IMG_4536 (resized).jpeg
432458935_10161391757882700_9203589995855484710_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240315_080654_Outlook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240315_080645_Outlook (resized).jpg
IMG_0323 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2953 March 2022 Video Update from Haggis with Fathom 2.0 Gameplay Posted by Micky (2 years ago)

Post #7094 Some news Posted by Grantman (68 days ago)

Post #7123 Follow-up email response from Damian Posted by Grantman (68 days ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lachied.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 3 years ago

If it isn't Jaws but is some other Fishing based game then I'd say it's been pretty good marketing knowing the Jaws hint would get us talking.

#296 2 years ago

Reflectocab is a new technique that is very hard to describe but looks amazing. Similar to what is used on street signs to assist with reading at night time.
The cabinet looks like it is glowing from backlighting when in a dark room.

#342 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Maybe you guys can help me out with this.
I’ve mostly played modern games the oldest pin I’ve owned was BOP. I’ve played some 70/80s pins but not a lot. I recently played Centaur and really liked that. But I’ve not played Fathom ever. But it’s something I’ve thought that I’d love to own because of its reputation and the art is great. But I’ve really been shy from buying old pins and love the new stuff (remakes) love AFM how it is old school but has modern touches. Now Fathom will have both old and new code that’s something I really love.
I’m asking if I should take the chance and order one never having played a Fathom. Now it’s rare so maybe if I don’t love it that’s not a huge deal to sell it.
I’m getting Alien and was thinking about a new Stern but that’s the same story, I can always get a Stern later they will run them for years, but the Fathom is super rare.
I guess my pros / cons
Pro
-Beautiful game (unlike the rest of my collection)
-Rare
-Game is a classic (one of the better 80s games)
- Two sets of rules
Cons
-Never played it
-unknown new company
-Kind of expensive
I’m just curious especially for folks that have owned or played Fathom a lot if it’s a great game? Any advice? I’ve played Beatles and Whoa Nelly (not the biggest fan of Whoa Nelly but liked the Beatles more).
Thanks.

Despite being a single level playfield there is a decent amount going on with this game. It has a LOT of drop targets, there is a reason why most modern games tend to feature stand up targets over drops. They are very expensive and complex mechanism, but they are so much more rewarding to hit.

A friend has the original Fathom and I really enjoyed it. The additional rules 2.0 that come with the Mermaid Edition would increase the depth of the game and make it even more fun.

10 months later
#3029 2 years ago

Good to see a flipping video. All my hard work finally seeing the light of day.

#3031 2 years ago

70% of it probably!!
All the CAD work for cabinet, mechs, playfield.
Designs for updated mechs, PCBs.

3 months later
#4932 1 year ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

Interesting. What caused them to part ways?

An even bigger story there with more chapters.
I guess the polite way to put it would be a difference in how things should be done.

Given everything that had happened at Haggis in the last year I'm honestly surprised that machines are actually going out.
Very happy for the customers.

#4933 1 year ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

yep i know ....
In the early days of 'Haggis' Damian was contacted by a custom pinball restorer here (a huge classic bally fan) about supplying their paintwork/artwork/printing/cabinets etc.
he taught a still "very new to pinball" Damian about these "old" bally machines, explained why he believed them to be the golden era and suggested there would be a market to remake these classics…
While working on Celts and developing fathom he setup a "bally" room with the machine options for the 5 series to show the rest of the haggis team so they could all be played and options compared
It will be interesting to see haggis future offerings now they're no longer working together and dont have the same experience backing them for the others in the series.
making pinball is hard.

Sounds like you personally know this person.

I'm very keen to see who designs the next game.

1 week later
#4949 1 year ago

That means they are probably averaging 1 a week which isn't great for those at the tail end of the queue.

1 month later
#5244 1 year ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Seems like my 3 Fathoms-a-week estimate is pretty close then. I hope Haggis can pick up the pace eventually, cuz it'll take 2 years to finish all 250 at this rate of manufacture.

Dont you mean 3 a month? We are in 8th month and if they only have 20 or so made. 3 a week would be closer to 90 machines made.
So the pace is worse than you mention. It is more like 5 years+

2 months later
#5659 1 year ago

Wow so it looks like they are requesting payment for 100+ machines ahead of where they are upto.
I guess they will be hitting up season ticket holders for payment of Centaur to help finish off the last 150 in about 3 years!

2 weeks later
#5722 1 year ago
Quoted from frobozz:

My one comment on the software after playing it at Expo is they have to work on the UI basics on the 7 segment score displays. When you hit start, player one display should be lit up with 00 and the other 3 blank. As you add players, 00 should appear in each successive player score window. When it's a player's turn their score should blink. None of that was happening, so we were having a really hard time starting multiplayer games or knowing who was up. Admittedly, I think this information was probably discernable on the teeny tiny apron displays with the itty-bitty fonts, but come on, at least get the traditional displays behaving right first.
Anyone have close-up pics of the mechs underneath? (I'll go look back through this thread in a moment.) I'm curious if they simply repro'd the old Bally inline drop mech, or came up with something more clever. Also, the flippers felt like the bad old Bally linear mechs; surely nobody would actually bother reproing those? Maybe it was just "show fade" ?

The flipper mechs are modern WPC. Flipper strength would be adjustable in code, there could be some show fade but by default they should be snappy.
The drop target mechs were kept fairly consistent with the original ones because we were using the same targets. I created an opto board to replace the switches for sensing when they are down and instead of using a coil + plunger solution to drop the inlines in code, that is done with a magnet and arm (similar to other modern 'smart' drop targets).

#5725 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Thanks for clarifying lachied . Curious did you ever get this bad boy flipping?.....
[quoted image][quoted image]

It went on the back burner while doing Haggis stuff. But...
Working on it currently. Tweaking some of the shots a bit because geometry was a bit tight but it is staying roughly the same. Hopefully have my 2nd WW cut before the end of the year and can fine tune and start coding modes etc...

1 month later
#5974 1 year ago
Quoted from dscapo:

I believe the next machine is a Marty Robbins original title. Gleaned that from the interwebs awhile back.

I'd be very surprised if War of the Worlds gets actually made. Other than MR and Damien the rest of the team that started work on that machine is no longer at Haggis. And there is currently no-one there who could pick up the CAD work. They'd likely be starting from scratch for that machine.

1 year later
#7118 68 days ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

"To support this change, we will need to further slow down production activities, recapitalize, and refocus our procurement strategies and partner offerings."
Looks like Martin's War of the Worlds pin is doubtful.

That was always doubtful when it got pushed back for Fathom. That was still in early stages and without anyone to do the mech/CAD work (I dont think they have hired anyone recently on that front) it wont have been touched in the last 2 years. I'm surprised Centaur even got announced. But then again that was just re-using all the Fathom mechs but putting them in different places. There is only so long that the company can keep going without significant money company. I would have expected a message like this sometime last year.

2 weeks later
#7391 54 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Why? He's still re-engineering all the parts. He's still recreating all the art. He's still sourcing everything the same as new games.
The only discount is on the creative loop. Everything else they still have to create, prototype, test, and manufacture like a new game. By going with his unique platform - he can't reuse old stuff... and the stuff that is re-used (art) isn't produced the same way as it was 50yrs ago either.

Yep. Exactly. All the CAD had to be done to cut the playfield. It was definitely cheaper to design/cut/bend and assemble their own mechs than try to source those older parts.
The issue was with staffing/labour. When they had peak staff they weren't ready to be pumping out 50 a month. Then 6-12 months after moving into the factory I dont believe there was enough staff there to be doing any reasonable number of games to still not be bleeding capital. There weren't ill intentions or a scheme to take peoples money but I think it was managed poorly and people were mislead as to where Haggis was at and their capability to produce a decent amount in a small time frame.
Given Australia's labour costs I'm not sure the manufacturing side should have been attempted here. It may have worked better if the design/prototype was done in Aus and then the rest done in China.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Sydney, NSW
9,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Worth, TX
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reston, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lachied.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jaws-by-haggis-pinball?tu=lachied and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.