(Topic ID: 327469)

Jaws Is it next?

By whthrs166

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sharkula_1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3757 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    shark (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    received_564789922109399 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20220529_180101357 (resized).jpg
    jaws (resized).jpg
    44D96922-A1C1-4284-9603-EBE7BFC0A579 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    6DA6FE15-7BF6-454A-A9BB-0E43BF3F7B0D (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 12.52.25 PM (resized).png
    08D7AE27-AEAE-4D9C-9E2F-925DE56FB775 (resized).jpeg
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

Can’t wait for Jaws!

08D7AE27-AEAE-4D9C-9E2F-925DE56FB775 (resized).jpeg08D7AE27-AEAE-4D9C-9E2F-925DE56FB775 (resized).jpeg
    #2 1 year ago

Jaws 4 maybe.

#4 1 year ago

I hear the Sharknado license is available.

#5 1 year ago
    Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 12.52.25 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-12-13 at 12.52.25 PM (resized).png
    #7 1 year ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

[quoted image]

Cocaine Bear pin next to Jaws!
    Great idea!

6DA6FE15-7BF6-454A-A9BB-0E43BF3F7B0D (resized).jpeg6DA6FE15-7BF6-454A-A9BB-0E43BF3F7B0D (resized).jpeg
    #9 1 year ago

The movie Jaws romanticizes being eaten by a shark.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from oldbaby:

The movie Jaws romanticizes being eaten by a shark.

That's like saying Willie Wonka romanticizes candy getting eaten by people.

#11 1 year ago

Romancing the Shark?

#12 1 year ago

If you watch Jaws from the perspective of the shark, it’s a tragedy. You’re eating your lunch one day and a fuckin guy in a boat throws a grenade in your mouth.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

If you watch Jaws from the perspective of the shark, it’s a tragedy. You’re eating your lunch one day and a fuckin guy in a boat throws a grenade in your mouth.

Well, there is that.....

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Nah Jaws drew first blood! He ate Pippet the Dog. Unforgivable really.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Nah Jaws drew first blood! He ate Pippet the Dog.

Naked lady swimmer was first, right in the opening. Head in side of boat 2nd.

Pippet was right before the ladies son on the floating mattress on the 4th of July.

LTG : )

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Quoted from LTG:

Naked lady swimmer was first, right in the opening. Head in side of boat 2nd.
    Pippet was right before the ladies son on the floating mattress on the 4th of July.
    LTG : )

If I was pippets owner....

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    #17 1 year ago

So what do we do when we run out of ancient themes? When all the old movies/cartoons/rock bands are done?

Do we finally die, knowing the industry made zero effort trying to appease the younger market, thus making no attempts to keep pinball alive for the future?

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

So what do we so when we run out of ancient themes? When all thr old movies/cartoons/rock bands are done?
    Do we finally die, knowing the industry made zero effort trying to appease the younger market, thus making no attempts to keep pinball alive for the future?

I know a lot of Z geners that love playing fish tails…. Just sayin

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

So what do we do when we run out of ancient themes? When all the old movies/cartoons/rock bands are done?

Cell phone, TikTok, instagram, and blaming everyone else are coming right up to save the day!

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Cell phone, TikTok, instagram, and blaming everyone else are coming right up to save the day!

This was just the kind of "get off my lawn" attitude i was expecting.

Video games, more contemporary shows/series and even sports would work. We dont have to keep going back to a dry ass well that only 60 year olds care about.

Unlike any other hobby I've ever seen, never have I seen a group so entrenched in giving zero fucks about the hobby's survival after we pass away than pinball.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Video games, more contemporary shows/series and even sports would work. We dont have to keep going back to a dry ass well that only 60 year olds care about.
    Unlike any other hobby I've ever seen, never have I seen a group so entrenched in giving zero fucks about the hobby's survival after we pass away than pinball.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
    #22 1 year ago

In an effort to stay positive and constructive, can you suggest a theme specifically that would bridge the gap?

Based upon personal experience, I would suggest theme is not the problem, but more of a lack of interest in pinball by the majority of the population confronted by modern technology.

A trend that slowly began many years ago.

Jaws was an incredible movie, the sequels and reboots, not so much

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

You sure about that "zero effort" thing? What was the target market for DP, STR, Mando, AIQ and TS4 then?

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

This argument has been going on forever, and, in my opinion, is ridiculous. Are we Pinball Enthusiasts responsible for attracting younger pinball players or are the manufacturers? Yes, the manufacturers sometimes listen to us and pick themes we suggest, such as Iron Maiden, but ultimately I think they make games they believe will sell to non-Pinside buyers. So they pick those themes. Stranger Things is a good example of this. The fact is older themes have instant recognition to consumers whereas newer themes don’t. It’s the same logic behind Hollywood making so many sequels and reboots. IT’s business. And no one is saying Hollywood is in jeopardy of becoming obsolete because it focuses so much on older themes. I think pinball has a brighter future now than it’s ever had.

#25 1 year ago

Possibly I am mistaken here, but wasn't the recent Stern issue of TMNT (seeing one already in existence from Data East) a shot at the millenial nostalgia market?

I will let you decide how successful that selection was.

A Jaws pin could be either a hit or a failure; This would depend on the game design, sounds, visuals, play etc.

#26 1 year ago

TMNT would have been more successful if the game wasn't so harsh. "Hey, potential new pinball players - come try this cool turtles ga... OOPS! You drained all 3 balls and barely made any shots at all, thanks for playing sucker!"

It should have been a friendlier game with longer ball times. Also, using the actual TMNT cartoon video/audio would have been more effective in the nostalgia area. Yes, you can add the Cleland package but new players don't know that and the operator is in charge of the machine anyway.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from manadams:

You sure about that "zero effort" thing? What was the target market for DP, STR, Mando, AIQ and TS4 then?

The middle-aged “trying to be hip” theme whiners ALWAYS ignore this stuff. There’s always plenty of current themes available in pinball, but it just doesn’t fit the narrative for some folks.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

He ate the blonde first technically but that would not be as funny as your joke. Well done sir.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from dboeren:

TMNT would have been more successful if the game wasn't so harsh. "Hey, potential new pinball players - come try this cool turtles ga... OOPS! You drained all 3 balls and barely made any shots at all, thanks for playing sucker!"
    It should have been a friendlier game with longer ball times. Also, using the actual TMNT cartoon video/audio would have been more effective in the nostalgia area. Yes, you can add the Cleland package but new players don't know that and the operator is in charge of the machine anyway.

I have never drained three balls so fast in my life. Took longer to put the quarters in. After that a hard pass.

#30 1 year ago

My friend has good word it is not going to be jaws next. So don’t get hopes up just yet.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Well I am 51 and you may not like it but the best themes were invented in my lifetime growing up. And those themes and bands are better than the majority of crap out there.

Don’t need to see any woke pinball themes. Sad I got to see Disney destroy Star Wars and now Indiana Jones and much more.

And I am keeping your ball and get off of my lawn!!

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

In an effort to stay positive and constructive, can you suggest a theme specifically that would bridge the gap?
    Based upon personal experience, I would suggest theme is not the problem, but more of a lack of interest in pinball by the majority of the population confronted by modern technology.

Jaws 2 was the best sequel but not saying it’s great. My 15 year is and I love Jaws. The only movie my dad too me to was Jaws when I was 4, hooked since.

But still can’t watch the scene were Hooper went down in the water to check out the boat and the head popped out. But everyone getting eaten was cool.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Well I am 51 and you may not like it but the best themes were invented in my lifetime growing up. And those themes and bands are better than the majority of crap out there.

Yes! Although my father is 81 and he says the same thing...

#34 1 year ago

I'm 35 and Jaws is my favorite film of all time. I'd be all over one on theme alone. I think it has strong gameplay potential. (Although I know it will never have all the crazy ideas I would like to see, like an orca ship upper playfield that "sinks" into the main playfield, a shark cage ball lock, a shark head that pops up to eat a ball, a coral reef looking lower playfield with drop target "legs" and a sunken ship with Ben Gardner's head)

Someone mentioning Sharknado made me realize my real dream theme may actually be a shark game that plays clips from terrible Jaws-ripoffs. Sorta like EHOH using bad movie clips for modes. I just think it would be super fun to have a shark game where you can try to stop the shark, or you can be the shark fucking up shit.

#35 1 year ago

Jaws would be great!! Need JJP to make! Would be an instant classic!

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Possibly I am mistaken here, but wasn't the recent Stern issue of TMNT (seeing one already in existence from Data East) a shot at the millenial nostalgia market?
    I will let you decide how successful that selection was.
    A Jaws pin could be either a hit or a failure; This would depend on the game design, sounds, visuals, play etc.

I am solidly in the millennial bracket. I grew up in a small town without much in the way of pinball options but I absolutely remember putting quarters into the Addams Family down at the bowling alley (and basically any pinball machine I found through my childhood). I was quite young when I decided I wanted to own a pinball machine at some point in my life, but as I got older I generally found that if I had the space, I didn't have the money (or vice versa). Eventually both the money issue and space issue aligned around the time that TMNT was announced. As soon as I heard that TMNT was the next theme, I learned how to order a machine, dropped the cash, and waited impatiently for delivery because HOLY CRUD IT'S TMNT PINBALL. The theme sold it for me.

That being said, if a Jaws Pinball game is good, I'll be excited, same as I was with Godzilla (which I wrote off initially because I have no real emotional connection to Godzilla either but now it's proven to be a killer title). Jaws as a theme to me doesn't do much for ME, but I can appreciate that there are people that love other things than I do. Not every machine has to be a theme that fits my interests, I just hope they are fun to play.

#37 1 year ago

That was 3, 4 was "The Revenge" in the Bahamas lol

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from KidRichard:

That being said, if a Jaws Pinball game is good, I'll be excited

Well, if the Elwin on Jaws rumors are true it's basically guaranteed to be AWESOME.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from manadams:

Oh i was expecting someone to mention 3 of those 4. Yes. For every one that is semi up-to-date, there is literaly 10 that are old as hell. What's come out most recently?

Scooby doo. Old
    Queen. Old
    Toy story 4. The newest of the bunch, but still quite old
    Led zeplin. Old
    Rush. Old
    James bond featuring shawn connery? My god old.

Guys, comic book themes are the last bastian of what can be considered newer themes. But this is merely by accident. They just coincidently can be newer despite being conceived decades ago to appease the old people.

Even stranger things. It is a newer IP based on the 80s. Mando: newer IP based on old movies from thr late 70s early 80s.

You can't truly tell me that they sat in a board room and said, "gentlemen... the hell with the old guys this time. This theme is gonna be for the kids." Please be realistic.

This hobby has no intention of surviving past us. What do you suppose the average age is of people that come here? 45? 50? For everyone that chimes in saying "I'm 28," there will be five 60 year olds.

And I get it: you cater to people with the money. Totally understand. But after that, then what? Just sad to see them pandering to old heads exclusively, and are really painting themselves into a corner because of it.

#40 1 year ago
    44D96922-A1C1-4284-9603-EBE7BFC0A579 (resized).jpeg44D96922-A1C1-4284-9603-EBE7BFC0A579 (resized).jpeg
    #41 1 year ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Bridging the gap is comic themes. But the hell with bridging the gap. Aim a few strictly at younger audiences. What about Uncharted? Fortnite? Call of Duty. Video games are really taking over the movie market for entertainment dollars.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

I have never drained three balls so fast in my life. Took longer to put the quarters in. After that a hard pass.

Yeah, if TMNT had been a friendlier pin I'd own one right now. Wanted to like this one so bad, but it's just not fun. I'm 51 and still have the original Eastman & Laird B&W graphic novels.

Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Well, if the Elwin on Jaws rumors are true it's basically guaranteed to be AWESOME.

True, any new Elwin game is worth keeping an eye on no matter what the theme is. I'm waiting to hear Stern's next game announcement (and American Pinball's, Dennis Nordman is great too) before I pick my next machine.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The middle-aged “trying to be hip” theme whiners ALWAYS ignore this stuff. There’s always plenty of current themes available in pinball, but it just doesn’t fit the narrative for some folks.

Yep, and it's been going on for years. Themes like the Sopranos, 24, CSI were relevant and new when they came out. People dog on them now but they were fresh at one time.

The "only for boomer white male" argument has some merit, but stern makes what sells and you can't argue that. Meanwhile I look at stranger things, DP, Mandalorian, AIQ and even a family guy I still route and laugh at some of these people on here.

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

Yep, and it's been going on for years. Themes like the Sopranos, 24, CSI were relevant and new when they came out. People dog on them now but they were fresh at one time.
    The "only for boomer white male" argument has some merit, but stern makes what sells and you can't argue that. Meanwhile I look at stranger things, DP, Mandalorian, AIQ and even a family guy I still route and laugh at some of these people on here.

One theme I was shocked and thrilled with was Rick and Morty. Absolutely terrific theme that did try hard to go younger. Great idea!

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

One theme I was shocked and thrilled with was Rick and Morty. Absolutely terrific theme that did try hard to go younger. Great idea!

Yes, that was a GREAT grab by spooky. Relevant and current, people freak out when they hear a Rick and Morty pinball machine was made!

#46 1 year ago

Then there is Scooby Do…. My Z gener daughter’s favorite show growing up… one of My favorites also. A Handshake theme…

#47 1 year ago

I recognize that ebay fake. I hope nobody bought that.

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Bridging the gap is comic themes. But the hell with bridging the gap. Aim a few strictly at younger audiences. What about Uncharted? Fortnite? Call of Duty. Video games are really taking over the movie market for entertainment dollars.

Ever actually play call of duty? My 19 year old does all the time. It's about world war 1 and 2 Russian soldiers!!!! OLD!!!

My 11 year old plays Minecraft all the time and it's a cartoonist game about mining minerals and organic materials, mixed in with taming and raising livestock before the industrial revolution. OLD!!!

Fortnite you get dropped from a 1980s school bus hanging from a 1920's hot air balloon and you can drive 1970ish looking muscle cars. Newer game with OLD themes.

#49 1 year ago

Jaws would be my shot at a NIB as my wife absolutely loves sharks and the movie. I have a couple items already framed in the game room!! One signed by Dreyfuss.

Classics never die and the nostalgia helps keep the industry alive IMHO. Why not pay homage to a movie that is in the Guinness World Records?!?

Newer themes are present and will be more prevalent in the future. Judging by how fast R&M sold out you best believe they have taken notice.

I like to laugh and think of the lyrics written by a boomer when people complain about them, "And these children that you spit on, As they try to change their worlds" ~ Bowie. Now it is the boomers turn to take the heat!! A healthy pattern of advancing civilization.

PXL_20220529_180101357 (resized).jpgPXL_20220529_180101357 (resized).jpgjaws (resized).jpgjaws (resized).jpg
    #50 1 year ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Oh i was expecting someone to mention 3 of those 4. Yes. For every one that is semi up-to-date, there is literaly 10 that are old as hell. What's come out most recently?
    Scooby doo. Old
    Queen. Old
    Toy story 4. The newest of the bunch, but still quite old
    Led zeplin. Old
    Rush. Old
    James bond featuring shawn connery? My god old.
    Guys, comic book themes are the last bastian of what can be considered newer themes. But this is merely by accident. They just coincidently can be newer despite being conceived decades ago to appease the old people.
    Even stranger things. It is a newer IP based on the 80s. Mando: newer IP based on old movies from thr late 70s early 80s.
    You can't truly tell me that they sat in a board room and said, "gentlemen... the hell with the old guys this time. This theme is gonna be for the kids." Please be realistic.
    This hobby has no intention of surviving past us. What do you suppose the average age is of people that come here? 45? 50? For everyone that chimes in saying "I'm 28," there will be five 60 year olds.
    And I get it: you cater to people with the money. Totally understand. But after that, then what? Just sad to see them pandering to old heads exclusively, and are really painting themselves into a corner because of it.

Nobody gives a shit.

Start your own pinball company, and own the youth market!

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jaws-is-it-next-?hl=nashtyfunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.