Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 478 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jaredbs.jpg
    4O1A7082.jpg
    4O1A7109.jpg
    4O1A7099.jpg
    4O1A7038.jpg
    4O1A7092.jpg
    4O1A7060.jpg
    4O1A7015.jpg
    4O1A7059.jpg
    4O1A6996.jpg
    4O1A6941.jpg
    4O1A6843.jpg
    4O1A6915.jpg
    4O1A6817.jpg
    4O1A6814.jpg
    4O1A6788.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 478 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.
    #351 10 years ago

I really, truly appreciate the effort and enthusiasm. But where a 9 is exceptional, we get a constant 14. And then a Photoshop carpet bombing. Then a carpet bombing of self promotion and links to suspiciously contrived and professionally filmed and photoed humble acts. Then an "aw shucks, you guys noticed?". Then an ensuring that everyone notices. Then a contrite admission of something, and a humble brag about how many contacts and sources he could be using.

This sounds like pouring on. I know it does. And I do not mean for it to be so. But, and especially locally, this has been a veritable Category 4 hurricane of promotion and involvement in any and every aspect of the community, for a year. In like a lion. Lots of cookie jars, with only so many hands. Problems that have rubbed community members the wrong way at every turn, with little time to learn or amend. I know that there will be issues getting the machines donated and allowed to be used on the next series of events, based on past experiences and some hard feelings that are clearly not going to be comforted by further overextending. Jumping into the deep end is admirable in places, but is gives caution in others. Everything doesn't have to be EPIIIICCCCCC!!!!!!! The party wasn't my thing, granted. But I do think it is impressive that this actually went off. But the continued self promotion and and self congratulation, after another fund had to be set up to cover the $6-10K over budget, coupled with the humble brags.......it just all adds up to running at full speed through the hurdles. Lots of events for us locally, with lots more anticipated. And there will be requests from the locals to contribute and be involved. But there has to be some wrinkle ironing.

#352 10 years ago
    Quoted from houseofpin:

Just let the guy enjoy his moment. I sense a lot of jealous people as the guy just wanted to throw an awesome party and he did. Nothing wrong with him enjoying some of the publicity he has received. For all the time, effort and money he put forth he deserves it if you ask me. Seems a lot of people had a GREAT TIME and nothing wrong with that. The people criticizing him should try and throw a party like this and I am sure they would find out it takes a lot of time and effort and "things will go wrong"....just too many moving parts for that not to happen and too many egos (i.e. Vanilla Ice with his sound check telling him he can't let anyone in.......what was the guy suppose to do).
    This is his thread and he has every right to "enjoy the moment' on his thread.....people that can't deal with that should just avoid reading his thread rather then taking shots at the guy.....seems like a really good guy and I haven't seen him even get upset with any of the criticism.....he seems to be a HAPPY PERSON unlike some of the people who are trying to "get under his skin".

You will forgive me if I, or any other members of this forum, dismiss your telltale run-on stylings immediately. Any sudden snap of logic or sensibility from you will be construed only as sheep's clothing.

#353 10 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

You will forgive me if I, or any other members of this forum, dismiss your telltale run-on stylings immediately. Any sudden snap of logic or sensibility from you will be construed only as sheep's clothing.

I will take the high road on this one and just wish you the best....... Rather then give you the response you deserve......

#354 10 years ago
    Quoted from houseofpin:

I will take the high road on this one and just wish you the best....... Rather then give you the response you deserve......

No one would read that treatise, as it were. Saves your finger dexterity for another rant. You are most welcome.

#355 10 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

No one would read that treatise, as it were. Saves your finger dexterity for another rant. You are most welcome.

LOL.......it is great to be back !!!! Thanks for a good laugh......hopefully you put your finger dexterity to good use tonight....

#356 10 years ago
    Quoted from houseofpin:

Just let the guy enjoy his moment.

no issues with that.

Quoted from houseofpin:

I sense a lot of jealous people

not here, I can assure you.

Quoted from houseofpin:

Nothing wrong with him enjoying some of the publicity he has received.

agreed

Quoted from houseofpin:

Seems a lot of people had a GREAT TIME and nothing wrong with that. The people criticizing him should try and throw a party like this and I am sure they would find out it takes a lot of time and effort

Not really the issue.

Quoted from gambit3113:

I would like to see one post or statement that didn't self-promote, self-congratulate, make reference to the EPIC-ness of something, or otherwise comment on how awesome you, your Facebook friend total, or something else about you is. Such humble brag. Such look at me. It becomes grating on the nerves.

^^^This

Quoted from Classic_Stern:

The sad part is this self promotion will go on and on. It just does not stop. The need of constant validation from the outside. Kinda like an Evangelist

^^^This

There are underlying tones that if you look back through the posts are divided by people that are local and people that are not. Jared is toooooo much in your face with EVERYTHING he does and locally we are just bombarded by it day in and day out (if not literally it sure feels like it). Two words come to mind: Narcissistic and Ingratiation.

I do not like nor hate Jared...I am Switzerland. I am happy to take his money at a game of the silverball while being antagonistic and condescending at the same time (you know throws your opponent of his game). What I do absolutely loathe is how he has single handedly put a dark cloud over the local DFW pinball community. Yes Jared, like it or not, accept it or not you have. You were offered some advice in Chicago (not by me), something along the lines of "try just being a part OF the party and not always BEING the party". Try it dude, you might like it and I think 90% of us locally would too. I still think he as some strong attributes that could have done a lot for the local pinball scene but sadly I think most bridges around here are busy smoldering.

Oh and least I not forget that Jared is solely responsible for the fact that EPIC has become a four letter word in the local pinball community here. I cringe every time I hear it, no matter the context.

Just my opinion...maybe I'm wrong.

#357 10 years ago

To anyone whom I have hurt, I am sorry.

One of my main motives and goals is to promote pinball to the general community, increase its impact, interest, participation and community. To this regard, I now try to incorporate pinball and vintage gaming into nearly any public event that I do.

I never wanted to be a dark cloud. I wanted to be fresh air. Something different... something fun... something new.

Im sorry.

#358 10 years ago

Marc, that post is truly EP..... Oops, too soon?

#359 10 years ago

Since I opened the door I suppose I will walk through it.

Quoted from Jared:

To anyone whom I have hurt, I am sorry.

Second verse same as the first. Been there done that. Heard it all before. Broken record.

Quoted from Jared:

One of my main motives and goals is to promote pinball to the general community, increase its impact, interest, participation and community.

I believe deep down this to be true. Your methods are just not appreciated locally.

Quoted from Jared:

I never wanted to be a dark cloud.

It's what you have though. Fix it! I'm not blowing smoke up your ass, you have good attributes you are just so F'ing grating.

#360 10 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

Since I opened the door I suppose I will walk through it.

Second verse same as the first. Been there done that. Heard it all before. Broken record.

I believe deep down this to be true. Your methods are just no appreciated locally.

It's what you have though. Fix it! I'm not blowing smoke up your ass, you have good attributes you are just so F'ing grating.

Grating where... on facebook?

The content you see online is yours to control. My ability to "grate" you can be removed in a click.

Report-Block-Someone-On-Facebook.pngReport-Block-Someone-On-Facebook.png

#361 10 years ago

Jared,

For what this is worth. Next time you need to make tons of money so at least you get paid for the criticism. I feel for you dude....you lose a ton of money....work on your birthday and get stressed.......and you are getting grief. Please, next time PM me and I will help make sure you budget conservatively so you make $10K or more. Then when you get the grief at least you can look at your bank account and laugh rather then having to take grief as you put your pins and vids up for sale to pay the negative balance you incurred.

Just move to the east coast and throw some parties this way.....I am sure you will be more appreciated up this way !!!! Maryland is a great place to live......damn, the parties you could throw !!! Plenty of pinheads up this way and your intentions seem genuine....come on guys the guy basically paid people $100 to bring a game......looking back he should have just forgot the pinball room and took the $100 rather then let them bring a game. Live and learn....next time I would just leave out the pinball plus you have one less thing to worry about.....problem solved !!!

#362 10 years ago

Whoah there Nellie! Seems like we have friends at cross purposes here. And they ALL like pinball so they have something in common outside of Big D . My advice, which I know you are clamoring for, is to try out some of that legal stuff from Colorado and chill

Did not go but wish I could have. Gimmicks and kitsch can be fun.

Ease up!

#363 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Grating where... on facebook?

Well...yeah, it's the only forum you have complete control over. The ability to pick and choose post.

I did the block the Epic Party FB thing. Hell I don't know how I even started getting notifications on it as I certainly didn't ask for them, I think. Even with that being done you are EVERYWHERE, I gave up running and hiding.

#364 10 years ago
    Quoted from houseofpin:

Jared,
    For what this is worth. Next time you need to make tons of money so at least you get paid for the criticism. I feel for you dude....you lose a ton of money....work on your birthday and get stressed.......and you are getting grief. Please, next time PM me and I will help make sure you budget conservatively so you make $10K or more. Then when you get the grief at least you can look at your bank account and laugh rather then having to take grief as you put your pins and vids up for sale to pay the negative balance you incurred.
    Just move to the east coast and throw some parties this way.....I am sure you will be more appreciated up this way !!!! Maryland is a great place to live......damn, the parties you could throw !!! Plenty of pinheads up this way and your intentions seem genuine....come on guys the guy basically paid people $100 to bring a game......looking back he should have just forgot the pinball room and took the $100 rather then let them bring a game. Live and learn....next time I would just leave out the pinball plus you have one less thing to worry about.....problem solved !!!

Thanks for being kind. I could not call is "Jared's" event without pinball. I want the public to identify me with the games. Its a part of a larger plan. Pinball is here to stay and I am going to do my best to get the word out to the people well beyond this forum and facebook user groups.

East coast tour may be in the cards, but I need to wrap up loose ends in Dallas first before I make any more "epic" plans.

#365 10 years ago
    Quoted from houseofpin:

Just move to the east coast and throw some parties this way.....

Crowd Tilt

#366 10 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Whoah there Nellie! Seems like we have friends at cross purposes here. And they ALL like pinball so they have something in common outside of Big D . My advice, which I know you are clamoring for, is to try out some of that legal stuff from Colorado and chill
    Did not go but wish I could have. Gimmicks and kitsch can be fun.
    Ease up!

I actually have to agree with Roomy......maybe next time we do the party in Colorado !!!! Probably the two hour wait in line would have not seemed as bad.......

#367 10 years ago

Rec.Games.Pinside

#368 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I want the public to identify me with the games. Its a part of a larger plan.

And there it is...

#369 10 years ago

*slowly backs out*

tumblr_m1m44sx3cq1r9f8tk.giftumblr_m1m44sx3cq1r9f8tk.gif
    #370 10 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

Well...yeah, it's the only for forum you have complete control over. The ability to pick and choose post.
    I did the block the Epic Party FB thing. Hell I don't know how I even started getting notifications on it as I certainly didn't ask for them, I think. Even with that being done you are EVERYWHERE, I gave up running and hiding.

I am everywhere on purpose. If I had it my way I would be on billboards, radio, TV and facebook streams 7 days a week. I am a professional marketer... the more visibility I have... the more valuable I become. My vehicles are 3D billboards... my privacy settings are on public... I purposely live in a way that is more visible so that I have the ability to market what my clients pay me to do. Its how I make a living.

My plan is to benefit pinball in the process. Make people remember them... play them... buy them... want them. To do my part. Visibility is key. Its the secret sauce. And yes, I want to use the power for good.

Dark Cloud... I believe you... and I want it to be gone. The pinball weather man just called and the forecast for 2014 is clear and sunny... and we will all get along.

Or so I hope.

#371 10 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

And there it is...

So?

If it goes how I intend, you... me... and everyone here will benefit. So stop kicking me in the nuts and start patting me on the back. I am one of the good guys and I am on team "Lets make pinball kickass again".

#372 10 years ago

You got National exposure. On TV. It would be interesting to know how many Pinball machines get sold/moved/bought because of it. You know people who might have played a game and are now looking for one. It would be really cool to know if any NIB Stern's are purchased as a result of the exposure.

#373 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I am everywhere on purpose. If I had it my way I would be on billboards, radio, TV and facebook streams 7 days a week.

Narcissistic

Quoted from Jared:

I am a professional marketer... the more visibility I have... the more valuable I become. My vehicles are 3D billboards... my privacy settings are on public... I purposely live in a way that is more visible so that I have the ability to market what my clients pay me to do. Its how I make a living.

But you seem to mostly market yourself. I see much more of what is going on with you than your clients. Ask me to tell you about your clients. I can't, other than the go cart place and I assume you have more than one client. But, I can sure tell you a lot about you.

#374 10 years ago

Hallelujah?!?!? (Yawn)

#375 10 years ago

Yeah. It is the "ME and pinball" thing. There is no interest in just being a part of a group and community that has enjoyed a common interest and thrived in this hobby for years before you found it. Frankly, we have the 2nd biggest and greatest pinball event on Earth here every year, and that was put together by an amazing group of local pinheads that were doing things pretty well for many years. Your 55,000 Facebook friend promotions have just kinda blown up and been messy, and ruffled some feathers. Want to learn how to stage an epic pinball event and not have to have a second round of fundraising to stay in the black? Watch Ed and the guys put together TPF. You were in with that group, but got tied up in so much other "ME and pinball" stuff that the ship sailed on you. That isn't endearing to the pinhead community in your own backyard. Sorry, but it is true.

#376 10 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

You got National exposure. On TV. It would be interesting to know how many Pinball machines get sold/moved/bought because of it. You know people who might have played a game and are now looking for one. It would be really cool to know if any NIB Stern's are purchased as a result of the exposure.

Well... this is nothing. Nationally speaking, what I have done (so far) will not sell any pins. You might have noticed that the AOL TV sport started off with pins in the background... which is something I insisted on. This is just to put the idea in the back of people heads... wow that Jared guy is always around pinball machines... Now, the party itself... yeah 1300 people got to play pins for 7 hours who are not owners or pin owners...

The "Larger Plan" is a pinball reality TV show that is in the works.

If that goes down, pinball machines will have a similar story to duck commander duck calls. And all of us will benefit as a result. Thats the plan. And its not crazy. Remarkably, Mark "Elevation Games" is likely to be a part of the same plan, although I would guess he is far less excited about it than me.

Which is why the show will be hilarious.

#377 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Rec.Games.Pinside

Okay, I wasn't going to post anything else, but this is seriously the funniest post of the thread aside from "Dick of the Day"

#378 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I am everywhere on purpose. If I had it my way I would be on billboards, radio, TV and facebook streams 7 days a week. I am a professional marketer... the more visibility I have... the more valuable I become. My vehicles are 3D billboards... my privacy settings are on public... I purposely live in a way that is more visible so that I have the ability to market what my clients pay me to do. Its how I make a living.
    My plan is to benefit pinball in the process. Make people remember them... play them... buy them... want them. To do my part. Visibility is key. Its the secret sauce. And yes, I want to use the power for good.
    Dark Cloud... I believe you... and I want it to be gone. The pinball weather man just called and the forecast for 2014 is clear and sunny... and we will all get along.
    Or so I hope.

Ugh. Full admission of the putrid and self righteous promotion. Man, we don't need a savior.

#379 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

So?

If it goes how I intend, you... me... and everyone here will benefit.

Maybe I'm short sited and closed minded. Or, just beat down.

Quoted from Jared:So stop kicking me in the nuts and start patting me on the back.

Absolutely, not a problem! Give me a reason to.

Quoted from Jared:I am one of the good guys

Never said you weren't. Actually I think I said you have strong attributes that COULD have benefited the local pinball scene.

#380 10 years ago

TNT Amusements???

#381 10 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

Never said you weren't. Actually I think I said you have strong attributes that COULD have benefited the local pinball scene.

Could have? I am still here... I still want to do that. That is what I am here to do. I want to help.

#382 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Remarkably, Mark "Elevation Games"

Good gawd, really. marC, it's in my F'ing screen name.

Quoted from Jared:

The "Larger Plan" is a pinball reality TV show that is in the works.

That is the "larger plan"? Meh.

Quoted from Jared:

MarC "Elevation Games" is likely to be a part of the same plan, although I would guess he is far less excited about it than me

Something we agree on.

#383 10 years ago

If Marc becomes a reality TV star...damn I got nothing.

#384 10 years ago

What the hell? What kind of condition is Varkon in? Just noticed.

#385 10 years ago

What a unique and refreshing idea. How innovative. How unique

#386 10 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

What the hell? What kind of condition is Varkon in? Just noticed.

Fully restored and amazing. Better be at TPF if you want to buy it.... Just sayin'

#387 10 years ago
    Quoted from BarrySanders:

What a unique and refreshing idea. How innovative. How unique » YouTube video

Todd is awesome. I love that man.

#388 10 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Fully restored and amazing. Better be at TPF if you want to buy it.... Just sayin'

Find it in the Great Texas Pinball Auction!!!

#389 10 years ago

Marc and I would be great as reality stars. Couple of sailor cussing dicks with no patience for horseshit. Hey, wait....

He would have to introduce me each week, since no one else knows who I am. I stick to the shadows.

#390 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Find it in the Great Texas Pinball Auction!!!

Promote!!!!

#391 10 years ago

The guy in that video is the guy that trashes people all the time right?

I thought it was a Varkon vid LOL .

That's only the second one I have seen for sale.

Pinball Reality TV though...Survivor style I say. Price police can boot you off. Trolls under every bridge.

#392 10 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

The guy in that video is the guy that trashes people all the time right?
    I thought it was a Varkon vid LOL .
    That's only the second one I have seen for sale.
    Pinball Reality TV though...Survivor style I say. Price police can boot you off. Trolls under every bridge.

Thats reality TV if I have ever heard it...

#393 10 years ago

85 people would watch a pinball reality show. Hell, I wouldn't wach that crap, most likely. Again, the hobby doesn't need kitsch and lipstick on dogs. You aren't a better marketer or promoter than the guys that were being paid like rock stars in the pinball heyday. And those guys ended up polishing brass on the Titanic. Vanilla Ice and a monkey aren't the long lost answer to making pinball turn the clock to 1993. Well, not literally, at least. A fun party was had and that is awesome. But the "big plan" to make yourself a Titan of American marketing fame, with a dash of pinball flair.....man, come on. Asking people to put their own machines on the floor of one of these flimsy run events is just continually asking for more and more trouble. It isn't about bring people to pinball. It is bringing people to you, and using local guys in the hobby to help you achieve your interests. And it is getting obvious.

#394 10 years ago

To this day I can't decide if Jared Guynes is a person who truly means to do good or if he's someone who's only out for himself and is willing to let everyone else help him get there along the way. I think in the end it's somewhere in the middle of the two. Aside from not being able to shut his mouth, I think his biggest downfall is not being able to follow through on his word.

tl;dr Jared has lots of burned bridges. Also has left many reasons why nobody wants to keep faith with what he has to say anymore, since it's no doubt going to involve the words 'me' and 'epic'. I'm sorry, it's long. I'm tired of you guys whining how great Jared is and how mean us Dallas folks are, however.

The local DFW group had a blowout, there were many words exchanged on both sides, in the end Jared was removed from the group. I'm not a moderator, for the record. I will /never/ understand why people can't be adults, say what they want to say to one another, and if you have that many problems with another person ... just squelch them. Apparently there's a lot of folks who can't or haven't figured out the squelching portion. I'm pretty sure the other biggest reason why he was kicked had to do with his first OMFGEPIC party and how that was handled, and some private messages between him and some of the moderators. Regardless, I'm not a mod, and I can't speak for them. I just live in Dallas and like to play pinball.

After the group mods kicked him out Josh (Frax) and I invited Jared over to our place not only to play some pinball, but to try and figure out what in the hell had happened, and what if anything we could do about it - as Josh and I both feel like it's really dumb to ban someone over words. It's not like he's threatening someone's safety in real life, or tracking down their personal information and address, or anything of that nature. He's a really, really nice guy in person. Online, he's simply annoying (at best) and antagonistic (at worst).

(here's where we get to those bridges, anyone local can feel free to correct me anywhere - I've slept and all that)

DFW EPIC Arcade House Party: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jared-guynes-presents-ultimate-arcade-house-party-ifpa-rockwall-tx-8313

Jared asks folks to bring machines to his party, his goal is to fill a friends' business storefront with machines and have a bunch of people come play pinball. Compared it to a summer Texas Pinball Festival. All profits were to be donated to the Scottish Rite in the name of the DFW Pinball club. Sounds great. Drinks were provided (soda and beer), the event was BYOB, and on a donation basis. He had pre-registration in order to get a head count and have plastic name tags/lanyards available. There was a food truck that was originally going to be free as well, this was later changed and he asked if people wanted to eat that they contribute some money towards that/the drinks. T-Shirts were also sold. This was added a few days before the event actually occurred: "PS: BRING MONEY TO DONATE!!! THIS EVENT HAS GONE ABOUT $1000 OVER BUDGET!!! LOL. HELP US OUT! THANKS!!!"

Problems happened when he came up short on funds for the food truck. Seems as though more people ate than paid. He also claimed to not be making a profit on the t-shirt funds - but the price of them went up closer to/at the party. There was no money donated to the Shriners, and I honestly don't know how he and his friend who owned the storefront came out financially in the end. I know that Josh and I donated well above what he was asking for - and we didn't even eat any of the barbecue. His wife makes great cupcakes?

IMO the biggest issue was the constant in your face promotion, the massive overuse of the word 'EPIC', and how things kept changing - free is not free, donation is not donation... there were people who afterward said that they were in the middle of a pinball game and had Jared come up and shove the donation box in their face asking if they contributed.

DFW Epic Vanilla Ice Birthday Bash - This section is going to be in a timeline, as I have a full timeline reference to go by:

Middle of last November. Jared's 30th birthday dream is to have Vanilla Ice sing at his party. He starts talking about it, asks for 350 "Likes" on his Facebook status in order to pursue his dream. The dude has FIVE THOUSAND Facebook friends and who knows how many followers. I'm sure he had his 350 likes before I made it to the bathroom that morning. Party on, Garth.

The Crowdtilt page is opened. Original plan is to raise 35k, the list of 'features' is at six - Vanilla Ice, Ninja Turtles, Diamond Jim the magic man, the DeLorean from Back to the Future, and two sponsors - some tequila company and his friend's phone repair business (the same friend from party #1 above - who I will say I have met multiple times and even visited his business and had work done. Prices are great, he's a nice guy in person, etc, etc. Full disclosure and all that.). 17.5k for Vanilla, 17.5k to cover everything else. Tickets are $50/person. By the 20th he's talking Coolio, few other acts and the arcade over the next few days...

Then we come to the 27th.

Jared Guynes: "Your RSVP says "going" but I assure you, you are not going until you purchase your ticket... and as a matter of fact... we aren't going until you purchase your ticket either!

It costs $0 to click "going" on an event, and believe me, I hope that all 409 people that have so far really do. And to the 217 "Maybe" RSVPs, I hope you do too...

But there is the meat and potatoes.

We must reach our TILT goal by 12/16/13. 100% of it. If you have contributed by then: you are coming. If you have not: you are not.

There will not be tickets at the door. Period.

There will not be tickets later when you are sure. No.

There will not be tickets when you decide this is epic and worth your time.

This event is also a REWARD for all of the people willing to believe... willing to put up their hard earned money to make it REAL... we are already 54% of the way there...

I hope that the HUNDREDS of you whom say you intend to come... I hope that you all make it real with a monetary pledge. Once we tilt... you are in: or out.

Better today than later. Lets do it."

Did you guys catch that? No tickets sold after December 16th, no tickets at the door. Okay.

--December 3rd--

JARED'S EPIC PARTY 2014
    A 100% Crowd Funded Super Party Featuring Vanillia Ice, the TMNT and MUCH More!

http://epicpartydallas.com/

TICKET PRICE WILL INCREASE TO $55 ON 12/7/13 AT MIDNIGHT CST

(Wait, I thought Jared said that tickets were $50 and if you didn't get your ticket purchased you weren't going. Huh? --Apparently changing your terms mid Crowdtilt are completely okay according to their ToS--)

This is also the first plea for machines and free $100 VIP tickets: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-am-hiring-vanilla-ice-to-perform-at-my-party/page/4#post-1284910

December 5th - "You must buy a ticket by 12/15/13 at the very latest. That's it. At this time we have no plans to sell tickets after this point. The longer you wait, the more the tickets could cost. Don't delay, act today." (Notice this was the first warning about future price hikes and ticket sales.)

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/p720x720/1454593_10201899483302456_891506713_n.jpg : Nerf battle announced, Guinness record attempt, all guns to be donated to Scottish Rite. (Since there wasn't any money donated the first time...)

December 9th - Campaign tilted, Jared confirms that ticket sales will continue until the end of the campaign. It's also when Jared posted this http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pin-4500-could-buy shopping for a new machine. Very interesting.

December 14th - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152139504284516&set=a.248435289515.138932.514189515&type=1

December 16th - Campaign ended at $73,178.69. Jared posts this on Facebook: "So I knew some of you guys would be asleep or lazy and miss my ticket deadline. So, I donated $2,035 last night myself and bought 37 general admission tickets. Because I knew this would happen. Heh.

I will sell the 37 tickets for $55 each, or $110 a pair while supplies last. Paypal only. Send money to [email protected] as a gift, no fees. Include your name and phone number in the payment.

Remember you have to be 18+ to attend, 21+ preferred. This will likely be the only tickets sold after CROWDTILT. Good luck.

Offer only good while supplies last."

December 29th - Additional tickets announced for sale. $75 price. ""We’ve got more tickets! After making final counts and venue upgrades, we’ve got the ability to offer more tickets to this magical once in a lifetime event. Once these are gone there will literally be no more. We can’t make any more venue upgrades, no more capacity. We are booked solid once these are gone!" Jared posts this: https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1503865_10202233055721842_819428275_n.jpg (It sure does appear that he's scalping tickets to his own event, and notice the firm NO MORE?)

****Jared posts this video

to the group/Facebook, it also goes mini-viral, is covered by local media, Huff Post, a few other places****

December 30th - This campaign is found: https://www.crowdtilt.com/campaigns/fox-4-charged-me-100-for-video-clip Where Jared, after raising 73k in another campaign and is shopping for personal pinball machines on Pinside, asks his followers (sycophants?) to pay for HIS Fox4 video clip that cost a hundred dollars.

"1. I would like to get the $100 back. I am too proud to ask for your help, but I was told I should request it here on crowdtilt. Thats it. Just the $100 I spent on the clip.
    2. ANY ADDITIONAL FUNDS from this tilt over $100 will be spent on food, goods, clothing and packages for the HOMELESS, to be given out in Dallas over the next 30 days. I will out every dollar raised to good use for people in need. "

At this point this was posted by one of our local members: "I'm waiting for the crowdtilt beg-a-thon after the party b/c the chances of him going over budget one way or another have got to be pretty high. He's quite adept at spending other people's money."

February 5th - Jared posts to his followers asking for some "likes" so he can get a free engine. When criticized, he replies with "In case you missed it, I asked the internet for $35,000 in December and got $75,000 instead. This was to throw a huge party. And I'm throwing it.

My point is, when I asked for money... I got it. Now I'm simply asking for likes... Should be even easier."

February 6th - ""Only 4 $75 tickets left then the final 100 go up to $100/ea. No more ever after that. No exceptions."

February 14th - "To everyone selling their tickets: really?

Like... I get it. Life happens. Jobs... obligations... kids... etc...

But listen to me, and look into my digital eyes when I say this. I am not exaggerating, or blowing this out of proportion. I mean what I am about to say from the bottom of my heart.

Many years from now... when you look back upon your life... and you reflect on all that you ever did... or ever accomplished... I fully intend... on your list to go like this.

1. The day that you got married.
    2. The days you child(ren) were born.
    3. That time in 2014 when you went to Jared's Epic Party

Yes. Yes. I said it. I mean it. I actually mean it.

I want this... no... this WILL be... a top 5 moment in your life. This will be something you never... ever forget... ever... your whole life.

I cant even remember what happened to me last week. lol

When you put your tickets up for sale... or debate to buy one... really... think about what you would do instead. Will you EVER have a chance to to it again? Because this party folks... this is... ONCE IN A LIFETIME.

For me... I could never put a price on it. You cant put a price on something so big... so important... so unique... so memorable... so EPIC.

So before you hop online talking about "someone paypal me $75 bucks because my mom wants to go to Applebees" you really... really... really need to consider what you are doing.

I am pulling out all the stops... only 1300 people will get to be a part of this. Will you?"

(Sometime between this and the end of the party the price went up AGAIN to $100 - since I don't have an exact date stamp on it, it's in parenthesis.)

Party day. Jared has a total of 46 "features", the first 18 of which were listed before the 10th of December - which means that the remaining 28 would have had to have been paid for by the additional ticket sales (explains the additional sales, I suppose). All of the issues with the party itself have been covered in this thread already. Some of them even made Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Dallas/comments/1yo4rg/the_line_out_back_of_gilleys_for_the_ninja_turtle/ The event page is a curious mix of "OMGITWASAWESOME" and "this event didn't live up to the hype" - the latter of which is quickly flamed and trolled by an army of JaredFollowers™.

Remember those Nerf guns? https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/p180x540/1897666_10153921266285438_806974493_n.jpg Jared posts his charity donation receipt for his donation of 383 Nerf guns (used, no doubt contaminated by sweat and alcohol) with a grand total of $7000. The receipt is from a place called Buckner - who's mission appears to be giving shoes to underprivileged kids. They also sent humanitarian aid to Kenya. So either a bunch of orphan kids are going to have to strap Nerf guns to their feet or we are shipping them all to Kenya to be used by their army.

Among other things, Jared links this video http://on.aol.com/video/inside-the-most-epic-party-of-all-time-518133929?icid=bottom_related_thumb_3 The most telling quote is at the end: "I'm Jared Guynes, and I've had so much fun spending your money."

Finally, this is posted to Crowdtilt: https://www.crowdtilt.com/campaigns/help-finish-paying-for-jareds-epic-party
    To which, Jared himself contributes. You'd think that when there's a set amount that people's cards will be charged at that it would look strange if the beneficiary is pushing the amount towards that total so that the slot machine, so to speak, would pay out. You'd think.

**What did we learn from that massive wall of text?**

Jared epics and epics and hypes and promises and in the end, it always seems like he's coming up short. He invokes the word 'charity' and doesn't deliver (when handling other peoples money, this seems particularly offensive). No matter the situation, he replies with a smile and an apology. He then tells you that he enjoys spending your money.

#395 10 years ago

Quiddity, when you put all that into a timeline, it really just stands out and stares you right in the face. I live in OKC so i'm not technically a part of the DFW group. However, I have some very close friends in DFW that more or less warned me about this.

My original post to the VIP was not a dig on Jared or the party, but just how it fell short.

In fact, I was ok with his direct response to me regarding this.

I have learned my lesson and will never contribute any more money to anything he does. But reading your timeline, it does seem alot less black and white and that there may be more shady things going on than what I initially thought.

#396 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Thats reality TV if I have ever heard it...

So here you go spouting about something that isn't ..We don't know Jared. Just cannot keep your tongue in your mouth.

#397 10 years ago
    Quoted from Quiddity:

To this day I can't decide if Jared Guynes is a person who truly means to do good or if he's someone who's only out for himself and is willing to let everyone else help him get there along the way. I think in the end it's somewhere in the middle of the two. Aside from not being able to shut his mouth, I think his biggest downfall is not being able to follow through on his word.
    tl;dr Jared has lots of burned bridges. Also has left many reasons why nobody wants to keep faith with what he has to say anymore, since it's no doubt going to involve the words 'me' and 'epic'. I'm sorry, it's long. I'm tired of you guys whining how great Jared is and how mean us Dallas folks are, however.
    The local DFW group had a blowout, there were many words exchanged on both sides, in the end Jared was removed from the group. I'm not a moderator, for the record. I will /never/ understand why people can't be adults, say what they want to say to one another, and if you have that many problems with another person ... just squelch them. Apparently there's a lot of folks who can't or haven't figured out the squelching portion. I'm pretty sure the other biggest reason why he was kicked had to do with his first OMFGEPIC party and how that was handled, and some private messages between him and some of the moderators. Regardless, I'm not a mod, and I can't speak for them. I just live in Dallas and like to play pinball.
    After the group mods kicked him out Josh (Frax) and I invited Jared over to our place not only to play some pinball, but to try and figure out what in the hell had happened, and what if anything we could do about it - as Josh and I both feel like it's really dumb to ban someone over words. It's not like he's threatening someone's safety in real life, or tracking down their personal information and address, or anything of that nature. He's a really, really nice guy in person. Online, he's simply annoying (at best) and antagonistic (at worst).
    (here's where we get to those bridges, anyone local can feel free to correct me anywhere - I've slept and all that)
    DFW EPIC Arcade House Party: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jared-guynes-presents-ultimate-arcade-house-party-ifpa-rockwall-tx-8313
    Jared asks folks to bring machines to his party, his goal is to fill a friends' business storefront with machines and have a bunch of people come play pinball. Compared it to a summer Texas Pinball Festival. All profits were to be donated to the Scottish Rite in the name of the DFW Pinball club. Sounds great. Drinks were provided (soda and beer), the event was BYOB, and on a donation basis. He had pre-registration in order to get a head count and have plastic name tags/lanyards available. There was a food truck that was originally going to be free as well, this was later changed and he asked if people wanted to eat that they contribute some money towards that/the drinks. T-Shirts were also sold. This was added a few days before the event actually occurred: "PS: BRING MONEY TO DONATE!!! THIS EVENT HAS GONE ABOUT $1000 OVER BUDGET!!! LOL. HELP US OUT! THANKS!!!"
    Problems happened when he came up short on funds for the food truck. Seems as though more people ate than paid. He also claimed to not be making a profit on the t-shirt funds - but the price of them went up closer to/at the party. There was no money donated to the Shriners, and I honestly don't know how he and his friend who owned the storefront came out financially in the end. I know that Josh and I donated well above what he was asking for - and we didn't even eat any of the barbecue. His wife makes great cupcakes?
    IMO the biggest issue was the constant in your face promotion, the massive overuse of the word 'EPIC', and how things kept changing - free is not free, donation is not donation... there were people who afterward said that they were in the middle of a pinball game and had Jared come up and shove the donation box in their face asking if they contributed.
    DFW Epic Vanilla Ice Birthday Bash - This section is going to be in a timeline, as I have a full timeline reference to go by:
    Middle of last November. Jared's 30th birthday dream is to have Vanilla Ice sing at his party. He starts talking about it, asks for 350 "Likes" on his Facebook status in order to pursue his dream. The dude has FIVE THOUSAND Facebook friends and who knows how many followers. I'm sure he had his 350 likes before I made it to the bathroom that morning. Party on, Garth.
    The Crowdtilt page is opened. Original plan is to raise 35k, the list of 'features' is at six - Vanilla Ice, Ninja Turtles, Diamond Jim the magic man, the DeLorean from Back to the Future, and two sponsors - some tequila company and his friend's phone repair business (the same friend from party #1 above - who I will say I have met multiple times and even visited his business and had work done. Prices are great, he's a nice guy in person, etc, etc. Full disclosure and all that.). 17.5k for Vanilla, 17.5k to cover everything else. Tickets are $50/person. By the 20th he's talking Coolio, few other acts and the arcade over the next few days...
    Jared Guynes: "Your RSVP says "going" but I assure you, you are not going until you purchase your ticket... and as a matter of fact... we aren't going until you purchase your ticket either!
    It costs $0 to click "going" on an event, and believe me, I hope that all 409 people that have so far really do. And to the 217 "Maybe" RSVPs, I hope you do too...
    We must reach our TILT goal by 12/16/13. 100% of it. If you have contributed by then: you are coming. If you have not: you are not.
    This event is also a REWARD for all of the people willing to believe... willing to put up their hard earned money to make it REAL... we are already 54% of the way there...
    I hope that the HUNDREDS of you whom say you intend to come... I hope that you all make it real with a monetary pledge. Once we tilt... you are in: or out.
    Did you guys catch that? No tickets sold after December 16th, no tickets at the door. Okay.
    --December 3rd--
    JARED'S EPIC PARTY 2014
    (Wait, I thought Jared said that tickets were $50 and if you didn't get your ticket purchased you weren't going. Huh? --Apparently changing your terms mid Crowdtilt are completely okay according to their ToS--)
    This is also the first plea for machines and free $100 VIP tickets: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/so-i-am-hiring-vanilla-ice-to-perform-at-my-party/page/4#post-1284910
    December 5th - "You must buy a ticket by 12/15/13 at the very latest. That's it. At this time we have no plans to sell tickets after this point. The longer you wait, the more the tickets could cost. Don't delay, act today." (Notice this was the first warning about future price hikes and ticket sales.)
    https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/p720x720/1454593_10201899483302456_891506713_n.jpg : Nerf battle announced, Guinness record attempt, all guns to be donated to Scottish Rite. (Since there wasn't any money donated the first time...)
    December 9th - Campaign tilted, Jared confirms that ticket sales will continue until the end of the campaign. It's also when Jared posted this http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pin-4500-could-buy shopping for a new machine. Very interesting.
    December 14th - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152139504284516&set=a.248435289515.138932.514189515&type=1
    December 16th - Campaign ended at $73,178.69. Jared posts this on Facebook: "So I knew some of you guys would be asleep or lazy and miss my ticket deadline. So, I donated $2,035 last night myself and bought 37 general admission tickets. Because I knew this would happen. Heh.
    I will sell the 37 tickets for $55 each, or $110 a pair while supplies last. Paypal only. Send money to [email protected] as a gift, no fees. Include your name and phone number in the payment.
    Remember you have to be 18+ to attend, 21+ preferred. This will likely be the only tickets sold after CROWDTILT. Good luck.
    December 29th - Additional tickets announced for sale. $75 price. ""We’ve got more tickets! After making final counts and venue upgrades, we’ve got the ability to offer more tickets to this magical once in a lifetime event. Once these are gone there will literally be no more. We can’t make any more venue upgrades, no more capacity. We are booked solid once these are gone!" Jared posts this: https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1503865_10202233055721842_819428275_n.jpg (It sure does appear that he's scalping tickets to his own event, and notice the firm NO MORE?)
    ****Jared posts this video » YouTube video
    December 30th - This campaign is found: https://www.crowdtilt.com/campaigns/fox-4-charged-me-100-for-video-clip Where Jared, after raising 73k in another campaign and is shopping for personal pinball machines on Pinside, asks his followers (sycophants?) to pay for HIS Fox4 video clip that cost a hundred dollars.
    "1. I would like to get the $100 back. I am too proud to ask for your help, but I was told I should request it here on crowdtilt. Thats it. Just the $100 I spent on the clip.
    2. ANY ADDITIONAL FUNDS from this tilt over $100 will be spent on food, goods, clothing and packages for the HOMELESS, to be given out in Dallas over the next 30 days. I will out every dollar raised to good use for people in need. "
    At this point this was posted by one of our local members: "I'm waiting for the crowdtilt beg-a-thon after the party b/c the chances of him going over budget one way or another have got to be pretty high. He's quite adept at spending other people's money."
    February 5th - Jared posts to his followers asking for some "likes" so he can get a free engine. When criticized, he replies with "In case you missed it, I asked the internet for $35,000 in December and got $75,000 instead. This was to throw a huge party. And I'm throwing it.
    My point is, when I asked for money... I got it. Now I'm simply asking for likes... Should be even easier."
    February 6th - ""Only 4 $75 tickets left then the final 100 go up to $100/ea. No more ever after that. No exceptions."
    But listen to me, and look into my digital eyes when I say this. I am not exaggerating, or blowing this out of proportion. I mean what I am about to say from the bottom of my heart.
    Many years from now... when you look back upon your life... and you reflect on all that you ever did... or ever accomplished... I fully intend... on your list to go like this.
    I want this... no... this WILL be... a top 5 moment in your life. This will be something you never... ever forget... ever... your whole life.
    When you put your tickets up for sale... or debate to buy one... really... think about what you would do instead. Will you EVER have a chance to to it again? Because this party folks... this is... ONCE IN A LIFETIME.
    For me... I could never put a price on it. You cant put a price on something so big... so important... so unique... so memorable... so EPIC.
    So before you hop online talking about "someone paypal me $75 bucks because my mom wants to go to Applebees" you really... really... really need to consider what you are doing.
    I am pulling out all the stops... only 1300 people will get to be a part of this. Will you?"
    (Sometime between this and the end of the party the price went up AGAIN to $100 - since I don't have an exact date stamp on it, it's in parenthesis.)
    Party day. Jared has a total of 46 "features", the first 18 of which were listed before the 10th of December - which means that the remaining 28 would have had to have been paid for by the additional ticket sales (explains the additional sales, I suppose). All of the issues with the party itself have been covered in this thread already. Some of them even made Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Dallas/comments/1yo4rg/the_line_out_back_of_gilleys_for_the_ninja_turtle/ The event page is a curious mix of "OMGITWASAWESOME" and "this event didn't live up to the hype" - the latter of which is quickly flamed and trolled by an army of JaredFollowers™.
    Remember those Nerf guns? https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/p180x540/1897666_10153921266285438_806974493_n.jpg Jared posts his charity donation receipt for his donation of 383 Nerf guns (used, no doubt contaminated by sweat and alcohol) with a grand total of $7000. The receipt is from a place called Buckner - who's mission appears to be giving shoes to underprivileged kids. They also sent humanitarian aid to Kenya. So either a bunch of orphan kids are going to have to strap Nerf guns to their feet or we are shipping them all to Kenya to be used by their army.
    Among other things, Jared links this video http://on.aol.com/video/inside-the-most-epic-party-of-all-time-518133929?icid=bottom_related_thumb_3 The most telling quote is at the end: "I'm Jared Guynes, and I've had so much fun spending your money."
    Finally, this is posted to Crowdtilt: https://www.crowdtilt.com/campaigns/help-finish-paying-for-jareds-epic-party
    To which, Jared himself contributes. You'd think that when there's a set amount that people's cards will be charged at that it would look strange if the beneficiary is pushing the amount towards that total so that the slot machine, so to speak, would pay out. You'd think.
    Jared epics and epics and hypes and promises and in the end, it always seems like he's coming up short. He invokes the word 'charity' and doesn't deliver (when handling other peoples money, this seems particularly offensive). No matter the situation, he replies with a smile and an apology. He then tells you that he enjoys spending your money.

He probably got booted because he lied so many times. Plan and simple. Hell that is how I met the guy through a lie.

#398 10 years ago

Jesus. There's nothing shady going on.

I put on an awesome party, spent every cent to make it possible , added in more stuff as we for more money, and ended up going over budget. Starting selling off my own stuff to pay down the debt, friends of mine started crowd sourcing help for me: against my own wishes.

I felt bad... and for some idiotic reason... donated $10... To myself? I don't know, I didn't want them to think they have to do this lifting for me.

The BUCKNER CHILDREDS HOME is an orphanage in Dallas. Look it up. The warehouse the guns were dropped off at is just for storage. Sheesh.

I'm not the devil. I have never profited a cent off a pinball event! Others do... (And there is nothing worn with that) ((and they use your games to do it)) (((and there is nothing wrong with that))). But I haven't.

Selling more tickets ($50, $55, $75, $100) gave me a $90,000 budget. I used every penny of that for a party that is good enough to make national headlines. It was a good time. I could have done better, but after hundreds of hours of work and 3 months of marketing I walk away with a bill.

I'm not a bad guy.

#399 10 years ago
    Quoted from Quiddity:

--December 3rd--
    JARED'S EPIC PARTY 2014
    ****Jared posts this video » YouTube video

It is amazing just this one party on how things played out and how you have said it perfectly. I think the classic line that I will remember forever after seeing $80k plus on some donation screen is.

"I enjoyed spending your money." ...And then everyone laughed. I kept this video for work and will use this as the poster child of a freudian slip. (In every statement there is alittle truth). Then today he has to raise another $6k.

Priceless....

#400 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

I'm not the devil. I have never profited a cent off a pinball event! Others do... (And there is nothing worn with that) ((and they use your games to do it)) (((and there is nothing wrong with that))). But I haven't.

TPF slam. Uncool.

There are 478 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jareds-epic-party-2014-vanilla-ice-coolio-tone-loc-rob-base-and-pinball/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.