really hard to form any kind of impression from the 20 second clip for the Jaws topper

One could argue all day on whether these toppers are so called worth it or not, but come on stern, how hard is it to make a 2 minute topper dedicated video to give us the full picture.

#4930 33 days ago

I think the the Jaws topper is a great starting point, and I’ve ordered one with the intention to mod it in a few ways.

#4931 33 days ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

So what would you say the build of materials is for this topper?

I am not sure as I have no idea what Stern build, design and development costs are. One thing I can assure you is that peoples time costs money. Why does it matter to some and not others?

#4932 33 days ago
Quoted from TPRO333:

Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. The thing aboutmy topper although its hard to see is that there is also an interior with table and benches and even coasters along with other interior details. Even though you cant really see them, they are there. I tried to put as much into this as I could and they take a ton of work. Thats why I'm only making 5 of them that are numbered. (1 has been claimed.. its the one in the pic) but there will only be 4 others made.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Really nice man. Looks way better than what stern dropped.

#4933 33 days ago

I'm buying one. This is the fastest topper release I can remember. I would rather have it now $$$ than have it come available cheap 18 months from now when I'm selling the game or already sold it. Yep these toppers are over priced. It looks cool and I already shelled out too much cash for a freakin NIB Jaws LE! This is why I worked hard in my day job and drove old cars for the last 35+ years - to be able to say eff it once in a while at this point in my life. At least I passed on the Foo topper. Its a fantastic game, but $2K was a little too much for me to say eff it.

#4934 33 days ago

Stern new Jaws topper has to be the worst thing I've ever seen for $1000.00. That topper looks like something you'd find on etsy for 299.00.

WOW THIS IS HORRIBLE!

Stern built up their brand only to destroy it over 12 months. Bad themes, over priced games, now we have ridiculous toppers for 1000 dollars.

I hate to say this but THEME is the KING for these prices... based on what JJP has coming out, Barrels of Fun I hear has Goonies, JJP Harry Potter, and Back to the Future STERN IS IN DEEP TROUBLE!

They really missed the boat here, they could have said $399.00 for this topper you know the price of an XBOX or PLAYSTATION but no $1000.

When are the layoffs starting at Stern?

#4935 33 days ago
Quoted from John_I:

I'm buying one. This is the fastest topper release I can remember. I would rather have it now $$$ than have it come available cheap 18 months from now when I'm selling the game or already sold it. Yep these toppers are over priced. It looks cool and I already shelled out too much cash for a freakin NIB Jaws LE! This is why I worked hard in my day job and drove old cars for the last 35+ years - to be able to say eff it once in a while at this point in my life. At least I passed on the Foo topper. Its a fantastic game, but $2K was a little too much for me to say eff it.

Hear, hear!

#4936 33 days ago
Quoted from John_I:

That said, you still have a limit...others limits may not be so high. For me, I forwent toppers for a whole game. Not just a few light shows or a wiggle or 2 and maybe a new mode. But a whole machine!

#4937 33 days ago

I think it looks good. Price is too high. Surprise.

Still getting one.

#4938 33 days ago

Everyone who has been so smart over the years with cash are (comically, I might add) now pumping their fists with cash clutched ready to buy a flat plastic, led flashing marvel for 2x a PlayStation 5 because, GD it, they want it!! Good for the ones throwing money at a company that obviously overcharges and further encouraging the garbage. At least you are happy, right?

Oh, and “asac schrader”, give us one Stern item you don’t think is worth it or you don’t like. Just one. Let’s hear it. Was it the $20K bond? Or?

#4939 33 days ago
Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

Typical pinside.
Complain about the design. Check
Complain about price. Check
Call people idiots for buying it. Check
Claim that home-made or 3rd party items are better. Check
I don't give a flying fuck if anyone thinks I am an idiot. It's my money. I like the topper. I purchased one.

Let’s not forget the Cary Hardy outrage video because, apparently, rage sells over insight and comedy.

The hand wringing over toppers is about the damned stupidest manchild bullshit ive seen in the hobby. Too bad because we are living in the greatest pinball era ever and some folks are committed to not enjoying it.

#4940 33 days ago

Do the expression lights add much to gameplay?

Can't seem to find videos on youtube that show them working?

Seems like these are the best accessories though.

#4941 33 days ago

Are any of the aftermarket speaker light kits for Jaws better than the Stern ones or can connect with the expression lighting?

#4942 33 days ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Do the expression lights add much to gameplay?
Can't seem to find videos on youtube that show them working?
Seems like these are the best accessories though.

Not really.. They just look good. They do add a bit when you look up at the screen..

#4943 33 days ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Everyone who has been so smart over the years with cash are (comically, I might add) now pumping their fists with cash clutched ready to buy a flat plastic, led flashing marvel for 2x a PlayStation 5 because, GD it, they want it!! Good for the ones throwing money at a company that obviously overcharges and further encouraging the garbage. At least you are happy, right?
Oh, and “asac schrader”, give us one Stern item you don’t think is worth it or you don’t like. Just one. Let’s hear it. Was it the $20K bond? Or?

I wore the same pair of underwear for 20 years just so I could buy a Stern Topper now... and boy, was it worth the chafing! No way I'm missing out now buddy. Now I can look at a $1,000 on a few printed piece of plastics with incredible LED's that flash in sequence, it's awe inspiring and makes me want to wear new underwear every day now and of course, buy this topper.

Let's not forget that printing on plastics is a highly specialized process! Spare playfield plastics kits are far underpriced from the looks of it, so just be lucky we can get them for the prices we can. I'm thinking of replacing my art sculptures around my house, like the wolf and dolphins carved in stone that I paid $199 for and replacing them with a fine flat plastic depicting the sculptures. Because I can. I'm rich pal.

But to be fair, I occasionally (and deliberately) spend $100 on movie theater popcorn, buy $50 imported spring water, and get $15 starbucks every day now. I usually announce to everyone when I'm doing so that had they saved up, they could have too. They know how smart I was.. they can't appreciate a $50 bottle of spring water like I can. I also subscribe to every premium streaming service and have full cable at home, no way I'm missing out!

All kidding aside, I'm glad that Jaws is at least a great game and that I'm not a "topper person". To each his own..

#4944 33 days ago

Does this pic indicate a 2nd topper option???

20240605_072014 (resized).jpg20240605_072014 (resized).jpg
#4945 33 days ago

No topper for me. Prefer all my games topless. And I wouldn't be very upset if certain guests were too when playing pinball.

#4946 33 days ago

I don't have toppers as the headroom in my gameroom is not high enough. Not too wild about toppers anyhow. But certain ones are pretty neat. Factory prices for toppers are pretty crazy ! The billboard one for Jaws does not trip my trigger. Maybe the other one will be better. Don't know. But a grand for the billboard topper is absurd to me. But if you want one go ahead and get one. But don't wear old underware for years on end to save up for one. Maybe take over your kids or a neighbors kids lemon aid stand to get the money.

Spend on what you like.

Enjoying my Jaws pin. Really good game.

#4947 33 days ago
Quoted from Alaskanzen:

Let’s not forget the Cary Hardy outrage video because, apparently, rage sells over insight and comedy.
The hand wringing over toppers is about the damned stupidest manchild bullshit ive seen in the hobby. Too bad because we are living in the greatest pinball era ever and some folks are committed to not enjoying it.

Cary is 1/2 entertainer and pinball outrage has to be part of the schtick. The gun thing was way overboard but he is generally amusing. Kaneda is the king of outrage but he is all about selling subscriptions so, proof rage sells.

I'm sure if this topper was $500 people would still complain it should be $300 or just focus more on how unimaginative it was.

#4948 33 days ago

Can we not turn the owners thread into yet another Stern bitching thread from people who don’t even own the game? The FULL PANIC thread and any one of the dozen other ones are that way —>

#4949 33 days ago
Quoted from tgarrett09:

Can we not turn the owners thread into yet another Stern bitching thread from people who don’t even own the game? The FULL PANIC thread and any one of the dozen other ones are that way —>

Jaws is a great game with a non-great topper. Godzilla is/was too!

#4950 33 days ago
Quoted from Bmanpin:

I’m a topper buyer but not this time that’s lame! Didn’t they say there would be an alternate topper other than the billboard style? I thought someone posted it from a guide a while back. For 1K that’s tough to swallow and I’ll stick with mine.[quoted image][quoted image]

What figure shark is that how do you buy it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
PinSteps for Jaws Pre-order!
PinShades

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Lermods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Magnetic Speaker Framez

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Other
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 74.99
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Reflex Mods

$ 17.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Delight

$ 210.00
$ 9,000.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 189.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
CRCades

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,785 posts in this topic. You are on page 99 of 116.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.