432458935_10161391757882700_9203589995855484710_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240315_080654_Outlook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240315_080645_Outlook (resized).jpg
IMG_0323 (resized).jpeg
Turner deposit (resized).JPG
CC0F00FB-A797-43FE-BC12-D0192AFA668C (resized).jpeg
mermaid (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7,776 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 156.
#4501 1 year ago
Quoted from reynolds531:

Why would Stern stop making Spike boards?

I am trying to figure out how this spike board discussion relates to the Haggis thread.

Is it the similarity of things not being made in pinball? I am confused.

#4502 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Have you been reading the topics put forth by the aussies in this thread while they’ve been waiting??

Well over in the CCr hype thread there were some proposed uses for pineapples.

#4503 1 year ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

My collection will never be complete until I own Punchy the Clown!
Keep up that sales pitch… Pump and Dump![quoted image]

Wow look, after beer, cars, and dick swinging ... finally the Olympic comes to join the party!

TitanicOlympic (resized).jpegTitanicOlympic (resized).jpeg

Shouldn't leave the Titanic out!

Why on earth would they want to FF sink the new shiny undamaged one!?

Whitestar hey look at that, even has a name link to pinball!

#4504 1 year ago

Is Covid making me like 1978 to 1981 Bally's machines more than my Modern day titles?

What is happening to me?
Dr.?

#4505 1 year ago

Quoted from meSz:
You mean when there was only one pinball manufacturer and they were doing everything to stay afloat, oh yeah the good old days!
The speculation BS has always been there, we just now have the ease of the internet to get that "BS" out of one's head to the rest of the world!
5, 10, 15 years from now all the post will be .... remember when you use to be able to buy a machine and flip it for money? Now I have this 20k$ paperweight I cant give away!

Quoted from Beechwood:

I am trying to figure out how this spike board discussion relates to the Haggis thread.
Is it the similarity of things not being made in pinball? I am confused.

It started with the first quote if you were following the thread. I replied as to the unavailability of Stern boards. In my case, it is an LED board for AC-DC that seems to be unobtainable. Mea culpa if you thought that the thread was being hijacked.

I sincerely hope that Haggis succeeds in their endeavours.

#4506 1 year ago

House move completed and over half the boxes unpacked and pins and furniture in place, I'll knock out the rest of the Fathom video after the weekend.

Need a quick break first to get some energy back from it all and watch a little Stranger Things and Obi Wan.

Apologies for the false start there. Easier days ahead.

Fathom is no longer in a shed but sitting next to a custom Fish Tales retheme into Jaws.

#4507 1 year ago
Quoted from visualmagic:

House move completed and over half the boxes unpacked and pins and furniture in place, I'll knock out the rest of the Fathom video after the weekend.
Need a quick break first to get some energy back from it all and watch a little Stranger Things and Obi Wan.
Apologies for the false start there. Easier days ahead.
Fathom is no longer in a shed but sitting next to a custom Fish Tales retheme into Jaws.

Please don’t feel obligated to show us anything immediately , seriously. I know there’s 249+ people that want to see the game in action but please put it at the end of the to-do list.

#4508 1 year ago
Quoted from visualmagic:

That's a sick Jaws retheme , very impressive .

I'm assuming you're talking about this one .

#4509 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Is Covid making me like 1978 to 1981 Bally's machines more than my Modern day titles?
What is happening to me?
Dr.?

Good taste is happening to you… you are gaining good taste.

#4510 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Ha - I thought I was the only one! My primary ride is a 30 year old Land Cruiser. Great pin hauler (short trips).
[quoted image]

They are great pin haulers! A NIB machine fits perfect!
Here is a pic of my 1999/AKA “Old Blue”.
It’s a shame they are no longer imported to the USA.

099343D0-C1F9-484C-8797-4129EB0EDD1A (resized).png099343D0-C1F9-484C-8797-4129EB0EDD1A (resized).png
#4511 1 year ago

This Fathom was at The York Pinball Show last Fall. It sold early on the first day. I think the new machines will ship. Anything good always takes time and delays are inevitable!
Serious buyer here for anyone who wants to sell their deposit. Please send me a Pm!

7EBCF10D-AA33-4909-9FC9-E3A0C99E1D37 (resized).png7EBCF10D-AA33-4909-9FC9-E3A0C99E1D37 (resized).png
#4512 1 year ago

This Fathom was at The York Pinball Show last Fall. It sold early on the first day. I think the new machines will ship. Anything good always takes time and delays are inevitable!
Serious buyer here for anyone who wants to sell their deposit. Please send me a Pm![quoted image]

The original Fathom is a beautiful machine and such a great choice for the first remake.

I am blown away by the attention to detail that Haggis is giving here. The new Fathom is stunning! Not just a well built looker , updated polish an code to boot.
Just a win, win.

Not trying to fanboy or hype here but the Haggis Fathom is next level.
I wish I was in on one.

I have no doubt of the integrity of the Fathom team.
Can't wait till they get through the challenge of supply and labour issues that are plaguing Australia and the world at the moment.

I wish Haggis every success and will have my name down for a Centaur and Eight ball Deluxe when they come around.

#4513 1 year ago
Quoted from RA77:

I wish Haggis every success and will have my name down for a Centaur and Eight ball Deluxe when they come around.

Fathom is the dream game for me from the Bally/Stern classic era. Centaur may actually be my favorite as far as playfield layout and game rules, but is incredibly ugly. I've played a lot of it at friends houses, so probably would pass on that. EBD I may own soon with a hardtop playfield and I already have a really nice Paragon. I really wish Haggis could do some of the classic Sterns that used the same boards and platform. My next 2 or 3 choices after Fathom would be Sterns and not Ballys.

#4514 1 year ago

A few days ago I had the pleasure of servicing a Celts and came away with some thoughts and perspectives about Celts, Haggis, and how it ties into the Fathom remake…

Too long don’t read!

Make no mistake that the build quality, finish, and attention to detail is excellent. They really did design and engineer successfully many new features to service the machine. There are also a few missteps along the way that are disappointing such as the backglass latch being too long which scraped the paint off the custom backglass and the side channels for the playfield glass being lined with felt. The felt was already ripped and chunks of it jammed in the rear of the channel from getting caught on the top corners of the glass itself. Also, the lock down bar looks nice with their logo, but is made of plastic or fiberglass so I just hope it holds up. One other thing that was an unnecessary expense and caused an issue was the bottom of the cabinet also had a high quality finish and there was no reveal. The smooth surface with no reveal creates a slick surface with nothing to prevent it from sliding off of a pinball dolly. A rubber mat will be used in the future. The extra bells and whistles such as the see through rear of the backbox logo and the lit acrylic covers within the cabinet are very nice touches and something that separates them. The acrylic playfield is showing signs of wear at the flippers, so if you own one of these keep it clean and change the balls regularly! The underside of the playfield was very neat and clean looking and the only issue I ran into was more slack was needed for the HDMI cable that goes to the playfield display. It would occasionally pull out of the device in the base cabinet when the playfield was returned to its normal position…no biggie to resolve. As far as gameplay goes, in my opinion of course, it’s an inferior version of Total Nuclear Annihilation. It’s less exciting, engaging, fun, cool, and hopefully the code changes as the diverter to gain entry to the top half of the playfield seemed underutilized. The feel of the flippers and overall gameplay felt good. All and all I was very impressed, but I am concerned about their BOM and price point.

Haggis wanted to differentiate themselves from their competition by wanting to build a better “mouse trap”, but this may prove costly. It was said repeatedly that the numbers just didn’t add up regarding deeproot, which I didn’t want to hear. Lol I am now feeling that way about Haggis, the numbers just don’t add up. The time that they have been in business, R&D, their new facility, equipment, profit margin per unit with all the very nice bells and whistles, and the very low number of games shipped just doesn’t make sense for long term survival as a business. These mermaids better ship soon and just as important the next remake better be right behind it to keep the production line moving. I’ve heard repeatedly from other Pinsiders that pinball is primarily a manufacturing business…so true.

As for Fathom, I’m not buying the reason that games aren’t shipping is due to parts and labor shortages. That would make sense if they were slowly trickling mermaids out the door, but just one??? I believe that this was basically a prototype that shipped out and the video of it boxed up was just another attempt to get those with deposits to pay their remaining balances. As I said in an earlier post, until I saw a steady stream of mermaids shipping they wouldn’t see another dime from me. But you do you. And if they are being affected by supply and labor shortages, how long can they stay afloat? I believe they are having financial difficulties and need some investors to step in…I mean how could they not??? They seem to be doing something special so if they are running out of working capital hopefully someone notices what they’ve accomplished so far and gives them life. Or maybe I’m wrong and all is well and a pile of them will ship out by June 1st…I sure hope so!!!

#4515 1 year ago

wrb1977 great write up.
Did you get any photos of the flipper/ playfield wear by any chance?
Curious as to wether it can be polished out.
Love to hear more .

#4516 1 year ago

Good to see you here my friend. Appreciate your thoughts.

#4517 1 year ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

There are also a few missteps along the way that are disappointing such as the backglass latch being too long which scraped the paint off the custom backglass and the side channels for the playfield glass being lined with felt. The felt was already ripped and chunks of it jammed in the rear of the channel from getting caught on the top corners of the glass itself. Also, the lock down bar looks nice with their logo, but is made of plastic or fiberglass so I just hope it holds up. One other thing that was an unnecessary expense and caused an issue was the bottom of the cabinet also had a high quality finish and there was no reveal. The smooth surface with no reveal creates a slick surface with nothing to prevent it from sliding off of a pinball dolly. A rubber mat will be used in the future. The extra bells and whistles such as the see through rear of the backbox logo and the lit acrylic covers within the cabinet are very nice touches and something that separates them. The acrylic playfield is showing signs of wear at the flippers, so if you own one of these keep it clean and change the balls regularly! The underside of the playfield was very neat and clean looking and the only issue I ran into was more slack was needed for the HDMI cable that goes to the playfield display. It would occasionally pull out of the device in the base cabinet when the playfield was returned to its normal position…no biggie to resolve.

They sound like minor issues . You have to remember this was Damien's first go at making a pinball machine and he knew nothing about pinball when he started this project .
For his first first attempt , I would say it's pretty fucken good .

#4518 1 year ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

I believe that this was basically a prototype that shipped out and the video of it boxed up was just another attempt to get those with deposits to pay their remaining balances.

I hope you're wrong, but do admit that it was a main factor in my finally pulling the trigger on a Classic Edition.

Quoted from wrb1977:

The acrylic playfield is showing signs of wear at the flippers, so if you own one of these keep it clean and change the balls regularly!

Ugh. I do feel stupid because I completely missed the video(s) where they talked about this. I thought the dimple-proof playfield was something new and high tech and not something that was done as far back as the 70s on EMs. Haha of course a piece of plexiglass won't dimple like wood! Hopefully this doesn't turn into a problem. The 1977 Dragon EMs that I've played all have thousands of games on them and the plexi playfield still looks fine after 45 years. Fortunately the type of scratching we are talking about here is very superficial and should be able to be buffed out. Have to admit that I am kind of wishing I had waited a few more months to order that CE at this point! Oh well, I still feel "pretty confident" that I'll eventually get a machine that I will be happy with for the price paid.

#4519 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

Fortunately the type of scratching we are talking about here is very superficial and should be able to be buffed out.

According to Haggis, playfield scratches can't be buffed out:

#4520 1 year ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

According to Haggis, playfield scratches can't be buffed out:

Replacement playfields are a topside only swap out that even a short attention span guy like me could easily do. I love many of our playfield restoration guys but man would that save me a lot of time and money. And I would expect considerable life out of Haggis playfields before the need arises.

And because I'm quite experienced at flame polishing pinball ramps, I'd give that a go on the original playfield after a swap out. And as I sit here right now, its my very strong guess that flame polishing would work very well.

FYI. Flame polishing is really easy once you've done it and on a flat surface like a playfield, its almost dummy proof.

#4521 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Replacement playfields are a topside only swap out that even a short attention span guy like me could easily do. I love many of our playfield restoration guys but man would that save me a lot of time and money. And I would expect considerable life out of Haggis playfields before the need arises.
And because I'm quite experienced at flame polishing pinball ramps, I'd give that a go on the original playfield after a swap out. And as I sit here right now, its my very strong guess that flame polishing would work very well.
FYI. Flame polishing is really easy once you've done it and on a flat surface like a playfield, its almost dummy proof.

Wonder if the art is direct printed to the under side of the acrylic top if so could make things a little more challenging

#4522 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:Replacement playfields are a topside only swap out that even a short attention span guy like me could easily do. I love many of our playfield restoration guys but man would that save me a lot of time and money. And I would expect considerable life out of Haggis playfields before the need arises.

Seems like if buffing would remove the protective coating on the acrylic, flame polishing it would be a no go as well. Worth a shot though in the future if anyone has a pf they don't mind risking.

#4523 1 year ago

Any pics of the wear?
I mills wax mine and no dramas yet!
I have only polished once when I first received it.
But mine is not in a commercial setting so I really am interested

#4524 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Seems like if buffing would remove the protective coating on the acrylic, flame polishing it would be a no go as well. Worth a shot though in the future if anyone has a pf they don't mind risking.

I don't think it is a surface coating rather the material composition itself but only guessing.

#4525 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

I don't think it is a surface coating rather the material composition itself but only guessing.

It's a surface coating.

#4526 1 year ago

Series Ticket Holder. Just picked it up. Just helping ease everyone's worry, they are getting them built!

20220531_124125 (resized).jpg20220531_124125 (resized).jpg
#4527 1 year ago

Oh wow
Series ticket holder?

#4528 1 year ago

Cappy welcome to pinside and congrats on making your first post. Please do share the details of this picture of a Fathom box.

#4529 1 year ago
Quoted from Cappy:

[quoted image]

That's a great first post .

#4530 1 year ago
Quoted from Cappy:

Series Ticket Holder. Just picked it up. Just helping ease everyone's worry, they are getting them built!
[quoted image]

Nice. Hopefully another one on Perth very soon!
Please take some pictures for us all.

#4531 1 year ago
Quoted from Meldenhut:

Oh wow
Series ticket holder?

It means he's pre ordered All titles coming and has VIP status.

Cool

#4532 1 year ago

They are great pin haulers! A NIB machine fits perfect!
Here is a pic of my 1999/AKA “Old Blue”.
It’s a shame they are no longer imported to the USA.
[quoted image]

That's my daily driver, even same color, although it's an '02. Just hit 200K miles a couple months ago.

#4533 1 year ago

There's another prototype for Jeff

#4534 1 year ago
Quoted from Cappy:

[quoted image]

Did they let you in to use the bathroom?

#4535 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Did they let you in to use the bathroom?

Over here , we call it a dunny

#4536 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Over here , we call it a dunny

Does the dunny water swirl counter-clockwise? (Asking for the conspiracy believers)

#4537 1 year ago

all this and no dOn .....

#4538 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

That's my daily driver, even same color, although it's an '02. Just hit 200K miles a couple months ago.

Only 130K on mine.
Do you have the contrasting wheel well trim?
I’ve been told it’s uncommon and was a regional option in the South and possible other US areas.
There are none in the northeast that I’ve seen. I’ve had a couple other Landcruiser owners ask me over the years where they could get it. It looks nice but also keeps dirt/ salt from kicking up on the sides.
My local dealer traded a Florida dealer another new vehicle for mine.

#4540 1 year ago

More funniest with the dick grab, but still i like it.

Happy days.

Bloody long drive to pick up.

#4541 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Does the dunny water swirl counter-clockwise? (Asking for the conspiracy believers)

I just checked , water doesn't swirl in the dunny but it does down the sink

#4542 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I just checked , water doesn't swirl in the dunny but it does down the sink

I like the way they work in Thailand. Fill up till it gets to the top of the bowl, then flushes all in one go. Neat.

#4543 1 year ago
Quoted from Cappy:

That's a sweet looking pallet too!

#4544 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

pallet fetish .... there is a new one !

#4545 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

pallet fetish .... there is a new one !

He got wood!

#4546 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Yeah but for the money spent on these machines you would think Haggis would stain and put a few coats of polyurethane on it at a minimum!!!

(there were too many positive posts in a row, had to break it up with a complaint of some sort!)

#4547 1 year ago
Quoted from meSz:

Yeah but for the money spent on these machines you would think Haggis would stain and put a few coats of polyurethane on it at a minimum!!!
(there were too many positive posts in a row, had to break it up with a complaint of some sort!)

No issue there. I prefer my pallets as I do my mermaids. Well built and all natural!

#4548 1 year ago

Found out about the PLAYFIELD ACRYLIC TOP:

- It has a scratch resistant 2pack clear coating on its face. You cant flame polish it , you can polish it but with very little effect (polishing is a very fine/minute version of sanding, which is scratching )

- The art is printed onto cast clear then wet applied to rear

#4549 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

Found out about the PLAYFIELD ACRYLIC TOP:
- It has a scratch resistant 2pack clear coating on its face. You cant flame polish it , you can polish it but with very little effect (polishing is a very fine/minute version of sanding, which is scratching )

Swinks, you probably not the person to ask but incase this is something you discussed..... what about using polishes? For example, either the Novus route or even like a 3M paint polish?

If not the above then is it basically a surface that, over time, will wear and it is what it is?

#4550 1 year ago
Quoted from meSz:

I’m just disappointed they didn’t use the hammerproof tech in the pallet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

8,245 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Boerne, TX
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Worth, TX
Machine - For Sale
Sydney, NSW
There are 7,776 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 156.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jaws-by-haggis-pinball/page/91?hl=wrb1977 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.