Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Atomicboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-6.jpg
    tumblr_mnb87rsKgB1s5or7ko3_500.gif
    #1 9 years ago

As of (I think) the 14th September website update my flag disappeared from under my avatar.

I'm not sure if my location has left Japan, or the Japanese flag is borked, but either way it's a bug

#2 9 years ago

Godzilla, perhaps???

#3 9 years ago

tumblr_mnb87rsKgB1s5or7ko3_500.giftumblr_mnb87rsKgB1s5or7ko3_500.gif

#4 9 years ago

Since it's the land of the rising sun it will probably be back in the morning...

#5 9 years ago

It is the morning

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from Excalabur:

As of (I think) the 14th September website update my flag disappeared from under my Avatar.

I blame Babymetal

#7 9 years ago

I'm still trying to figure out why pinball is not popular in Japan, it sure seems like a game/hobby they would enjoy.

#8 9 years ago

Sega used to make great pins.

image-6.jpgimage-6.jpg
    #9 9 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm still trying to figure out why pinball is not popular in Japan, it sure seems like a game/hobby they would enjoy.

That's.. a complicated question. I think the 'for amusement only' nature of it conflicts with the japanese desire to gamble on things: I believe that bingo games did quite well here, and pachinko obviously does. On my walk to the station I walk past three or four pachinko places, depending on my exact route, and each of them has probably 500 or more pachinko machines. There's also a lack of japanese language support for games (except for the native sega games, which are hard to find), which makes figuring out what's going on fairly difficult for the locals. There's also the sheer fact that importing them has always been the only option, and they're not cheap to ship.

Homes here are also small, which makes the home-collector market nonexistent.

There's a small but dedicated community in the greater Tokyo region, plus another one in Osaka/Kyoto. Unfortunately, the market is small enough that the new arcade in Osaka has drained much of the country of pins: they'll buy anything they can get their hands on, it seems, which has meant that pins are disappearing from bars and so on around the country.

#10 9 years ago

I have noticed some other flags have disappeared too. Should be added on Pinside Bug report... which I could not find !?

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from Excalabur:

That's.. a complicated question. I think the 'for amusement only' nature of it conflicts with the japanese desire to gamble on things: I believe that bingo games did quite well here, and pachinko obviously does. On my walk to the station I walk past three or four pachinko places, depending on my exact route, and each of them has probably 500 or more pachinko machines. There's also a lack of japanese language support for games (except for the native sega games, which are hard to find), which makes figuring out what's going on fairly difficult for the locals. There's also the sheer fact that importing them has always been the only option, and they're not cheap to ship.

Bearing on mind the Japs are pretty creative and at the cutting edge of technology, you'd have thought that they'd have come up with a pinball themselves... obviously ignoring the rest of the world and taking it to a new level of complexity, probably using much smaller balls so the playfield can be more packed with features, and from what you say, with a gambling slant...

The Czech flad is also missing by the way... probably stolen by the theiving politicians here!!!

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

Bearing on mind the Japs are pretty creative and at the cutting edge of technology, you'd have thought that they'd have come up with a pinball themselves... obviously ignoring the rest of the world and taking it to a new level of complexity, probably using much smaller balls so the playfield can be more packed with features, and from what you say, with a gambling slant...

Unfortunately for us, such devices lack three features that western pinball players enjoy:
    1. Flippers
    2. Nudging
    3. Having any idea what's going on.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Excalabur:

Unfortunately for us, such devices lack three features that western pinball players enjoy:
    1. Flippers
    2. Nudging
    3. Having any idea what's going on.

They wouldn't lack them if the Japanese made them...

By the way, I was in touch some years ago with a Japanese collector of pinball flyers... seeing as you're over there and in touch with the Japanese pinball scene, do you know anyone who collects the flyers?? I have 1000's of trades and am trying to find most of the old Jap-Sega flyers...

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

By the way, I was in touch some years ago with a Japanese collector of pinball flyers... seeing as you're over there and in touch with the Japanese pinball scene, do you know anyone who collects the flyers?? I have 1000's of trades and am trying to find most of the old Jap-Sega flyers...

I can ask around at the next tournament. The organiser hands out random flyers at the end of each event, so I assume that someone likes them. I'm never quite sure what to do with a random Xenon flyer (or what have you).

PM me and I'll get back to you eventually; I'm not sure I can make this month's tournament.

1 week later
    #15 9 years ago

Hooray, Japan exists again!

Thanks Robin

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Excalabur:

I think the 'for amusement only' nature of it conflicts with the japanese desire to gamble on things

That really explains it there along with the size constraints in Japan.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/japanese-flag-has-disappeared and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.