(Topic ID: 138322)

JARED. Please pass this to Mr. Stern please.

By kklank

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 141 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Whysnow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2372636-stormwind.jpg
Sword_and_Shield1.jpg
playskull.jpg
419963.jpg
download.jpeg
Screen_Shot_2015-09-09_at_12.39.40_PM.png
got-th-compare.jpg
image.jpg
LFP_Participation.jpg
image.jpg
There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 years ago

Jared: Can you please forward this to Mr. Stern.
I'm not asking for a complete change in all artwork. But the backglass on the LE has a major flaw in my humble opinion.
Daenerys Targaryen (the blond haired woman)is a main character but the other 2 characters on the backglass have absolutely no place whatsoever on this backglass. None.
Mr. Stern, to put this in relative terms, if this was the TV show Mash, it would be like putting the Chaplin, and Corporal Klinger on the back glass. Where's Hawkeye, Radar, and Hot Lips Houlihan?
If this was the TV show Cheers, it would be like putting woody harrelson and Frazier Krane's wife on the front of the backglass. Where's Norm and Sammy?
If this was the TV show, All in the Family it would be like putting Sally Struthers and Meathead on the backglass. Where's Edith the dingbat and Archie?
I'm just wondering if you weren't aware of this Mr. Stern because just maybe you don't watch the TV show and you put your trust in the creative department and they had no idea of the choice they made which ultimately represents your name and your company. I'm a big supporter of Stern and I purchased most recently your Kiss LE. I was also recently quoted in one of your ads of TWDLE, stating how fantastic this machine is. I ultimately will most likely buy the LE of GOT but this choice of characters on this backglass clearly states that someone at your company is not heavily connected with this TV series.
I appreciate the hand drawn artwork. But please Mr. Stern, can you please ask your staff who are the main characters on this TV series and why in the heck aren't they on your backglass of your limited edition and most expensive machine because someone respectfully made a huge mistake. In the end, as mentioned before I will still purchase GOT because I really appreciate the product you put out for the public but it's just kind of a bummer.

#2 8 years ago

They're not on there because of licencing costs.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

They're not on there because of licencing costs.

Well why are they on the pro ?

#4 8 years ago

Tell him this too, "Stop raising prices for striped down games"

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Boy we are some bad spellers on this thread. Lol! I'm sure I misspelled somewhere also.

#6 8 years ago

(Who is Jared? Hope he's not that Subway bloke.)

And the artwork is very poor. Really hope there's a chance of it changing.

#7 8 years ago

It's Jake.....from state farm.

#8 8 years ago

i like your effort but do you think $tern really care?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from grifter:

(Who is Jared? Hope he's not that Subway bloke.)
And the artwork is very poor. Really hope there's a chance of it changing.

Jared does the Facebook promotion for Stern.....I think.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i like your effort but do you think $tern really care?

Maybe not but I really do like their product and I love the GOT series. Can't hurt to ask without getting angry and negative. That simply does no good.

#11 8 years ago

Gary will sell every game made. Pin is going to be great. Once a flipping video is up all of this art-pocolypse talk will stop. Just wait and see.

#12 8 years ago

Yeah I'm sure you're right. I personally think the game play looks spectacular.a

#13 8 years ago

Also would you walk into your bosses office, a man who knows how to make a pinball business work, even survive in the face of absolute disaster, and tell him he's made a mistake? Gary is gonna ship tons of this pin, make tons of money, every buyer will love it, while people bragging about their Hobbit and Alien pin are just staring at an empty space in the room.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Also would you walk into your bosses office, a man who knows how to make a pinball business work, even survive in the face of absolute disaster, and tell him he's made a mistake?

I absolutely would.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Also would you walk into your bosses office, a man who knows how to make a pinball business work, even survive in the face of absolute disaster, and tell him he's made a mistake?

I would and do expect that from my employees.

#16 8 years ago

It's like The Sopranos if they had Adriana, Danielle and Patsy Parisi on the back glass.

I already told my distributer that I will not be getting the LE because of the art. Frankly I don't think the are is so good on the side head either 'groins on fire'. But the side head is something I can overlook by burring the pin in the lineup.

The back glass
actual artwork I give it a C+
content I give it a F-
dynamic or intensity or telling. Story I give it a C+

I understand in the end the house of Tarragon will join the rest of the houses in Westeros but for 80% of the story they are not even on the same continent.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Also would you walk into your bosses office, a man who knows how to make a pinball business work, even survive in the face of absolute disaster, and tell him he's made a mistake? Gary is gonna ship tons of this pin, make tons of money, every buyer will love it, while people bragging about their Hobbit and Alien pin are just staring at an empty space in the room.

Yes, because the art on GOT looks terrible and the cabinet / backglass art almost amateurish. All models lack the Game of Thrones vibe that I thought they would have.

"Gary is gonna ship tons of this pin, make tons of money, every buyer will love it"....please just stop. People are fed up with the high prices, less features, no LCD, and Stern not pursuing additional licensing details. Hey who cares right? Take my $5k-$8k anyway! More and more people are starting to say no.

Personally, I don't drop $8k on a pin regularly (just like I don't buy a car regularly) so I don't mind waiting for a high quality feature packed game that fully utilizes a license such as Hobbit or Alien.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yes, because the art on GOT looks terrible and the cabinet / backglass art almost amateurish. All models lack the Game of Thrones vibe that I thought they would have.
"Gary is gonna ship tons of this pin, make tons of money, every buyer will love it"....please just stop. People are fed up with the high prices, less features, no LCD, and Stern not pursuing additional licensing details. Hey who cares right? Take my $5k-$8k anyway! More and more people are starting to saying no.
Personally, I don't drop $8k on a pin regularly (just like I don't buy a car regularly) so I don't mind waiting for a high quality feature packed game that fully utilizes a license such as Hobbit or Alien.

See what you did Kaneda? Now I am thumbing up Panzer!

#19 8 years ago

I've come to terms with a stripped down Pro version after 24 hours, but not having Khaleesi or Jon Snow on the translite or cabinet had me scratching my head. 2 of the favourites!!! Would be like AC/DC pin leaving out Angus. Sorry, you have to get the Premium if you want Angus".

The biggest issue of all with the Pro? It's Game of Thrones pinball and no throne included. What a tough financial climate we live in.

#20 8 years ago

Jared doesn't have to do a thing, Gary will be aware of this. I feel bad for Jared during a time like this. Nothing he can do. I admit it guys, they really f***** up this one. But I also think collectors are addicted to the next new thing and will gobble this up. Most collectors aren't on pinside. I know thing to accept but it's true

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Jared doesn't have to do a thing, Gary will be aware of this. I feel bad for Jared during a time like this. Nothing he can do. I admit it guys, they really f***** up this one. But I also think collectors are addicted to the next new thing and will gobble this up. Most collectors aren't on pinside. I know thats a hard thing to accept but it's true

#22 8 years ago

Unfortunately everything is more expensive these days. That includes the price for Stern to make these games. It's the same reason why $15/hour McDonalds employees means that you will now have to pay $10.00 for a Big Mac meal you used to get for $5.00...

Can't have your cake and eat it too. The economy is thriving and unemployment is low. People have disposable income, which means that everything you buy in the world is going to cost more. In the middle of the next recession, you can buy $5,000 pins again. Of course you won't be able to afford them being out of work and all...

#23 8 years ago

I'm not suggesting Stern will not sell a number of these pins, but it'll be more on the low side when it could possibly have been on the high side. Mainly due to the art. I think the layout looks cool especially on the LE. Also these pins still do not have a color display. For close to $8000, really sucks we need to buy a color DMD for an additional $400. So in the end I'm predicting more like The Avengers or TWD sales for this pin.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm not suggesting Stern will not sell a number of these pins, but it'll be more on the low side when it could possibly have been on the high side. Mainly due to the art.

Its all a setup... they'll sell plenty for now and then down the road do a VE with all new artwork and sell a ton more.

#25 8 years ago

I was in on this pin, but after seeing the art on the pro and LE, I am considering buy a MMR or getting back in on the Hobbit. Come on Stern!! You can see the Hobbit art package, what were you thinking?? Did you really think we all were going to buy 2-3 medieval themes?? Your job was to destroy the competition and you did the opposite! I am so afraid of what comic spidey will look like.......

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

I ultimately will most likely buy the LE of GOT but this choice of characters on this backglass clearly states that someone at your company is not heavily connected with this TV series.

You did good until this. Top-level people read that and go "Doesn't matter what we do; we still have people who can't help themselves and buy whatever we put out - change nothing!!!!!!"

#27 8 years ago

Purely hypothetical... but would Comic Spidey be treated as a new machine or as a VE? Just wondered if an LCD might make it onto this one

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Purely hypothetical... but would Comic Spidey be treated as a new machine or as a VE? Just wondered if an LCD might make it onto this one

Comic Spidey is being created to milk money out of an existing successful game.....my guess is, no chance for LCD and limited investment on recreating animations. That being said, my expectation is it will blow the original art package away.

#29 8 years ago

I'm hoping Todd McFarlane (or similar) artwork with new dots and color display

image.jpgimage.jpg

#30 8 years ago

I'm guessing somebody will eventually retheme a MM into a GoT and change all the artwork. Boom! New GoT!

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from JoelOmatik:

I'm guessing somebody will eventually retheme a MM into a GoT and change all the artwork. Boom! New GoT!

Or just retheme GOT into a real GOT pin. BOOM

#32 8 years ago

The thing with the artwork though is, HBO had to provide all the official images to Stern. Stern didn't just go take a couple images from Google Images. HBO's marketing/design department had to send them the high quality images to work with. So while HBO had to approve the final design, they also approved any images they sent to Stern to use in the artwork.

I don't watch the show, so I have no opinion of the characters. But there are a few levels of approval. This wasn't just Sterns fault.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from thearcadegeek:

Can't have your cake and eat it too. The economy is thriving and unemployment is low.

Unemployment low?

That would be like say Jon Snow's heavy friend (don't know his name) only weighs 150 pounds, because he isn't counting the other 150.

Anyway, I know the art for the game is on the blah side, but the more I look at the playfield layout, the more I see what could be a very exciting game.

I can't speak about AC/DC (haven't played it enough), but Star Trek is an exciting game.

#34 8 years ago

Somewhat agree. They are on there together because they are all from the same family. But, didn't the dude die in the first or second season?

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Somewhat agree. They are on there together because they are all from the same family. But, didn't the dude die in the first or second season?

I just finished the first season last night. He looked dead to me.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Daenerys Targaryen (the blond haired woman)is a main character but the other 2 characters on the backglass have absolutely no place whatsoever on this backglass. None.

This is like the "girl" version of Tron. The blonde chick was a minor character, but, she was a chick, and chicks sell.

Quoted from JoelOmatik:

Already been done into another medieval theme, and they included a min PF in the top left corner... and they have posted about this for a year... AND it looks a hellavah lot like what stern did.... and they noted this after the reveal....HMMM....!

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I absolutely would.

Same here.

Quoted from kaneda:

Why would giving him feedback be a negative thing? Don't be an ass kissing yes-man. A boss should be mature enough to accept criticism without taking it out on their employees.

#38 8 years ago

This further illustrates how members of Pinside have no idea how the internal art and sound decisions are made for a game. Gary has no say whatsoever about what is on the backless of a machine. And frankly, he shouldn't really care at all. The owner of the license has the final approval and they are typically VERY critical and specific about exactly what and who is on a specific backglass. They don't have to agree to any Stern demands. It's more often, exactly the opposite.

Remember that giant AMC logo on TWD? You think Stern actually wanted that ugly thing on the game?

#39 8 years ago

If it Jared from Subway, he gives a new meaning to the term had me your 6 inch.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

The thing with the artwork though is, HBO had to provide all the official images to Stern. Stern didn't just go take a couple images from Google Images. HBO's marketing/design department had to send them the high quality images to work with. So while HBO had to approve the final design, they also approved any images they sent to Stern to use in the artwork.
I don't watch the show, so I have no opinion of the characters. But there are a few levels of approval. This wasn't just Sterns fault.

Exactly.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from Wyopinball:

If it Jared from Subway, he gives a new meaning to the term had me your 6 inch.

I thought it was "eat fresh"

#42 8 years ago

K

Agreed.

IMHO I like the pro backglass much better, reflective of the show.

#43 8 years ago

The economy is thriving and unemployment is low.

Well, sure, if you consider 1 out of 3 adults not employed that's pretty low.

#44 8 years ago

The economy is thriving and unemployment is low.

The unemployment number is low... actual (real) unemployment and under employment is way too high. The economy is also far from thriving.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Unemployment low?
That would be like say Jon Snow's heavy friend (don't know his name) only weighs 150 pounds, because he isn't counting the other 150.

Yeah so 5 years ago it was 10% and today it's 5%. If you don't have a job today then you work in a bad industry or are lazy... Any "fuzzy math" people like to quote also existed 5 years ago when looking at the 10% figure.

on topic - it's too late to change the artwork, so threads like these are pointless. I'm more concerned with how it plays - people always come up with better artwork and the LE cabinet looks pretty good with the exception of the backglass. Give it a few months and someone will create an amazing one to swap with.

Also looking forward to seeing the premium artwork.

#46 8 years ago

Yeah so 5 years ago it was 10% and today it's 5%.

and only 2% actually believe this.

#47 8 years ago

Unfortunately everything is more expensive these days. That includes the price for Stern to make these games. It's the same reason why $15/hour McDonalds employees means that you will now have to pay $10.00 for a Big Mac meal you used to get for $5.00...
Can't have your cake and eat it too. The economy is thriving and unemployment is low. People have disposable income, which means that everything you buy in the world is going to cost more. In the middle of the next recession, you can buy $5,000 pins again. Of course you won't be able to afford them being out of work and all...

The economy is thriving?

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

The worst gum ever was/is Fruit Stripe. Remember that stuff? It tasted awesome for 3 seconds, then lost all flavor.

#49 8 years ago

Yeah so 5 years ago it was 10% and today it's 5%. If you don't have a job today then you work in a bad industry or are lazy... Any "fuzzy math" people like to quote also existed 5 years ago when looking at the 10% figure.
on topic - it's too late to change the artwork, so threads like these are pointless. I'm more concerned with how it plays - people always come up with better artwork and the LE cabinet looks pretty good with the exception of the backglass. Give it a few months and someone will create an amazing one to swap with.
Also looking forward to seeing the premium artwork.

I'll just have to tape a poster to the LE back glass on mine.

LFP_Participation.jpgLFP_Participation.jpg

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Jared: Can you please forward this to Mr. Stern.
I'm not asking for a complete change in all artwork. But the backglass on the LE has a major flaw in my humble opinion.

While I agree on the flaw, the backglass remains a nice rendering and 100% relevant to the show. I would put the LE backglass lower than a couple dozen more pressing issues with the playfield that are not at all related to the show.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,575 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jared-please-pass-this-to-mr-stern-please/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.