IMG_4536 (resized).jpeg
432458935_10161391757882700_9203589995855484710_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240315_080654_Outlook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240315_080645_Outlook (resized).jpg
IMG_0323 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2953 March 2022 Video Update from Haggis with Fathom 2.0 Gameplay Posted by Micky (2 years ago)

Post #7094 Some news Posted by Grantman (67 days ago)

Post #7123 Follow-up email response from Damian Posted by Grantman (67 days ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Our_Man_in_Oz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#321 2 years ago

Was so stoked to see the boys get this license. For once an Aussie company doing something really cool, aside from the first original IP title. Literally the one classic pin I've nearly bought a bunch of times now. The idea of nothing more than interstate freight from the factory is so novel!! Now I know what all the US members take for granted lol (well from the distrib of course).

1 week later
#767 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I really want to go in on one but the price is just hard to deal with for an 80s pin. I do think they have it priced right though given the current market and the cost of wood and various parts shortages that is becoming the norm today.

The whole, but it's an 80's pin argument just doesn't gel with me given the reality that we are remaking an 80's design pin today, at today's manufacturing costs (in Australia not America or anywhere else). Yes a modern designed, 80's style pin like TNA cost $US6000 in 2017 by Spooky, but that is now 4 years ago and I'm quite sure Haggis' production costs here in Aus are significantly higher all round than Spooky's were then and probably still nowadays. The other salient point with Fathom is, seriously go out and try to buy a fully restored Fathom (with say a CPR playfield etc) for less than $US6.5-7.5K as it is. It's not massive overs for a brand new version with all new modern tech in it.

1 week later
#930 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Thanks for the explanation. I understand now. LCL may be an option?
I use LCL from China a lot. It's not as cheap as a full container, but it's much cheaper than air freight.
I use Stockwell's here for all my imports and exports, they are pinball people and a family owned business.
https://stockwells.com.au/

I use PCFS.com.au .They're top guys and have looked after my pinball imports from the US. Handled my TWD premium import a little while back brilliant, very quick for Sea, fast clearance, and excellent rates. Used to use Shipporter but their rates can't compete.

#980 2 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Having owned AFMRLE, MMRLE and MBRLE and owned fully restored originals, give me a remake any day.
I prefer them and I’m like you and hoping for this to be better/different. It’s a good thing but just my personal opinion. I know there are always going to be the purists. The beauty of these new remakes is that there is room for both in the hobby. I think CGC proved that. Good luck to Damian and Haggis with this and future endeavours.

My thought as well having also owned those three originals and two remakes being MMR and AFMRLE. I had a NIB AFM back in the day too and very mint MB. My MM had a perfect pf buy few small niggles on the cabinet. I had zero hesitation sending it to be sold and replacing it with MMR.

#1012 2 years ago
Quoted from Chambo:

I’m just jumping in here because I’m an Aussie too
Congrats to all buyers. Personally, I’m torn - and short of cash after LZ and GNR

Another reason I'm now happy to have skipped both those two Rock themed pins. Mermaid and now Mando (possibly LE).

#1059 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Pop out Stern rather than GnR?
[quoted image]

Yeah no Rock theme pins for me(regardless of amazing gameplay, design, features etc etc) with the single exception I'll import a BIBLE one of these days.

#1087 2 years ago

Congrats Haggis!! You guys nailed it!

And for those Americans who don't realise we have two major Football codes in Aus . Oh and the other guys got rid of those stupid umpire outfits like nearly 2 decades ago .
one-referee-nrl (resized).jpgone-referee-nrl (resized).jpg

#1090 2 years ago

I said major....calling soccer a major football code here is like calling it major in the US

#1092 2 years ago
Quoted from ausretrogamer:

It’s the real football, as the rest of the world calls it.

Yeah Except us and the USA. Happy to be in that camp lol.

#1095 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

We have 4 major, soccer (or football as it's properly called), Aussie rules, Rugby League and Rugby Union. That's before you get into gridiron (sorry yanks) and International Rules Football (mix of aussie rules and Gaelic football) and other minor football codes.
Pretty sure our biggest team sport across the country would still be netball though.

We have 2 dominant codes which soak up followers, AFL and NRL. Just look at the viewership stats across all platforms.. Talking about the other codes down from there after Soccer and Union is like talking about the alt codes in the US ie Soccer, Union, and way down the line but operating (like gridiron here) Rugby League.

#1100 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

I'm not going to argue with you if you mistakenly think there are only two major leagues in Aus.
Think and say what ever you wish, it's no skin off my nose.
You posted while i was posting Dave. Where the fuck is fishing in that list. It was always #1 when i was a kid.

If you think those other two are 'Majors' in audience than go right ahead, I think the measurements would disagree but what do I know hey, I'm just the bloke who tried to help you when bought my Houdini had all those issues all of sudden with it .

Quoted from rotordave:

Lol.
Almost twice as many people play “soccer” in Aussie as League, AFL and rugby put together.
It’s the same here.
Basketball is the biggest growing sport there and here. All the kids are playing it.
rd[quoted image]

LMFAO How did I know I was also going to have to state that I was NOT referring to PARTICIPATION, but audiences ... Many participate in the US too. Participation is high thanks so many parents being too scared to let their kiddies play contact sport. I used to play it too, at age 7-8 till I got bored with it and never watched a game since like a lot of people who played it as kids. Basketball is exactly the same since it doesn't have the contact sport issues associated with it. The A-League was so popular with TV audiences, it ended up only broadcast on PayTV and streaming.

#1106 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Ok mate, settle down. I said i wasn't going to argue with you. It's not as important to me as it is to you.
Thanks for the Houdini i still have it and enjoy it.

Lol, man you are an interesting dude, just as per what Bill mentioned when he picked up Houdini. I wasn't arguing by any stretch, it's just off topic banter mate, seriously . Oh and seems you haven't grasped how to quote previous posts. fortunately this thread isn't million miles an hour or you can easily miss specific replies if not quoted.

Very pleased you're still enjoying Houdini, I haven't had any interest in the other AP titles since that one myself. It wasn't bad, but just not enough to stay in my collection long term.

Now back to how awesome Fathom is going be

#1109 2 years ago

Or do you like to pass a comment back minus the quote in the hopes of people still linking it to the OP but hoping the poster doesn't notice it and comment back

#1131 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

So, I'm loving the mash up of American Bally Fathom being made by Haggis in Australia.
You guys have any Aussie drink recommendations for me for when I get this game? I'm a beer, whiskey and vodka drinker but also open to try something original.

Cooper's Pale Ale for beer. I love rum too but whatever you do make sure you don't drink Bundaberg Rum, pure molassesy filth. There are quite a few small makers emerging now whom I'm sure are pretty good, but I just haven't gotten around to trying them over my penchant for Caribbean rum as yet. You could have look here though for ideas and then see if they are sold in the US : https://www.nicks.com.au/store/spirits-liqueurs/rum-cachaca?dir=desc&order=score&region_country=13013

Quoted from punkin:

I drink (way too much) Coopers. It's the largest independently family owned brewery in Australia.
Plus they make proper ales, not stinkin' lagers.
[quoted image]

You beat me to it. Coopers all the way man! Just give me the original good'ol pale ale, green label. I admire that they are making efforts to keep up with craft brewing hipster market with all the more recent varieties though!

ci-coopers-original-pale-ale-523941770addc22a (resized).jpegci-coopers-original-pale-ale-523941770addc22a (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#1232 2 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Close behind you at #163!
Yay
(I requested #001 and am SHOCKED that I didn't get it. ...

Looks like I'm way up the chain at #232. Guess I'll go back to sleep for a while till they get to it.

#1235 2 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Game number and build number are different. Pretty sure Damian has stated that they will be shipped based on when the order came in.
Series ticket holders will get theirs first though.

I would have thought, while true (like if you asked for number 44 but where actually customer 134), a number right down the line would be a reasonable indication of where you stand in the production line. Don't think they were just throwing other (non-requested) numbers out randomly.

#1246 2 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Weren't you in early though? ... I rekon yours gets built before mine hey?
I'm 92, but I must have been later than the 200th ME sale. I bought in on the penultimate day.
I would guess the build order should align with the order of sales. Except the series buyers being first.
If someone was the 10th buyer and asked for #222, for example, then that would be opposite to my case.
I guess I just mean that perhaps receipt date (chronology order) would be the best indication of the order games might be built in.
My payment advice was 19th of May, 10pm ACST
The way it seemed to me from correspondence when my initial list of numbers were all unavailable, buyers whom requested no number were probably not allocated until after sales ended, and after all requests were reconciled. I did not get a list of remaining numbers, but did learn the highest and lowest numbers available at the time (54-244), so I sent another dozen picks and said I'd leave it up to them.
After all whom were requesting numbers actually had one, then I think the remaining build numbers would have been slotted to the unspecified# list of buyers. I have no idea how many that would be, but I guess they would be fairly well scattered through?

Yeah I was 27th April. That's when my order number was given (that's meant to not mean anything), which is #200. Guess a lot will depend on how many people jumped in and started requesting specific machine numbers and threw out the actual queue order in terms of production sequence. I personally had no interest in getting a specific number. Hopefully they don't go and default following the actual numbering sequence in production(would be pretty poor form) as by sound of it I'd have been fairly early in ordering.

Quoted from Jarson:

Then you gotta wait 3 months (?) for the boat to get here.

Welcome to our normal world of buying new pins down here! One of the very few times the situation has been flipped. God forbid people in the US have to wait for a container to be packed from the factory then for the sea freight, then for port clearance and then road transport delivery instead of on a truck from the distributors(or you pick up in person) that got their allocation 5 days ago or less from the factory

#1253 2 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Hey Man, #202 We can pick up together......road trip lol

And I’m in the middle, looks like us south coast guys like the #200 numbers.

And complete the whole 'now we know what it feels like to pick up a pin fresh from the factory' American style experience

#1266 2 years ago

Tim Tams lol. I've never clamoured for them myself, but so many go mad for them. I used to love Fudge coated Oreos but kind of got over them them they brought out Cadbury Choc Coated Oreos here. I just want good 'ol Chips Ahoy back that we used to have till couple of years back, they leave all of the choc chips available well behind! Right now I have to buy them on ebay or Catch.com. Don't mind a Pepperidge Farm Nantucket Choc Chip either just quietly

1 week later
#1306 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Personally I would rather have the Fathom no matter what the price, because GNR game play bores me and I don't like the music.

Amen man. Feels like blasphemy to speak of the 'hallow' title that way here lol. The music alone was enough to make me turn the other way from it too.

#1328 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Eh, I still like GNR's cover of Live and Let Die.

Yeah have to agree there too, hard not to like anyone's rendition of that Wings classic. Back in the days of T2 I also didn't mind You Could be Mine but grew past it.

Guess music is one thing we're not that worried about with Fathom lol

2 weeks later
#1402 2 years ago
Quoted from Mark000:

Bugger I just caught on this site and all the Mermaid Editions are sold the classic is definitely not worth buying. Hopefully EBD will be in the line up.

There was a pretty decent window before they sold out, much better than recent Spooky releases. But yeah probably half a chance of picking up a cancellation. I reckon someone (amongst the Aus buyers) is going to suffer some kind of lockdown related stress and not be able to pay the balance. So you could easily get yourself put on a standby list I reckon.

#1421 2 years ago
Quoted from Engel67:

Haggis had a spot open up for a Fathom Mermaid Edition and I sent my deposit yesterday.
They have been very responsive to emails.
Once my deposit clears, I will be informed of my edition number.
What a beautiful machine!

Interesting and nice one. I'm going to hazard a guess with the dramas we've had here lately, someone's hit a financial difficulties with the lockdown. Might start to take some of the heat out of the over-hyped market locally in many categories not just pinball!

#1423 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Yep. No government $$$ pouring in this time. Definitely feels different this time.

100%. It was definitely a bit surreal last year with everyone kind of going nuts spending on everything as an alternative to OS holidays, a diversion from boredom, etc.

#1425 2 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Yeah nah yeah it was real though.
No question.

Yeah it was all around, no missing it. I've seen cars I own(current not collector's), a boat I've got a major share in, all go up to the point I'm selling out of one at a profit (the boat). That's the mind blowing part for me. Then there's pinball...

#1432 2 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Gonna be real again looks like, but perhaps a bit the other way. Assistance here not realistically available to smallest businesses this time. Clearing out loads of mum and dad livelihoods. Nobody seems to care is a bit surreal.
Others may come up for sale too, I'd say. They will sell quickly, just saying some people that ordered may have been a "special buy" for their budget and many are under additional financial stress now. ...

Well yeah that's what I'm thinking too. All of the sudden, a lot of people with what they thought were disposable funds may not find them so 'disposable' any more. Few less COB's out their perhaps in the next cycle.

But yeah that's enough OT for now

1 week later
#1487 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

I have a mate in Coffs Harbour who is selling his only machine, a EBD. He want's 10k for it.

That's like the definition of what's annoying me right now in Aus, even 80's stuff going for stupid money compared to US. Trying to help my mate buy his first pin and he's wanting something like his 80's('79) fav Stellar Wars, but even those old things are overpriced.

#1493 2 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

At those prices must be cheaper to import? even with the shipping plus taxes? That game goes for £1500-£2500 here in the Uk depending on condition.

Absolutely, no question in many cases. Not saying that buying the one single one listed here on Pinside is necessarily the right price point at $3600. It's becoming more so by the day here. If you've paid $A1000 on shipping you've paid too much. I can do sea freight for $500 for example and have a freight forwarding contact I know personally. Although I get the feeling our small market could well come crashing down though with all these people coming into pinball and spending willy nilly now that we've had these recent covid lockdowns here. Got to start biting sooner or later.

Quoted from Screwloose:

Maybe he should forget about pinball & buy a Torana instead.

Bahaha, yeah they're an absolute steal at the moment too

#1496 2 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

500? you're comparing door to door air with either just the actual freight component of lsl . or the cash price for a spot in an illegally mixed box with no separate BOL.. apples v apples or it doesnt make sense.

I'm saying you can go through a freight (and customs) forwarder like I know and land a machine here between $500 and $800 -not talking with GST. I used to use Fedex freight for around $500 but like 15 years ago, but obviously not these days - no point in adding the cost if you're trying bring the cost of the whole exercise down. Nothing 'illegally mixed' as you put it, this from a large scale Freight Forwarding provider.

Quoted from punkin:

This is the quote i got from MM this morning $US to me;
Thanks Gerry, if this moves ocean keep it as one pallet, if it moves
air it needs to be split to two pieces, the pallet and the carton. Based
on that, we can offer door to door, insured *:
AIR: $3,245 * (about one week overall transit)
If just to arrival Brisbane airport = $1,845 insured
OCEAN: $2,135 * (congestion now, estimating 8 weeks overall transit)
If just to arrival Brisbane port = $885 insured
* excludes duties/taxes/exam/GST as they may apply.

That's terrible pricing on air, but not surprising really at the moment. Probably badly affected by Covid for air cost. But sea freight, the direct to port isn't too bad. But what are they quoting there in the rest, as they often lump in local handling costs that are totally unrealistic. I was quoted $575 extra to get a machine 60km's from the freight warehouse to my place for example when I brought in my TWD. I organised my own for a fraction of that cost or would use my truck to go get it nowadays.

#1498 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Yeah, i know who you mean, and i use them all the time for shipments from China.
I'll give Stockwells a chance at my P3 too, they should be able to beat the above.

Not sure if we know and use the exact same company. I'm talking about PCFS in Sydney is who I use.

#1513 2 years ago
Quoted from DirtyDeeds:There's a Stellar Wars on Ebay and Gumtree for $3.5 but it's in Perth and looks like the seller just wants to sell local.

Yeah spotted that one on Gumtree and already shared it with my mate a few days ago.

Quoted from punkin:

Gotcha. Just I know there's a pinball guy that is my company too.

Yeah PCFS just have helped me because the owner is a client of a business I'm involved with. (he may or may not have ever helped anyone import a pinball before). That's how I first got on to him, as he was keen to look after me due to that connection.

2 weeks later
#1576 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

We're still in lockdown and it's not going to end anytime soon

And numbers starting curve up not dissimilar to what happen in NSW. So yeah you guys, especially under Chairman Dan, will be in it for a while too.

1 month later
#1610 2 years ago
Quoted from Screwloose:

And rebuild the old ones into "crazy nice machines"
Glad they shipped all those container loads of pins over here from Europe & other places years ago when they did. Else prices here would be totally out of control. The demand for machines here is incredible at the moment.

Yeah it's OTT here IMHO at the moment in the market. Seriously can't see it being sustained in our tiny market when all the randoms coming in wanting a pinball to break their lockdown boredom start wanting to travel again and spend what's left of their spare cash (especially all those affected by lockdown business crisis'). Then there's the factor I love to bring up on the local FB groups to a lot of these people, hey what are you going to do when something goes wrong with the restored 90's title you paid a mint for. I was astounded when I came across a bloke who had bought a few machines and lived way out in the country and now needs repairs done. I suggested he's up for a quite a hard time if he never learns to maintain his pins himself living so far from anywhere, let alone the expense of having someone else do it. Quite astoundingly he expressed that he wasn't phased by the option of hauling his pins around 550km(340mi) round trip and paying whatever the pinball store in Canberra recommended by FB randoms (who's not got the best rep around really) wants to charge him .

#1614 2 years ago
Quoted from Screwloose:Definitely some "new players" will come & go. But I guarantee some of these people who are currently buying their 1st machines etc are going to get the bug. Just like you & I & most of the people on this forum did. To what level that will be is how much space they have, how much cash & how much enthusiasm.

Yeah I admit there probably will be some who keep going with it who where introduced to it thanks to covid lockdowns, the way I found my way into in the late 90's just wanting to build a games room. I think on the other hand though there will certainly be a lot of I can see a lot of scenarios where say the better halve's of many of these new to pinball owners saying I want to go on holiday, we need to buy this, etc, so you better sell that pinball machine(s)/toy you paid (say) $12-18k for last year. Then there's the ones who end up getting back to their normal patterns of going out and find their pinball(s) starting to gather dust, which then only further erodes the WAF to the point where they're getting told they don't even play them much any more .

1 month later
#1760 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

And Haggis was going to have a most Merman’s delivered by Xmas. Now it looks like none will be built by then. So the original plans have changed. I wish Haggis would adjust accordingly and stream before yearend, so that we can see what a final game looks and plays like. IMO the Merman’s will start shipping in Spring. It might take until the end of the 2022 to build all games.

I had a feeling when I order my GZ LE that despite the super slow shipping from Stern to down here, I'd end up seeing it before I saw my Mermaid. My money is definitely on seeing GZ first here in Jan.

2 weeks later
#1790 2 years ago

I see Kaneda's posted a bit of a wind up about Fathom production on his FB. Easy to play armchair critic from other side of the planet lol.

#1806 2 years ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Kaneda will always kaneed. Fuck him.

Tell us how you really feel

I actually don't mind his post and podcasts at all. He just speaks his mind like a lot of us do.

1 week later
#1877 2 years ago

Nice list also

IMG_4434 (resized).jpgIMG_4434 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#1956 2 years ago
Quoted from Motorcitypinball:

Or expedite through DHL. I will be interested to know the cost of that!

Would have to be astronomical. DHL from here has had some of the worst costs I've seen generally in terms of shipping Intl. I used to use Fedex freight at a cost of around $US650 back over 10 years ago to get games down here but I wouldn't even bother to get it quoted nowadays given my lowest cost of sea freight on a machines is around $US800 nowadays, so no ways is air freight by a courier company going be worth it...

#1987 2 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

My concern about shipping door to door by DHL is getting hit with stat taxes. I purchased 2 Big Lebowskis and Cointaker had them shipped directly to my house. A year later I got a bill from the state of Illinois for a couple grand that I just paid.
I will not ship directly from door to door again.

That's a whole other concern you guys in the US have with your state vs federal tax systems. My old man used to get annoyed about that scenario when we lived there in the 80's, getting taxed on stuff both Federally and State based in many situs, especially wages. Here regardless of door to door Intl shipping, you're paying the customs duty and GST to the Federal Govt, the states don't have any part of it once it's cleared the Intl border.

1 month later
#2489 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:Holy cow, everyone in Australia stay safe, this Flooding is crazy. Best wishes to all in New South Wales.

Shocking for people up in the Northern Rivers. Sadly it's prone to flood up there as it is, but this time and further north in QLD was extreme. Everyone south of there in our very big state of NSW is hoping we don't get too much rain further south down the coast. One reason I'm always happy to live up on an escarpment. I was all of 130km inland visiting my farm on the weekend and it was cloudy but barely registered a few millimeters of rain. Drove the equivalent of another 70km inland on Saturday and it was totally dry.

3 weeks later
#3088 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

his podcasts have become irrelevant behind the paywall
he can bitch and moan all he wants to 450 listeners and they can soak it up - everybody else just doesn't care
Kudos to him, but there is so much better free content out there

Condemn me, but I still find his podcasts useful and relevant. He criticisms seem to be coming from the right place to me a lot of the time and I'm often in agreement.

1 week later
#3340 2 years ago
Quoted from Jumpydoctor:

I was quoted this week $140 usd for a handful of screws. Quick but not happening.

Some companies who ship to Aus out of the US are hopeless or don't give a sh$t. I've seen some really ridiculous quotes over the years. Conversely I've landed plenty of stuff at reasonable rates and still by air and I buy quite a lot of stuff from the US per annum.

#3419 2 years ago
Quoted from Meldenhut:

Anyone care to explain who/what Duck pinball is? Looks like he is a pinball restorer from Argentina?
Seems like a long way to go for someone considering the haggis playfield construction process is different then a standard pinball machine?
Someone educate me here on what I’m missing

Yeah I was scratching my head too when I saw it on FB.

1 week later
#3718 2 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

2 people in Australia just sold a C8 corvette and made $100k each

Yeah it's been pretty ludicrous lately, my mate who's a car broker in Sydney did this with one just last month - had people upping each other to buy it. To think these are just standard Corvettes you can order from a Holden dealership. All because the peoples post covid boredom and slowness of the supply chain. I wouldn't want to be these customers having paid that when the real deal Z06's land some time next year.

#3743 2 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

I wonder if there is KFC in Australia. Here we call it the Dirty Bird. I have it 2 or more times a week. Waiting on more pictures, or news on Fathom builds. As usual I continue to pound back the beers!

You're kidding right, we had Kentucky Fried here in the early 70's when I was toddler lol -and we also just as you, delight in referring to it as the DB . These days we've got a darn fair representation of global fast food brands, even Carl's Jr has got a foothold nowadays. I've been hoping for a KFC to go in a couple of suburbs away given my closest is now 15Km, which is certainly a pain when you get a craving. We see some of those 'small town', anti development/fastfood crusaders here locally like Punkin referred, but they don't get too far normally. We've got a group right now trying stop a redevelopment of the crustiest daggiest micro shopping centre into a nice modern one with a small apartment tower on top.

#3773 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Vote “yes” for Popeye’s. Deny all other visas. Except for McDonald’s of course. There’s no way you’re getting them to leave. And…their double cheeseburgers and filet o’ fish are delicious.

Funny you should say that, I happen to know some corporate advisory guys who were helping with the funding of group who had negotiated the rights to Popeye's for Australia. I haven't heard much since last year, but I imagine, if their investment phase finished late last year as indicated, they'd be on track to start rolling out around Sydney this year..

1 month later
#4578 1 year ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

I still plan on drinking a Australian beer for every Fathom received before Pintastic show. Guess it will be 6 - 12 in total by then.

Just make sure it's not one of these :

fosters (resized).pngfosters (resized).png

But hopefully one of these (probably can't find in NS though ) :

coopers (resized).pngcoopers (resized).png

#4613 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Yes, not those under any circumstances!
Make it this beer if you can get it.

Great suggestion! Was just going to post Coopers Pale, especially since they are made locally to me.
Maybe...
https://www.uniteddistributors.ca/beers_ciders/united_distributors_products_beers_ciders_coopers_pale_ale.html#simple1

Great to see. I know have a modicum of hope that I may occasionally see it in my travels outside Oz.

Quoted from Joydivision:

Certainly worth tracking some down if you can as they are distributed in the US. Their is just something fantastic about how that beer tastes that they have achieved that's hard to define.
Good thing is, even though they are a mainstream brand now, the Pale still tastes exactly the same as it did decades ago.

Yeah probably the biggest draw card to me is it's non-citrus taste that turns me off so many ales, especially the hipster craft stuff.

Quoted from meSz:

Not to bust your pinBALLS but Fosters is a Japanese beer. Owned by Asahi Breweries out of Tokyo Japan

It's still an Australian founded and brewed beer man (as well as being licensed by brewers across the globe). Was owned by Carlton & United Breweries who were sold after being owner previously by Anheuser-Busch InBev to Asahi Japan. Even though Carlton & United Breweries Australia is now owned by the Japanese, it doesn't make it's famous local beers, Like Carton Lager, VB, or Resch's now suddenly Japanese nor did it make them the nationality of it's previous two owners. Same goes for the other major (and personally severly disliked) Aussie Brewery, Lion Nathan aka Toohey's, nowadays owned by Kirin Japan. By the same token, Budwieser is now owned by the Belgan/Brizillian company InBev. So by your logic you can now say the famous Bud Beer is now Belgan/Brazilian beer .. The world of big beer brands ain't what used to be that's for sure!

End beer rant

2 months later
#5411 1 year ago
Quoted from Rjbdmdmd:

I received my invoice this morning. I am build number 116. I wasn't expecting this for sometime due to the delays.
What the highest number build that someone has received.
I have some concerns wiring money given the delays and few machines seen going out beyond the series ticket holders orders in this forum.

I got my order invoice (order #200) around the same time last night here. I had feeling it would turn up in a Murphy's Law kind of way, just when I've been on holiday a month and a half ago and burned through funds lol. They're still quoting the same 8 week production scenario, so lets see if it starts to hold true or not given I don't think anyone has gotten one in anywhere near that time frame so far. I'm going to expect mine next Feb lol.

#5491 1 year ago
Quoted from Rjbdmdmd:

yes it is an extrapolation. It would be better if there was transparency. Does anyone this that they will get their machine in 8!weeks if they were invoiced and paid today?

I paid mine on Friday (begrudgingly) and have no confidence it will turn up in anything like 8 weeks. Early next year, maybe.

#5493 1 year ago

Not saying it won't be good to see it, whenever that is. Just predictably bad timing to pay the balance in a Murphy's Law sort of way that didn't help my mood last week.

#5495 1 year ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

It will be good to see the time frame to gauge how they are going. Mine was 21 weeks to ship. By the time you get yours hopefully they can halve that.

Yeah that's definitely something that would be good to get a fix on. Let's hope things are indeed on the improve.

#5505 1 year ago
Quoted from CQQLKAT-LEE:

Was curious if anyone ordered a Mermaid game in or near the Massachusetts or New England area in general? I'm in for one and live in Western Massachusetts. Reason I'm asking is usually North American transportation or STI offer a 2 for 1 deal when your shipping a game to same place on same pallet. My thinking is to check if the air shipping option that some are using with DHL might offer this same deal, then two people could split the 1700 dollar cost to get game air shipped to our closest centeral warehouse location where we would both drive to to pick it up. That would save $850 dollars for each of us. Of course, this would mean that DHL or another Air shipping company would be willing to offer the 2 for 1 same pallet deal that North American movers STI does. I figured I'd check here first to see if there's any other person close here in New England that ordered a mermaid and would want to do that before calling DHL to see if that or any other discount could be worked out.

I'd be very surprised if DHL or any other major (premium) courier/freight firm would give you that sort of deal. In reverse, from a much shorter distance than Aus - USA, I was quoted $2200 to for Fedex to send 1 palleted pinball air frieght to Aus from a fairly close Asian country. I politely declined and organised my own 17 day delivery inclusive sea freight for $1000.

#5530 1 year ago

Of course as expected in the most pinball Murphy's Law way, 5 days after I pay for my Mermaid, Stern drop Bond. D'oh, talk about an expensive month :facepalm:

#5534 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

You are a theme man, hey?
A mate of mine up here is the same, he get's excited about themes.
Played his newest machine the other day, he got a GZle because he liked the theme.
It works out sometimes i say.
More of a theme integration man, myself.
Theme takes a backseat to how well it's executed and how immersive it is.

I am, but of I take into account designers, build, and gameplay they've put into the machine. I've been around pinball too long to ignore that aspect. It's only here with our tight availability via AMD that we have to worry about 'being on the list' for LE's etc. Doesn't stop one from saying 'no thanks' when the reveal and gameplay comes though.
On the other hand you can't get me to buy a theme I'm not into on the basis 'its such a great playing' title. Fathom is a nice original IP theme, but more an art piece game that plays well to me as an example.

1 week later
#5565 1 year ago
Quoted from Rjbdmdmd:

paid my balance...... 8 more weeks.

Quoted from etien:

Paid mine too, they told me 8 weeks. Cool.

I'm 3 weeks in now from having paid. Reckon I'll see Bond LE well before Fathom though...

4 weeks later
#5647 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Would have to look it up - been about 6 months I think. But I get the impression things are speeding up - just a hunch. I saw they loaded a few games to go to Europe the other day

Yeah that does make me wonder about the timing for more recent payers, in entering my 7th week since full payment. Still reckon I'm likely to land Bond Premium before my Mermaid.

#5649 1 year ago
Quoted from Meldenhut:

Got my email today, my mermaid is boxed up and ready for delivery.
Haggis is only on the other side of the city so it will be at my place next week.
Pretty excited!

How long was your payment to ready wait time mate?

#5656 1 year ago
Quoted from Meldenhut:

No idea to be honest, it was paid in full voluntarily a long time ago. I travel a lot for work and am mostly uncontactable when so, just wanted it to be paid up so it could be delivered when it was ready without me being home if that came to pass

Ok, bold move. I hate the whole deposit scenario (especially non-refundable) at the best of times. Impossible to tell in that case then I guess, although sounds like a long time compared to those who were invoiced later.

#5660 1 year ago
Quoted from Meldenhut:

I believe I am invoice 157 if that helps people playing at home

Mine was 200, so sounds like a lot of machines in between potentially

#5679 1 year ago
Quoted from Meldenhut:

Maybe not
Every order for a machine was most likely placed after an order for a clan membership
So it could be that for every 50 invoice numbers it’s 25 machines

True, trying to work off their invoice numbering has proved pretty fruitless to date by all accounts.

1 week later
#5707 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

I believe mine is on a rowboat?

I'm about to clock up week 9 since payment and don't expect mine before Xmas though.

#5741 1 year ago
Quoted from Screwloose:

That will be 17 weeks then. And no doubt they will have a xmas shutdown for a couple of weeks so you may see it at the end of January if you're lucky.

I've said previously that I reckon I'd see Bond Premium before it. I was definitely being overly generous when I said doubt I'd see it before Xmas.

#5746 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Not even sure what's going on with those Contacted AMD the other day and was told still no need for a deposit at this stage and they weren't sure of what their allocation for Prems would be yet. Just looked on their website before and now showing TBA for price on Pro's and Prem's where before they had the new price listed. FK knows what's going on with that???

I think if you look at whats going on in general with that particular release, as opposed to previous releases, you can see why AMD are still in the dark there this late in after the launch.

Quoted from Dwboca:

Yall are considering paying 15k AUD?
I don't want bond for 10k Usd or really any other game for that price.

We'll given $A14950K is $US9600, yeah. I don't get how the exchange rates cause so much confusion around here still. I guess that's why I still always convert to USD as a matter of course when I'm talking costs, etc in posts to avoid confusion..

1 month later
#5815 1 year ago
Quoted from Cobray:

What's your order #? Is your game sitting ready to ship or ? I've seen order #142 is paid in full now and there appears to be over a dozen or more people that have paid in full in advance and don't have a game. If it's a dozen, that's almost $100K in advance AT THE VERY LEAST.

I'm at just on 14 weeks since payment and it feels like there's a long way to go still judging by feedback.

1 week later
#5914 1 year ago
Quoted from Rjbdmdmd:I ordered my fathom mermaid edition April 26th 2021. invoice 177. Machine number 116. It's been 12 weeks since paying them.
Let's start getting transparent. I'm tired of the "I just got mine" and no other information.

Mine's order #200 placed April 27th 2021. Just clocked up 15 weeks now. I'm a bit in two minds at the moment as whether I wait it out or try to sell and put towards my Bond..

2 weeks later
#6151 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Air freight is notoriously worse for handling than sea in our experience. For sea, the goods are usually loaded and unloaded from the container, that's it. For air the freight often takes numerous flights, unloaded and loaded on each one, then sits around on the tarmac - often in the rain, then f*cks around once it finally gets to the destination airport, then goes to the courier local depot and is finally delivered. Air freighted boxes are without exception damaged in some way by the time we get them.

Definitely really good if you can have full control of the container like you would do with your biz Mark. Although there's still room for dramas if you're doing LCL cargo say. I've had zero dramas though to date fortunately, even recently sending a machine out to rural NSW.

#6154 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Yeh, LCL is marginally worse, but nothing compared to Air. The only "benefit" to a pinball machine sent by air, vs small boxes, is it's size/weight and its on a pallet. You cant throw a pinball machine around like air handlers do. You can however stick a forklift through it - there's just more opportunity for that to happen with air.

I haven't used air in like 15 years now, but used to get good rates via FedEx Freight. I was fortunate with all my machines that came that way, which were quite a few. Nowadays, it's just too expensive anyway, 3 x the LCL cost. My last LCL shipping of a machine from Malayasia was only a bit more than what it used to cost me for air.

1 month later
#6211 1 year ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Some people have reported 5-6 months after final payment FYI, but well worth the wait if you ask me..

Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I just got my invoice! I guess this is good news. Email still says 8 weeks after payment.

I've now clocked 23 weeks since paying last September. I've since ordered an SD from Spooky and as predicted my Stern JB will arrive in the next week or so, tidily beating Fathom Mermaid. If anything else desirable comes out meantime, I could capitulate on sticking with it.

#6214 1 year ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

Have you contacted them yet for an update? I'm at 16 weeks now and was about to send an email, but it sounds like I've got a ways to go based on your time frame.

No, but based on other owners, it sounds par for the course though.

#6227 1 year ago

Low and behold just got an email to say mine was soon to be boxed. Of course I've got no space right now with Bond LE turning up as well and that won't be boxed so it's got the priority. Looks like FM will be doing a stint in stored in my shed with it's timing. I'll have to move another pin into my shed next RFM and HH as well. At least it's not long now.

#6228 1 year ago

double post

#6231 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

Leave RFM here if you like. Been wanting to play one with a view to purchasing.

It's already stored so not taking up any space in my game room, it kind of goes with my AFM so not super keen to do anything with it. Plus a pretty a low value pin still after all these years. I've certainly seen plenty around the place for sale though.

#6234 1 year ago

My Fathom is now going to stay at Haggis till I've got room for it as it was set to be picked up Monday but given my no room situation, it shall stay for a bit.

#6237 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

I look through your collection to see you which you should get rid of however I came up with absolutely nothing they all rock!

Yeah, after 25+ years at it, I like to think I've honed my collection pretty well . In the not too distant future I'll have extra room at my new place in the country with another gamesroom, so I'm not too worried overall. Plus I can still rotate machines in and out of storage, it's just a case of wheeling machines around a bit.

#6258 1 year ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

I have now been paid in full for over 5 months without an update just to set expectations for those who are paying in full right now. I sent Damian an email today. Hope to get an update soon and will report back.

Mine worked out to 24 weeks as it was supposed to ship yesterday but I now don't have room so it's being stored at the factory. So 5.5 months is still looking like how long it's taking. I'd think yours would be immeninent by what you're saying.

1 month later
#6327 1 year ago
Quoted from Aqua1122:

Them showing up to a festival and actually shipping games are two different things. I haven’t seen a confirmed shipment of one in weeks, maybe months. Wanted to see if there was any recent confirmed shipped/received.

Posted mine's arrival 10 days ago on the owner's thread. Was ready mid Feb but I postponed delivery.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haggis-owners-club/page/2#post-7510085

1 month later
#6357 10 months ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Decided to restore my OG Fathom instead of replacing with Mermaid - just personal preference. So think I’m going to list my Mermaid NIB if anyone’s interested. Can help with shipping to US if no interest down here.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/158424
[quoted image]

Mines still in the box too. I've got no room at the moment.

4 weeks later
#6420 9 months ago

Yeah definitely a big no thanks on Centaur. From the look of it, to the pricing, to the who knows production timing. Happy to have my boxed Fathom Mermaid right now though.

7 months later
#7040 70 days ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

Why aren’t we talking more about this? What a delicious treat. I have no idea if it’s Australian but whoever devised it is a mad genius.

Bahaha not even close. The whole Outback menu is basically a 'straight port' of the old Lone Star Steakhouse menu, so more Texan takeway than anything Aussie lol.

lonestar (resized).jpglonestar (resized).jpg
1 month later
#7687 17 days ago
Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

Split Enz. One of my favourite Aussie Pub Rock bands in the 1980's. Too bad they were also from New Zealand

Liked Split Enz and Tim Finn way more than with his brother Neil Finn and Crowded House

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Worth, TX
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Sydney, NSW
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

9,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Our_Man_in_Oz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jaws-by-haggis-pinball?tu=Our_Man_in_Oz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.