(Topic ID: 97527)

Japanese Pachinko Pinball Wall-Art: In game rooms anyone?

By Jean-Luc-Picard

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150406_192700.jpg
    20150406_192652.jpg
    IMAG0787.jpg
    SAM_0641.JPG
    SAM_0636.JPG
    178.JPG
    0625a19b-27b0-4736-81d7-8b3496fca55a_400.jpg
    20131130_114945.jpg
    DSC01104.JPG
    20140809_153700[1].jpg
    20140809_153657[1].jpg
    IMG_3176.jpg
    Too many Vintage Pachinkos!.jpg
    Power Flush Tulips open full face.jpg
    Monaco Angle.jpg
    New BR Line Up with Banners.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Picked up (2) Japanese Pachinko Pinball gambling machines today. "Do not attempt to carry (2) of them and walk about a mile. My forearms swelled up like the hulk. In a bad way.

Curious if any pinsiders have bought any "non-working" $20 Japanese Pachinko's and added them to your arcade room as wall art? I really like it. Before I hung it, I waxed it lol. Its right next to my Start Trek 25th, I think it has a nice look. But, its just an opinion.

j3.jpgj3.jpg
    j1.jpgj1.jpg
    j2.jpgj2.jpg

#2 9 years ago

If your patient, you can probably find working ones for around $50 on ebay or CL and have some fun with them.

#3 9 years ago

Looks Great! I enjoy my Nishijins now for 38 years! Unless you have major parts missing, they are no to hard to get working, and for me are a break in Pinball, to zone into the music of the balls cascading through the pins....like the chimes on an EM.
    I was retelling my story this weekend. I started with Pachinkos in 1972, being left to wander while my mother shopped
    in Fortunoffs, on Long Island. They just introduced them, and I would gladly go with her after I discovered them, simply to play for the hours she shopped. Of course, balls would jam, etc, and no onw knew what to do, so I took it upon myself to turn them around and dive in!
    This lead to a part time Job at 15-16 working for Pachinko Palace out of Georgia, that had stores in Orlando....
    fond memories, of restoring hundreds of them. My"tell" part was how we quickly wiped the used ashtray,. and quickly repainted silver over the ashes for resale.

Enjoy them as art, or to play! No more Carrying!

#4 9 years ago

I collect and restore both new and vintage Pachinkos its how I got started in Pinball.

Vintage machines are fantastic for wall art but they are even better when the wall art works.

GR From window.jpgGR From window.jpg New BR Line Up with Banners.jpgNew BR Line Up with Banners.jpg Monaco Angle.jpgMonaco Angle.jpg Power Flush Tulips open full face.jpgPower Flush Tulips open full face.jpg Too many Vintage Pachinkos!.jpgToo many Vintage Pachinkos!.jpg
    #5 9 years ago

Yeah, I've got a few. One was a Christmas gift from my folks back in '74 or so....

IMG_3176.jpgIMG_3176.jpg
    #6 9 years ago

Awesome! It would be cool to have a working one. Never played one before, but have seen many videos of people playing. All smoking and sitting on little chairs surrounded by buckets of balls. So funny that they have built in ash trays.

#7 9 years ago

I have 4 of them with custom built ball loading cabinets. I got into this before pinball, I very seldom play them but they do have a nice led display that adds to the gameroom ambience.

#8 9 years ago

When I have purchased them the seller's always say "it does not work". But they only have ~50 balls for the machine.

They need a few hundred to make them work. Inside they have a hopper for the payout. If the hopper is not full the machine won't let you launch any balls. It would be like a slot machine without any money to give a payout and that would make the customers very angry, so it won't let you play until it gets filled up.

Buy ~500 balls online, they are cheap. Fill up the top hopper and you maybe surprised that your machine works just fine. Once you start to fill the top hopper up you will see things start to move and understand what I am talking about.

The only thing I had to do on one was flip it around and hit it a few times with it at different angles to get some balls loose that got stuck in a weird spot and bound things up. The machines are not made to be kept at any angle other than straight up, but they end up getting stored at weird angles and balls end up in bizarre locations that they would ordinarily not be able to get into.

They are neat and I would encourage people to pick one up if they see one for sale. $100 is the top price in my mind for a nice one with a few hundred balls.

3 weeks later
    #9 9 years ago

Not to hijack the thread, but what are some good places to look on how to restore a 70's pachinko? I am picking one up in a few weeks but I don't think it works. I'll try the mg81's suggestion to add balls to the payout hopper.

If that is not the "fix" where do I start. Also doesn't look like there is a key for it. Anyone know where I could get one made?

It's a Kyoraku Sun-406 with what looks like a green monkey in the middle.

20140809_153700[1].jpg20140809_153700[1].jpg
    20140809_153657[1].jpg20140809_153657[1].jpg

#10 9 years ago

I'm sorta waiting for some star trek themed machines to come up for sale here in the USA.

#11 9 years ago

I have a Robocop one up in my gameroon right now.. And an old Nishijin one in storage I'll be selling one of these days when I get in a cleaning mood.

DSC01104.JPGDSC01104.JPG

Also have a couple Pachislo machines, no room for them so they will go eventually..

20131130_114945.jpg20131130_114945.jpg

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from orangestorm87:

Not to hijack the thread, but what are some good places to look on how to restore a 70's pachinko?

Go to Pachitalk.com and look and ask around.

1 month later
    #13 9 years ago

Just curious as to how you mounted them to the wall? I just picked up 2 at a yard sale for $20 each. I think they will look nice on the wall in my gameroom. Thinking of 2 ladder mounting brackets on the bottom and one on the top to mount each?

#14 9 years ago

I made my own bracket from some Aluminum. But, I should have used what I hang my Playfield art with. From home depot.

0625a19b-27b0-4736-81d7-8b3496fca55a_400.jpg0625a19b-27b0-4736-81d7-8b3496fca55a_400.jpg

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I made my own bracket from some Aluminum. But, I should have used what I hang my Playfield art with. From home depot.

0625a19b-27b0-4736-81d7-8b3496fc... 8 KB

What is that product called?

#16 9 years ago

Do it right and make a cabinet or sometimes they are available on eBay.

178.JPG178.JPG

#17 9 years ago

Here is a great set of plans to make a cabinet.

http://www.dc8.org/pachinkocab/

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from judremy:

What is that product called?

http://www.amazon.com/Hangman-Heavy-Duty-Mirror-Picture-Hanger/dp/B000IU12J0/ref=sr_1_2
    Not sure, but the home depot one can hold like 300 lbs or something. But this one would still work as long as you can tap in to at least one stud. You can find a few dozen different kind son amazon.

Quoted from luckymoey:

Do it right and make a cabinet or sometimes they are available on eBay.

A cabinet is good for a working one. Mine is just for looks and is no longer functional. All the guts have been removed.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

A cabinet is good for a working one. Mine is just for looks and is no longer functional. All the guts have been removed.

You should try a working one. They can't compete with pinball but are still a lot of fun. Like pinball, you can get ones from different eras from EM to the latest machines that are unbelievably sophisticated.

#20 9 years ago

I was trying to buy one that was Pinball Theme, with LED and flippers. But someone got to it before me.

Was $250 would have liked it a lot. I think this would be the only theme I would buy to play. If I see it again I will try to act faster. But I doubt I will ever see it again on CL.

#21 9 years ago

I have it. It's actually based on a popular Japanese singer but all the video centers on pinball and amusement park stuff - don't ask me why. There are working miniature flippers on a table below the video screen that you use in certain rounds. $250 is a great price. Would probably go closer to $500 on eBay to a collector.

#22 9 years ago

YEah it was a great price which is why it did not last long. I dont even see them on ebay. I dont imagine I will ever find one again. But I will keep an eye out.

5 months later
    #23 9 years ago

I have 6 machines. 3 are vintage 1 is about 20 yrs old and 2 are modern machines ET AND A GAMERA. they look great on the wall even more fun to play. They go great my Bally Skyrocket.

SAM_0636.JPGSAM_0636.JPG
    #24 9 years ago

A more recent picture of the growing wall art

SAM_0641.JPGSAM_0641.JPG
    #25 9 years ago

Just one but its enough for me
    IMAG0787.jpgIMAG0787.jpg

1 week later
    #26 9 years ago

Just moved into my new house, and has a house warming gift I was given this old pachinko machine found in my Grandmother's attic. After cleaning it up a bit and tweaking the mechanics on the back side it really works great. Next up is to get the lights working, though a couple of the switches are bent badly.

I think the center play-field looks like a monkey but everyone thinks I am crazy. I have noticed only one ball in all my games that actually went in the "monkey's eye" (two red pieces in the center). Its either a poor design, or I am just a bad player

20150406_192652.jpg20150406_192652.jpg20150406_192700.jpg20150406_192700.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/japanese-pachinko-pinball-wall-art-in-game-rooms-anyone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.