IMG_3756 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3367 (resized).jpeg
Code (resized).png
SP (resized).png
IMG_6525 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6524 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #115 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Missing rubber on Stern's replacement rubber chart. Posted by ShortCorky (1 year ago)

Post #1280 TECH: OS. Validation Error message solution Posted by Sheev_Palpatine (1 year ago)

Post #2050 MOD: CABINET. Alternate Translite Posted by Its_me_aj (1 year ago)

Post #2192 TECH:POWER. Phantom overcurrent error possible solution Posted by KSP1138 (1 year ago)

Post #2518 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Naked metal edging fix Posted by Ollulanus (1 year ago)

Post #3492 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Targets bricking fix Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Post #3729 TECH:LIGHTING Correct Bird One Tower lighting on Pros Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider doublestack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 1 year ago

Initial thoughts on machine in late Nov.

REPOSTED

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Picked up my bond pro for location a few days ago and I think I have enough time on it to give a few impressions for anyone that cares.
Visual/art-
Game looks better than in pictures and has a very fluid style that isn't disrupted from the cab to the playfield, it flows very well. They kept the same 60's style and color pallet from the original bond films and did a great job. Those that say this looks like photoshop era stern are way off. It may be clip art but there was direction and most importantly the colors flow very well. This is not early 2000's stern here. The yellow cab looks great and is bold in a subtle way if that makes sense.

Layout

This is where it gets good. THIS GAME HAS FLOW and it shoots VERY well. I am a Gomez fan and this layout doesn't disappoint. His willingness to try a different layout does not disappoint here. This feels unique but not clunky, DP players will like bond and it has "it" when you are making shots. I've noted through the years that his games have a certain easy to pick up and hard to master feeling, usually long playing for a decent player and bond is no different. I still route a sopranos for this same reason, casuals and decent players like it and bond will be no different. For my operators out there, this game will do VERY well on route, at least that's my opinion based on my past and its like, my opinion man!
Left ramp waayyy in the back feeding the left flipper into the right ramp to the horseshoe around the rocket to upper flip side ramp is a VERY satisfying combo! Whew that typed out long but man it shoots well. Hybrid pyramid type ramp reminds me of corvette or Baywatch and works well here. The drops in front of the rocket surprising work very well and there are a few different ways of feeding the upper flipper which is always a huge bonus in a 3 flipper game. Shots are tight but again it feels like a Gomez game and that's a good thing, once you get a feeling for them they aren't impossible and the reward for practice feels great. I'm having some issues with the game registering ball locks on the mini loop but it appears to be a code problem as the switches are fine. Code, ahh we will get to that...Back to the fun, and it really does feel like a refreshing layout. The scoop under the DB7 is just hard enough to hit but not constantly in the way slowing down the flow. It's my one complaint sometimes in a Borg layout and even going back to adams family, but I digress. The kicker to the wireworm from the car is great and makes a good feed to the right. Really great to see the up post in the insane holding a ball before a mode. Keith has been rocking this mech with great success and its nice to see a different designer implement it. The layout looks simple but packs a punch, and I know this is somewhat subjective but I believe this will go down as another home run from stern.

Sound/music

What can I say here, the Bond theme is ALL TIME awesome so let's get that out of the way. Yes at this time its used too much but I anticipate that changing in the future. The songs tied the villains really sound great and puts you in the movie for a brief time. The music feels period correct and that is important in a game like this to keep you in the world. Really love the mellow music in Mr Wint and Mr Kidd. The callouts have a bit to be desired, I really hope there is more to come here. The announcer is perfect however the clips and sounds from the movies are....odd. One that really is misplaced would be the ring mode for Q. People playing the mode all agreed that listening to a women complain to Q about nonsense while you play a mode is just weird. I know some of the sound effects are scheduled to change so I don't think its worth it to grind on what we have so far, but realize the sound, like the code is very basic.

Code

It's basic, as in just enough to be called a pinball machine basic. Modes do in fact stack and this is only brought up as it took us many games to realize this as the insert LEDs really don't alternate colors yet to give the player info. I'm still not sure how multipliers work or the how important the specter weapons are. Honestly there are many questions, too many to list and at this point I put faith that stern will make this complete. It ABSOLUTELY has the bones of a masterpiece and the code will be the key to get there. Those of us that remember ST, DP, and JP when they came out you will have similar vibes here. With the team in place and using the past as any example this one will go down as great.
Final thoughts-
Love it so far. Code is basic as it gets and hopefully improves soon. The layout and theme integration are TOP NOTCH. For those of us dedicated silver ball chronicles listeners :wink:we know that Gomez is a HUGE Bond fan and I truly believe he won't let this one rot away in basic code purgatory. Have faith people! This game is a blast to play and will hopefully earn well. It's sometimes a hard balance to strike but I have a good feeling that Bond will crush it.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Has anyone dealt with the eject seat ball going to the outlane? I've adjusted the habitrail but can't get it 100%. Some modder please make a nice looking cover to force the ball to the inlane or the shooter. My mock ups look like crap.

No issues here. I dropped the power a bit just because it was so forceful. I’m sure you have messed with the VUK power already though.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

No haven't touched that yet, was dealing with the habitrail as all balls were going out at the beginning. What did you set it to?

I’ll check this weekend, but I think I dropped it like 10 down from the factory number.

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Why is everything with this game such a shit show.
Anyways, anyone having issues with the ball locks registering? Mainly on the bird one but sometimes even with the jet pack?

Its_me_aj

I did initially. It was the two screws that hold the switch for the spinner going into the lock shot. They were both loose from the factory. Once tightened up it works fine now.

#67 1 year ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Hands down the worst trophy and banner yet. The launch trophy looks the same but all three models on a black background
[quoted image]

WTF IS THAT.

That looks absolutely terrible.

#71 1 year ago
Quoted from squaresville:

From the playfield to the cabinet art to this ridiculous banner, it seems like the licensor, at all stages, had a stranglehold on what Stern could do creatively. Essentially: use the existing movie poster art. I understand that the Bond license feels like a huge get for Stern, especially with Gomez being such a devoted fan of the franchise, but at what point does a company have to stand their ground and just walk away rather than trying to thread this insane needle?

My first impression mirrors yours. This has to be in licensing hell which would also explain the assets on the screen that are “pending”.

Banner wise, anything from the cab or playfield would have been better than this.

#72 1 year ago
Quoted from Psw757:

So bad it’s got to be a joke right?

I can’t wait for the owners of the location…”so you need us to hang a picture of the pinball machine over the same pinball machine?”

lol

#117 1 year ago
Quoted from glasairpilot:

This LE reminds me of GBLE. Sold out quickly, but then everyone complained about the code, etc. Resale was at original cost and sometimes below. Today they bring 2-3x original coat. Be interesting to see what a NIB 007LE will be in 5 years. Mine might just stay in the box.

Sounds fun!

#122 1 year ago
Quoted from glasairpilot:

Thank was hyperbole. My point is that everyone loves to trash new games and then spends 2x as much after the code is complete. They complain about delays getting the game and then complain about the code even though it takes owners and players to let stern know about code problems and that takes time. BM66 is another example. They went as low as $6k and now $11k is the norm for a premium.

Ahh I’m with you now, and also agree.

Bond is a fantastic layout with Gomez behind it. I’m surprised anyone that’s been in the game longer than a few years is really questioning the positive outcome here.

#183 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Just thought I’d pop-in and say Hi!

A spooky huh?

LOL

#225 1 year ago

I have zero doubt this code will be complete and bond will be spectacular.

#287 1 year ago
Quoted from Soltic:

Gotta say the blade art - while it can be considered art the black and white sketches are dull and boring considering the rest of the colours / theme, the insert lights & GI's etc do cast colour on to them but I will consider aftermarket ones but not sure how to temporarily tack them on.
I mean c'mon - coulda had some some Mt Fuji depiction near the cock-rocket, maybe some Thunderball boat stuff by scuba-scoop and all type of neat colorful graphics...
Could the licensing been that restrictive?
I'm sure Tilt and the others will come up with some neat blades that will fit in perfectly!
[quoted image]

Original concept art from the movies, I think it looks phenomenal as a backdrop to the saturated cabs and playfield colors.

I love all of the models, but these LE’s are really something though.

#377 1 year ago
Quoted from beltking:

yeah balls are bad but not rusted. Never use Stern balls.

Why? Unless rusted which I’ve never had, why wouldn’t you use stern balls?

#451 1 year ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Is this serious the banner? Gtfoh stern! Seriously?
Is this the ONLY banner? Can anyone confirm?
This is like a big slap in the face if it is. [quoted image]

That’s it. We didn’t even get one for our launch party either. They ran out of them apparently.

#473 1 year ago

One big issues was during our launch tournament that the game doesn’t cycle the drops during a ball search.

Had a stuck ball sitting behind them and it cycled a few coils and put another ball in the lane. Once one ball went in the trough it went to the next player.

#496 1 year ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Operators, how is it earning for you?
I have it as second from top tier at this very early point in life stage. Reference:
-STH/GZ/TS4 super ultra top
-DP/JP/BOND ultra top
It’s doing this with skilled regulars “suffering” thru .70 code and while sitting directly next to GZPREM…. I’m pleasantly surprised.

We have all of those same games out and I’d say you’re spot on with your assessment, except bond is right there at the top right now.

A lot of that is the newness of the game so we will see where it falls, but it’s promising. Stranger things continues to shatter records and GZ does great. DP still continues to earn great as well.

#509 1 year ago
Quoted from DropGems:

How do these idiots at stern not beta test these games for like a day to find all this little stuff that everyone finds on day 1?

I will agree, this ball hang-up is pretty big oversight from just a basic mechanics standpoint.

I've thought about putting some kind of filler at the end of that opening for the switch to prevent this. A clear epoxy would work most likely.

#673 1 year ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Ball search doesn’t cycle the drops in 0.8. Ball got stuck behind them and I had to force end game. End game doesn’t cycle them either so I had to take the glass off to rescue.

I really hoped this one would have been addressed. I’m sure it will soon enough though.

#873 1 year ago
Quoted from calprog:

Sorry to see this. My Mando le came damaged. While the shipping companies suck Stern also needs to take some responsibility and pack the machines better!

It is pretty hard to pack against a set of forklift blades, to be fair.

1 month later
#2556 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No. I examined my game
With 600 plays in light of these posts and came to conclusion that it’s a complete non issue.
I will not be festooning my game with Velcro or gorilla tape.
Examining High res close up photos of anything on any pinball machine will cause stress. Not doing that will not cause stress.

I looked at mine with 700+ games on it after reading this thread.

Complete non issue. My balls still looked good as well and are original, playfield looks like glass and I still insist this is the best looking clear on a modern stern I’ve seen.

2F02E5BD-1595-4D3A-956D-29125434ED89 (resized).jpeg2F02E5BD-1595-4D3A-956D-29125434ED89 (resized).jpeg93FCE883-9F96-4E40-9C13-2D4249F9E8F8 (resized).jpeg93FCE883-9F96-4E40-9C13-2D4249F9E8F8 (resized).jpegAC37E81B-C594-41C1-A4B0-9AD66FDA52DE (resized).jpegAC37E81B-C594-41C1-A4B0-9AD66FDA52DE (resized).jpegF758786C-2D22-485B-8171-ACB7344ACBA1 (resized).jpegF758786C-2D22-485B-8171-ACB7344ACBA1 (resized).jpeg
#2559 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Your left henchmen ramp guide is getting the crap beat out of it. It's already about 15-20% gone at the edge from being smushed by the ball with dead on bricked shots to the side. Take a picture from the angle below that ramp (where the left flipper launches balls destined to brick) so you can see the left guide of the henchman entrance better and it will be obvious. But even the one you had straight on you can see the compression.
[quoted image]

It definitely has some wear but I don’t think it’s going to get worse.

I’m sure it could have been protected better but it’s looked like that after a few hundred plays and hasn’t changed since.

#2816 1 year ago
Quoted from troon47:I use Mill Wax...cleaner and wax all in one step.

I would use that too if I was operating EM’s in the 1960’s.

#2822 1 year ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

The code sucks. Damn Stern

It will get better. New code drops next week.

#2962 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Making my way thru the Bond movies. Finishing up Goldfinger this morning. I can see this is the movie the series finally picked up as far as spy gadgets and "action".
Anyone know why nearly every character shoots their gun with it braced over their other wrist? Was that just a 60s thing with guns and grips/stances that has evolved over 50 years? Or was it just a cool looking way to handle a gun on screen?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iju8kKeFPscz7s3X7

It’s an outdated shooting style. In WW2 we taught one handed 1911 shooting.

Then the 80’s happened and nobody taught that hip fire style except Hollywood.

#2964 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

The other day my wife asked me to check out this cool car she found. It was a pinball machine. So I see how they can be easily confused for the same thing.

I tried to play rush the other day and my key fab wouldn’t start my game. Almost made a tech post on pinside.

Almost

#2967 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You should have “opened a ticket” with Stern!

Thanks for reminding me, I’ve got some ball wear on the side of a metal ramp.

Ticket time!

#2970 1 year ago
Quoted from mstang01:

Lol, I hadn’t put your username together with the magazine until you answered that

That or I’m just a shitty hamburger at Wendy’s! Who knows!

29563B53-9D35-4741-AB41-6CE88409BD8B (resized).png29563B53-9D35-4741-AB41-6CE88409BD8B (resized).png
#2995 1 year ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Pablo is also very good. Spends as much time as you need on the phone and has been quick with call backs.
I left a message with 1800kickers and had my call returned the next morning, but I don’t know what the magic recipe is, since some people have had different experiences.

I think you just need to not act like an asshole and be a decent person.

It’s crazy but I’ve found it works.

#2999 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

These guys must get batshit crazy calls all day. People requesting new Ramps due to ball trails etc.

I know it’s their job but I can’t image the call volume and type of call over the past few years. Has to be a high turnaround!

#3292 1 year ago

Anyone that ran a launch party receive their IC kit yet?

1 week later
#3550 1 year ago
Quoted from HurryUpPinball:

I just finished up my second James Bond mod for Pro/Prem/LE pinball machines. This mod replaces the stock slingshot plastics and features a custom-made replica 9mm bullet, a laser cut insert, and a color-changing raised scope. This mod is available in my Pinside shop located here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1368-hurryuppinball/07884-james-bond-slingshot-plastics-mod-pro-prem-le
An installation video can be found here: [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Curious as to why it’s a 9mm bullet? Bond used a PPK.

#3557 1 year ago
Quoted from 1963BSARGS:

we’re you able to order one directly from stern?

Yea just call or email and you will be put on a list for them.

#3630 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

9mm short is basically just an outdated term for .380.
In Dr. No when Bond is issued his Walther PPK M states that its chambered in "7.62". I'm guessing that is actually the even smaller .32 ACP round. Funny, since they talk about how powerful it is but that round is wimpy. Even .380 is pretty wimpy but it blows .32 ACP away lol.

Correct, it’s a .32 ACP which is very small. Bond giving up his beretta was a bigger deal in the books apparently but they definitely touched on it in the movie. Great scene when he is forced to hand over his old firearm and is not happy about it.

1 week later
#4030 1 year ago

I like the 5.25 Kickers.

KICKER 46CSC54 CS-Series CSC5 5.25-Inch (130mm) Coaxial Speakers, 4-Ohm (Pair) https://a.co/d/6yts4yp

#4293 1 year ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Another pro owners saved by the Alt translite. Hopefully this is way more interesting/recognizable for casuals at the bar.
[quoted image]

jdoz2

Can you tell me what you are doing to mirror the LCD onto the monitors? I like it.

#4295 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

LVDS to HDMI splitter. Stern sold a board that did it for a matter of hours before their legal shut it down. He either has the Stern board or a kind of kludgey chinese alternative.

Thanks monk. I’d like to find a few.

#4297 1 year ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Yep just followed this and made a bracket that attached to the back of stern games with the head bolts
https://buffalopinball.com/twitch/direct-capture-video-stern-pinball-machines-twitch-streaming/

Thank you jdoz2!

1 week later
#4818 1 year ago
Quoted from hank527:

Lonnie has yet to code a great game without Lyman with him.
I challenge anyone to name a great coded Lonnie game?

Impossible task. It doesn’t exist.

#4901 1 year ago
Quoted from fuzz:

Yeah I get it from a home collector perspective, many can afford to wait and when code does "mature" feel justified in the original purchase.
As a location operator the first few months is where we make the majority of the revenue "when the latest machine lands". When that machine is has very shallow code, word quickly travels and revenue plummets.
Im sure this machine will eventually be a version of "complete" but this has to be the biggest misfire in Sterns History with the hype expectation to current sitting product ratio.

Exactly. Maturing code over time is normal and expected.

Bond has been essentially broken since Nov when most of us placed our bond pros on location.

#4948 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can 3D print you up one for 90 bucks!!

Hot glue some red LEDs at the tip please.

#5401 1 year ago
Quoted from Sheev_Palpatine:

Wow! 128 lifetime plays and this link broke. That’s a record! I’m going to send this into warranty. Do you think they will help or tell me it’s my problem?
[quoted image]

They will send you a new one. That's not within normal spec at all.

#5638 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

George’s passion is a huge reason why I bought this game. Another reason was MXV’s rules for stranger things.
It’s been a frustrating ride, but it does feel like the game is starting to catch a little stride. Really excited for news of the new code this weekend.

Really kind of the same for me.

There is some justifiable angst toward the team on this game, but knowing its George's game helps to see the forest for the trees.

#5725 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

My basement has several banners and I love them - it is such an obvious money maker accessory for Stern. I don't get it.

Facebook

I believe its a licensing issue with the banners as to why they cannot sell them. PR use only is what I've heard.

1 week later
#6256 1 year ago
Quoted from LesManley:

If anybody doesn't have their bond ball trap kit ordered, they are definitely available. Tech support had emailed me back about an issue I had already fixed so I just happened to mention the kit and he took my information down and said it would eventually be available. Lo and behold, this showed up today.
[quoted image]

I got mine last week but haven't been out to install it yet. Crazy to me that the biggest ball hang-up is the lip around the rocket and there is nothing in the box for that. Looks like its time to break out the mylar and get into arts and crafts mode.

#6257 1 year ago
Quoted from Rhart51:

What is the bond Ball Trap kit? Is that for the lE wnd Prem?

Its a kit put out for all models to address areas of stuck balls that ops were having on locations. Call or email stern if you want one.

4 months later
#10456 7 months ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

For problem #2 the problem(s) is when the plastic ring is not level with the PF and the ball hangs on the bottom of the loop and sometimes can also get caught on the spaces in between the grid lines of the back of the 3 drops if any drops are up.
I “think” I solved this a few days ago. I removed the Orange ring around Bird 1, strategically cut and layered up a few “ish” sheets of Mylar on a curve and stuck them down in between the LED’s shown in pic. Keep layering the Mylar and put ring back to test until there is no ball hang before screwing 3 bolts back down. This leveled out the circle to the playfield and so far I have not had a problem of ball hangs or ball getting caught on back of the drop targets yet.
When I removed the screws of the circle I just pushed my screwdriver down through the tiny factory Mylar circles covering the bolts. I will see how things go and cover them back up later.
Also when you remove the 3 screws each has a rubber ring as a spacer between the plastic and the playfield and this keeps the bolts on the plastic when you remove. So do not expect the 3 bolts to come off the plastic before you lift the circle and don’t keep unscrewing expecting them to do so. The 3 bolts should stay on the plastics because of the spacers but you can’t see they are there until you remove.
Think this did the trick for me but I just did it recently.
[quoted image]

This seems to be the best fix for this. I layered Mylar on the top side with the same result.

1 week later
#10758 7 months ago

Question for the bond player. I've got one on location and a guy in our league swears that he will occasionally get a ball to fly back to the left outlane from a direct shot to the scoop area on the left side.

Basically it hits under the flipper area and bounces back over the scoop and right down the left lane. I can't reproduce this when I go out and play it, but I'm also not getting a ton of time on it.

Has this been an issues for anyone else here?

#10760 7 months ago
Quoted from matt68061:

I would not call it an “issue” but it has happened several times. Have dropped my flipper power and that seems to have pretty much eliminated it…

Still making that left orbit after the drop in power?

2 weeks later
#11399 6 months ago
Quoted from Steakfist:

I'd love it if the pop bumpers had a different sound - not sure what the current one is supposed to be?

It sounds like complete ass right now. I'd take about any sound over that bouncy ball sound we have now.

2 months later
#12718 4 months ago

I’m still curious if we will see more of the screen being used for info while playing. It seems odd to me still that the clips and most of the info is in the smaller box on the screen.

It just seems like wasted space and not a complete product yet.

3 weeks later
#13445 3 months ago

“Design flaw”

GTFO

Yea Gomez doesn’t know what he’s doing but I’m sure the modders know more about playfield design and have fixed his terrible sloppiness.

Riiiiight.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Methuen, MA
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
HurryUpPinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Playfield - Plastics
The Electric Playground

11,100 (OBO)
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Medford, NJ
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 26.50
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider doublestack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/james-bond-official-owners-club?tu=doublestack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.