example post by a normal pinball company (resized).jpg
creature mermaid (resized).jpg
IMG_0439 (resized).jpeg
PPSR pg 5 (resized).jpg
PPSR pg 4 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2953 March 2022 Video Update from Haggis with Fathom 2.0 Gameplay Posted by Micky (2 years ago)

Post #7094 Some news Posted by Grantman (41 days ago)

Post #7123 Follow-up email response from Damian Posted by Grantman (40 days ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider twenty84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1850 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Dude - don’t even compare Haggis to Deeproot. It’s not even remotely the same situation. Haggis is producing and selling games, albeit slower than we would like. Deeproot just stole money and made nothing.

I agree the comparison to Deeproot probably isn't the most appropriate. However most of the most he was comparing it to Heighway who made an unlicensed game that had very limited demand (Full Throttle) then took deposits for a second licensed game that people where excited about (Alien). Heighway was well know for his factory floor updates which always seemed to be done when no workers were around, redesiging standard pinball mechs, and long production delays for which he always had some kind of excuse. We all hope the Haggis story ends differently, but so far there are enough parallels that some are getting uncomfortable.

1 month later
#2059 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Certainly not, they can open their own mail. I just have a different attitude to it than the guy complaining.
Just can't see the point in complaining here, it won't accomplish anything.

Unfortunately talking to them directly doesn't seem to accomplish much either. There was a Twitch stream a couple nights ago with a Celts unboxing in PA. HaggisPinball was active in chat as was Marty. Several of us asked about Fathom. He said he is building the ones for the series ticket holders. He was also asked by several of us when Fathom would ship. After a few attempts to dodge that question he made it clear that he would not commit to a shipping date. Every other company seems to enjoy posting pics of games on the line. I came away with the feeling that he is not being honest about the production issues he is facing. A shipped game, pics or video of a finished production game, or even few pics of games on the line might lay these concerns to rest but they have chosen not to take that route.

1 month later
#2989 2 years ago

A few things about this video seem really odd:

1. The majority of the inserts seem not to be used. The bonus light inserts seem not to be used at all except for ambiance. The blue and green mermaid lights that on a regular fathom tell you which mermaid bonus you are building don't seem to do anything but randomly flash.

2. There are no inserts for spelling Fathom, collecting these items, or new the modes they added. Are we supposed to keep track of this stuff just by looking at the little screens?

3. On a regular Fathom when you hit the ball in the scoop the 3 inline drop targets come up. These drop targets are also individually controllable on a Bally Fathom. In this version the ball just gets kicked back out. In fact in the games shown the inline drop targets never come up at all, and thus are never knocked down. Do they have a working inline drop target mech?

#2999 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

How else would you do it?
If you add inserts, then the original version of the game would have useless inserts.
The intention has always been to make the game at original as possible, with an “extended” version as an option. So if you want to go beyond the original simple ruleset you’re going to have to rely on the lcd screen or some other feedback system. I can’t think of a better way that doesn’t interfere with the original game.

The Bally Fathom was a masterpiece and in my opinion the best game of that era. I personally never felt it needed new rules, so I would buy a nice original Fathom and enjoy it. That is what I've done.

But since you asked, if I was going to build a new game based on this layout this is what I would do: 1) I would have bonus and bonus multipliers (as most pins do) and actually use the inserts on the playfield that were meant for that purpose. 2) If the game was going to involve battle with multiple mermaids i'd use the existing blue and green inserts to indicate which mermaid was active. 3) I was going to build a complicated mech that has 3 individually controllable drop targets I'd use this in the new code. 4) I would add inserts for any new modes (e.g. has Beatles did) and if I was spelling something I would add a way to see that such as a topper (e.g. the Beatles or JP topper) or even light the Fathom letters on the backglass.

#3003 2 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Let us know when your done... after all pinball is easy !

As far as I'm concerned the game was done 40+ years ago

1 week later
#3287 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Is that an original topper from Bally? I thought it was just a freebie from a CPR plastic reproduction set. They included some basic toppers in a few of their other plastic sets.

Quoted from flynnibus:

That was the CPR plastic set - not original AFAIK
CPR would fill in extra space on their sheets with custom plastics like this. Did the same thing for Getaway, etc

Quoted from RobertWinter:

That is indeed from the CPR plastic set, not original.
The original Fathom never had a topper from Bally.

I bought the restored Fathom from Tuna_Delight and it is shown in the tour of my game room that Buffalo Pinball did. I can confirm that those plastics came with the original. CPR later did a reproduction of it but the set I have is original and shows some age. With the original there was no way included to mount the plastics which is why they were rarely displayed and little known. I mounted them with addressable LEDs under them that I programmed with an Aduino so it gives the impression of light reflecting off water.

2 months later
#4528 1 year ago

Cappy welcome to pinside and congrats on making your first post. Please do share the details of this picture of a Fathom box.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boerne, TX
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Mccordsville, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Sydney, NSW
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Norco, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider twenty84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jaws-by-haggis-pinball?tu=twenty84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.