(Topic ID: 229299)

JAWS confidence level

By PINQUEST

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

554F1201-155D-412C-A560-20F2C3E9B6E2 (resized).jpeg
    20190915_025009 (resized).jpg
    EF50C775-EC9A-45F2-9CC7-58128CFECF5D (resized).jpeg
    Jaws-Board-Game-Trailer-Target (resized).jpg
    E5272B98-0616-4E4E-A501-144B7991CE84 (resized).jpeg
    jaws_mrclean_stern (resized).png
    no-really-is-this-a-joke (resized).jpg
    E8687C1E-0615-4522-9439-33D11F924F16 (resized).jpeg
    20190311_130256 (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    B9E2201A-CCE9-4836-AEFB-0EBF6BB13068 (resized).jpeg
    4EA8826D-565D-4BD7-86EB-1810161C0A00 (resized).jpeg
    47574469-4C8C-4CCC-BF1A-4A782AAD3C47 (resized).jpeg
    Jaws_pop1 (resized).jpg
    Jaws_pop2 (resized).jpg
    847fe77d777ecdd976000a9b68a37a40c979abe0.jpg

There are 291 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
    #51 5 years ago

No we don't want toy sharks on springs. We want pop bumpers shaped like yellow barrels that go up and down like trolls on medieval madness. Sharks that come out from the side and eat the ball kind of like the tongue on alien and on and on. There could be a million call outs that could really make the game.

The theme alone could sell the machine but NOT some bullshit sharks on springs, cheap as possible, slap to the face of a great game to save $10.

Put the higher cost back in the game to make a great machine not just some crappy retheme where they charge a fortune just because it will sell.

If we could get the right manufacturer to do the machine it would be my first and probably only nib game. We want a Alien "style" machine.

I honestly think JJP would do a much better job on a jaws pin.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Stern's had the license for ages. They watch Pinside so closely it'd make a New York podcaster blush. You type it enough times they make it simple as that.
    Question is will there be any mechs? Does the shark only eat the ball on the LE? Can they repurpose the JP bite mech? Or will the game just be artwork and springs?

they will take the cheapest way out, as they have proven over and over.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Jaws is the only game that would even make me consider buying NIB.
    All I know is if the shark doesn't somehow eat the ball, then someone fucked up bad.

LOL There was a lot of talk how smaug would interact with the ball when TH was being built

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from msj2222:

they will take the cheapest way out, as they have proven over and over.

Well then I'm out.

#55 5 years ago

Focus on artwork, light green cab with Orca on sides. Quint and Hooper on head sides, Brody on coin door. Translite is all three fighting shark. Maybe zombie yeti art?

Pf art would be mix of amity and ocean. Blues and browns, some reds for color. Sounds and dots would be original scores with action scenes and some family/ amity/ mayor humor.

Toys are just that, toys. Springs? Hanging sharks? Biting shark? Yeah, ok. But pf design will always be king.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Focus on artwork, light green cab with Orca on sides. Quint and Hooper on head sides, Brody on coin door. Translite is all three fighting shark. Maybe zombie yeti art?
    Pf art would be mix of amity and ocean. Blues and browns, some reds for color. Sounds and dots would be original scores with action scenes and some family/ amity/ mayor humor.
    Toys are just that, toys. Springs? Hanging sharks? Biting shark? Yeah, ok. But pf design will always be king.

Agree on all except artist. I think Franchi would be well suited to do a more photo-realistic take on the license.

Either way, Jaws would be a ‘take my money now’ game unless the license cost neutered any interactive features.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Agree on all except artist. I think Franchi would be well suited to do a more photo-realistic take on the license.
    Either way, Jaws would be a ‘take my money now’ game unless the license cost neutered any interactive features.

Agree on Franchi, I love Jeremy’s work but Franchi would be my choice for JAWS as you said for a more realistic style.

JAWS is a must buy for me providing they have the audio and video from JAWS (maybe a little of JAWS 2 in there for depth) and it’s gotto have an interactive orca and JAWS.

#58 5 years ago

I hope they make this Jaws a widebody!

#59 5 years ago

How do you know they have the license? Not questioning your credibility just curious when/how it was acquired.

#60 5 years ago

Maybe I lack imagination but I seriously don't get how JAWS would make a compelling pinball theme. I've read the books numerous times and watched the movies, etc. so I'm definately a fan. But honestly seems like a pretty dull pinball theme.

Maybe if it was kept simpler like a late 80s SS game. What are they going to put on the LCD, movie footage?

I dunno, seems like it would difficult to pull off.

I would hope that Eddie's new game would be something that would give him an outlet for humour since his 2 best games were both that way.

#61 5 years ago

so many cool/ suspenseful things could be done with jaws... imagine a mode where you are swimming, having to hit timed shots or you get eaten my the shark!!

#62 5 years ago

If Sterns makes it, I'm sure the toys won't set the world on fire, but the game should be fun.

It's a must buy for me and it might be the first game where I purchase all 3 versions depending on the artwork.

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from PINQUEST:

so many cool/ suspenseful things could be done with jaws... imagine a mode where you are swimming, having to hit timed shots or you get eaten my the shark!!

Black Rose video mode, very cool.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Stern's had the license for ages. They watch Pinside so closely it'd make a New York podcaster blush. You type it enough times they make it simple as that.
    Question is will there be any mechs? Does the shark only eat the ball on the LE? Can they repurpose the JP bite mech? Or will the game just be artwork and springs?

Jaws will be printed on a piece of flat plastic. Dollar store sales of shark figurines will boom.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from PINQUEST:

There’s that mode, and the one where you make shots to kill the shark! Then what? (Like I said I probably lack imagination).

#66 5 years ago

Save the dog mode! Haha

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

There’s that mode, and the one where you make shots to kill the shark! Then what? (Like I said I probably lack imagination).

ZEN studios virtual JAWS table did a good job of using the licence to capture the feel of the film and create modes from scenes in the film that weren’t all that extensive in the movie yet are well played out on the game.

The night time sailing mode is my personal favourite where they are looking for JAWS in the film, in the mode the GI goes completely out and the required shot is the only shot that has its insert arrows lit and nearby Lane GI on, pretty cool mode.

67AB48CF-61C5-480D-B80A-90DF5B17CF5D (resized).jpeg67AB48CF-61C5-480D-B80A-90DF5B17CF5D (resized).jpeg
    #68 5 years ago

The zen machines are meh..... I get they are taking a slightly different approach, but I personally hate that game. It’s super confusing. The feel I agree. Dreadful and on edge...

2 weeks later
    #69 5 years ago

Through the Grapevine of Gossip......Stern secured Jaws License Last week! Extremely reliable.

Game On!

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Through the Grapevine of Gossip......Stern secured Jaws License Last week! Extremely reliable.
    Game On!

Also Gremlins , Big trouble little China and Bon Jovi .....

#71 5 years ago

Quoted from Wakky:Also Gremlins , Big trouble little China and Bon Jovi .....

Dont know about those, but I do Trust my info based on the position in the Industry from which it came.

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Game On!

...I guess Spooky was probably about to sign the deal. Maybe we should thank Spooky for forcing Stern to make all these themes they otherwise probably wouldn't bother with. Assuming they get made at all at the end of the day.

Still not seeing how JAWS becomes a great pinball theme but I'm willing find to out.

#73 5 years ago

My dream for the game, besides the shark eating the ball (which I feel like is mandatory), is that they have an Orca ship upper playfield that will "sink" by lowering the front of the upper playfield down and turning the upper playfield into a giant ramp. Think Phantom of the Opera. Maybe put the ball eating shark bash toy under the boat.

My other major idea for the game is there need to be two story ladder progressions, one where you are the Humans and one where you are the Shark. I think the idea of rooting for the Shark is a ton of fun.

On a LE have a lower playfield where you are the shark going after people's legs which are drop targets.

All of this is way too expensive for Stern to do of course. Oh well...

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Game On!

So then, what is Brian Eddy working on if Stern did not have the license until now? Honest question...

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

So then, what is Brian Eddy working on if Stern did not have the license until now? Honest question...

Hopefully Beetlejuice.

#76 5 years ago

Hopefully something with high comedic potential ala MM and AFM.

Quoted from TreyBo69:

and one where you are the Shark. I think the idea of rooting for the Shark is a ton of fun.

...playing as the shark would actually be way more fun, wouldn't it?

#77 5 years ago

They probably got the license just so someone else couldn't.

#78 5 years ago

I dont know. Sorry. I heard from a well respected Business we all know that a License was secured.....nothing more.

#79 5 years ago

For some reason this seems like it is going to be a Keith Elwin designed game.

#80 5 years ago

I thought I read somewhere that it was coming out in Spring 2019.

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Jaws is the only game that would even make me consider buying NIB.
    All I know is if the shark doesn't somehow eat the ball, then someone fucked up bad.

He'll eat the ball, but will look suspiciously like Groot with a new paint job. They have a lot of groots left over from GotG underperforming. Not WWE level parts, but probably enough to repaint the heads as sharks that eat the balls.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

My other major idea for the game is there need to be two story ladder progressions, one where you are the Humans and one where you are the Shark. I think the idea of rooting for the Shark is a ton of fun.

Kind of like the original Jaws 3, People 0 idea for Jaws 3 that they didn't go with? Would have been a much better movie than Jaws 3D.

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Kind of like the original Jaws 3, People 0 idea for Jaws 3 that they didn't go with? Would have been a much better movie than Jaws 3D.

Yeah the script for the original Jaws 3 is great. That said, Jaws 3 is a guilty pleasure for how bad it is. Jaws 2 is derivative. Jaws 3 is laughably bad. Jaws the Revenge is just bad bad (although I do love Michael Caine's character is named after a sandwich)

#84 5 years ago

If you type a theme enough times into Pinside Stern will make it.

Do a search count for Jaws vs Munsters, consider that the far less requested Munsters is getting a game and "do the math"

#85 5 years ago

If Groot can eat balls, the shark can too. Even on the Pro.

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Do a search count for Jaws vs Munsters, consider that the far less requested Munsters is getting a game and "do the math"

Likely because Munsters was a relatively inexpensive license to get.

#87 5 years ago

OK here's the thing with a shark. It needs to swim and emerge from water.

So really you can't just have a shark mouth just sitting there and you shove balls into it. You need a spot for the ball to land, the music plays, and shark emerges eats ball and disappears.

Look at Dino on JP. It's standing there, it bends over opens mouth and eats ball - just like eating the lawyer off the toilet. Fits the action of the movie.

I don't see modern Stern putting enough time into a proper mech to do this. Maybe they reuse the sinking POTC mech but why would the player want to sink the Orca... Unless player IS THE SHARK? Which is possible a PS2 Jaws game had this premise.

#88 5 years ago

I hope a Jaws pin does get made one day i would love to have one unless it's a very bad game.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

So really you can't just have a shark mouth just sitting there and you shove balls into it. You need a spot for the ball to land, the music plays, and shark emerges eats ball and disappears.
    Look at Dino on JP. It's standing there, it bends over opens mouth and eats ball - just like eating the lawyer off the toilet. Fits the action of the movie.
    I don't see modern Stern putting enough time into a proper mech to do this. Maybe they reuse the sinking POTC mech but why would the player want to sink the Orca... Unless player IS THE SHARK? Which is possible a PS2 Jaws game had this premise.

That's Jaws Unleashed and that game was a great mediocre game. Honestly, I think being the shark is a much better idea than being the "good guys" (and yo, it's a shark...it's not a bad guy; it's an animal). Are there any pinball games where you are ostensibly the bad guy?

Sinking the Orca is such a key part of that film. Even if you're the good guys, the boat needs to sink at some point.

But you have a great point about the shark head popping up. I think it's more realistic that it'll just be a Groot-like bash toy, but it's fun to think of how Bruce could eat the ball. Maybe something like the gator on Nip It? Have it hidden to the side and it just snatches in the ball to lock a ball for multiball? I thought the way Zen Pinball used the shark cage for multiball was inspired as well. That and their use of the fin

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

My dream for the game, besides the shark eating the ball (which I feel like is mandatory), is that they have an Orca ship upper playfield that will "sink" by lowering the front of the upper playfield down and turning the upper playfield into a giant ramp. Think Phantom of the Opera. Maybe put the ball eating shark bash toy under the boat.
    On a LE have a lower playfield where you are the shark going after people's legs which are drop targets.
    All of this is way too expensive for Stern to do of course. Oh well...

A swim mode utilizing the magnet style from that of Williams Dracula. Or leather ramp motor driven type from Gottliebs Wipe Out. Leading to the shark area.

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

If you type a theme enough times into Pinside Stern will make it.

Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws Jaws

Lmao. That’s great!

#93 5 years ago

My Favorite Jaws Story starts with standing in line for the first Movie with my wife still today in 1975....44 years now!....scared the shit out of me here in Florida...
    I used to dive, or hang with some Shark fisherman, and its an experience to swim with sharks or haul a 200 pound shark from the Surf.
    These days I beach comb and just collect the teeth...

But mostly, some of you might remember the Jaws ride at Universal Studios. I had my store across the street, and my brother
    was running Legal, so I watched from the plans, to the dig, to the construction and testing of the ride. That was a really neat experience!

Looking forward to the Pin! There are new ways to simulate water, it would be nice to see a toy rise from the froth!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #94 5 years ago

I'd so stoked to see Jaws, especially from the likes B. Eddy Only a bit earlier in the year in thread on machines you'd like to see I listed this as top of my list

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:

I'd so stoked to see Jaws, especially from the likes B. Eddy Only a bit earlier in the year in thread on machines you'd like to see I listed this as top of my list

This demographic grew up on Jaws. When cable tv first came in our home, circa 1978, the Starz Channel played it in an endless loop for months. I must’ve watched it 150 times!

#96 5 years ago

If the gameplay, code, art and animations are done well then I don't care if the shark is nothing more than a stagnant ornament on the PF, the novelty of a shark eating pinballs will not save a dull pin, not for me anyway. In a sea of shitty themes this would be greatness. I hope its Eddy and I hope its epic, oh and I hope it happens.

#97 5 years ago

If it's made I'm in for one. It's a great theme and would be a big seller for my friends who like pinball and don't own a game but are waiting for a theme they can relate with. I hope it's actually made.

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I don't see modern Stern putting enough time into a proper mech to do this..

Then just write it here enough time...if your theory is right.

#99 5 years ago

Stern bump for Ben Heck. As he requested.

#100 5 years ago

It's possible the game was being developed without the license officially having been acquired yet. Ballsy, but possible.

There are 291 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jaws-confidence-level/page/2?hl=wcbu64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.