Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How do I feel about this?”

• Jaws LE IS the single greatest machine in the history of pinball! 22 votes
    9%
  • Er... rankings should be based on weighted average across all versions. 27 votes
    11%
  • I'm unable to perceive sarcasm on the internet. 15 votes
    6%
  • Hardbody, bitches. 27 votes
    11%
  • Be better if Elton John ate the ball(s). 38 votes
    15%
  • No peace without a two-state solution. 9 votes
    4%
  • Disney is ruining Star Wars and Marvel. 40 votes
    16%
  • The voting is rigged. 72 votes
    29%

(Multiple choice - 250 votes by 203 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

icegif-675.gif
IMG_0683 (resized).jpeg
200w.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
176h0h (resized).jpg
bo-derek-2-1-2000-3033fd6db1694da2928947cf42d6ce01 (resized).jpg
IMG_2667 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2670 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2668 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4627 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240409_162126_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
LE ratings bs.gif
IMG_6168 (resized).jpeg
There are 659 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 14.
#501 52 days ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

You didn't read my post, then! I think anything in the top 75 is a good ass machine. But in today's society, if you aren't first your last, I guess.

Do you believe that Jaws is a 5/10 or are you "Doing your part" to punish those people who own games like DW and give them a 10/10?

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 11.09.22?AM (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-04-04 at 11.09.22?AM (resized).png
#502 52 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I would argue that with how good games are today, it means we have to be more critical of our thinking on these. Just because they're all good, doesn't mean that some are better or worse than others, and even good ones might have room for improvement in some areas. I don't think Jaws is a bad game by any means, just for the record. I think given with what they had to work with, they have done a nice job with most things.

Jaws callouts are absolutely awful lol
JaAaAckpot.
Shuper JaAackpot.

The spectrum from BAD to GOOD to GREAT is of course subjective mostly. But the degree of separation is so small on these games that have come out in the past few years it really has just been great for the consumer and choice.

Personal preference. That's all it comes down to these days.

For me, it's now JJP 1st for the $$$. With a Stern LE it's $16k all in. Then if i'm going to buy a game today it needs to be a THEME i really like! If not, a pass.

#503 52 days ago

Just played Jaws last night with the new code. It reminds me of Bond with the early Code and did not care for it all. I love Bond now and with more code coming I think Jaws is going to be another winner. Still am trying to get the hang of the upper playfiend on the prem.

#504 52 days ago

If it’s fun pin for you to play what does a list have to do with anything?

The best pinball machine out there is the one YOU like to play most often.

#506 52 days ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Do you believe that Jaws is a 5/10 or are you "Doing your part" to punish those people who own games like DW and give them a 10/10?
[quoted image]

100% to bring down the absurd rankings. I think Jaws is a 6 or 7ish at best, which is still pretty good. Full transparency, I'm trying to even out the bullshit reviews. So yes, doing my part. Did you expect a "gotcha" moment against me?

You can't be so stupid that you don't see people review their newly bought 13k games a10 for selfish reasons. Misleading people to buy something strictly so they can feel good about their overpieced purchase. Meanwhile I rated DW a 10 because I've had one in my collection for like 12 years. Love it. Favorite game, tried and tested over a decade of play. Not because of some stupid agenda. Go give it a 0. I give zero fucks.

That's the difference.

Keep the downvotes, coming you hypocrites. Everyone that downvotes me, go check our their reviews. They've all done the same thing. Just not man enough to admit it.

#507 52 days ago

I thumbed up the above post not because I agree with the tactic but rather because it’s stating what most people should know but some will not say.

#508 52 days ago

Man people get weird about these ratings. Just go rate a game for your own reasons. Going and putting in extremely high or low ratings just to moved the overall rating where one person thinks it should be is ridiculous.

#509 52 days ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

100% to bring down the absurd rankings. I think Jaws is a 6 or 7ish at best, which is still pretty good. Full transparency, I'm trying to even out the bullshit reviews. So yes, doing my part. Did you expect a "gotcha" moment against me?
You can't be so stupid that you don't see people review their newly bought 13k games a10 for selfish reasons. Misleading people to buy something strictly so they can feel good about their overpieced purchase. Meanwhile I rated DW a 10 because I've had one in my collection for like 12 years. Love it. Favorite game, tried and tested over a decade of play. Not because of some stupid agenda. Go give it a 0. I give zero fucks.
That's the difference.

no gotcha, just wanted to see if you were self aware enough to realize you are the problem.

#510 52 days ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

That's the difference.

Aww you're my little starship trooper

IMO putting zeros and low scores is perfectly fine. Theres way more clowns giving games 9's and 10's that don't deserve it. I'm not talking about DW either, which I think we all agree is at least a good game and possibly a stupendous game. I mean you go to many games, which are certified stinkers, and guys write reviews like "this is my first game and its so awesome! I love it!" and its like all 10's across the board. Like...Im glad you like your Popeye or Millionaire or whatever, but she ain't a 10, not even with beer goggles and a molly pill

#511 52 days ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Going and putting in extremely high or low ratings just to moved the overall rating where one person thinks it should be is ridiculous.

Yeah its super confusing.
The ratings are stupid and pumped by everyone, so I'll do the opposite to even it out but, but it doesn't matter because the ratings are stupid.
But the ratings ARE stupid so whatever.

#512 52 days ago

I don't look at the score, more at the comments. Some people write really in-depth reviews that are helpful.

#513 52 days ago

You people are all insane!

We must rise above this as a human race. We can't let online pinball rankings destroy us!

#514 52 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We must rise above this as a human race. We can't let online pinball rankings destroy us!

At least all Stern buyers have something in common — being in the 1% together.

Per Chicago Tribute, that is! Big assumption on their part.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/04/04/stern-pinball-factory-elk-grove-village/

Maybe the bottom 1% of accurate voting!

#515 52 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You say all this tongue in cheek, but is there a way to get an unbiased list of top games... without a research grant and pools of money? If we all submitted a standardized 27B-6 form, could we actually live with results or would there be this constant drone of "bitch-bitch-bitch-bitch" sounding like a Harley Davidson at idle?

#516 52 days ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

You say all this tongue in cheek, but is there a way to get an unbiased list of top games...

No. It is literally impossible to have a subjective list that is also "unbiased."

It does drive me bonkers that there are so many people here who think there's some kind of mathematical solution to a problem that doesn't exist. There's no way to "fix" it.

#517 52 days ago
Quoted from altan:

being in the 1% together.

I was in the top 2%, not the top 1%, so please try to be more accurate... though I do have FU money... and I am in the 31% who have paid off their mortgages, but I no way (even combined) make $400k a year and my net worth is way south of the 6 million in assets required to be in top 1%...

Now the top 3%, guilty as charged but only since going on disability. Since then, I am down to 65% of my salary and we are now out of top 2 percent, but not by much.

#518 52 days ago

Usually the games i like and rate get a score below where they are currently at.
I consider an overall 7 a really good score.
People rating games, especially thoose they own a 10, are beyond ridiculous.

#519 52 days ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

in today's society, if you aren't first your last, I guess.

IMG_6168 (resized).jpegIMG_6168 (resized).jpeg
#520 52 days ago

It's not surprising. I mean, I like Elwin and all but to have 4 games in the Top 10? C'mon, there's other designers. I like Jaws but I think most would agree Gomez's Bond was better designed and more loaded.
Iron Maiden has to be there? Better than Monster Bash? Yeah right. Tell that to Lyman.
Attack from Mars just there because of default? From that great era I can think of a few better one's.
It's all subjective, I like them all but sometimes I think it is better to have some different pins, instead of the same old collection of what's supposedly on top.

#521 52 days ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

That's the difference.
Keep the downvotes, coming you hypocrites. Everyone that downvotes me, go check our their reviews. They've all done the same thing. Just not man enough to admit it.

I never have. Intentionally rating a game lower than you really think it is because other people gave it 10s is about the stupidest thing I've seen on here. I should go rank DW a 1 now because it sure as hell ain't a 10.

#522 52 days ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

...Everyone that downvotes me, go check our their reviews. They've all done the same thing. Just not man enough to admit it.

Actually we haven't. It's too much effort to be that lame.

#523 52 days ago

My collection is shallow but wide... I have a little of everything from the wedgies of the 60's to GZ. I like all my games and play them all, but GZ is like pinball crack and I bought the largest rock they had for sale NIB right now with my Premium. Owned it since November and more than 1800 plays (mostly by me) so far. 2.111 Billion GC at Factory installed settings, 6.5 degrees, and 1.x code but I haven't even made it past Planet X yet... been one shot away from completing it... drained. Done this about 4 times so far. Need to change up my Gigan strategy. I can stack a bunch of extra balls up, then drain drain drain drain... end of game. Ok, 400 mil but every multiball was lose two balls at once, mode over, ball over. Shoot again, start a MB, then drain drain drain, ball saver off, double drain or triple drain depending on if it was a 2 or 3 ball multiball... ripped through 4 extra balls like tinfoil.

#524 52 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No. It is literally impossible to have a subjective list that is also "unbiased."
It does drive me bonkers that there are so many people here who think there's some kind of mathematical solution to a problem that doesn't exist. There's no way to "fix" it.

well yes, but no too. If all the votes from all the versions were counted instead of only LE versions the ratings would be much harder to manipulate. It's really the LE buyers, who have the most invested, who rig the ratings the most to protect their investments. More data points = less room for manipulation; it's that simple.

#525 52 days ago

time will even out the votes. Putting in negative reviews intentionally is worst then owner or newness bias imho.

I’m no going to make a dig at the doctor I’m sure your a lovely person but take a minute to look at it objectively, positive bias is natural the other is just trying to pee in someone’s cheerios.

Jaws is a 9 for me hard to see anyone rating it lower then an 8 but if you think it’s a 7 rate it a 7.

I see some people love bond I couldn’t give it higher then a 7.5 maybe if i owned it over time it could reach an 8 but I don’t really care for the layout the shots feel clunky and weird to me.

Who’s right? Who’s wrong? who cares…..

#526 52 days ago
Quoted from Zen_Monkey:

time will even out the votes. Putting in negative reviews intentionally is worst then owner or newness bias imho.
Who’s right? Who’s wrong? who cares…..

Exactly. Bogus reviews are dumb as shit either way, but it's insane to me that someone would waste time downvoting and even posting tanked views to "even out the rating" as they see fit.

LE ratings bs.gifLE ratings bs.gif
#527 51 days ago

You can use the “custom” button to see ratings any way you want to see it

There you go

#528 51 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You can use the “custom” button to see ratings any way you want to see it
There you go

Dammit man that isn't well enough for him!

#529 51 days ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

but is there a way to get an unbiased list of top games

Only meaningful way to compare success of a game is by actual sales (assuming we knew actual sales figures).

Though given enough ratings you would have to assume crazy's like Doctor6 would lose significance. Or just wait 6 months then remove all the perfect 10's and 5's or below and then get your list.

Or we could appoint a Pinside Panel made up of the most revered "experts" on here to give in depth analysis of each game and then we could devote endless threads to debating how wrong they were.

#530 51 days ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

That's the difference.

I’m not feeling the ‘investment protect’ vibe though. I believe buyers genuinely love this pin. I do. My assessment is honest. We’ve all experienced those ‘meh’ pins that folks wanted to die on that hill over.

#531 51 days ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Exactly. Bogus reviews are dumb as shit either way, but it's insane to me that someone would waste time downvoting and even posting tanked views to "even out the rating" as they see fit.[quoted image]

I have reviewed a lot of pins (I live in an major city with a lot of venues and took up a Pokemon ‘gotta review ‘em all’). I don’t review unless I’ve played a pin enough to get a *feel* for it, which often means playing different machines multiple times. If I change my mind after playing after that, I adjust my review.

The number of flipping downvotes/red flags I’ve got from machine owners for long reviews based on 20+ location plays is incredible. We have a dedicated pinball club near us that has two American Pinball titles (Houdini and Oktoberfest) and, honestly, it doesn’t matter how busy the venue is, they don’t get played. Seriously, people in a dedicated pinball club would rather stand about drinking coffee and chatting than free play those pins (Family Guy is another culprit). I’ve frequently played Houdini because I couldn’t get onto another machine, and I - personally - can write a page on why I think it sucks (compared to other pins).

At least 11 owners have redflagged/downvoted my Houdini review… It’s like “folks, I know *you* like this thing but, in a room with 29 other pins, I’ve literally observed people standing about, drinking coffee and waiting for another pin to free up rather than playing Houdini for nothing. It is conspicuously underplayed in a crowded club where all the machines are on free play. So, this ain’t just my quirky opinion.”

#532 51 days ago
Quoted from Veemonroe:

I have reviewed a lot of pins (I live in an major city with a lot of venues and took up a Pokemon ‘gotta review ‘em all’). I don’t review unless I’ve played a pin enough to get a *feel* for it, which often means playing different machines multiple times. If I change my mind after playing after that, I adjust my review.
The number of flipping downvotes I’ve got from machine owners for long reviews based on 20+ location plays is incredible. We have a dedicated pinball club near us that has two American Pinball titles (Houdini and Oktoberfest) and, honestly, it doesn’t matter how busy the venue is, they don’t get played. Seriously, people in a dedicated pinball club would rather stand about drinking coffee and chatting than free play those pins (Family Guy is another culprit). I’ve frequently played Houdini because I couldn’t get onto another machine, and I - personally - can write a page on why I think it sucks (compared to other pins).
At least 11 owners have flagged/downvoted my Houdini review… It’s like “folks, I know *you* like this thing but, in a room with 29 other pins, I’ve literally observed people standing about, drinking coffee and waiting for another pin to free up rather than playing Houdini for nothing. It is conspicuously underplayed in a crowded club where all the machines are on free play. So, this ain’t just my quirky opinion.”

I've always said the flagging system is a rare miss by Pinside

#533 51 days ago
Quoted from Veemonroe:

The number of flipping downvotes/red flags I’ve got from machine owners for long reviews based on 20+ location plays is incredible. We have a dedicated pinball club near us that has two American Pinball titles (Houdini and Oktoberfest) and, honestly, it doesn’t matter how busy the venue is, they don’t get played. Seriously, people in a dedicated pinball club would rather stand about drinking coffee and chatting than free play those pins (Family Guy is another culprit). I’ve frequently played Houdini because I couldn’t get onto another machine, and I - personally - can write a page on why I think it sucks (compared to other pins).
At least 11 owners have redflagged/downvoted my Houdini review… It’s like “folks, I know *you* like this thing but, in a room with 29 other pins, I’ve literally observed people standing about, drinking coffee and waiting for another pin to free up rather than playing Houdini for nothing. It is conspicuously underplayed in a crowded club where all the machines are on free play. So, this ain’t just my quirky opinion.”

Lots of weirdos out there. For one, I respect that you play a game enough before reviewing and just post and honest opinion. That’s what it’s all about for me. I like to write down my thoughts, because what I’ve realized is that my opinion can change (much like you mention). That said, I’ll never understand feeling the need to go post a terrible review to “even out” where I think ratings should be.

#534 51 days ago

There’s a simple solution

Top 100 reset

Everyone automatically gets a 10 rating for the games in their collection.

We all move on.

#535 51 days ago

Pick the #1 game from each of the top 20 designers and list them ranked in descending order for the top 20, let the rest fall where they may after that.. it might be a better look at the overall history of pinball and which games are appreciated.

GAME DESIGN
Average score of all the games where a person had a role in game design
Keith Elwin
Credited for game design on 15 games
5654 ratings
Jack Danger
Credited for game design on 3 games
761 ratings
Brian Eddy
Credited for game design on 18 games
6418 ratings
Matt Coriale
Credited for game design on 4 games
1064 ratings
Larry DeMar
Credited for game design on 6 games
3359 ratings
Doug Watson
Credited for game design on 2 games
1321 ratings
John Popadiuk
Credited for game design on 5 games
3528 ratings
George Gomez
Credited for game design on 25 games
8260 ratings
Pat Lawlor
Credited for game design on 23 games
9289 ratings
Jeff Brenner
177 ratings
Eric Meunier
Credited for game design on 8 games
1744 ratings
Harry Mabs
27 ratings
Stephen Silver
133 ratings
Tom Kopera
893 ratings
Steve Ritchie
Credited for game design on 36 games
11278 ratings
Lyman F. Sheats Jr.
763 ratings
Keith P. Johnson
945 ratings
Dave Sanders
531 ratings
Louis Koziarz
604 ratings
Dennis Nordman
Credited for game design on 13 games
4503 ratings

#536 50 days ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

I don't look at the score, more at the comments. Some people write really in-depth reviews that are helpful.

I do the same thing, tho I’ve gotta admit, before I read the rating, I look to see how long someone has been a Pinside member. If someone has only been around for a year - maybe two - I skip and move to the next

#537 50 days ago
Quoted from 80sMan:

Pick the #1 game from each of the top 20 designers and list them ranked in descending order for the top 20, let the rest fall where they may after that.. it might be a better look at the overall history of pinball and which games are appreciated.
GAME DESIGN
Average score of all the games where a person had a role in game design
Keith Elwin
Credited for game design on 15 games
5654 ratings
Jack Danger
761 ratings
Brian Eddy
Credited for game design on 18 games
6418 ratings
Matt Coriale
1064 ratings
Larry DeMar
Credited for game design on 6 games
3359 ratings
Doug Watson
1321 ratings
John Popadiuk
Credited for game design on 5 games
3528 ratings
George Gomez
Credited for game design on 25 games
8260 ratings
Pat Lawlor
Credited for game design on 23 games
9289 ratings
Jeff Brenner
177 ratings
Eric Meunier
Credited for game design on 8 games
1744 ratings
Harry Mabs
27 ratings
Stephen Silver
133 ratings
Tom Kopera
893 ratings
Steve Ritchie
Credited for game design on 36 games
11278 ratings
Lyman F. Sheats Jr.
763 ratings
Keith P. Johnson
945 ratings
Dave Sanders
531 ratings
Louis Koziarz
604 ratings
Dennis Nordman
Credited for game design on 13 games
4503 ratings

Ever look up Wayne Neyens? Lets see... credited with over 100 games, probably responsible for more pinball than allowable by God, and even then, I think God gave him a hall pass...

Number of games designed is no way to rate them either, we have outliers everywhere... we have perenial favs that are one hit wonders, and we have prolific designers with huge and sucessful catalogs too.

A list is just a series of names or other items written or printed together in a meaningful grouping or sequence so as to constitute a record. These items can be associated loosely and arranged in an order that has pertinent meaning based on common attributes and traits. The usefulness of the list is highly dependent on the source and authority of that source used to create the list, and its ACCEPTANCE by all the parties that use it.

Yeah, like that is going to happen in my lifetime...

#538 50 days ago

24 seems about right to me. Game is good, not great. Thats ok, don't let placebo try and convince you that every $8000 purchase was the best. Jaws is one of my most favorite movies and I couldn't wait for the pin. Its sort of came and went at this point for me, I've played it and I liked it enough to play a few more games but its really just lost in a sea of other "good" pins and faded into obscurity ... for me.

#539 50 days ago
Quoted from superNoid:

24 seems about right to me. Game is good, not great. Thats ok, don't let placebo try and convince you that every $8000 purchase was the best. Jaws is one of my most favorite movies and I couldn't wait for the pin. Its sort of came and went at this point for me, I've played it and I liked it enough to play a few more games but its really just lost in a sea of other "good" pins and faded into obscurity ... for me.

Code is only .87 so who knows what this game will be like in a year?

It's good now.

It could yet be great.

#540 50 days ago
Quoted from superNoid:

I'm as big a Jaws fan as most people, I think, I've read the book at least half a dozen times over the years, seen all the movies many times, etc. But I was skeptical of this being a great pinball theme from the outset. It's just not that compelling once you've seen the clips and heard the sounds a few times. The shots are "fine" but nothing really compelling there. Not every pinball machine needs to be groundbreaking though, so it's a fun game that does the theme justice. I would have been surprised if it was anything more than it is, frankly, though having the shark eat/capture the ball and then hitting the captured ball with another ball would have been a fun and obvious way to "blow up the shark" as any.

#541 48 days ago

Jaws has risen once again! To the 23rd spot! Edging out TAF and the infamous ball eating Thing

#542 48 days ago

I was going to just let it die... but I guess it's time for a thread title update!

#543 48 days ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

I was going to just let it die... but I guess it's time for a thread title update!

Michael Jordan is to GOAT as Keith Elwin is to GOAT. It only makes sense Jaws is number 23 much like Michael Jordan. My logic is infallible. Don't @ me Bill Russell and Lebron James stans.

#544 48 days ago

The game is meh !!

#545 48 days ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

It seems you are committed... for eternity.

#546 47 days ago

Pro dropped to #112
The pro is really slipping!

#547 47 days ago
Quoted from TeamUp:

Pro dropped to #112

"Sinking"

#548 47 days ago
Quoted from TeamUp:

Pro dropped to #112

It needs some more barrels attached. Where are the yellow barrel mods? That'll bring em back up

#549 47 days ago

Oh no! Ill have to sell it now!

#550 47 days ago

Eat shit Addam's Family.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richmond, VA
$ 17.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Delight

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 15.00
Playfields
Chrome Candy

$ 27.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PixelPete Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 195.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cosmic Mods

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 45.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 210.00
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 659 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jaws-enters-the-top-100-at-77/page/11?hl=veemonroe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.