20231105_112237.jpg
20231105_100344.jpg
20231024_202844.jpg
20231014_104728.jpg
20230924_144405.jpg
20230924_144340.jpg
20230924_151706.jpg
20230924_145023.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lithium.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#572 4 years ago

49 helicopter and 69 spotlight, I believe. Manuals can be picked up pretty cheap online. I've found it to be very handy.

#575 4 years ago

There is a pdf manual on ipdb but it is missing certain part numbers and schematics. There are full manuals for sale on Marco Specialites and eBay (US site, looks like they ship worldwide). I'm not sure if I am allowed to post direct links, but it should be very easy to do a google search for those I listed.

#577 4 years ago

57 is the start button light. ipdb is probably the best you can do for free. I'm not sure, but I imagine a full version isn't online because it has something to do with borderline copyright-type stuff.

#579 4 years ago

There is a light bulb behind the start button controlled by the lamp matrix which is 57. The free pdf manual on ipdb has the majority of the information you are looking for including the switch and bulb matrices.

1 week later
#593 4 years ago

Chalkey, I replaced all my magnet fuses and that F20 with the 3A you have pictured on the right. I was really surprised to hear you had a reading over 70v so I took a measurement and sure enough it was over 70v. I did a quick search and it sounds like this is a nominal voltage and can be expected when under no load. If the magnet was actually powered it should drop down to around 50v. At least that's my understanding.

Anyway, while doing this I noticed that the F20 fuse I replaced last month was looking pretty stressed. I'm thinking these magnets might chew through fuses.

11 months later
#706 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

I have the Swinks shapeways Dish and it's really nice quality

Ditto, my original dish started to crack so I replaced it with the Swinks plain white premium (no lines version) and it is holding up extremely well.

1 month later
#724 3 years ago
Quoted from Tmuster:

So replaces balls and put in 5 new balls. Still saying missing a ball. Now it will play but always drops two balls to start the game ? Any ideas ?

There is a visual (via the dmd) ball trough test in the service menu. It will show you which ball slot is not detected. It's likely one of the mirco-switches in the trough is not working or incorrectly adjusted.

1 month later
#731 3 years ago
Quoted from muzikman:

What is supposed to happen in satellite hurryup once you hit the ball into the satellite? Mine stays there for several seconds and then dumps the ball out - generally right down the middle. Just checking to see if that is normal, and any suggestions to avoid it releasing the ball SDTM.
Thanks!

There should be a very short ball save once it releases from the hurry up mode (this is using the last revision of code). However, there isn't a ball save from what I can tell if you score the satellite super jackpot on the Goldeneye ramps mode. You'll likely need to learn to time a nudge to guarantee a safe recovery. I would consider this a bit of a design flaw and I couldn't find a non-intrusive way of adjusting the satellite home position.

#737 3 years ago
Quoted from PrinceOfPinside:

Hi everyone. I have been having issues with my Goldeneye; it starts satellite multiball when it should not through one of two situations:
1. The ball comes in contact with the "ball save" magnet (the magnet does not activate).
2. The ball comes close to the satellite magnet, but is not trapped by it.
Anyone have any suggestions on where to start the diagnosis? I'm relatively new to pinball ownership so lots of this is new territory for me.

The stock magnet sense board has some limitations and as these games age the components on it wear down. As already mentioned, first make sure you place fresh fuses on the driver board AND the two under the playfield. Then test the magnet functions in the service menu. The special section in the service menu will test both the magnets and the ball detection 'switches'.

If you are still getting weird behavior after all that and if you don't want to rebuild the existing board you might want to consider getting a reproduction board using modern components and better design here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mypinballs-sega-magnet-proessor-board-remakeredesign

#740 3 years ago
Quoted from PrinceOfPinside:

I replaced both fuses underneath the playfield (3A as the manual indicates). Upon activating the flipper magnet, both of them blew. Does this indicate there is a short somewhere?

I would start by checking the resistance across the magnets to make sure one or both isn't a dead short. Make sure you disconnect the magnet board when checking.

Did any of the fuses blow on the driver board? I attached a service bulletin, make sure your magnets were relocated to an unused 50v rail.

My next guess is something is wrong with the magnet board. Especially if you blew both fuses (under playfield) when only activating the between the flippers magnet. Check the magnet board for any busted/burned components. Sometimes the PIC chip can be quite burnt looking.

Service Bulletin 84.pdfService Bulletin 84.pdf

5 months later
#779 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Lithium, how do you check the resistance across the magnets?? Forgot to ask.

Most multimeters should have an Ohmmeter mode. Disconnect the magnet connector from the magnet board and test across the two wires. I'm not sure the actual resistance value but it should not be 0 or 1.

Here is a decent 30 sec video on measuring resistance:

On a side note, if you are using the reproduction magnet board there are LEDs that should indicate if the board is receiving commands from the driver board to turn the magnet on/off.

#781 2 years ago

The board should indicate with LEDs if it's getting the proper voltages and driver board signals. It's your best tool for triaging issues. The fusing is chained on these magnets. It's tied to a power board fuse and then each magnet has another fuse under the playfield. So most problems I've had with these magnets are one or more blown fuses. Double and triple check them (change them) and make sure the service bulletin related to the magnet 50v rail was performed.

Also the recommendation for the new board was to up the three magnet fuses up to 4A. I would blow 3A fuses frequently. No issues with 1000+ games at 4A.

4 months later
#820 2 years ago
Quoted from YERFDOG:

Hey everybody! I just picked up a Goldeneye and somehow it is missing ball guide #4. Anybody know where I could find one? I have searched the part # but haven’t had any luck yet. Thanks!
Eric
[quoted image]

Mine has a broken tab. I've wedged a rubber behind it to prevent further damage. I'm trying to get Cliffy to reproduce it for me (and the ramp protectors for another pinsider), but he was swamped over the holidays. I need the game running for league in March. So earliest I might send it out would be after that. I can keep you in the loop if I am able to arrange this.

2 weeks later
#828 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I would send my ramps to cliff but being in the U.K. the cost to ship them and send them back would be bonkers.

I'm willing to send mine. But I can't send them until after March. I had an email going with Cliffy and another pinsider on this back in December. I can ping him again about it and reference these recent posts. Obviously, the more people who need this, the more it's worth his time to reproduce them.

1 month later
#857 2 years ago

Yes, I posted a while back that after league this month I would be willing to send mine to Cliff.

YERFDOG and J85M please send me a PM with your email address and I'll include you on an email chain I have with Cliff and another pinside member, @quayle, to get these ramp guides and ramp protectors reproduced. At the time, several months ago Cliff was booked up, but hopefully he has some time to look at this project now.

Thanks!

3 months later
#905 1 year ago
Quoted from JmcteerPin:

My father and I went together and bought our first pin in late May - Goldeneye! There is something really special about this one. I practically live at the local arcades, and I can get bored with a pin more easily than I would expect, but Goldeneye is the gift that keeps on giving. Never a dull moment, some of the best callouts in all of pinball, and the Sattelite shot will never get old. Love it to death.
Fixing it (since we play the hell out of it, we run i to issues probably more often than most) is fun too! Anyone seen issues with coil 17 not firing to load a ball into the trough VUK even though it works fine when running the coil test? Seems to do this after playing hours on end and then in the morning after turning it off all night, it works fine. Almost seems like a code issue somehow? Thanks for any input.

Probably totally unrelated, but I had an issue with my trough during the two ball tank-train multiball. If you drained quickly at the start it would kick out two balls giving you a three balls in play. When I disconnected the opto it would work fine. I believe I was on code 4.03. I upgraded it to 4.04 and never had the issue again after reconnecting the opto. It's not called out in the patch notes so it's anyone's guess. But always a good idea to be on latest code.

However, if the coil stops working after long play, it might be more likely that it's overheating and the plunger can no longer freely travel. You'd want to manually check to see if it's binding after the long play on the hot coil. It could be as simple as needing a new sleeve.

2 weeks later
#916 1 year ago
Quoted from Boat:

I’ve had this game for almost 3 years with no magnet board issues. We moved the game to a friends house and now after like 2 games the magnets stopped working.
I found some cold solder joints and just noticed two resistors are completely missing
Posting more in frustration now that I have to order some components .
Time for a brand new board? Lol
[quoted image]

Applejuice's reproduction/bulletproofed magnet board is a solid choice.

1 month later
#927 1 year ago
Quoted from Johno75:

Hey Guys,
I'm having issues with ALL the displays on my Gottlieb James Bond. When I power on the machine none of them light up. If I open the headbox up and go through and remove and reseat all the connectors and turn it back on, they will light up again for a few days and then will go out again. I have checked the fuse in the cabinet bottom and it's not that. Any ideas what the issue could be and simple things to check? My knowledge and skills are pretty limited!
Thanks in advance.

In Gotlieb's, one faulty display can cause all the others to stop working because of the way they are daisy chained. I would start by swapping display 1 and 4 and waiting to see if the problem occurs again in all the displays.

Pinwiki has a large section dedicated to many of the potential root causes: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Gottlieb_System_80#Display_Problems

#929 1 year ago
Quoted from Johno75:

Thanks mate. is it easy to swap the displays around? I've never done it or looked into it.

Shouldn't be more than removing connectors and a few screws. I removed a display for a client a few months ago and I don't recall it taking much effort. Make sure you do it with the game OFF!

2 months later
#945 1 year ago

Battle of the Bonds!

BondPinball.jpgBondPinball.jpg
8 months later
#1026 7 months ago
Quoted from NunoDirector:

Hi my friends, 3 questions for Gottlieb's James Bond owners:
1) Have someone of you tried install a motor shaker on this game? Is it possible? Which one you recommend?
2) Where can I buy the ROM for switching from a Time based game to a standard 3-5 ball game.
3) is there a way to use like a Pinsound Plus (or something similar) and changed the music and sound package overall?
Thanks for your time and help!

Stern recently released a James Bond pinball machine that will meet all those requirements.

#1029 7 months ago
Quoted from NunoDirector:

Thank you my friend, I do have them, I recently acquired the Gottliebs and was wondering if I could add those items on it but before I did I didn't know if anyone had pursued the same road because It would be awesome to hear some feedback. I remember someone at the beginning of this thread asking about upgrading the music package to this machine but I don't know if someone answered him. If anyone knows anything about that or the ROM that makes the game a 3-5 ball standard game, please let me know. Have an amazing weekend everybody!

Gottlieb released a 'fix' to address operator's complaints about low play. It was a service kit to convert the game into 3/5 ball. This included a new ROM and stickers to rebrand parts of the backglass and the apron. The Pinball Resource 'should' have access to distribute the ROM since they own the IP for Gottlieb.

My personal thoughts. This is a limited run, non-exceptional game from 1980. The one's still in existence deserve to live on as the designers intended. The timed-mode makes it mildly more interesting and at the very least a conversation piece. It got a lot of positive comments (with timed mode) when I had it setup for home league. Combine that with the cheesy sounds and the boomey cabinet speaker... it's an odd-ball fun, quirky Gottlieb thing.

#1031 7 months ago
Quoted from Johno75:

Hi,
Probably silly question but which board in the Gottlieb Jame bond controls/powers the displays?

The CPU Board controls the data signals to the displays. The Power Supply provides the voltage rails to the displays.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Gottlieb_System_80#/media/File:Gtb_sys80_boards_3.png

1 week later
#1035 7 months ago
Quoted from Johno75:

thanks very much for that. So if my displays have an issue where all 4 of them go out after a while (at the same time) of the machine being on would it be a power supply issue and would replacing the power supply be likely to fix it?

It could be the power supply, bad connector, bad circuit on one of the displays, or something else altogether. Unfortunately, a lot of variables at play.

This could be a starting point of things to try: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Gottlieb_System_80#Display_Problems

If you have the means, purchasing and/or testing a replacement power supply might not be a bad first step. A modern power supply can potentially be more reliable (across all voltages) and run more efficient and cooler.

1 month later
#1059 5 months ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Hi fellow agents!
I seem to have some strange behaviour related to the satelite. A couple things that happened:
1. When multiball is lit, and the satelite is lit and one makes the shot, the ball seems to just be stuck in the satelite for 4-5 seconds, as if it has not detected that the magnet shot was hit, until it finally starts multiball.
2. Another occurrance was a player who during the last tournament, said that they hit the satelite during hurryup mode, and when they made the shot the satelite magnet kept the ball, but it didnt award the mode value, and it just kept counting down.
Is there a "switch" in the magnet, which could be a bit faulty? How does the magnet in the satelite detect that a ball is there?
Cheers!
Morten

Try and get on the list for an improved reproduction board. You'll save yourself a lot of time in troubleshooting the failing original.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mypinballs-sega-magnet-proessor-board-remakeredesign

2 months later
#1091 3 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Finally able to catch the problem in trough test menu, note opto is working. There SHOULD not be a ball resting in the opto position during this test. Trough dumps ball into opto which is then kicked up and fired off as soon as it is seen in the lane.
Unplugging the opto causing all sorts of fun to ensure.
Was able to duplicate the issue with just 2 balls installed while in trough test which narrowed it down to the first two microswitches, replacing them and it works perfect.

This might be totally unrelated but it's easy to check.

I had an issue a while back where the game would kick two balls into the shooter lane, but only when I drained quickly during tank-train (2-ball) mode. I drove myself crazy trying to figure out if it was a switch or the opto and that trough test mode would sometimes kick two balls (but couldn't reproduce consistently). I eventually upgraded the code from 4.03 to 4.04 and I never had the issue again. It's not in the patch notes, so who knows?

#1093 3 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I have 4.01, where can I find 4.04? I just assume burn to the newest revision.

Yeah, you'll probably have to burn your own. I don't know if any of the major pinball supply houses have any pre-burned in stock these days. Regardless, I would recommend burning it to a new chip, so that you have the original as a fall back.

You can find the ROM code here: https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3792

1 week later
#1096 3 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Just a follow up: Adjusting the first two trough switches (so that they click as soon as a ball even comes in contact with the roller) cleared up literally 99% of the problem with the game loading 2 balls into the shooter lane at random. Since upgrading the CPU software from 4.02 to 4.04 there has not been a single instance of the game loading 2 balls. So my advice is to upgrade the software after making sure all the switches are set correct.
4.04 version available on pinball database website.

Awesome, great to hear!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

4,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 5.00
Cabinet Parts
Gameroom Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lithium.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/james-bond-club?tu=lithium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.