20210918_170734 (resized).jpg
20210918_164900 (resized).jpg
20210918_164837 (resized).jpg
20210918_163313 (resized).jpg
20210918_110356 (1) (resized).jpg
20210918_072133 (resized).jpg
20210917_165031 (resized).jpg
20210917_164522 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider punkin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#422 5 months ago

Us aussies have already done a shark theme. Heaps better than Jaws or Sharknado, it's sharks from outer space in the future even.

shark1 (resized).jpg

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=shark&sortby=name&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#3339

#427 5 months ago

I'm waiting for one of these companies doing remakes to do Theatre of Magic. I'm in on preorder for sure.

#524 5 months ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

Anyone know the dimensions of Fathom? Trying to determine if height will allow one to fit in a slotted space!

I can tell you the dimensions of a Bally one? Not sure that's going to be any good to you though.

#621 5 months ago

You'd bloody well hope it felt different to a 40 year old game, other wise what's the fucking point of remaking it if it's exactly the same as one you can still buy?

As i already said, i'm tempted but i have a really nice Fathom here already, if they ever remake a Theatre of Magic, i'm either trading my old one for a new one or having both.

In saying that, there's no two old fathoms that will play exactly the same either, we all know someone like Eddy here in Aus that can get a game tuned to perfection, where I'm doing well if i just get it level every time i move it. New rubbers or different types, slightly changes in angle etc will all make them play differently.

#624 5 months ago

Well said that man.

#650 5 months ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

I’m curious, when all said and done, to know how many of these Fathom 2.0's make their way overseas to North America.

#651 5 months ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Agreed on all counts. Been trolling for a nice one for years as I love the gameplay and think it’s the most beautiful game ever made. Nice ones don’t pop up seemingly ever though. After playing TNA and getting my Beatles I realized that 80s layouts combined with modern everything else is total wheelhouse for me. I think doing these remakes is super smart by Haggis and am rooting for them to be the Aussie Spooky.

Have you played a Sorcerer?

Coolest game ever and the best art on the planet. Think 70's tattoo parlor or biker magazine. Multi ball, speach......

#680 5 months ago

Tried to resist but failed. In for Mermaid.

#683 5 months ago
Quoted from paulbaptise:

How could you resist?? Welcome to the club!

invoice number 305

I have a really nice Bally Fathom is how i thought it would work. But if the Bally holds it's value i'll be upgraded for less than the price of a players condition em. to the latest shiny.

OhhhLOOKShineyPunkin.

#686 5 months ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Pretty impressive package on the mermaid edition. Have they already sold out of mermaid editions?

Hope not, they accepted my order half an hour ago.

#696 5 months ago

I didn't join there club. Don't need stickers and keyrings.

#705 5 months ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

I joined out of respect

Respect is given, not bought.

#732 5 months ago

250 units worldwide will sell anyway i reckon.

#736 5 months ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

I’m sure they will but wouldn’t it be better for the next titles if these ones sold out extremely quick? Get the fomo going for the next titles.

Dunno mate, i have a different business, therefore a different business model.

#742 5 months ago

We have Tim Tams but England has Jaffa Cakes. The undisputed greatest biscuit/cake in the world.

https://www.kerseys.co.uk/jaffa-cakes-cakes-biscuits/#:~:text=During%20the%20court%20battle%20between,recognised%20as%20chocolate%20covered%20cakes.

Bout time the poms started building pinball machines.

#769 5 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Makes me wonder if once more info is out or people get games. If they'll be hard to get ?
LTG : )

Limited to 250 Mermaids. Can't see how they couldn't become hard to get.
On the other hand I'm not sure what will happen to the pricing on my Bally Fathom and i don't need two fathoms.

#771 5 months ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

current au private seller market, 7-10 depending if you want it gone or want to wait for someone who doesnt care what it costs and just wants it.

Yes i'm aware of the current market Doug as i bought the last one i saw. It's the future market after these start shipping i'm unsure of, but it is what it is.

May go up, may go down.

Lotta in's, lotta out's.

#779 5 months ago

How good would this track by The Black Keys be suited to this machine in the 2.0 code? Put it in the multiballs please Damian.

Lyrics
Down in the waves
She screams again
Roar at the door
My mind can't take much more
I could never drown in
They wanna get my
They wanna get my
Gold on the ceiling
I ain't blind
Just a matter of time
Before you steal it
It's alright
Ain't no blood in my eye
Clouds covered love's
Barbed-wire fence
Strung up, strung out
I just can't go without
I could never drown in
They wanna get my
They wanna get my
Gold on the ceiling
I ain't blind
Just a matter of time
Before you steal it
It's alright
Ain't no blood in my eye
They wanna get my
They wanna get my
Gold on the ceiling
I ain't blind
Just a matter of time
Before you steal it
It's alright
Ain't no blood in my eye
Gold on the ceiling
I ain't blind
Just a matter of time
Before you steal it
It's alright
Ain't no blood in my eye

#790 5 months ago
Quoted from bitternerd:

I believe plural of fathom is "fathomi". Or maybe "fathomum". It can't possibly be "fathoms".
Mike (order 245)

It's fathoms on my depthsounder.

1 fathom. /ˈfæðəm/ plural fathoms. Learner's definition of FATHOM. : a unit of length equal to six feet (about 1.8 meters) used especially for measuring the depth of water.

#792 5 months ago
Quoted from bitternerd:

yep. I am just bored and being a dork. cheers!

Thought as much, but my friends call me 'blunt'. I'm not into figuring out subtle

#795 5 months ago

I understand that yeast spreads are an acquired taste, best started before the learning to crawl, but who doesn't like a chocolate biscuit?

I do agree that the Tim Tam is not my first choice in chocolate bickie, but if i had a joint and a glass of milk and a packet of Tim Tams I'd be pretty content.

Edit; much better range nowadays too, mint, orange, dark chocolate etc.

#798 5 months ago

Dog shit is incredibly salty in your imagination? OK.

People can put whatever they want on a hamburger it's their hamburger. Fuck the establishment.

download (3) (resized).jpg

#801 5 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Is this is any indication it's gonna be a looooong wait

Yeah, we may as well amuse ourselves while we wait.

Hey guess what?

I'm getting Judge Dredd on Saturday.

Was following the HEP thread and Chris started doing a blacked out one, it's so bloody good looking i ordered the decals and speaker panel from Europe in Black and then went hunting for a machine. Found one and it's being picked up by Bill's Big Arse Van tomoz! Hope it is an enjoyable game to play.

Yeah and yippee!

#803 5 months ago

If you want to try a real good aussie dish (kiwi's claim it and they are riiiggh riggh righ...) the pav is the hero of dessert. I do like a pecan pie, but i'd step on a pile of them to reach a pav.

australian-pavlova-recipe-ft-2 (resized).jpg

#829 5 months ago
Quoted from rotordave:

PayPal factors their fees into their charges, and don’t tell you about it. They also give you a shitty exchange rate.
If you directly paid $1500 AUD in USD it would be $1167.
The cheapest way (believe me, I send a lot of dough!) is to do an international bank transfer. The cost is the exchange rate factor (usually a point or so) and generally a $15-20 bank fee, depending on the bank.
I use PayPal for low amounts as it’s easy and hassle free. But for anything over say $1000 ... bank transfer.
You’ll all want to set up bank transfers when it comes time to pay the balance. It will save you hundreds of dollars.
rd
[quoted image]

No it's not Dave. I send a lot of money too, if you are paying a business account you will save a lot of cash instead of using bank transfer. Anything over 10k is fee free, fee is only $15 for anything under that and they beat bank exchanges by hundreds of dollars.

https://www.ofx.com

#830 5 months ago

You can see the two biggest bank accounts in comparison at the bottom and the OFX rate in the middle there. It's a full 3 cents above my commonwealth bank rate and no fees instead of $15.

It's nearly $200 cheaper and that's only over 10k. Send 60k and see how much you'll save.

Capture17 (resized).PNG

#839 5 months ago

Used to make vegemite meat pies for the kids when they asked. They preferred coca cola pies made with the syrup though.

Come to think of it, that's tonight's fish and chips with coca cola marinade.

fc15 (resized).jpg

#841 5 months ago
Quoted from FuryosJustin:

My favorite is a marmite (a n.z. variant of Vegemite) fried egg and cheese toasted Sammy.
Give it a try, or not, I've got a weird tase sometimes
Is Vegemite still made out of beer yeast leftovers??

Marmite is an English spread mate. You Kiwi's will claim anything. First it's the pavlova and now Marmite?

#844 5 months ago

102 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite

We make Heinken here under license, but we don't call it an Aussie beer....

#859 5 months ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Its been awhile since I've been on your side of the world, but I still have a fondness for Meat Pies and the beer (won't name specifics as I know it matters what area you are in ) -- My all time favorite though is/was the Violet Crumble Candy.
[quoted image]
I even shipped a carton over to me once or twice.
On the topic of the new Fathom -- I wish Haggis the best and hope they can pull off not only this first game but additional classic titles going forward. Personally I'm a little old school and will be content with my original. . . although I am a bit biased as I spent a decent amount of time and money restoring it to just how I like it.

It's a shame, but you may well have missed the greatest chocolate bar ever made in Australia or maybe anywhere. The Polly Waffle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polly_Waffle

CRuea-nWIAAKNnE (resized).jpg

Although in looking it up there is a story saying it's going to me remarketed for the first time since 2009, ut it was very hard to find for years before that.

#862 5 months ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

A friend of mine brought home a box of Rice Bubbles from a visit to Australia many years ago. He was told that 'Krispie' was a derogatory term there. Any truth to that?[quoted image]

Never heard of Krispy except those delicious doughnuts you guys exported.

The real staple breakfast food here is Weet Bix. Some people move away from it, but they come back to the fold when their taste matures and it's not all about sugar.

300px-Weetbix_Stevage (resized).jpg

#863 5 months ago
Quoted from RTS:

I think the idea of owning a rare and exclusive title can be more appealing than anything specific to the quality of the game-play.
Sometimes it's hard to resist the hype.
[quoted image]

Lucky the game paly is exceptional if they are faithful.

#866 5 months ago

Forgot about vegemite worms. They are the business!

#872 5 months ago
Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

I never did rate Polly Waffle back in the day (and neither did a lot of people, which is why they stopped making it), until a friend of mine crushed a bar, whipped the small pieces into a bowl of vanilla ice cream, and served it to me. Awesome!

Yes i know. There's so many people who don't understand subtlety. They are the ones that bought Picnic's, Violet Crumbles or the godforsaken Choo Choo Bar.
Fuck, I've seen people put Twisties right in their mouths!

Grandkids used to rush out when i'd come back from a week away fishing while i was still unhooking the boat to gloat that they brought Twisties into my house while i was away.

"We ate twisties with Nan! IN YOUR BED!"

#873 5 months ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

I hold Haggis directly responsible for the current direction and status of this thread. if they would just give us even just a snippet of gameplay, maybe a sneak peak of the backglass, even a pic of the leg leveler, ANYTHING to steer this away from Aussie snack items and American's opinions of them. But Nope.... Silence.

Don't worry, we're as keen as you and will stop at the slightest hint of news.

Was even happy when they showed us a reflection of the pinball machine.

#875 5 months ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Oh by the way, I don’t like any of the snacks mentioned. I’d be up for some kangaroo shawarma kabobs, prawns for the barbie and Kobe steaks. It would need to be express air mailed in styrofoam with dry ice and might cost Haggis $250. It would build goodwill but it is not worth it for Haggis to throw so much money at a vip customer. They should also decide against idea of providing cheap snacks. I’d hate for the cabinet builder or programmer to be derailed for days sending out gift baskets instead of making my Fathom.

Have you got a stalker?

Dunno how anyone would downvote that?

Capture18 (resized).PNG

#877 5 months ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

It is PINSIDE and not a manufacturers forum. I am pretty sure Haggis is way to busy fulfilling promises than to feed the curious pinheads on this platform.
In fact I quite like that.
The CEO has a handle on here but reckon he quietly sits back at the end of the day (in his free time) enjoying a frothy and having a laugh at us all speculate what his business should do.
Fxxbook might be your answer for more info, maybe!
or join Clan Haggis?

He should be sending me confirmation of my order and game number (I'll take whatever's leftover) while he's chugging a few down then.

#879 5 months ago

You must be proud to be so important to him. I don't give a fuck what most people say.

#881 5 months ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

I was fed Spam at a friends house once, we never talked again.

Cut it out, that's not an Aussie or Kiwi invention. That's squarely at the foot of you Yanks.

You sure that's what you want to lead with as a United States delicacy? Not BBQ or texmex or Cajun and Creole or something?

#893 5 months ago
Quoted from HaggisPinball:

Also Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs are my Aussie snack of choice.

And you can still buy them at Woolies, they are a regular staple here at pinball comp. I've introduced all my grandkids to them.

Lolly_Gobble_Bliss_Bomb (resized).jpeg

First Q;

Will you be announcing the total number of Mermaids built when you close sales (if you don't reach 250), and will the Mermaid number on the machine reflect that total number instead of -/250?

Also, footnote, i'll take whatever machine number others do not want. 13...66 i don't care.

#903 5 months ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Perhaps if you state something like "We currently have X Canadian sales. If we get up to Y sales we will ship a container to a Cdn Distributor (West coast is Nitro Pinball)."
You may encourage more Canadians to jump on board if we have a solution for shipping.

Isn't there trucks that go there? We ship all over our country too, Melbourne to Perth is 3,500 km's.

#905 5 months ago

Thanks for the explanation. I understand now. LCL may be an option?

I use LCL from China a lot. It's not as cheap as a full container, but it's much cheaper than air freight.

I use Stockwell's here for all my imports and exports, they are pinball people and a family owned business.

https://stockwells.com.au/

#909 5 months ago

Right Then!

#920 5 months ago

Less than a Container Load (LCL) is your savior guys. Damian will sort it out.

You don't need a full container, you can share with other stuff.

#929 5 months ago

I have tanks too, but the water is in bowls.

snake30 (resized).jpg

#974 5 months ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I wish I could up-vote you 4 times.

I'll help.

Why do engineers always feel that they have to tell you what they do for a living?

No-one says "I know all about surfaces because I'm a boilermaker."

#1007 5 months ago

I wish all the companies would make coin doors an option. I don't need one and they look ugly. Just a thumblock for me to release the lockbar please.

STRAYA!

#1011 5 months ago

pb31 (resized).jpg

#1013 5 months ago

Pop out Stern rather than GnR?

crazy_talk-672x372 (resized).jpg

#1028 5 months ago

approx " 6 weeks " all being well , I and about 20 other blokes will let you know at the great DOLBY CELTS unboxing and thrashing!

I'll be playing Aaron's DeprivedFallacy one up here as soon as it's here. Looking forward to it immensely, not least of all that it's a great day out to go to their place and we'll take a crew of Woopi Freeballers!

#1080 5 months ago

Yeah, but we got one!

Can't see these changing hands too often either.

Pretty much everyone who purchased knew what they were getting and weren't taking a gamble on whether they'd like the gameplay or theme integration.

We purchased because we wanted it long term in our collection.

Same as you don't see the CGC remakes changing hands too often over here.

#1085 5 months ago

How big is your dick Ump????

#1094 5 months ago

We have 4 major, soccer (or football as it's properly called), Aussie rules, Rugby League and Rugby Union. That's before you get into gridiron (sorry yanks) and International Rules Football (mix of aussie rules and Gaelic football) and other minor football codes.

Pretty sure our biggest team sport across the country would still be netball though.

#1097 5 months ago

I'm not going to argue with you if you mistakenly think there are only two major leagues in Aus.

Think and say what ever you wish, it's no skin off my nose.

You posted while i was posting Dave. Where the fuck is fishing in that list. It was always #1 when i was a kid.

#1105 5 months ago

Ok mate, settle down. I said i wasn't going to argue with you. It's not as important to me as it is to you.

Thanks for the Houdini i still have it and enjoy it.

#1107 5 months ago
Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:

Oh and seems you haven't grasped how to quote previous posts. fortunately this thread isn't million miles an hour or you can easily miss specific replies if not quoted.

Not.

#1119 4 months ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Crock Juice perhaps

Croc Piss instead?

Troy at FNQ Spirits is a great bloke and all his spirits are made on my equipment. Go Stilldragon!

https://www.fnqspirits.com.au/

DSCF9342[1] (resized).jpg

We are a rum loving nation.

#1121 4 months ago

I drink (way too much) Coopers. It's the largest independently family owned brewery in Australia.

Plus they make proper ales, not stinkin' lagers.

beer3 (resized).jpg

#1127 4 months ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Any man that buys his beer by the pallet is destined to be a friend of mine.

Wasn't you that was coming to mine and then we were heading across the pond to rotordave s place was it?

$500 cheaper that way and i only have to go to the bottlo every 3 months.

#1129 4 months ago

I used to be proud of the bogans a few years ago too.

Was not exceptionally proud when i read firefighters arrived during Munich's Oktoberfest to put out a big fire the aussie contingent started and were driven away again Aussies throwing bottles.

#1133 4 months ago

Wasn't us t started it this time though.

I think Inner Circle is the best of our navy rums, but for me when i drink a rum nowadays it's a Ron Zacapa solera 23 over an ice cube.

Zacapa-Solera-23-Rum (resized).jpg

#1135 4 months ago

Excellent rum for it's price bracket, for sure. Leaves Bundy for dead, any of the Caribbean ones will.

#1141 4 months ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Ale's are completely over-rated - any dickhead can whip up a hipster Ale in their garage. Thats why there's 5000 varieties at the local bottlo. Pilsner or other hoppy Lagers are the way to go. Too hard to make for the average brewer though.

Well, that's one view of the history of beer.

I have to agree that a well made pilsner can be refreshing, as can an IPL. Summers afternoon in a beachside beer garden, sure. One. Maybe two if they are good.

But i couldn't drink that clean lolly water all day. I like to chew my beer and it is a major part of my diet. No-one's ever lived on lager alone, unlike ale.

#1147 4 months ago
Quoted from Jakusu:

Scotch, well Scotland has it nailed.

Don't tell the Tasmanians, they think they are winning world class medals. Sullivan's Cove believe they are the only distillery in the world to win worlds Best Single Malt twice.
Don't shatter their delusions.

Captureb (resized).PNG

#1156 4 months ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Am I missing something? Australia had like 10 cases of covid yesterday WTF are you in lock down?

That is why we have ten cases instead of ten's of thousands.

We actually trust the government to do the right thing by us.

#1157 4 months ago
Quoted from Screwloose:

Melbourne now in 1 week Covid lockdown. Lets hope they locked the Haggis boys in the factory.

They should get out of cold Melbourne and bring their factory to the north coast of NSW. I could have moved my business anywhere in Australia i wanted 4 years ago, not sorry i chose here.

#1170 4 months ago
Quoted from Screwloose:

Mid & North coast NSW..... God's Country! I have no desire to live anywhere else.
And you know what the best thing is? There are people that will deliver pinballs here we don't need to go anywhere else.

Yessir, Bill and his crew stop in here just for a coffee and to say hello quite often.,

The weather here is so good i don't own a heater or an air-conditioner. When it gets real hot i just turn the fan up to 2.
Or go round the corner to the beach.

#1171 4 months ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

That's crazy talk.

It's why we vote them in mate.

To run the fucking show.

#1190 4 months ago

I got 69 for CELTS and another term form 69 in Fathom #181
Yes also birth year

We do it in Holden models in my circles.

I'm an EH, you'd be a HK young fella.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/holden%C2%A0history-timeline-all-the-biggest-hits-and-misses-from-1856-2020-78134

#1199 4 months ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Nitro still shows some in stock!

EJ holdens?

#1201 4 months ago
Quoted from Screwloose:

>
"If it ain't chrome it ain't comin home"

Shit, should have got a standard then, the mermaids are brushed stainless.

#1203 4 months ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

This is joking around?

Sorry, the standard are brushed stainless and the mermaids are mirrored. My mistake was thinking standard was chrome.

#1207 4 months ago

I got another order confirmation, but still no game #. That's fine though as it's unimportant to me.

#1209 4 months ago

July is smack bang in the middle of winter here. I think you mean late in the year?

#1212 4 months ago

I understand too, it's just good to remember there's a global audience to your comments.

#1214 4 months ago

Well done.

#1229 4 months ago

#161 said the email from Martin this morning.

Yippee

#1239 4 months ago

Speculation may be correct that if you said you didn't give rats arse about game numbers you were advised last as that's what seemed to happen in my case, but the rest i don't know about.

#1244 4 months ago

33 in a 20' so i assume it would be 66 in a 40'HC.

#1258 4 months ago
Quoted from Screwloose:

If I lived in Geelong I would happily drive to Melbourne to pick my machine up.
lol I'm thinking about driving from Taree to pick it up in my Brumby.

Then you don't get to have a chat to Bill though.

#1264 4 months ago

please-please-child (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1291 3 months ago

It's mirror polished stainless on the mermaids and brushed stainless on the classics. The cost in aussie dollars is <= a stern pro, so i don't know how it could get 50% cheaper.

#1295 3 months ago

So go halves in one with a mate. Problem solved.

#1298 3 months ago

You must really know your shit if you can figure out the manufacturing cost in another country for a bill of materials from unknown suppliers and then know what the pricing structure should be to keep a fledgling company afloat and pay back development and ongoing costs in one of the most expensive cities in Australia.

I can't compete with that. I only know that the Fathom Classic is the same price as a Stern poput pro here and the Mermaid is the more that a thousand dollars cheaper than a Stern Premium, but i get free delivery instead of paying $300. They are also doing free delivery stateside to your distributor, which no US company does for us over here as far as i'm aware.

Despite the welcome lack of ramps it's still a pinball machine that needs to be built.

A GnRle is $16,850au ex Melbourne here. A Mermaid is $11,500 delivered. Is that 50% less expensive?

#1301 3 months ago

Lotta fucking money in any case.

#1303 3 months ago
Quoted from Screwloose:

You would have to spend a shitload of money on an original to get it anywhere near this machine.

Yes. point right there. I have a Beautiful Fathom already. It's worth 7 or 8k second hand here to the right buyer.
I couldn't get it to the new game stage for less than 4 or 5 k to pay someone to do it, and no way i can take on a project like that alone.

So i'm at 14k allup to restore the one i have or spend the $11,500au on a new one. Mermaid edition no less.

#1325 3 months ago
Quoted from Screwloose:

I have a few photos of Fathom too. But they are soft porn strickly for personal use only.

You should make the run up the coast one Sunday for comp here mate. It's only 2.5 hours.

https://www.facebook.com/people/Woopi-Freeballers-Inc/100057337875131/

#1327 3 months ago
Quoted from gprotein:

Come on, what a tease! Let’s post them and share

I'd say he's been politely asked not to.

#1332 3 months ago
Quoted from Screwloose:

That sounds like a great idea.

Give me a PM or connect through the book when you are ready and i'll give you the addy. There's a spare flat with bathroom here too if you want to have a few beers and crash the night.

#1334 3 months ago

Sure thing.

#1338 3 months ago

Yeah that's how it works. I expanded 5 times in 6 years. Last two were organic expansion as i took over more units in the same building, so not as painful thankfully.

GottaCrawlBeforeYouWalkPunkin

#1340 3 months ago

I wish you could order machines without a coin door. Just art and a thumblock for the lockdown bar.

At least offer it as an option guys. It will save you money by not doing it and i'll pay the same price.

Hell, i'd buy conversion panels for all my machines.

#1346 3 months ago

Put the menu buttons under the lockdown bar please. One thumb lock lets the bar up, menu accessible, glass off if you want in the cab.

#1347 3 months ago

I like it with coin door as I put my loose change in to play so you get the coins drop sound and also helps with upkeep costs and deposit for future " STUFF "
I have a note accept on my BBH so it helps with the video game side

I remember that you charge your friends to play, so you order the non HUO one with the coin door.

#1349 3 months ago

All my mates are tight arses! I have to pay them to play with me

Little bit of friend money goes a long way!

#1355 3 months ago

I'd rather all new machines come with the option.

Can't see how it hurts you guys who want a redundant coin door on your HUO machines if someone else orders it without one?

It's not cause i'm Australian, and i never played them back in the day and have no sentimental attachment to it. It's cause they are ugly, hide the front art almost completely, are redundant for my use and add cost.

Thumblock for lockdown bar and menu buttons under the lockdown bar please for me. Coin door for those who order it with one.

Do a prototype Mermaid for me like this please Damian and i'll buy you a big box of Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs. You might start a pinball revolution and actually have them look boutique.

#1357 3 months ago

We'll see.

Can't be harder than adding additional playfields and writing separate software for each model.

Spooky already offers different cab options with the butter ones.

#1360 3 months ago

All i see is people saying i don't want it, so you shouldn't have it either. Saw plenty of that selfish attitude in my union days.

I am not saying any of the things you attribute to me. I never said that i thought we were the largest part of the market. It's not like someone going to caterpillar and asking for 5 different things in any way.

If it increases costs to not cut a hole in the front panel before you glue it on, then not add a large coin door with a stack of wiring, lights, coin mechs etc and just put a different decal on it instead then someone is doing something very wrong.
If it does increase costs, then i'll pay the extra costs.

You guys are defending this notion just out of being sticklers to what came before. If we listened to you guys, we'd still be going round the front to crank our cars in the morning.

There is zero risk or impact to you if my machine is different. It's not a commercial machine if i buy it for home use.

I'll tell you another thing too, just to play into your hands. In my area (Coffs to Grafton) i know of at least 200 machines in home use. I also know the local operators and in the same area there is about twenty machines or less that you can play in public locations.
However that isn't my point, it's that it could be a cheap option for those who want it.

If it upsets the purists, well fuckin good!

#1365 3 months ago

I don't believe i'm breezing past hidden costs. I'm saying there are much more costs involved in some of the options we get from all manufacturers now. Different vinyl, additional playfield, 3 lots of different art work on cabs, 2 lots of code, additional mechs and ramps. They are already doing all this in small numbers, all of them. No-ones getting a pro with an extra playfield because they made a mistake on the assy line.
No-ones getting butter cabs by mistake.

Yes, it would cost money to get the artist to do the small additional artwork. Yes it would cost a one of fee for the engineering to leave a space in the lock bar assy for buttons and the additional one off cnc programming, but that is offset by less material costs.

And as i've said, i'm prepared to pay some additional costs if that proved more exe.

There's more than one argument going against the idea, there's your costs stretch (and it is a stretch), but there is also the tradition guys saying they don't want it changed.
Good, don't get it changed!

Leave those of us who do want it simpler, prettier and with less to go wrong to our own selves.

And yes, i'm advocating for this to start at boutique level. If it's a good idea and it's in demand, the big guys will just steal the idea anyway. If it's not in demand then it'll fade away.

The thing that makes no sense is all the people arguing against the idea of someone else having something they don't want and won't get........

#1367 3 months ago

I agree, it would change your resale value. There are the traditional coin op markets, but they are really small in Australia outside the major cities. Some pubs will have a machine or two, there are still the odd arcades outside major cities, but fuck all. There are also the collectors (as has been shown very strongly here) who want that look.

It would take longer to find a trade or to sell i believe because these two segments are larger. It doesn't automatically follow that the resale would be lower though. I, for one, would pay a premium for more art and less redundant clutter.

I am enjoying the discussion on the whole though.

I'd like to hear what a pinball company thinks about the idea, so hopefully Damian will give his thoughts on the subject next time he's posting here. That's the defining view.

#1368 3 months ago
Quoted from roar:

Well I don't want to make that argument .
Any of the current changes people can make to their pins... butter cabinets is a great example... are part of the plan... part of an agreed upon workflow, pulling the coin door isn't part of that plan (But it certainly can be!) so I think that is where the opportunity for people screwing it up comes in my mind and the costs we both agree are there and you're willing to pay in this instance wouldn't make the juice worth the squeeze to me.
I hope you get your cab without the coin door, I'd love to see what they did with the artwork there.

I'd have a stiffy for 3 weeks if it did happen on my Mermaid, but i'm throwing the idea out for discussion and as a wishlist rather than really asking for a one off custom (please, please, please).

As we both agree, Haggis is the most likely to do it, although i'm sure it's too late for this run.

#1370 3 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

You would be paying extra to get it with no coin door mostly because there would be so very few people who want it to divide the one-off expenses. Plus the extra cost of different wiring harnesses and all the other related different hardware. Especially with a classic game like Fathom from an era that no one had HUO games, I would bet less than one person in 50 would elect to not have a coin door even if it cost a little less instead of more.
Personally I would rather have a swift kick in the nuts than give up the coin door. Just last night I went into the coin door on my TX sector to look at the manual and put it back later. I opened the coin door on GoT to put some parts in that I will install the next time I am working on the game, so they won't get lost. I also went into the backbox on LZ to look at which connectors are empty for power for future mods; which required me to open the coin door to get the backbox key. So the coin door is a quick storage spot that doesn't require removing the lockbar, playfield glass and raising the playfield to get too. Storing certain items outside the machine = losing those items because they are not in the machine where they belong.
The other point is that I have sold a few games to operators! Who wants to limit their secondary market for something as silly as this? They would literally have to cut a hole to put a coin door in.
Seriously if this crusade is so important then sell it as a mod. A piece of wood cut to just the right size with artwork and hinges already installed...

I can put my stuff in drawers. There would be no need for a backbox key (use a thumblock if you need a lock for some reason) and most machines/products are moving away from printed manuals that could be put in a drawer in a file in any case and going PDF. My last NIB, GnR hasn't got one, that's for sure.

It's not a crusade, it's an idea for an option. I want to limit my secondary market for something as silly as you think this is. You might be surprised at how many others would too.
Don't want it? Don't get it!

You've probably got a mate, get him to give you a kick in the nuts AND keep your coin door, best of both worlds for you. If you are near Palm Beach i'll get my mate to come kick you in the nuts, you'll both enjoy it.

Your arguments are not the well thought out ideas being floated above, it's just i don't want it so you shouldn't have it. The wiring harness would be changed by removing the bits that are not needed

#1372 3 months ago

Yes, it's a terrible idea because??????

Because you don't want it. Just because it doesn't suit you doesn't make it terrible.

The only reason i am reiterating is because people keep saying it shouldn't/couldn't happen, not because i want to keep floating it. I know it's unlikely to happen in the immediate future, but the manufacturers of products DO pay attention to people asking for improvements or floating ideas, even if for their own reasons they don't implement them.

You have no skin in it, so why bother saying it's terrible? It's not terrible, just different to what you are used to.
I think people putting Barbie and Ken and Batman and Robin, planes and cars all over their playfield distracts enormously from the machines resale and it makes it look like a dolls house and they spend hundreds of dollars doing it. But i don't tell them not to do it or that it's terrible. Fuck there's people here who spend money getting the boxes their pinball machines come in framed.

Larry is not so big, spose he has cowboy boots, but he IS into karate, so would be right up your nut kicking alley.

#1374 3 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Did you just not see Spooky REMOVE build-to-order from their new product release? Any idea why that was?

No i didn't. Do you KNOW why that was?

Or are you speculating like all the other experts on here who have more idea on how to run their business than the manufacturers.

Some people may say that the level of opposition to change is a very good reason for exploring an idea. Not for implementing it, but for considering it.

And i have not seen a good reason for not implementing it, much less considering it, yet from the benches.

Only resistance to change.

#1377 3 months ago
Quoted from Brk_oth:Removing the coin door has been done many times over the decades, it has failed every single time.
At the end of the day this is a classic remake of a classic game, the whole point of it is to try to recreate the original classic game, removing a huge visual element like a coin door would drastically change the look of the game, which is something you wouldn't want to do in a remake. People seem to accept little changes and modern day improvements, but you would cut out almost all the classic remake buyers if you deviate too much from the original.
People have already posted an alternative for you - buy a blank coin door and get it painted.
For a company that is only just starting out you want to keep things as simple as possible, you don't want to start adding heaps of customisation.

Once again, i'll repeat myself for those with poor comprehension. It would not cut out a single classic remake buyer as you argue if it was an option, now would it?

I'll also repeat that i don't expect it would be retrofitted to a machine thats about to go into production either, i'm just suggesting this is something i'd like to see as an option, one of the main reasons i am into pinball is for the art, and there is zero art in a coin door as big as a milk crate. The front of the machine and the backglass are what you see when approaching a pinball.
Repeating once again, that the only possible reason anyone could have to argue against it being an option is resistance to change. You'd still be able to order with the coin door for fucks sake.

Twin LCD screens in the apron is hardly classic either is it?

A painted coin door is not an alternative to no coin door mate.

#1380 3 months ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

I actually think the chromed coin door on the ME is astheticly pleasing.

Mirrored Stainless you mean?

Yes it is pretty.

1 week later
#1414 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Well, I guess it goes right along with our larger than average jock straps also!

I think it has something to do with this stuff.

homoslackus1 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1451 89 days ago

I know, I just AM A Muppet

#1453 87 days ago

I hereby apologise for my crime of altering a quote and making a joke that the other participant got.

Guess it's an aussie thing.

Sorry to those offended.

#1456 87 days ago

I don't mind, us Aussies love to take the piss and the world just need to adhere to our speech. After all we do it for the queer folk out there

I know mate.

#1458 87 days ago

I use OFX all the time to send US$ to China, really good rates compared to the big banks.

#1478 83 days ago

I have a mate in Coffs Harbour who is selling his only machine, a EBD. He want's 10k for it.

#1488 81 days ago

I have a mate in Coffs Harbour who is selling his only machine, a EBD. He want's 10k for it.

That's like the definition of what's annoying me right now in Aus, even 80's stuff going for stupid money compared to US. Trying to help my mate buy his first pin and he's wanting something like his 80's('79) fav Stellar Wars, but even those old things are overpriced.

yeah just got my mates first pin delivered here by Trent on Sat morn.
$6kau for a Black night 2000.

#1492 81 days ago

It makes sense to import from the east coast of the US for some machines that are rare or highly valued here. Same going the other way.

Machines like EBD do come up though and not always at crazy money.

My restored Sorcerer came from a great pinsider in Cali, but i've only ever seen one basket case for sale here in the 3 years i've been collecting.

#1495 80 days ago

This is the quote i got from MM this morning $US to me;

Thanks Gerry, if this moves ocean keep it as one pallet, if it moves

air it needs to be split to two pieces, the pallet and the carton. Based

on that, we can offer door to door, insured *:

AIR: $3,245 * (about one week overall transit)

If just to arrival Brisbane airport = $1,845 insured

OCEAN: $2,135 * (congestion now, estimating 8 weeks overall transit)

If just to arrival Brisbane port = $885 insured

* excludes duties/taxes/exam/GST as they may apply.

#1497 79 days ago

I'm saying you can go through a freight and customs forward like I know and land a machine here between $500 and $800 -not talking with GST. I used to use Fedex freight for around $500 but like 15 years ago, but obviously not these days - no point in adding the cost if you're trying bring the cost of the whole exercise down. Nothing 'illegally mixed' as you put it, this from a large scale Freight Forwarding provider.

Yeah, i know who you mean, and i use them all the time for shipments from China.

I'll give Stockwells a chance at my P3 too, they should be able to beat the above.

#1500 79 days ago

I'm saying you can go through a freight and customs forward like I know and land a machine here between $500 and $800 -not talking with GST. I used to use Fedex freight for around $500 but like 15 years ago, but obviously not these days - no point in adding the cost if you're trying bring the cost of the whole exercise down. Nothing 'illegally mixed' as you put it, this from a large scale Freight Forwarding provider.

Yeah, i know who you mean, and i use them all the time for shipments from China.

I'll give Stockwells a chance at my P3 too, they should be able to beat the above.

Quoted from DirtyDeeds:

There's a Stellar Wars on Ebay and Gumtree for $3.5 but it's in Perth and looks like the seller just wants to sell local.

Joe at Kids Just Wanna Have Fun can help you. Great service.

Not sure if we know and use the exact same company. I'm talking about PCFS in Sydney is who I use.

Gotcha. Just I know there's a pinball guy that is my company too.

#1521 78 days ago

Fuckin' what???

#1532 77 days ago

Some of them look like blokes.

#1534 76 days ago

If it's Jersey Jack i'm out and want a refund. That man is no good.

#1537 76 days ago

You wouldn't like the CGC thread then Andy

They are all owed something there.

2 weeks later
#1578 60 days ago

They haven't started shipping the pinball machine they sold before this one.

Don't go getting excited now girls.

1 week later
#1586 47 days ago

In the final stages of negotiation to sell my Bally Fathom. Dunno if i'll ever find one as nice again.

Banking everything on you Damian and team.

1 week later
#1594 37 days ago

Cheers it's waiting here with the Black Hole for pickup and to make a stack of new people very happy.

Bring on the Mermaid i say.

Are you Haggis guys still taking a mermaid to Pinfest Damian?

#1604 34 days ago

Interested to know your feelings on the way the playfield plays and which playfield material you all went with?

1 week later
#1618 23 days ago

I sold my Bally Centaur and kept my Fathom. Just saying.

#1620 23 days ago

Both very similar in play style (along with Flash that i also sold) so i felt i only wanted to keep one.
Both fantastic art, both with their dark sides.
Play was slightly better on Fathom IMO and i like the art at least as much if not more, so that's how it got the nod to stay. Has since left as it was the right time to sell (assuming Mermaid comes off).

#1623 22 days ago
Quoted from Micky:

No you didn't. You said you have sold your fathom too.

Yes indeed i did. I have SINCE sold my Bally fathom, but the story is true. I sold Centaur last year and only sold Fathom a couple of weeks ago because i have a Mermaid coming. If not for the Mermaid i would not have sold Fathom at all.

2 weeks later
#1644 8 days ago

you're being a tad too technical Dodgy me ol m8

Tiz his thing. You knew that before you responded.

#1656 7 days ago

Everything is so literal here. The guy was outlining the unique challenges they'd faced and how they'd solved it. I don't recall him saying that's what they've been doing this week or last week, just that it's a challenge they had to solve.

It's smoke and mirrors misdirection. Look at this and talk about this and don't worry about that other stuff you've been saying.

He had no news to impart other than the numbers of Celts that have been done and those that are still to be done and the fact that after that they will be focusing on Fathom.

I'd like to know what the schedule is? Will they be doing Mermaids first or will they be doing them simultaneously?

The Celts numbers were interesting, that game is going to be really rare in the future. i didn't know it was such a small run, hard to see how it's paying the bills.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider punkin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside