20231105_112237.jpg
20231105_100344.jpg
20231024_202844.jpg
20231014_104728.jpg
20230924_144405.jpg
20230924_144340.jpg
20230924_151706.jpg
20230924_145023.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pintucky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#209 7 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Question for the group. Got me a Golden Eye and the magnet between the playfield grabs the ball and tries to fling it but just not enough power. What could be the problem. The magnet is strong but the ball does not move once it tries to release. My understanding is that is all controlled by the timing on the main board. So what to examine?

OK. I had the same problem. Raise the PF and prop it up so you can work on it from underneath. The magnet is obviously right in front up by the apron. There is a big nut holding it in place. Unscrew it and then adjust the magnet that is inside it by pushing it either up or down. The distance from the ball is the main controller on these things. How you move and adjust that center post (the magnet) determines how much power you have on the pitch back, plus . . . it alters the angle of the pitch. Mine would throw it up but the ball would roll SDTM. It took me several tries but I got it where I wanted it.

These magnets will also 'burn out'. I'm sure there is a way to re-energize them by using some kind of electrical device, just like when you magnetize screwdrivers, etc. However, I cannot think of the name of that thing or how you do it. Someone else on here might explain that.

After my first magnet grew so weak, I bought a new one. It has lasted about 3 years now, but I see it is slowly losing its power. My first thing I'm going to do is try to adjust it just like I explained to you. If that doesn't work, I'll be buying another new one. I think they run between $25 and $30. Been awhile since I priced one. Maybe as low as $19. Just can't remember. One way or another, this is a simple fix.

Mike in Kentucky

#210 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Also, anyone that has added some color, what did you use?

I used a variety of LED's. Some real cheap ones from Pinball Life and some intensely bright ones. I didn't have any ghosting problems with any of them. Can't promise you that you won't have issues, though. Somehow, my pin "liked them". As you said, the pin has so many colors it's hard to figure out what 'color theme' to go with. I just put them in similar places like you said, blue underneath blue, etc.

I ended up using super bright LED's under major inserts. Like the 4 LED ones. I put the red ones under the red inserts and man they really light up now! I put a very strong blue one under that piano looking big insert in front of the dish. Looks great! Before I did that, you could barely see it glowing.

I put 100% LED's in my pin and I've really lighted that baby up! To some people, it probably looks garish. However, I like the beauty of the power of intense color. When I finished, I stepped back and looked at it and it was an amazing sight. The transition from very faint lighting to eye-popping lighting really brought that other-wise dark pin to life.

Also, does the satellite run off of 12V? Would be nice to add a bright LED 12v pad beneath the dish when it is activated.

If the answer to this is not posted on this thread but you find out the answer, please let me know. That sounds like a great idea. I believe I might like to try it.

Mike in Kentucky

#213 7 years ago

It's been awhile since I looked under the PF at that magnet. Instead of "pushing" up or down, like I said previously, I think it has threads and you turn it like a screw. Either way it is the adjustment by moving is what is needed. Good luck!
Mike

2 months later
#256 7 years ago

The full Tank Kick Big Assembly (Under Tank) is part number 500-5862-02-42. Individual parts for the assembly are listed on Page 75 of the Goldeneye manual: http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/3792/Sega_1996_Goldeneye_Manual.pdf

Hope this helps. Hope this is the part(s) you are looking for!

Mike in Kentucky

1 week later
#260 7 years ago

Made some stickers for stand up targets and pops,

Man, I would LOVE to have some stickers like that! How do you make them? Can it be done on a regular color printer?

Excellent job on your pin. By the way, I'm not sure that board is available for the satellite dish. I remember trying to find a new one a couple of years ago and had no luck. I think mine is going bad. After the ball flies up there and the magnet grabs it, it just sits there for about 12 or so seconds while the points are counting down on the display. When it's too late to grab those points, THEN the multi-ball starts! I don't know if it is in the board, or I have a bad game ROM. I have the latest one, whatever number that is.

Thanks,

Mike in Kentucky

#262 7 years ago

Resized it to fit on the target, printed out on laser printer and covered with mylar, cut and paste!

Aha!!! So, you covered it with mylar! I can do that! I thought perhaps you had to buy some kind of special 'slick' paper and I wasn't sure my printer could print on that.

Nice answer. THANKS!!!

Mike

1 month later
#277 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

You could send the board to Pinsider johnwartjr

Thanks for posting that info. I didn't know John repaired boards! I've bought a lot of ROM's from him.

Mike in Kentucky

#280 7 years ago

I did send the board out to have it serviced

If you don't mind, let us know if getting the board fixed solved your problems.

Thanks,
Mike in Kentucky

1 month later
#298 7 years ago

Glad to see you got all the problems fixed. Ain't nothin' like making all the repairs and then seeing your pin working like you hoped it would.

Mike in Kentucky

#300 7 years ago
Quoted from thestreetzking:

Of course I jinxed that, fuse is still blowing
and my sound is still cutting out... with new roms.

Oh, NO!!!! Shit like that happens to me all the time with several of my pins. I get things fixed and next thing you know, they are 'unfixed' and I'm back to repairing something else.

I hope you keep posting results of this pursuit. Some of us Goldeneye owners might need to reference this someday.

Good luck.

Mike in Kentucky

2 weeks later
#309 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Best bang for the buck is a powered subwoofer, especially for Goldeneye.

I agree. I bought a $100 self-powered sub and it made all the difference in the world to the sound!

#314 7 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Which powered sub did you buy?

Sony SA-W2500 Performance Line 100 Watt Amplified Subwoofer w/ 10" Mica Woofer.

However I'm wondering if I would need to still upgrade the speakers even if I add a self powered sub to the game?

I had such an astounding difference in sound when I added that sub, I can't imagine upgrading the speakers would enhance it that much. I think if you are going to buy a sub anyway, then wait until you hear it. Out of all my pins I've owned, Goldeneye and Avatar had the greatest improvement after adding subs. Fish Tales was next.

#316 7 years ago

I have a Fish Tales too.

You can "economize" (or be 'cheap' in MY case! Ha.), and hook 2 pins up to the same sub. They will both play at the same time through the sub, if those 2 pins are being played simultaneously. If you hook up Fish Tales, you will hear the music SO much better. Takes it to a Hi-Fi sound. I love it!

Mike

7 months later
#410 6 years ago

Yes! VERY BEAUTIFUL! Looks like it is brand spanking new! Great powder coat gold. I'm envious. You made my Goldeneye, that I once thought was very nice looking, look like a piece of junk now next to yours!!!

Kudos.

Mike in Kentucky

3 weeks later
#421 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Is there a trick to getting the magnet more consistent?

I dunno. I've had 3 in mine and got 3 different results. My first one just got weaker and weaker and eventually wouldn't pitch it past the flippers.

My next one was really powerful and threw the ball WAY up the PF. It lasted about 2 years and then it just died away.

My last one is not very powerful, but it sent the ball straight up the PF and of course, the ball rolled STDM! I had to tinker with it by turning it a hair until I could get it to sling the ball to the left, where the left flipper would catch it. It's not very impressive but it gets the job done.

This all leaves me to wonder if every magnet comes out a little different. No two alike. I have no idea how the magnets get the signal to get turned on, but have often wondered if there was any 'regulator' in the process that determines how much 'juice' the magnet gets each time. It may all just be purely mechanical. Would be nice if one of the experts on here would clarify if the game ROM can actually determine how much 'throw' the magnet can have.

The reason I ask this is the magnet in my Avatar can absolutely throw that ball wildly . . . bouncing off of things 2 feet away! And at other times, it just barely slings the ball. So . . . what is the 'determiner' of how much power the magnet gets each time it is activated?

Mike in Kentucky

1 week later
#424 6 years ago
Quoted from Bkap:

Is this a normal failure?

I own a Goldeneye and have followed all posts for several years now on Pinside. I have never seen this before so I'm thinking this is not a normal failure.

I THINK the last time I explored buying this board new it was very expensive and was not available.

You might consider sending it off to Clive at Coin Op Cauldron: http://webpages.charter.net/coinopcauldron/Index.html

He is very reasonable in his pricing. I've used him several times and am VERY pleased with his work and what he charged me. Perhaps he could rebuild this card. You could email him the same photo and maybe he can tell you from looking at that if he can indeed fix it.

Mike in Kentucky

1 month later
#430 6 years ago
Quoted from Bkap:

magnet board

What is this? The magnet under the PF, or is there a separate board that goes to it?

#432 6 years ago

I was only thinking about the magnet between the flippers for magna-save. Never gave a thought about the magnet for the satellite dish. I am very familiar with that board. I'm not sure my board functions correctly, though. I'm having issues with the countdown on the dish activating and some other things. It would be nice if someone COULD build that board.

2 weeks later
#442 6 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

Well i got the chip, and put it in. it didnt fix it.

If you ever figure out what the problem is, please post it on here. As I said in an earlier thread, my dish holds the ball and the pin waits and waits to start multi-ball and by the time it starts all the points have been winding down on the screen and I end up never earning any of those that are timed 'on the clock' countdown. I thought perhaps getting a new game ROM would solve this and was waiting to see what happened when you did that. Looks like the dish problems are somewhere else.

#445 6 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

Sounds like you and I have the opposite but same problem.

Correct analogy!!!

#449 6 years ago

Mine just suddenly stopped working and I have not been able to trace the cause.

If I am not mistaken, there is one or two fuses under the PF close to the magnet that is part of that circuit. When I first got mine, I thought it was broken. Trent came to visit one day and raised the PF and showed me where the fuse(s) were. Did the replacement and it was up and running again. I hope your problem is this simple.

2 weeks later
#454 6 years ago

Your magnet doesn't have anything to do with the G.I's. The magnet activates during game play, depending on how you have the pin set up. It is NOT on all the time. It is there to help you save a drain every so often.

As for the G.I's, you probably have a loose connection. First, inspect your cable connectors and make sure they are not burnt. If that is not the problem, then re-seat the cables in the backbox and under the PF. If it still doesn't work, check your fuses. There's not much left after that.

Mike in Kentucky

3 weeks later
#462 6 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Maybe an earlier version of the Software?

I'm thinking the same thing. Mine did that when I first got it and after I updated the game ROM it allowed me to shoot Bond.

#479 6 years ago
Quoted from cklweb:

I found V4.04 at the "pinball center",

I would go with John Wart. He has great prices and quickly gets ROMS out to you: http://www.thatpinballplace.com/

Be very careful when putting the ROM in. Make sure you line up all the little legs and gently push in place.

Mike in Kentucky

3 months later
#507 5 years ago
Quoted from cklweb:

The screen is OK now that I returned the original V1.0 ROM to the board. I appreciate your advice about moving to SEGA/starting a new thread. Many thanks!

I no longer have my pin, but from memory, look up in the top board, almost in the dead middle and you should see the old Game ROM. Mine had a white label on it. Pull it out and make sure you see which end had the 'v' on it so you can match it up. Be VERY careful pushing the new one in. I have messed up he legs on these things many times from thinking I had it lined up and it wasn't.

This is a simple thing. I'm surprised no one got on here and offered you help. I quit following this thread when I sold mine.

Hope this helps. If you still have problems, post it here and I'll be watching . . .

Mike in Kentucky

2 years later
#664 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

the magnets don’t fully work there’s power to them but they are weak.

I can't give you a definitive answer, but if either or both of the magnets are old and weak, I would invest in new ones. I put two or three on my pin a few years back. I think I paid about $30 for each. They are rather easy to change out and maybe that will resolve the fuse blowing issue. If that doesn't do it at least you know you have good magnets in there. I am left to wonder if a bad magnet makes for a huge power drain when you turn it on and it's too much for that fuse.

Mike in Kentucky

2 months later
#685 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

if the revised ROM, that changes the gameplay to ball based rather than time based, is actual possible to get.

Yes. The best place for quick service and best pricing is with John Wart in southern Indiana. I bought my ROMS from him for Goldeneye and many other pins. You can reach him at http://www.thatpinballplace.com/

#691 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

Is there another way to reach him?

You can try his email address: [email protected]

He was in a very bad accident a couple of years ago and may be having some medical issues. Just don't know. I used to have his phone number but can't find it now. An absolute GREAT human being to work with. Prices couldn't be beat. I think he works out of his home making the ROMS.

I hope this helps.
Mike in Kentucky

8 months later
#774 2 years ago
Quoted from DrGonzo:

So… I bought a new set of low magnetized pinballs and needed to adjust the magnet between the flippers to make them work perfectly again. But now I can’t get the magnet to catch and throw the pinballs anymore. It’s too weak 8 out of 10 times.
Does anyone know in what position the magnet core / screw / nut should be to work perfectly?! Tight and close to the PF or more loose? Maybe someone can share a pic?

I had the same problem and I began to tighten it up closer and closer to the PF until I got the strength I wanted.

2 years later
#1063 4 months ago
Quoted from LePopHumper:

Is there anyone who could explain to me the mechanics behind the ball save magnet between flippers?

When mine wouldn't work, a very famous pinball player came to my home to visit and see my collection and when I told him it wasn't working, he lifted up the playfield and showed me a fuse located very close to the magnet right on the other side and it was blown. We replaced the fuse and then it started working correctly. It was the first time I was any fuse under the playfield on a game. Hope this is your problem because it will be easy to fix.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 5.00
Cabinet Parts
Gameroom Mods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

4,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pintucky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/james-bond-club?tu=Pintucky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.