007 Pins (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).jpg
IMG_2606 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2605 (resized).jpeg
FA6A1593-65DD-4DB2-A72B-EEC43DED1CAE (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
5BCC2926-0CA0-4F3E-8D6C-04700CEC815E (resized).jpeg
EECBEBD3-2CC7-4043-8947-928B0A53C62A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

420 posts in this topic match your search for posts by treybo69. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

I thought it would be best to separate out this Elwin game from the Gomez design

>Mr. Keith Elwin has designed a fourth model of James Bond and it's what we call the 60th-anniversary edition. His game covers all of the actors that have played the role and all of the films so I believe it's 25 films. His game spans the 25 films and his game is very different, I think it's limited to 500 units and it's a single-level playfield like old school. It's got reels in the back box. Yes, you heard me right, it's got reels in the back box. Programmed by Mark Penacho who goes back to Williams Electronics days.

>The art on his game is all 25 films are represented with their film posters on the sides of the game, on the playfield every actor that's played Bond, Connery, Pierce Brosnan, George Lazenby, of course, Daniel Craig, Roger Moore, they’re all represented on the playfield. Then there's elements he's got villains from each of the Bonds and he's got game features from each of the Bonds. His gadgets and his weapons and stuff work differently than mine but he's basically picked a representative device from each.

It's officially "call for pricing"

Also known details: in line drop targets, drop targets banks, 4 opto spinners (one like Odd Job's hat), saucers, newton ball

#6 1 year ago

I would have been very happy to see what Elwin would have changed about a classic Stern like a Star Gazer, Quick Silver, Dragon Fist, etc

But an all new game? Be still my beating heart...Just wish I could afford one!

Hopefully a few end up on location near me. I love single level and hope Stern tries out more of them. The Beatles is easily among my most favorite Spike 2 games.

#10 1 year ago

So what are the odds you can get all 4 spinners going at once. Has to be doable right?

I'd love to see something crazy like an inlane spinner you can shatz

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Too bad it’s limited to 500. Being single level and new design I think they could have sold quite a few even with a premium price tag or higher. Doesn’t really compete with the cornerstone games.

Agreed, I wish it had a Beatles like production run. I can find some golds out on location, but I've only see the platinum in private homes and never seen a diamond in person. And those were probably cheaper to buy! I can't imagine many will put this out on location besides a small handful of dedicated operators.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

gotta be at least $18k+ if an le is $13k

If I was a distributor, I wouldn't blame one for holding a few of these back. These will likely be the crown jewel in an Elwin fan collection down the line.

#18 1 year ago

possibly, guess it will depend on the game.
personally, those old style games really bore me

Where as I'm the opposite

I love a single level game where all the shots are dangerous, you're constantly on the verge of losing the ball, and there aren't a bunch of safe shots to slowly grind out points. I'd rather have an intense 5 minute game than a 30 minute slog of shoot the flashing ramp.

#25 1 year ago

I wonder what some of The Beatles diamonds went for. Sounded like a few went for 25k early, and then you rarely heard another peep about them. I know a lot of places were asking around 12-15k for the platinum early on. I knew someone who felt like they got a platinum for a bargain at 10.5k about a year after release.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from kermit24:

But with Beatles, you could get the exact same game Gold for much cheaper. Not the case here.

That and they made nearly 2,000 Beatles.

Too bad they didn't feel the need to make a premium version. But I know a few wealthy collectors have been begging for the chance to buy an ultra exclusive, BOM be damned pin. So here you go fellas!

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from timtim:

Not even trying to that guy, but how is this good for the hobby?

Shows strong demand for this style of game and maybe Stern tries out more single levels?

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That could be a simple as a golden gun on the playfield, or a submarine car on a plastic.
Time for some speculation fun: Just because it "covers all 25 movies" doesn't mean it features the likeness of every actor to portray Bond. You don't have to pay Timothy Dalton to have a rendering of a rocket launching boom box in the game somewhere.

Idk, I'm guessing they'll have all of them. It could just be movie poster art repurposed though. I was pretty surprised at how much was on the Gomez Bond

I wonder if there will be any easter eggs to Sega Goldeneye for that particular movie tie in.

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Where is this advertised!?

https://sternpinball.com/game/james-bond-007/

Stern’s James Bond 007 60th Anniversary Limited Edition pinball machines will immerse players in the history of 007. Limited to 500 machines globally, the highly collectible 60th Anniversary Limited Edition offers players a retro-inspired playfield packed with exciting mechanical action. Control the chaos from Oddjob’s kinetic spinning disc hat, survive tactical precision shots against 10 drop targets, escape SPECTRE’s evil henchmen navigating pinballs through 4 fast-flowing optical spinners, learn assignments through an in-playfield LCD screen, and rack up high scores on classic-style score reels.

“James Bond is as timeless as pinball. Partnering with EON Productions/Danjaq, MGM Studios and Aston Martin, we created a pinball adventure capturing the suspense, action, and humor from this beloved film series.” said Gary Stern, Chairman and CEO. “Get connected today and become a legend.”

Games configured for North America operate on 60 cycle electricity only.

These games will not operate in countries with 50 cycle electricity (including but not limited to Europe, UK, Australia).

#42 1 year ago

edit nevermind

#43 1 year ago

Stern making a lot of money is good for the hobby because Stern is the backbone of the industry. A healthy Stern is a healthy industry. A healthy industry makes better products

Don't get me wrong. I'm nearly priced out of the NIB hobby too. I can swing a pro or premium, but this is too much for me. It is what it is though.

I don't think it's amazing for the consumer, but it's a luxury toy. I'm not going to get too outraged about a niche manufacturer enjoying the good times while they last.

#50 1 year ago

Yeah our only complaints are it's expensive (granted we've seen nothing lol)

And by the sound of it, it is an expensive game with multiple drop target banks, opto spinners (these things are costly), some custom molded toys, etc..

So even if it wasn't a SLE, it'd probably be a 10k premium

#52 1 year ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

They put that disclaimer on all their games/models, just look on the website, it doesnt mean they dont make them for overseas

Oh weird. Never noticed before.

#55 1 year ago

I don't know if it would really need all players to have their own reels? Multiplayer is a minor annoyance on Whoa Nellie/Pabst/Primus because you only have the one dinky screen in the apron to read the scores. This will have a playfield LCD so that should be (hopefully) much easier to read.

I'm kinda curious how well the reels will keep up when 4 opto spinners are ripping and roaring

#61 1 year ago

>Yes. The art on his game is all 25 films are represented with their film posters on the sides of the game, on the playfield every actor that's played Bond, Connery, Pierce Brosnan, George Lazenby, of course, Daniel Craig, Roger Moore, they’re all represented on the playfield. Then there's elements he's got villains from each of the Bonds and he's got game features from each of the Bonds. His gadgets and his weapons and stuff work differently than mine but he's basically picked a representative device from each.

Sounds like you get a movie poster version of everyone at the very least.

#72 1 year ago

On Whoa Nellie et al, sometimes the reels will just look odd for a moment while they catch up to what the actual score is. When they fall far behind they will make a quick skip to catch back up. (And your digital score display in the apron is up to date like you would expect)

Would be nice with all those opto spinners to include a mechanical noise maker. Ain't nothing like an EM spinner rip sound

#73 1 year ago

Has there ever been a game with 4 spinners? I can think of a few with 3, but not 4.

edit: Alvin G Football, which is a head to head. So this may be the first non-head-to-head pinball with 4 spinners

#77 1 year ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

sure hope one of those is shatz only

What if you shatzed an inlane spinner into an outlane spinner… the possibilities!

#92 1 year ago

So much leak

ac862c5dde0275ead8d10bd5c460c0c892f1a2d2 (resized).jpegac862c5dde0275ead8d10bd5c460c0c892f1a2d2 (resized).jpeg
#104 1 year ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

So many people were saying Elwin street-level design in the original hype thread before he did, he just repeats everyone else's guesses and charges people $ to listen.

I'm almost positive he was the only one talking about it, well before anyone else. The hype thread reflected his rumors, not the other way.

#113 1 year ago

It's cool the topper and shooter are included, but no art blades? Come on...

#119 1 year ago

I dig the translite. The cabinet art...ehhh.

#159 1 year ago

I’ll just wait another two weeks then speculate on a gate…

Quoted from Wiggidy:

Didn’t Gomez say it used the same screen as the home pins? The display in the picture definitely isn’t the home pin screen. The backbox doesn’t really match up at all with how Gomez described it.

He said that about the playfield screen

#162 1 year ago

so now the definition of street level classic is just a modern stern without ramps?[quoted image]

People use single and street level interchangeably. Street level means cheap single level playfield.

It’s more like a loaded classic Bally than a cheap, low maintenance Gottlieb

#164 1 year ago

It's a render, but I think it's a render of a near final design

You can tell it's a render because of the crummy shadows and lack of detail on things like the start button

#170 1 year ago

Most Stern mockups I've ever seen use another existing playfield in the mock up, maybe a bit blurred out. This one is clear and unique. It seems like a lot of effort for the playfield portion of the render, so I'm still thinking that is legit and from the project's main 3D model of the game.

Maybe the temporary render was given to the 007 site as a place holder till final approvals and samples are built and photographed? Accidentally provided the concept photo with the other games?

Maybe at one point they thought they'd do it like The Beatles, then decided to go even higher market and put in actual score reels?

We'll see more (and probably before we're supposed to)

#175 1 year ago

I think people want it to not sell out and show the market for this sort of thing, but it's going to.

It's an ultra rare and exclusive Elwin pin...not just some gussied up premium. Huge bragging rights for the whales out there to fight over. And the fact it's a pretty popular theme that appeals to Bond fans across multiple generations? There will always be people looking for this game down the line.

#177 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People keep saying that and I don't understand why.
A "clusterfuck" connotates some kind of failure.
FOMO is at an all time high, the LEs are sold out...I don't know man. Seems like the launch is going fine to me.
If "clusterfuck" means driving Pinsiders crazy with FOMO, hype, fear, anger, and excitement (which happens EVERY time a game is revealed), I guess you are right, but that's not really my definition of clusterfuck.

Granted the sales were barely affected, but yeah... You're not stupid. The launch went terribly lol. It makes Stern look bad to other business partners and licensors.

Sending your employees across the ocean to not reveal a game is a bit of a clusterfuck. The whole thing about it being about the queen's passing seems like pure PR spin. But that is speculation...

#178 1 year ago
Quoted from pch3727:

I agree on the appeal of Bond, but at $20k+? How many pins have sold for over $20k?

Easily hundreds at this point

Go try to buy a JJP POTC, some of the rare LEs like Tron, some of the actual rare games like King Kong, etc...

The longer you're in the hobby, the more you realize how many deep pockets are in the hobby

#182 1 year ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Is this where the rich people hang out? If so I may be at the wrong party

Some of use are plebs who can only afford $9k toys and not $30k toys

#184 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is a thread for people to say things like
"If it's a dollar over $18K, I'M OUT!!!!"

Personally, I'm here for the jokes about lube

#191 1 year ago

I'd also prefer LCD reels (not like I'm getting one though)

If they did it like Whoa Nellie et al, I'd imagine they would need to make it more than 4 digit scoring too. All these opto spinners? You'd probably roll the 4 digit scoring multiple times in a great game. Though maybe they can do some over the top lights? I think Gomez mentioned the backglass would have the traditional lightboxes for things like "game over"

I hope Project Pinball can get one to raffle off

#200 1 year ago

I can hold out hope that they like the design enough to retheme it to some other games like Whoa Nellie and the Spider-Man Home variants

Course it may be hard depending on just how integrated this game is with the theme... quick what's another property Odd Job's hat would work in? Charlie Chaplin? Laurel and Hardy? Clockwork Orange?

#202 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Doesn't have to be a hat, could be a jeep in jurassic park.

It was sarcasm

Although sometimes I do think about what Stern will eventually retheme the dino head on the Jack Danger JP game... (Godzilla is the easy answer. Bonus: the jump ramp doubles as a broken bridge)

#210 1 year ago
Quoted from docquest:

In the leaked pic it's shows "over the top" lights for "10,000", "20,000", "30,000", "40,000". It also shows old school looking backlit effects for tilt, game over, balls to play and which player is up.

Oh yeah, I see it now

I wonder if in the final version it's going into a Beatles cabinet, but instead of the typical LCD screen it will be a glass panel with the score reels and other traditional backglass inserts

#211 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People keep saying "they are only making 500 I'll never even be able to play this Elwin classic!"
I'm just pointing out that's bullshit. As someone else pointed out, there are under 200 BBBs on the planet and we've all played it.
I'm not able to buy one? Who gives a shit. I'll sleep like a baby at night without owning the mega-rare pins.

Speak for yourself, I've never seen a BBB. But I have played plenty of other rare games like Joust, Dragon Fist, and Voltan Escapes Cosmic Doom...

I know I'll see this SLE. But not as much as I would want to. Sad panda

#219 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

This is going to be a very expensive game. Way north of $25k I would say.
I hope Elwin negotiated a good deal. If he gets 5% of every game sold at 25k, he'll net $625k, in probably less than a minute when it goes live.

Wow, people really think a lot of pinball designer salaries and royalties these days

#225 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Elwin is the Golden Goose
He deserves probably more than he’s getting right now
You should design something TreyBo, I like your creativity.

I probably get paid more designing much simpler things. Also have you met pinball fans? I deal with less difficult people as a government-official/human-complaint-box.

#228 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Not a lot of pinball options are there?
But the Golden Goose Elwin brings in a lot dough for them.
He’s the only chance they have at selling 500 SLE games. Gomez is no dummy
I hope he’s using his leverage. If he simply walked out the door that’s a ton of $$$ walking out of Stern

yeah, but does Keith wanna walk out that door?

A few Stern employees seem like they took massive paycuts to come work for Stern. Software guys who could make a killing elsewhere (maybe some already did and don't mind the low pay now because they enjoy their work). Idk what Elwin used to do...

The video game industry is pretty well known for exploiting people who love video games and want to work in that industry. Keeps their wages far below comparable engineers and artists.

#238 1 year ago

I'm more pessimistic and would guess the bonus to Keith, and his team, would be you get to buy the game at cost and then they could flip it on their own time.

#247 1 year ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

lol that is funny you mentioned those three. We have them all on the floor at Game Galaxy in Smyrna. LOL

That's where I played them! I imagine you're considering one of these? Wish I didn't move away recently because youre the type of op who'd put something like this out for all to enjoy.

#270 1 year ago

People gotta stop comparing it to Elvira which had a premium model, limited edition, signature edition, and 40th edition

That game was available at a wide variety of price points

#276 1 year ago

All Stern future game production was pushed back several months this year. Think of all the design teams at Stern (Elwin, Borg, Danger, Gomez, Eddy). All their timelines got substantially pushed back and then they had extra time to work on something like this.

#282 1 year ago

The quality of Stern software and game design is a pretty huge difference even if they don’t have full RGB and a techno soundtrack.

TNA is a super fun game. Basic. But super fun.

We’ll see soon enough though.

#285 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

TNA is NOT James Bond. I don’t care what you throw in it.
The Bond 60th will have assets from ALL Bond films as we know.
Theme matters. A lot

Also with Elvira, sure she is a license...a pretty niche license outside the pinball world and especially outside of USA/CAN. James Bond? It has been a global franchise for decades and will continue for decades.

Maybe all the Connery Bonds that will get made will take away a little of the luster, but this is the only version with a Bond for all ages.

#384 1 year ago
Quoted from Tyler_Durden:

Revised, I do feel like covering every inch of a machine in a collage of photos is overkill and just not good design.
[quoted image]

I do like this, although I think the SPECTRE logo needs to go from the armor in this much more subtle version.

Speaking of... With the busy artwork, the SPECTRE logo works when included off by the side to all the Bond movie names/posters. I don't think it's a coincidence to put it by the flipper buttons where the game, ie world under glass, is controlled from.

#387 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The Beatles Golds dipped below $6k NIB when all the dists were left with 10 pack hangovers and way too many golds. Never advertised, but the deals were out there.

Did you have to overpay for something good to get a bundle deal or something? Because that seems like a distributor needlessly selling at a loss.

#411 1 year ago

Ice, I'm honestly surprised you're not more bullish on the prospects of a game with a popular license, designed by the most popular current designer, seemingly a much higher BOM than a typical game, and actually very limited in the grand scheme of things

500 sounds pretty limited to me at least. They're selling a thousand LEs on day one of a cornerstone, and that's with them also building thousands of premiums for a lot less money. Those premiums really drag down the value of the LEs since normal people like myself know it's just silly cosmetic differences.

I wonder how many Supremes Stern built (100-200?). I think that's a better measuring stick. And pinheads will actually want this game unlike Supreme.

#427 1 year ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Developers in Pinball. Seem underpaid last I checked.. but this can't be true long-term.
Gaming industry doesn't always underpay. Plenty of Developers I know in the Console market make just north of
200k with 5x years of experience. ( At a Established studio ) Granted a couple new guys might be 90-130 depending on what they bring to table.
In the Mobile / Web world you can the same or more depending n your expertise.
Without the A game developers / engineers these companies really going stop being able to compete.

Yeah but pinball isn't as competitive of an industry. Seems like designers did pretty well for themselves back in the day when there were multiple major manufacturers competing for talent. These days, there's not a lot of positions and a few companies arguably already have too many designers considering their release cadence.

If you wanna be a pinball designer and actually see your games come out with any regularity, there's really only one company to work for...

#429 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Its not a rumor, Gomez himself said it.
The game might be single level but its supposedly going to have quite a bit going on. A lot more than beatles does (at least at a glance, I still maintain that beatles has a lot, it just doesn't look like it). I think they'll get snatched up quick too, but if it does turn out Ice is correct, I won't be completely shocked.

It's unfortunate how people sleep on The Beatles. It's fucking loaded. It has 4 flippers, 3 drop target banks, 2 opto spinners, a magnet, a spinning magnet, then the typical slings/pops/etc. But people think ramps cost more than drop target banks or something...

Or they just don't like how brutally hard a game can be without ramps safely returning the ball to them all the time

#431 1 year ago

there was only 1 option to get a supreme pin
with Bond, there are 3 other lower cost options that look really good!

Yeah, but that's a different game and only covers a fraction of the Bond franchise

Of course if it didn't exist, then this game would go for an even more obscene amount of money

#434 1 year ago
Quoted from Smack:

I don't think this was brought up with the Supreme example but Stern wasn't the one charging 50k or whatever those sold for. Supreme contracted and paid Stern to make those pins then sold them to their customers. Similar to Heavy Metal.
Anyone can contract Stern to make a homepin variant, you just need to agree to the minimum order and pony up the cash.

I don't know if the distinction really matters. Stern is going to sell all 500 direct to their distributors. Then the distributors price them as they see fit.

In both situations Stern presells them all and baked in their profit upfront. So they don't care too much beyond trying to make sure the distributors don't get stuck with something they can't sell for a nice profit

#440 1 year ago

Well we will find out soon enough how much the Elwin name/brand is worth...

If I was a distributor I'd try to stash one or two away. No different than when some sit on LEs/toppers and wait for someone who just has to have it. If Elwin keeps pumping out the hits, his richest fans will need the crown jewel in their collection...

#442 1 year ago

Yeah well if you want Elvira you can spend $9k to get one (if Stern ever bothered to build them)

I don't know why that is such a hard concept for some to grasp. This is a very unique and limited production. No alternate versions, no reskins, etc..

The things I've seen this hobby throw money at...and you guys are skeptical of it being 25k and up? Like maybe there are some deals in the first few weeks when the games all hit the market at the same time, but hold back a little and they will start to rise up.

It's like you guys choose to ignore the existence of games like JJP POTC...

#508 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Without getting too off track and setting aside labor what would be the largest expense? Cabinet has to be the largest, have you seen the cost of quality wood?

In the past, I've heard a fully assembled cabinet and associated parts was around $1,000. That was a few years ago before wood became stupid expensive...

There are a ton of common parts all games use too. They all have at least two playfield node boards (the home game variants only have one), ball trough, dual plunger, two flippers, and two slings. That's a few hundred bucks right there.

#510 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Node board cost is far less than what we pay.
Wood though, can't dodge that one.

Well yeah, but node boards probably still cost maybe $100 or so for Stern. Then another $35-50 for each of the standard six mechs all games include.

#512 1 year ago

Some of those costs might be offset by reusing code aspects from the Gomez and putting them in the Elwin version. Example, I saw an extra ball animation in the Gomez Bond that would be perfectly adequate for reuse on the Elwin version.

If you look at Star Wars Home and Jurassic Park Home you'll notice how they remix and reuse some animations and sounds from the cornerstone, and then supplemented it with new stuff.

#515 1 year ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

My God...
Why is anyone even interested in this game unless they're the biggest 500 BOND fans ever?

Because I like pinball?

#561 1 year ago

At some point I wonder if some of the true deep pockets in the hobby are acting skeptical because they don’t want the initial asking price to be too crazy.

There will be a sweet spot of almost all of these hitting the market at once at a high, dipping down a bit after a few months, then a period of going back up in value when there are extremely few up for sale.

They’re going after hardcore Bond fans with all the movies in one, the wealthy type who want to show off an expensive toy, and the rich pinnerds who want the super exclusive Elwin game.

#603 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I think Rick Naegele has a pretty good record of complete, even ornate code for Elwin's pins in the end. Not worried about that part.
My only worry is Gomez/Stern telling them to make it simple code like early Solid State machines. The sale BS we were told about how Munsters sucked and was a code wasteland because Dwight was told to make a simple game. Complete waste of a license. So THAT is a danger, but if that didn't happene, I think Elwin/Naegele will do a great job as they have proven they are consistently capable of doing.

I believe this was coded by Mark Penacho. Naegele has been busy making Godzilla a modern coding masterpiece. (And then probably moved on to preproduction for Elwin’s actual next cornerstone.)

But like a lot of things pinball, it’s a huge team with collaborative effort.

1 week later
#700 1 year ago

Pinball isn’t like baseball cards. Trading card companies have to tread very carefully while they literally print money/commodities for nerds to speculate over.

500 pinball machines is rare. Stop comparing it to EHOH 40th. No shit you lost money, you could have gotten basically the same game for $9k.

I once heard an ex Williams guy say the minimal viable number of games to produce was around 1000 units. Enough to recover development costs and make a little money. So 500 units sold through at twice the typical cost?

Then the distributors can sell to some “whales” day one, give a “great deal” to a few loyal customers, and sit on the rest to see what the demand is like down the line

The price will be high, then quickly drop, then slowly rise back up

Even if the game is just “ok” there will be Elwin stans who gotta have it down the line.

#772 1 year ago

In the render some people noticed inline drops. Would it be the first in a Stern since Metallica?

If they’re making 500 inline drop mechs there is hopefully a cornerstone in the near future with inline drops.

Inline drops rule. That’s all.

1 week later
#788 1 year ago

Saw this in the other hype thread. Don't recognize it. Could be the 60th edition. Suppose Waison is on support code.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#796 1 year ago

Gomez also mentioned there would be multiple sound packages, including an 80s style one

I'm guessing this game is trying to match what pinball would look like during that specific Bond era. So digital chimes to match the score reels as a sound package? Maybe an alphanumeric style graphics on the LCD to match the 80s music?

#799 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

Gomez also said he pulled a mech from his game and it ended up going in Keith’s game.

I thought he also said it was standard pinball parts on the playfield. So drops, pops, spinners, etc. Just used in interesting ways

#807 1 year ago

Remember how Keith brought back the classic Stern ball locking/staging mech from Flight 2000 for AIQ?

What if he took Oddjob’s Hat and combined it with everyone’s other favorite classic Stern: the spinning bumper from Orbitor 1

#811 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Trying to figure out where the PF screen is...know it was stated to be in there, and given the size should show somewhere.....

I'd guess emededed in the center of the playfield. It's not a big screen. Apron wouldn't be a bad spot either (instead of the standard rule card), but I think they said it was in the playfield

I'm also assuming it'll be in The Beatles cabinet. It could be in the Whoa Nellie et al cabinet, but I doubt there is enough vertical clearance for toys like Oddjob's hat.

#819 1 year ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Haven't checked this thread in 18 days...
No new pictures ??

Just another blurry leak of the layout a page or two back. Not much to go off of

Should see more next week though.

#846 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Any guesses what song tracks of the 25 movies they have for this model.
They have 4 out of the 6 Connery movies for the pro/prem/le (missing goldfinger and thunderball), so I imagine there were some more they couldn't license due to the cost for the SLE.

Gomez mentioned there being multiple sound packages, including an 80s style. My guess is the sound effects try to sound appropriate to the era Bond you are playing. So digital chimes for Connery and Lazenby, arcade synth packaging for Moore and Dalton, and some generic Bond tunes from the cornerstone for Brosnan and Craig

#866 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

500 is a lot of pins.
Wasn’t that long ago that Stern was under $10k for 500 LEs, full games.
The 80 BM66 SLE pins is “super limited”.
They couldn’t sell 200 Elvira 40ths above $20k.
It’s the same market of people. Yeah I know, there were other versions of Elvira.
Not many people will buy both Bond games.

You're still comparing it to games with cheaper base models though

#903 1 year ago

I got a raise at work. If the spinner sounds are right and I'm enough beers deep, I could make a dumb celebratory decision. But gotta see it...

#931 1 year ago

What's the official difference between a street level and a regular game - a ramp or 2?

A single level has no ramps (or very minor ones like Seawitch). That's almost all pinball pre early 80s. They can be pretty loaded with shots and mechs (like an Eight Ball Deluxe). A street level was a Gottlieb style of game that made single level games for super cheap in the early 90s.

Single level = no ramps
Street level = single level with low BOM

#933 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Seawitch has zero ramps.

I brainfarted while thinking of The Beatles

#935 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I guess you can shoot it (sort of), but I wouldn't consider that a ramp at all.

I understand why most wouldn't, but it certainly is a type of ramp. How is it not? It ramps the ball up an elevation. It even feeds a flipper if you plunge it right.

#938 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Exactly, is this configuration it's just a one way gate.

It may function as a one way gate, but it's a small ramp. Fireball's skillshot ramp is another weird gray zone of "it's a ramp, but not the kind you typically think of"

#941 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

A good observation but not a ramp either as it is a raised/warped portion of the playfield.
If you could take the "ramp" away would it change the destination of the ball? In both cases the answer is no. On Beatles the ball would still launch and on Fireball the ball would still enter the playfield. You would lose the skill shot on fireball but the ball isn't be transported to another location on the playfield like a typical ramp.
It is an interesting question to consider as you have ramps to nowhere like Space Shuttle for example. At least on Space Shuttle the ramp to nowhere is raised so the ball can pass under it (shooter lane)

I guess defining a "ramp" to mean that it has to ramp up to at least one ball height elevation change is a good starting spot. Iron Maiden's center jump ramp is basically an extreme version of this little type of "skip" ramp (I can't think of a better name for that type of Beatles ramp)

As an aside, mentioning flattening Fireball made me think of flattening Flash Gordon. I don't think it does anything that really requires it to be split level.

Also what is the Phoenix shot that goes up on rails *pulls hair*

Please release a game so we don't have to have nerdy semantic conversations or I'll go bald

#944 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Agreed.

Balls pickup some speed coming down the ramps though, I can attest as an FG owner!
I'm considering ordering a Pro for no other reason than people bitching about node boards and bad artwork.
It would amuse me greatly.

I was tempted in a pro till the local spot said they're getting one. Also this is the 60th Hype Thread!

Imagine the howling, gnashing of teeth, and furious clacking of keyboards if this had slings that fired together

#955 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

That’s why I’m super excited to see this super LE version of Bond. I bet it’s a fantastic shooter.

It's a Keith game where he got to go drunk with opto spinners and drops. It's going to shoot amazing. Whether or not the code is interesting...we'll see...

The Beatles rules are simple but very good for what that game is

#970 1 year ago

They’re not building them till December, so maybe? Get people at maximum hype and deliver it before they can think too hard about it.

Just a bizarre year for Stern from an outside perspective.

#981 1 year ago

I just don’t get why people think The Beatles should cost less

It has more stuff in it than some other premiums.

#983 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Because it doesn't have ramps and most people think ramps are the most expensive thing in a pinball machine.
For a bunch of people who buy pinball parts on the reg you'd think Pinsiders would have a better idea of what really goes into a pinball machine. You'd think that and you'd be wrong.

I know. It’s just nuts that they think a vacuum formed ramp, like a dollar worth of plastic, is expensive.

The value perception of ramps is off the charts.

Ramps in a fan layout and detailed art. Stern knows what is the best ROI in the BOM for owners these days…

#987 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes.
It's a never ending fantasy around here; there's supposedly some magic formula where a commercial pinball machine can be built cheap and sold cheap and everybody will be happy. Some alchemy where you can still get a "pro" pinball machine, but somehow it will be cheaper because it looks and plays more like a "classic" pinball machine from 40 years ago.
Take out the license...take out the ramps...and you still have a $10K TNA.
No matter how many times people demand it, it will NEVER happen. You are not going to get a game "cheaper than a pro" just because it doesn't have ramps or a popular license. It doesn't make any sense.
They've stripped down games as much as they can and still make an acceptable ROI; it's called the Stern home games, and those are $5k. If that's what you want, have at it. That's what you are going to get. There is no middle-ground between a "the pin" and a "stern pro" and there never will be.

Pinside in general: we want XYZ
Pinball companies: here you go
Pinside: no not like that

Apply it to original themes, price conscious products, high end products, whatever…

#1008 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But it has no ramps!!!!!
Those things are woven out of hardened silk, custom designed and built, with tooling and skills that are possessed only by the world’s most experienced Ramp Artisans.
It’s not just the one-off cost per unit of ramp. It’s all of the money, research. and development - the untold sunk costs - that can produce these delicate, ornate fixtures of “pro” pinball machines.

Yeah, it’s a highly special and unique feature that designers and manufacturers only have about 40 years of experience with. It takes weeks of meticulous design to draw a three dimensional curve in Solidworks.

And they only make a few thousand of each ramp, which drags up the tooling and design cost up to maybe $5/unit in addition to the $1 worth of plastic. Include the cost of a switch or two, and maybe a flasher lamp and dome. Can’t forget the twenty-five cents worth of screws and ramp flap at the entrance either. Expensive stuff!

Quoted from gdonovan:

Everyone is ignoring the cost of Beatles licensing.
A friend of mine is in the car business selling parts for Chrysler products, the licensing fees and requirements are utterly insane. It's one reason when you go to the toy store you see lots of GM and Ford products on the shelf and much less Chrysler.
The licensing fees are horrible and Chrysler does nothing in return for the scalping.
And mind you this is for nothing more than using the words "SRT" "Mopar" "Super Bee" or "Hemi" they want upwards of 50%

Didn’t JoeK brag about the license being $1m? So a little over $500 per unit for a nearly 2000 unit run

Comparatively Roger Sharpe has mentioned in interviews that an average is well under $100 per unit http://pavlovpinball.com/pinball-licencing-101-how-much-why-and-harry-potter/

So yeah. It’s not that hard to make a decent estimate and comparison of the Beatles BOM to other pros and premiums

If you come up thinking it’s comparable to a pro, you’re just working backwards from your own foregone conclusion. It was a premium BOM with a slight extra cost for the license and JoeK’s taste of the pie.

Why we are still litigating this, among some pinsiders that I don’t think are stupid (though maybe too fond of arguing for the sport of it), is beyond me.

#1016 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

And Kapow's cut. Essentially two licenses before anything's built. But the game really is less-than with the short music clips and stills instead of archival video, plus a slight tweak on an existing design, so little R&D. Less work than flipping a Borg layout for a new machine.

“Tweak on an existing design”

Bruh… they had to redraw the whole thing in CAD. So what they had a jumpstart on a layout concept? They basically did every other aspect of the game from scratch like a normal game

It’s not like when they redo Spiderman Home or Whoa Nellie. Throw on some new art, replace some sounds, put in the same basic software.

Although I will say the software development of Beatles was maybe a bit cheaper compared to most titles since there’s only a handful of modes and scoring features.

Borg is the one constantly tweaking existing designs he made within the past several years…

#1042 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Somebody better tell Keith that.
LTG : )

Eh, it only took him like twenty minutes to design the game with standard off the shelf parts (or at least that’s the way some think about stuff like this)

#1057 1 year ago

I’m interested if it’s only-kinda-stupidly-priced and not offensively-stupid-priced

#1071 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

If someone wants to drool over high gross margins.. they should look at software and service companies

Which is what Stern is doing because their profitability, presently, is almost entirely dictated by the factory production output.

Software as a service with recurrent fees are coming sooner than later... (which was another area Mueller was exploring)

#1098 1 year ago
Quoted from frisco_melt:

I tried to wrestle it back from them, but none of my $2 billion lottery tickets hit

How do you make a million dollars in pinball? Start with two billion...

2 weeks later
#1156 1 year ago

At this point, I'll be surprised if they show it before the end of December. They got Gomez Bonds to build and sell.

I think they hold back till they're basically ready to ship.

#1171 1 year ago

I wish it was more like The Beatles. Make 1,500 or whatever at a typical premium price. Then maybe 60 limited editions and 7 super limited editions.

#1175 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

If Stern want to keep pinball alive, they need to remember to make every machine accessible to as many people as possible. As you say, this game needs to have multiple editions so there is something for everybody. Limited to 500 games is a wasted of Keith Elwins talent in my opinion. This move does nothing to expand the hobby.

That or it just gives the impression this is all an after thought game to keep designers/teams busy. Which maybe it is?

Like for $8k Beatles Gold is a good time. Not a lot of software, but a tough layout that makes good use of what's there. (And bonus, they later added the option to play OG Seawitch rules which disables the magnets and spinners and such - so it's two games in one)

But the idea of paying 25k for that sort of game? Yeah no.

And I feel like I'm the exact market for this sort of game? If it was under 10k, I'd be all over it. I love single level playfields

#1178 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

After recent ownership of Rush and Avengers, and forcing myself to play a shitload of Turtles and also Elvira, I've come to the conclusion that most of Stern's latest offerings are basically joyless slogs if you are good at pinball.
Beatles is probably the most "fun" of their recent games, and Zep gets an honorable mention too. I know that my opinion is probably counter to the feelings of the vast majority of Pinsiders - I think long, easy slogs are what most buyers want.
I said all that to say this: The Elwin Bond will certainly be right up my alley, and probably the best game Stern has made in years. Unfortunately it's nothing I'll be able to play much, and I'm certainly not buying one.

I agree with you to a large extent. So many modern Sterns play so easily and for so long, there are a lot of titles I have a hard time getting "hyped" for

I do like Elvira, because the rules, toys, and presentation keep me engaged. But something like Stranger Things is a soulless grind to me. I don't think ST is a bad game, it just doesn't do anything for me because it's the same typical layout, few toys, and a lot of "shoot the flashing light" modes that have few interesting gameplay mechanics.

I like Godzilla has more interesting stuff going on, although you gotta get through the boring stuff (your first tier 1 mode for example) to get to the more interesting gameplay modes like Terror of Mechagodzilla

#1183 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Yep....just not encouraged that the LE is already $14k, and Gomez states " this game will be expensive". Imho, $14k is already expensive, so good grief.
Got a good feeling the 60 is going to be a great game and alot of fun. Bad feeling is they'll have a $25k tag on it.
Can I buy one? Yep. Will I ? Not at $25k.
Will Stern care? Doubtful....

The distributors who will be stuck with these will care...

#1207 1 year ago

I used to do local tech stuff for a particular large distributor, including setting up games and general overviews of ownership. I've personally seen someone get bit by the bug and then drop nearly 100k for an instant collection within a few months. A mix of new Sterns, premiums only of course, and then some over priced used games that selected because they were in the Pinside Top 100. Plus various mods, accessories, and of course toppers.

Shit adds up quick if you can afford it

#1243 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

I am gonna hold out until the Super Super Limited Edition is announced.

If they did a Bond Girls edition it would sell out faster than this edition

#1277 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can see this isn’t your first rodeo!

After that, let's argue about how Stern should show gameplay at the reveal of this Bond. Then begrudgingly agree Stern doesn't have to because the people who buy this sort of game don't give a fuck

Then after we all see the playfield, we can circle back to the eternal debate about how expensive the unobtanium plastic for ramps costs Stern.

#1283 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

I wonder if they were also trying to beat AP. I think there have been rumblings they might drop a game before the years end. If true, this is good timing for spooky.

TBH I think this is more likely. They were showing off Galactic Tank Force art in September. The game is launching soonish

#1319 1 year ago

60th is a smaller off shoot of the Gomez Bond. So that sorta makes sense to call it twig if the other is stick?

#1344 1 year ago

This is the week boys, I can feel it

And if it's not this week, then maybe next week. I can feel it!

(I really think they're holding off till all the Bond LEs are built and mostly sold)

#1368 1 year ago

Next week is the week! Or not!

#1374 1 year ago
Quoted from mstang01:

There’s always tomorrow…

Has there ever been a reveal on a Friday? It's usually a Monday or Tuesday

Granted this unit probably doesn't need the same sort of press release/marketing plan of a typical cornerstone where they try to coordinate the reveal with multiple media outlets.

#1377 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Stern should announce the game sold out before it went on sale: thus no reveal is necessary.

It probably has already sold through to distributors?

#1378 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I dunno, if I was Stern I'd be pushing this as a "halo" product, like car manufacturers do (sorry Levi, sorry, so sorry).
The strategy being "most people can't afford this and won't buy one, but it gets in the news, it look sexy, being expensive makes your other buys from us look like a better deal and that the brand is worth more" etc.
In that sense you definitely want as much media hype as you can get.

If only this was ready for a certain 60th anniversary party full of rich drunk Bond fanatics and international press people..

#1405 1 year ago

If you want a NIB Beatles Gold, they are still out there

#1414 1 year ago

I'm guessing they show it off at CES in Vegas, first weekend of January. Maybe a teaser before then?

#1439 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Is this a “what I did on my winter break” thread?

On my winter break, I was frozen in my home, the airlines cancelled our tickets to visit family during Christmas, and my wife had to pick up shifts at the hospital (including the 25th). So I watched drunk men yell at each other online. I put on a funny Santa hat to make it feel more festive.

60th at CES is my current stab in the dark

#1441 1 year ago

Hey my stab in the dark was right!

#1446 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

" Game On" or not I suppose, lol....this kind of release= machine is going to be expensive as hell imho....hoping Im wrong

I know distributors are already telling people they don't know the cost but to expect EHOH40th like pricing. So probably 20-25k.

#1460 1 year ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Hmmm... This is looking more accurate.... only now its 9-12 days away CES / show reveal.... Also I was told and I'm quoting a very major STERN distributor they were told and this is a huge spread 30k-40k is what they are expecting the SLE 60th 007 to be priced at.

If this thing is 30-40k initial pricing, I think I need to log out for a while. Mostly because I don't want to hear the arguments over it.

#1467 1 year ago

Four spinners, that's all I need to know to want it.

I'm very interested to see what Elwin does with the single level format.

#1482 1 year ago

way over

#1492 1 year ago
Quoted from Grantman:

I just had another dealer with a Thunderball LE available contact me yesterday. It appears that people are still dropping out when it's time to actually pay for/pick up the game. If the 60th anniversary game costs twice as much, I don't see how they are going to sell 500 of them.

Having them ready to ship as soon as you agree to buy, but maybe not think about it too hard, is one way

If Stern struggles to sell LEs in the future, wouldn't be surprised to see them start the LE run even quicker after launch. People thinking about it for too long and seeing the actual current state of gameplay is bad for sales (Bond in particular considering the early code state)

#1494 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That is funny. These aren’t the “good old days” when Stern wanted you to write a letter on why you deserve to be able to buy a BM66 CE.
Lots of BondLEs sloshing around out there.
Let’s start the FOMO deliveries even faster?
Yeah I think that jig is up. You can start shipping day one. If it’s $13k it ain’t gonna work anyhow with 1,000 of them. Maybe on a few huge titles?
I’m excited for the Bond 60th just because of ALL the assets.
When the novelty wears off on the scoring reels and 4 spinners with a pf screen what are we left with?
Beatles

Beatles is a fun game. Shame they couldn't have made more of these 60ths for us plebs who can only afford 9k toys (by which I mean they chose to not make more and to annoy a lot of fans)

#1500 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

I fear a lot of you guys are gonna be disappointed when you realize "assets!" do not always refer to video clips. When they said it's going to represent every film, could be as simple as a weapon on an insert. Anyone who expects some kind of Batman '66 codestravaganza with a unique mode or two for each villain, godspeed.

I'm also thinking what video is in the game will be relatively minimal. Also I think Gomez said something about alternate sound packages and mentioned an 80s sounding one, so who knows what sort of Bond music/callouts you'll get either

I assume the game depth/assets will be a lot more like The Beatles than Batman 66. (and some reused animations from the Gomez Bond)

Such a weird product... it's really not clear who it's for, besides the very wealthy. And even they seem sorta meh to the game.

I think enthusiasts/tournament-players would be all over this game if it was priced like a typical premium. Like I think they could sell 1,250 at 10k vs 500 at 25k.

#1503 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

But then you’re doing more than 2x the work, with more than 2x the parts cost, for the same total dollar amount.

Then make 250 of them LEs for 15k. That adds another 1,250k

(this seems like a logic train that lead to how the Beatles was sold)

#1519 1 year ago

Do we think it’ll have more than two playfield node boards?

Probably not (though the playfield screen is likely it’s own node board)

#1521 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Those numbers don't add up either. Let's just say for argument's sake that Stern's cost to build one of these is $5K. If they sold 500 at $25K that would net $10 million profit. If they sold 250 at $15K that would net $2.5 million plus 1250 standards at $10K ($6.25 million), plus it ties up the line from making other games. Stern knows what they're doing. Like Levi says, If Pinside ran Stern they'd go tits up in a week It took Stern a long time to sell all 1964 Beatles games, I don't think they want to try pushing the market to try and sell that many of another single level game at an even higher price point. I think these 500 will sell out quick no matter what they set the price at.

Sure but also at higher production runs, fixed costs like the license, software development, custom parts (ball guides and similar) would likely come down too

I’m just annoyed that this will be an interesting and unique layout out of Stern, but I won’t be able to afford it compared to the typical layouts that dominate most of their game portfolio.

Beatles really is my favorite Spike 2 game. It’s unlike any other modern Stern game and a great enhancement of a classic layout.

#1526 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

So, this is in the category of literally nothing else to talk about until January 3
Am I the only one who is disappointed that the SLE backglass will apparently use the same Connery art as the LE? If the game is 30k, we couldn't get literally one new/different picture of connery for the blackglass?
I know, stupid first world problems.
But still....

It’s a totally different game. You seem to be mistaken.

This isn’t about the Gomez Bond LE. There is no SLE of that game. The backglass of this will feature all the Bonds of the last 60 years. Early concept/render earlier in the thread.

#1528 1 year ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Does this include at least one owner's thread that won't be able to be created yet?

I’m excited for the owner thread started by someone who doesn’t own the game then decides to shit on it to the point it gets shut down.

#1533 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Ha. No doubt.
Almost forgot one thing. If you have the LE and the 60th then there will be special code and modes to unlock.
They are pulling out all the stops to ring the quinella register.

FOMO train going to run over wallets with Gary Stern Seth Davis yelling “choo choo mothefuckers”

#1534 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

So if I understand correctly, this game has nothing to do with the current James Bond machines being produced at the moment? Completely different playfield? Two different Bond games run back to back? Let's pit Gomez vs. Elwin and see who is better? I do not understand. Why doesn't Stern have Elwin create a new and different theme? This is confusing.

Yes

#1539 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

OK. I am interested to see what the playfield design will look like. Is Keith E. not designing a Bond Pro and Premium also....since this is a different Bond machine? (and probably will be superior)

Yes

Leak of the cabinet render and a blurry CAD sketch earlier in the thread.

#1546 1 year ago

Speaking of Insider Connected, I think if you register this game to your personal collection Stern is definitely looking at your other registered IC games (do LE’s show up as unique? Maybe for Stern on the backend)

They are learning what some people are willing to spend on their home collection

#1547 1 year ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

Maybe they can tie the pops and slings all to the same node and make them all fire at once.

And all drop targets could reset at once, no stage flipping either.

#1549 1 year ago

If stern is only making two cornerstones next year instead of the typical four (so only two LEs)…they know there are customers who can afford a LE that costs 2x-3x as much because they were likely to spend that much on pins in a single year anyway. You already kinda see it with how they’re jacking up LE costs

#1552 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

There is only one high end collector here and he will brag to all of us, over and over and over again

Let’s avoid the thread poll

$25k Fathom Mermaid vs $25k Bond 60th

#1597 1 year ago

It seems like Stern is going to sell some direct, which seems like that means they have to put up an official MSRP? I can't imagine they'd sell direct with a "call for pricing"

#1671 1 year ago

The game will absolutely 100% not be worth 25k. It’s a 25k speculative item that happens to be a pinball, and maybe someone will pay big bucks for it down the line

It has some similarities with Supreme.

They’ll sell every one of them

#1677 1 year ago

Seems like there was 100-200 Supremes that sold for 10k. And now they rarely trade, and for big bucks

Bond is a theme at least pinball buyers are into.

#1700 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

The main problems I have with this image is:
1 No reals in the back-box.
2 Stern does not make forward placed toppers with square backing.
3 Elwin himself asked, “what makes you think the image is real?” Casting big time doubt on it.
4 Its just plain ugly with almost no forethought from an artistic view, even 60s art view.
5 For rumored $25k or there about, it has to be much better than this?[quoted image]

It’s a concept render. Real game will look more or less like that though.

#1795 1 year ago

I respect your approach of making them try to sell to you vs the onus of you to find someone to stick it in your [expletive]

#1847 1 year ago
mybodyisready-drama.gifmybodyisready-drama.gif
#1874 1 year ago

Ok, I saw the one cool shot. It is super neat. Now on to the next game

/hype

#1890 1 year ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

In cart but had to pass
Just with a quick vid, looks like it's got the record spinner from GnR and the Danesi lock from TNA

It's not a Danesi Lock. It's just inlines with a saucer

Also it's the AIQ disc

#1895 1 year ago

Also those are reel score reels ala Whoa Nellie, they just look like a LCD screen

#1901 1 year ago

I don't care for the score reels, but otherwise I'd be down to buy this as a premium. Oh well

#1914 1 year ago

At least the pops fire independently

#1925 1 year ago

Let's see

2 flippers
2 slings
4 opto spinners
2 saucers
1 4 bank of drops
1 3 bank of drops
1 3-in-line drops
1 horizontal spinner bash toy
2 pops
1 captive ball
2 control gates

then a few stand up targets

#1927 1 year ago

Keith said he'd never make less than a 3 flipper game. So that's unique

#1945 1 year ago

Seeing an inline set of drops makes me hope that if Stern is making 500 of these, then they're making even more to use on other games. First set of them on a Stern since Metallica

#1985 1 year ago

Looking at the henchmen, it does look a lot like The Beatles ruleset where the modes are tied to a particular feature

Blofield is drops
Oddjob is the disc
Jaws is spinners
LeChiffre is super shots (captive ball?)
Trevelyan is loops
Zorin is pops

Seems straightforward enough

#1992 1 year ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

Any movie clips at all on the screens?!

Probably not coded in yet (at least when the trailer was filmed). I noticed they had nothing in the trailer but some logos.

#2005 1 year ago

Ignoring the price, I think the layout is actually pretty cool. Saying it's not worth the price is understandable, but I don't get the attitude that it's not a unique layout

Then again, this is why Stern only dips the toe in the water with single level designs.

#2016 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I like the idea of the score reals, but it looks to me like it was tacked on at the last minute to save money on having to have screen assets. I realize LCDs are WAY cheaper than reels, but...

there's a LCD screen in the playfield...

#2066 1 year ago

I'll stir the pot, 500 Bond 60ths at 20k has more demand than 1,000 TS4 at 15k.

#2131 1 year ago

Just cut up your favorite bond movie poster for DIY art blades that will look just as good as the factory

#2312 1 year ago

I'm curious to see those reels go when you get 4 opto spinners going at once

#2341 1 year ago

I wonder if someone at Eon Productions saw the Whoa Nellie/Pabst/Primus game, saw the score reels and said "just like that! but a new layout!"

People are assuming Keith/Stern wanted the score reels there...

Eon seemed to want this limited run and they seemed to dictate all the cosmetic stuff. They might have insisted on score reels

#2352 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

Since they (Stern or licensor, whoever) wanted the SLE to be retro, why not make the cornerstone the "all six Bonds" model and have this one just Connery? It's weird to have those ultra-modern Daniel Craig film posters on the side of a game with score reels.

I'm going to guess paying for the assets to do all the Bonds (meaning film clips) like a proper cornerstone would have been too much vs doing just Connery.

I'm really skeptical of how much film footage will be on that playfield screen. But we will find out...

#2358 1 year ago

So with the score reels and the lamp panel instead of a LCD screen, I guess you're forced to have the game set to 3 ball because there are no inserts to do 4 and 5 ball?

#2371 1 year ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

Come on man! What 80s solid state is set to 5 balls anyways? Forced accuracy is all..

There are a handful of early classic solid states (late 70s) that I set to 5 ball. Part of the reason is those games are going to house ball you a few times per game. And the other reason being a 4 player group playing 5 ball games of something like Dolly Parton will still be quicker than a smaller group playing 3 ball games on any modern pin.

#2378 1 year ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

Awesome! Sounds like fun. When is the tournament?

It can be whenever you want. Just know I charge a $20,000 entrance fee and that is not for the prize pool. But hey, I at least put the games on free play!

#2437 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

What kind of food will be provided?

A bag of combos. Also BYOB

#2651 1 year ago

I think the more unique shot than the 8, which as pointed out by other people has been sorta done, is actually the left lane the saucer in the middle of the top half of the 8. That seems more unique. So combining both shots/shapes makes a unique little area.

It's kinda interesting hearing what other playfields people first think of when they see this. There's been a few I agree with, along with a few oddballs (Centaur, really?)

#2654 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The game was designed as a cash grab pure and simple versus being something driven from passion. This is not like Batman 66 SLE, Star Trek LE, Godzilla LE, or really most Stern LE's where you can tell extra effort went into it.
People can say whatever they want about Toy Story 4 CE (using it as an example due to the debate about the price) but like it or not at least it actually has "higher end" features such as RadCal's, the playfield sparkle, art blades from the factory, a mirrored backglass, a custom molded shooter knob versus a sticker, a high quality metallic powder coat, matching powder coated interior pieces, signatures from the entire design team, a significantly more substantial topper, etc. There's nothing really like that in Bond 60th and it cost $5k more at $20k...Charge $15k, $20k, whatever but at least make it somewhat come across as a high end item. Where's the foil decals that Stern has used before, the higher end powder coat (Batman 66 SLE), and a more substantial topper (Batman 66, Black Knight SOR)?

This is the dumbest fucking thing I've read in this thread

This is an SLE that is actually unique in every way, but somehow it's a a SLE without any extra effort. Some of you people...

#2658 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

How is this?
[quoted image]
Worth $5k more then this with a ton of less features?
[quoted image]

What part of it's an entirely unique game don't you get lol

I don't want to argue value because it's dumb. Value is subjective to the buyer.

#2667 1 year ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

What is so unique about it? No new mechs, 4 spinners? layout? Met drop targets? A hat on a spinner? Everything in this game has been done before at one time. If you want one buy it if not don't.

The point he is making about how they blinged one other SLE was. Which sure, it was blinged out over the base model

There is no base model of this game

It is unique

For all those who want to borrow bits and pieces of old games and say this isnt a unique layout, way to go...you realized all pinball is highly iterative of a few basic elements. Maybe people will fetishizes layouts a little less now.

#2742 1 year ago
Quoted from K9Marshal:

This isn't "super" or an "le". I get the whole "you can buy it or not speech" most people say to the complainers but what I don't get is people trying to say that this is some great offering from Stern and the insane price tag is justified simply because its different or Elwin or whatever.

I don't think a single person has argued that it isn't overpriced?

I just object to the people who think this is lazy and somehow an affront to Keith's legacy.

Also...Stern seems to be moving to a two cornerstone approach system. This 60th game seemed like something to keep Keith busy. It didn't mess up his other projects because it seems like he wasn't scheduled for a 2023 release anyhow.

#2754 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't get the Diamond Lady comparison at all. Diamond Lady has more in common with Volley.

I can see it a bit with the left lane and then a turn around shot in the back corner, then a drop bank in the mid left and middle area. But of course...it's actually pretty different when you really look at it

Some of these people must shit bricks when they see a typical seven shot fan layout

#2760 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

the reels look awesome!

oh wow, they do spin incredibly fast...my worries about opto spinners is assuaged (good thing for the game I'll never own)

#2775 1 year ago

Imagine if they did make a home game of this layout, which isn't the worst idea. So let's start BOM cutting stuff and coil counting and imagining what that game would look like

A home game gets one node board with 9 controllable coils. So trough, autolauncher, two flippers, and making the slings fire together takes up 5 of the 9. Change the 3 and 4 drop target banks to stand up targets. Change the control gates to one way gates. Keep the inline drops, but remove the coil that will knock them down (I didn't see this in the video, but those inline can apparently be knocked down by a coil). Tie the pops together. Keep the two saucers. That's nine coil outputs.

Then take out the four opto spinners and put in two regular spinners. (four would be amazing of course but probably a bom buster)

Remove playfield screen and score reels. Then put it into the home format with a MDF playfield, a slightly smaller cabinet, mono speaker, and a phone sized LCD

Would people want to pay about $5,500 for that? I'm a little skeptical...

This full game for 10k-11k? I think there'd be more interest, but I'll admit a lot of people just have a low opinion of single level games as evident by this thread (and the Beatles reaction)

#2831 1 year ago

I think superfluous is the best way to describe the reels. They're totally unnecessary, but they are neat.

I love the sound of an EM score reel and chime box trying to keep up with a crushed spinner, but I don't like how you're actually not getting full value. I like that these will score correctly. Would have been cool if they had a noise maker like a few of the earliest solid state games. (Williams would put a dummy score reel in some System 3 game cabinets to provide a familiar sound)

#2836 1 year ago

Game looks fun. I like their choice to not have lane change for being both generally era appropriate, but also to keep the bonus scoring in check.

Now the question is, when you collect your bonus on the game...does it empty out or does it carry on? Because it would be neat to max your bonus, collect it, then start collecting a new bonus. (think Mars Trek)

#2844 1 year ago

The screen in the playfield is doing about what I expected it to do.

It'd be nice if it was a bit more polished (like have some arrows pointing at what it's talking about shooting).

I wonder if Stern will experiment further with a playfield screen for instruction prompts. Pinball has a huge accessibility issue with how complex the rules have become due to home collector needs and the overall skill level of enthusiasts.

#3089 1 year ago

I think it’s a mirror backglass and the reflection catches the light.

#3159 1 year ago

So how's the gnashing of teeth today? People still wanna complain about the product they weren't going to buy anyhow being expensive? Any new burns to call the people at Stern lazy or people being outraged on Keith's behalf?

#3160 1 year ago

There's something amusing about guys who have several new Sterns who want to complain about prices... Sell two recent Sterns and you can pay for this one. Seems straight forward enough!

Or just forget about this one because Stern will have a new game in March

#3162 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

don't forget being INSANELY outraged that Stern have taken the price of the website in some CIA plot to overthrow the TWIPY voting.

Oh looordy, Stern took down the price on an object they were sold out of! How does the company not collapse under its own hubris?

#3168 1 year ago

The way people are reacting to the layout, I really don't think they'd sell that many more even if they were 10k. I'd love one at 10k, but I know I'm in the small minority.

Most people just don't want single level games. They don't want brutally hard games that don't have a few shots safely returning the ball to their flipper. They want large complex rulesets even if they stink at pinball. And that is without getting into the uphill value perception battle, even though this is loaded in mechanical parts.

Demanding single level games is almost like asking for a return of original themes. It goes against what the majority of buyers are looking for in pins (licensed IP and cool looking ramp shots)

#3172 1 year ago
Quoted from kklank:

A. I can’t afford one. Grrrrrrr
B. I can afford one but I can’t justify the price. Grrrrrr
C. Stern are capitalist pigs. Grrrrrrr
D. Others that buy are stupid rich people. Grrrrrr
E. Rich people that buy one probably won’t even play their machine. Grrrrrr
F. I can’t believe Stern treats us loyal customers this way. Grrrrrrr
G. This isn’t fair. Grrrrrrr
H. If you bought one I’m going to belittle you and the choice you made. Grrrrrrr
I. I’m a loyal Elwin fan, He must be so mad Stern made him be part of this. Grrrrrr
J. Anyone who buys one of these overpriced machines are stupid or rich or both so I hate them. Grrrrrr
K. Stern only makes 500 at what price?? They should lower the price and make for the masses. This is wrong. Grrrrrr

L. OL

#3183 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

At 20k the one thing it is not is 'just pinball'.

then what is it...

#3185 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Love the attempt to justify the outrage over one pin being more expensive than other very expensive pins. Like it's somehow a right of the people to be able to afford every pinball machine and necessary for survival. There are plenty of other pins to choose from including Elwin pins for far cheaper.

What's amusing is I bet you can go through this thread, find people trashing this as a cash grab, and then find them shitting all over the very affordable Home pin series Stern was making for the last few years.

#3187 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I think I summed up my thoughts pretty well earlier.

ah yes, you think this product is somehow a slap in the face to the community...

it's just a pinball machine, albeit an expensive one

don't take it so personally

#3188 1 year ago

People who don't want this game to sell out remind me of people rooting for Avatar 2 to fail

You're on the loosing side. And also...why do you care? Buy it or don't, then move along

#3194 1 year ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Please show me a BOM in the last 3 years that not only required, but demanded the MSRP needed be 20 grand in order to make a profit on selling 500 niche pin products. When they could just as well sold 1000 at $12,500 and made a reasonable return on investments, no, they chose to milk 500 saps with this POS title that has less going for it than a TNA. This, if it wasn’t for the smashing success of other recent Stern titles feels desperate, with no real justification except screw you Bond fans, please place your scrotum here while we cut it off.

jesus christ dude, it's a pinball machine lol

#3195 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

This is such a short sighted viewpoint. I had a whole thing written up about why it is a slap in the face to the community, but decided you are right, it doesn't matter. Just like with the forbidden P word, if it doesn't impact people directly now, they don't care about what it means for the future.

What forbidden P word? You lost me

Also why is it a short sighted viewpoint? More people want pinball machines, there is a limited factory output, prices go up. This is the trend that has been clearly on display for the past decade. There are a lot of rich dudes who spend upwards of $40k a year on pinball machines. That's the modern market whether you want it to be or not.

And again, if you don't like this...wait till March and Stern will have a new set of "affordable" cornerstone pins

#3209 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I think no matter what you are into, price is always the main topic, and normal people do get angsty when the prices are blown out of the water.
Some of these people defending this were complaining about gas prices. Why don't they just ride a bike? No one is telling you to drive!

Is this technically a cargument?

#3212 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

way closer than i want it to be.

well when you wanna argue with Levi, you gotta speak his language

#3215 1 year ago
Quoted from calprog:

Just listened to Kanada’s 756 episode. He was right on with his thoughts on James Bond’s 60th Anniversary pinball machine and the pricing of pinball machines. I suggest you listen to it.

He's the same guy who for years was telling manufacturers to make super limited runs of games. And now it's happening and he's yelling "no, not like that"

Just like people who clamor for original themes and "innovation". You put it in front of them and they say "no, not like that"

#3223 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

This is like the classic scalper/flipper defense. “Just don’t buy it…” and insist you put your head in the sand about how the activity impacts the market as a whole.
There is more to it than individual purchased when you are talking about the market as a whole.

Please enlighten me

All I see is a barometer for how healthy the market is. Stern is able to sell 500 20k pinball machines as a special project, on top of doing their typical cornerstone releases with price bumps

Yeah pinball is outpacing inflation. The demand growth for pinball far exceeds production growth, so prices go up faster than inflation. Stern is going to keep raising prices and do high ticket small runs to keep growing as a company to make their vampiric private equity overlords happy.

You eventually accept that reality. Then it becomes amusing to watch grown men, who can afford a $100k+ collection of pins, hem and haw over how expensive some of the toys have gotten.

#3237 1 year ago

It seems silly to me to complain about this SLE when LEs were already not that limited as they make twice as many, and unlimited premiums (which sometimes have the exact same art package). Plus they don't trick them out either

The couple SLEs before this one got tricked out, but they had to do something to stand above the premium and LE model.

This is a unique game. It is the smallest production run for a game out of Stern in over a decade that is being sold through the normal distributor network (ie not contract pins like Supreme and Heavy Metal)

I do agree they should have tossed in the art blades though. The Beatles got art blades on all models

#3255 1 year ago

I believe the unique shot is the left lane, back left corner area. Which apparently George Gomez hasn't seen before (or maybe forgot), though a similar shot has been done before on some Gottliebs.

I wouldn't hold Gomez's feet to the fire for not being as big of a pinball nerd as some of us who can mentally picture every game from the big four since the solid state era. And as far as I'm concerned, no one has found that exact same shot yet. Just some similar things (which you can say about almost any shot)

#3263 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Again, the argument of “just don’t buy it” to an individual does not hold water. These sales are not happening in isolation. And you can bet there are lessons about price tolerance that will be applied back to cornerstones.
The notion of ‘dont buy it and you can just ignore it’ is naive.
The depressing part is all the people sho think just a 30% discount starts to make this attractive. That is people subconsciously thinking ‘if i get in at the right price… i can still do ok’ because they know they will sell eventually.
Wait for the next pin where they swap the drops for standups, remove the lcd, and replace the reels.

Sorry, but this is all sour grapes about how the pricing for pins is going up because the demand is growing at exponential levels.

No duh this will inform future decisions by Stern. As long as they have way more orders than they can fulfill the prices will continue to go up. You accept that reality and pony up, or move on to another company and deal with their own quirks.

Quoted from Utesichiban:

Demand outpacing production growth? Times, they are a changing. You are living in the past, man. You are thinking of 2020-22, man.

You guys can say the market is chilling off from fever red hot, but the demand is still incredibly high. People are still waiting months to get brand new Godzillas, even when decent deals exist on the secondary market

Gomez Bond LEs not instantly selling out says more about that particular game than the market overall.

#3268 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No - its a response to a dismissive deflection by you to other people.
Sales are not an island

You normally love to write longwinded responses in your arguments, and you haven't made a very compelling one yet. It makes me think you don't have a legitimate argument because deep down you know this is basic capitalism, so now it's an emotional response to not liking how the hobby is trending.

If you don't like expensive games, don't buy them. They'll stop making them if people actually stop buying them. And if people don't stop buying them, why be mad about it? The company is trying to cater to the market. And more importantly, if you don't like this game...Stern will have something new to sell you in a couple months and with different price points.

Deep down some people do like it when Stern raises the prices because it just made the other games in their collection more valuable...

#3282 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Your ideal assumes the market is real and pure. Hence what i said back at the start about scalpers and flippers.
Just because sales happen that doesn’t necessarily establish a true picture of the market. When the sales are skewed by non-consumers, speculation or pockets of buyers… sales are not representative of the true price tolerance of the market.
When discussing the state of the market you can’t just say ‘ignore it if you don’t like it’ as if it will somehow change if you close your eyes.
The best thing that could happen for a correction would be the collapse of resale value. Then we’d see what people are really willing to pay for the entertainment.
Speculation continues to haunt us and without much competition that will continue to be an issue.
Choices in the market dillute the demand focus that is happening now.

There is speculation on certain titles and it does go bust (see Ultraman). Rest of the market is fine in general though. No other games are losing a ton of value. At worst it's back to being inline to how it used to be where you'd lose around $500 for taking the game out of the box and playing it for a bit (though LEs seem mostly immune to this - if you hold onto to any of them they will eventually go up in value)

All the speculators and flippers did was drive themselves out of the market by basically forcing the companies to re-evaluate the market rate for their product. The causalities are the enthusiasts who could afford a 10k LE but now a 13k LE is a deal breaker for them.

#3285 1 year ago

Also let me be clear, the game is stupidly expensive, the art is meh at best, and they could do more things to add value to the game. But I'm also not mad about it. It's just a pinball machine.

All pinball machines are fun, some are more fun. All pinball machines are expensive, some are more expensive.

The hobby is booming and there are more places to buy a NIB game than there have been in decades. These are the best of times, but people are so mad for reasons...

#3293 1 year ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

I think the one thing people don't understand with frustration is that people want to afford pinball. "Don't like don't buy"..........but we do like. We do want to buy. If Sony releases Playstation 6 at $1,000 and just tells everyone "don't like the price, don't buy". This is for exclusive people only, that's a pretty low attitude. I don't think people should accept that idea. We all want more games to play.
It's a fun hobby and continually making it more exclusive, is not the way to go in my own opinion. Most designers of any product from Scrub Daddy to videogames, want to sell as many of that product they poured time into. I'd be pretty sad to spend a year or whatever time creating a game that so little people get to play.
If it's really true that the price was just slashed $3,000 that easily, then why not just set a fair price to start with. It's a tightly formed small community. Be fair with the money you ask from them.

Video games are a poor comparison because it's trivial to "make" more of them once you make the base product.

There is legitimate supply constraints in building a complicated widget. (And video game consoles are complicated, but also the whole business model is built on selling licensed video games for the console, so there is a huge incentive to sell as cheap as the market can bear)

And also it ignores the fact that Stern makes a variety of pins at a variety of prices

Find a pinball machine on location and they all cost the same to play. People are definitely going to put this game on location. Enthusiast will get their chance to paly.

#3304 1 year ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

Well my point for clarity: You have identical products, the past product and current product, but triple the price. I just don't believe it's good business to tell fellow pinball people fans "Oh well this is an out of reach exclusive game experience because you don't have enough money."

Well arcades around me have raised their prices, for lot's of reasons I'm sure, probably the main one being inflation. But if games go up crazy as well and you need to make your money back in quarters, then you raise how many quarters you ask. As the other guy said he would put it out in public, I doubt other people want to put $20k games in arcades.

I just don't think video games work as a comparison because of the lack of manufacturing involved once the product is finished. But yeah, it would be messed up if they did that. And without getting off on too much of a tangent, the video game industry very much deals with a lot of expensive and exclusionary addons in certain areas. Think about stuff like when Blizzard releases some random exclusive pet for WoW as part of a Blizzcon ticket. Or the increasing number of "pay to win" games

Anyhow I hope your arcade reconsiders their business model. Every arcade op I know knows the real money is made in the food/drink, not coin drop.

#3312 1 year ago

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if everyone could afford pinball.

I can't afford this game. I also don't get bent out of shape over it, don't act like Stern has slapped me in the face, and I don't act like they're dividing the community while they make games at a variety of price points and features. It's an expensive toy, more so than normal, and my life is no better or worse for its existence.

People clamored for super exclusive pins for years and they got it. ("But not like this" they yell back to unsympathetic ears)

I seriously doubt Stern does this unique-game-SLE idea again, not because of the backlash...but more so I think they wanted to do Bond and this was simply part of the arrangement with the licensor holder. (That's how the Jurassic Park Home pin came to be - the licensor wanted Stern to make that game in addition to the cornerstone)

#3335 1 year ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I wish Stern could have just sent this dude some art blades

send him his favorite Bond movie poster, a pair of scissors, and some Elmer's glue. It'll perfectly blend in with the cabinet art. Problem solved

#3336 1 year ago
Quoted from Straight2VHS:

Anyone feel $2 a game or $5 for 3 games is unreasonable for this machine if you happen to come across one? I am an operator that will be putting one at my location.

unreasonable because the ball times will be very short. No one would want to play it

$1/play no replays/match seems fair. If you go to 2 for one or 5 for 3, at least bump up the ball save. I'd say set it to 5 ball, but the score windows doesn't have inserts for "ball 4 and ball 5"

#3340 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

What I don’t get is that anyone is surprised by the reaction in this thread. Was always going to be this way.

wait, did someone think it wouldn't just be a thread of complaining about the price?

#3350 1 year ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Noticed in this vid the lower playfield lighting on the apron (5 lights per side) seems new/different for a Stern. Might be nice if they start using that apron lighting setup on all games.

I wonder if it's the same apron as Beatles IC has (which, good luck finding one of those)

#3353 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I’ve just read 3 pages of complaints about Pinsides reaction to this game.

I'm only surprised it's not 30 pages of complaints

#3374 1 year ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

And here I was thinking I helped them out buying a Family Guy NIB back in 2008 to help “save” pinball.

It's interesting people think of themselves, as customers, as "saving" pinball during the dark ages.

The people who saved pinball were the people who stuck around in the industry working long hours for not much pay... The people who actually helped keep the lights on are people like John Borg and Lonnie Ropp, who are regularly shat on by a lot of people here.

#3377 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

No company sells product without a consumer. And let's be real those years of Stern games were so so for the most part.

Yeah, but do you think you're "saving" a company when you buy their product...or are you just having a simple transaction where they sell you a product and that's that.

The Abess family saved JJP by buying the company. They get credit for saving that company, not the pinheads who were buying the game.

#3378 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Is that period when the current distro business model started, or was that going on before the downfall?

The distro business model has been the standard for basically the entire history of the industry.

If you mean home sales, it was well before the dark period

Jersey Jack himself was arguing for things like Monopoly Platinum Edition over twenty years ago.

#3386 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Sorry I was referring to Sterns you must buy ahead and if you skip one you are out model. It may have always been like that, just wasn't sure. I assumed during the dark period some remodeling of the business relationships must have happened.

When Gottlieb were top dogs in the industry from the 60s to late 70s, their entire attitude was "here is the game name, how many would you like"

It's why so many Gottlieb runs were in perfect round numbers...

#3393 1 year ago

The fact people keep saying it looks like a home pin shows how divorced the typical perception of a single level game is from its actual cost to build. At least some people recognize this as being more like a typical premium BOM. So mild progress since The Beatles and a lot of progress since TNA's first run.

That said, I would still love to see what Elwin could do with an actual Home pin bom.

#3400 1 year ago
Quoted from Grantman:

If you took away the scoring reels, armor and topper wouldn't this game resemble a home pin? A typical Pro model would have more than this game at that point, right?

Name a single recent pro with 3 sets of drop target banks

Seriously, what pro do you think has more than this game? You can cut out the scoring reels, armor, and topper if you want. Just go playfield mechs for playfield mechs.

#3407 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

WPT. Drop target Heaven. Ugly game but fun.

Yeah it is a fun drop target game. One of those games Stevie Ritchie made in response to "all your games are starting to look the same, do something different"

WPT is made

"no not like that"

#3409 1 year ago
Quoted from Grantman:

Beatles Gold, maybe. Not a Pro but close to that price.

The Bond Pro has one bank of drop targets, one optical spinner, several ramps and a full size LCD display. It also will have 10 songs and clips from 6 movies when done.

Yeah Beatles was a premium only title. In fact it was more expensive than other premiums at the time it came out. (Batman 66 was another premium only, no pro offering). And people flipped their shit saying why is this so expensive

Yeah Bond Pro will have a lot more code in the game. I don't dispute that that the software on that game will be much more feature rich than this game. But we were talking about playfields and why people think it looks like a home game.

#3416 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

ongoing project

breadcrumbs!

#3419 1 year ago

Noice

I gotta show you the current status of my build sometime. Almost ready for the third playfield (and hopefully last) revision

#3456 1 year ago

Come on Chuck, you know Deadpool pro has one set of 3. It’s the premium that has 3 banks

#3467 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You edited your post cheater! I swear it said stern. Not pro.

I promise I didn’t lol

It even says pro in your quote.

#3469 1 year ago

The only thing comparable to the 60th to the home line is that they are both relatively basic games ruleset wise (which are comparable to a lot, but not all, WPC games in terms of depth of software)

But also it’s a single level playfield. How long will the average player last? I can get to the normal wizard mode in Beatles on rare occasion. Never got to the super wizard in that though

Simple is good when the layout is fast and ball times are shot.

#3472 1 year ago

Cause fuck Elon Musk lol. Man sells cars “with self driving” that has killed multiple people because he lies about the abilities. He’s a bad person; Stern is just greedy. They don’t compare.

#3492 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Why do people only want to surround themselves in echo chambers? The whole point of this place is discussion. As far as I can tell no one is really trolling. Differing opinions and people explaining why they have them. It just so happens that the bulk of the discussion is not favorable of the situation.
There's no need to get personal or offended.

See comments like this

Quoted from Beechwood:

I'm sorry for your loss. (of $20,000.00)

#3508 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

I know, but it was funny in my head. My apologies.

I didn’t mean to call you out. You’re far from the only one to say things of that nature. It was just, let’s be real…some are trolling hard

Like some people are still adamant that this looks like a home game. Come on… at least be reasonable when your criticize this for being overpriced.

#3519 1 year ago

Yeah, and I agree it’s overpriced and the art is mediocre at best

We can all get along

Quoted from metallik:

Not criticizing on price, but it's absolutely not unreasonable to compare them. If you put the Bond 60th playfield next to the JP home playfield, it's hard to tell which is the home game. You're right about the cabinet being inferior, but I mostly look at playfields and they both look like fun street-level style games. No real difference.

Bro, I’m not taking this troll bait lol

#3532 1 year ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

i have never seen a homepin before and its impressive actually, and i feel you are right in thinking it offers the same or more than the SLE.

Yeah, until you realize the game has half as many coils in it.

All pinball games look like home games, because they’re all pinball machines.

#3540 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

Ahh, now we're to the coil counting stage...

That was pages ago, keep up lol

#3548 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

I think the Beatles also looks better. I do wonder, if you put this pic in front of non-pinheads and told them one of these games was 5K, one was 8K and one was 20K, which one they'd assign to each price?[quoted image]

They’d say they’re all stupid expensive and ask you to leave them alone.

#3557 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Probably not the place or time to ask, but was it mentioned when these were shipping?

Sometime in Jan by the sound of the production schedule

#3563 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

Why? Disagreements of opinion aren't reasons to lock. There hasn't been any moderation required. And yeah, there's not much else to talk about til we get more media or information on the 60th game.
It's like trying to get excited for Capcom releasing Breakshot.

I love Breakshot. Super fun game and a cool multiball lock toy.

#3571 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'd think about it if they just rethemed it back to Seawitch.

Fun fact more people should know about, Stern added an alternate ruleset to Beatles which is Seawitch rules. Disables the magnets and spinning disc. The SJP shot changes the background music

#3581 1 year ago

The price is whatever to me. I’m not buying it and value is subjective.

But I do think the one shitty thing about it is putting it up for sale without a few minutes of real gameplay.

All you really get is a sizzle real showing that the mechs work, which isn’t that interesting for a throw back style game.

I don’t need someone to explain to me how that is marketing material subject to licensor approval, the game is in mid development, it takes time to do this stuff, and blah blah blah.

It’s a shitty thing to do when you’re selling any game, especially when production is limited. (Kudos to companies like American Pinball and Jersey Jack for having real gameplay at launch or within the first few days for their last few games)

#3584 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I use my real name. I'm just very formal and demand respect.

I feel insulted and personally attacked when people don’t include the 69

#3598 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

So, on the score reels.
I was thinking they would have been better used as a topper. You'd need to hit certain shots to line up 0-0-7 and then you'd get a 7 ball multiball or something.
Oh, and I notice some of you guys like to work the name Pussy Galore into the conversation. And now you have my non-sequitur contribution.

They could probably do some display effects with the reels. Sounds like they have a slot machine like effect already (because who doesn’t love associating pinball with gambling and slots)

Each spinner could control a reel in a mode. Try to line them all up!

#3678 1 year ago

Idk why some of you are grilling for answers like you don't already have a pretty good idea of what it's like. And that's without getting how you aren't getting it

I'm not buying one either and I'm curious about the rules...but also it's a throwback game. You can figure out a lot of the rules by just looking at the artwork. It's not that complex of a game.

And how many different ways can people state it's expensive? We all know it. No one is arguing it. Yet that's all people want to talk about.

I'm still hyped for the game itself. It looks cool and I look forward to the handful of times I'll get to see one.

#3682 1 year ago

edit nevermind. I'm done

#3688 1 year ago

You're right, I can't quit you drama pinside!

I need the carguments, fly by personal attacks, and occasional jokes about lube

#3694 1 year ago

Also TGIF am I right?

This thread should get lit after 5pm on the weekend. Start composing long screeds about how you're personally offended that an expensive hobby is an expensive hobby.

The drunken slamming of keys is coming. Prepare your insults, retorts, and quips now.

#3710 1 year ago

New poll up for the thread

#3713 1 year ago
Quoted from pookycade:

You forgot “F*ck yeah” as one of the options.

Sorry, I tried to provide many ways for the community to express their opinion on the pricing. A lot of nuanced takes on the pricing to try to take into account.

#3721 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

There are a handful of pins I would pay $20k for. But Bond60 isn't one of them.

Oh really, which ones? Any particular reasons for some of those other games?

#3724 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Rarity. Here's a few off the top of my head with production count (as best as I can remember): BM66SLE(80), EHOHSLE(50), POTCCE (200), BBB (205), Matrix (13), King Kong (10), Krull (10), King Pin (9), Pinball Circus (2), Hypnox (1).

You know most of those sell for far more than 20k right?

Like how much would you have to pay Tim Arnold to pry that Pinball Circus out of him. North of a half mil?

#3781 1 year ago

Hopefully they kept they kept BOM within premium pricing, minus the reels, for a future game with a more affordable license

Although I'm not holding my breath of this getting reskinned

#3788 1 year ago

EMs and early SS used a leaf switch with a wire that would move up and down

then microswitches became standard, where an arm on the spinner would flick the switch

then there are opto spinners, some use an opto switch on both sides of the bracket and detect when the beam is broken. the new stern design seems to use a reflection of the spinner. some would use a small wheel that would open/close the opto beam

and there are also hall effect spinners. They have a small wheel on the spinner which a detector is looking at metal bits and measuring the magnetic field changes to detect switch hits

#3790 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

With a regular spinner the offset wire arm moves up and down, pressing a lever on a switch as it spins. So each spin = one lever push.
The opto spinners seem to have two different styles, the single emitter one I just mentioned above, and a more classic opto with an emitter and a receiver on the other side of the spinner bracket. I think Beatles uses that one if I'm remembering right.
Every time the spinner goes around it breaks the beam or is registered optically. Now technically that means each spin = two optic registrations, the top and bottom breaking on each spin, but you just account for that in software.
Edit: Looking at the Beatles opto I may be wrong, I don't see a receiver on the other side, but it's hard to tell from the angle. Never played one, so someone else would have to confirm. But it's the same theory either way, the spinner is being optically tracked as it passes in front of the emitter.
[quoted image]

there's an opto on both sides

#3792 1 year ago

also, if it wasn't obvious opto spinners spin a lot better because physically moving a little switch robs angular momentum. It doesn't sound like much, but they spin at least twice as long.

but they do require extra wiring. A normal switch vs having wiring for an opto transmitter and receiver

the nice thing about the new Stern opto spinner design is you get rid of the wire hanging out on the top of the spinner bracket

#3806 1 year ago

Cheapest license was probably Black Knight SOR

Also why do people bring up WPT? It’s a twenty year old game lol.

That’s the best anyone can do to name a recent Stern pro with multiple drop targets. Streeeetch

#3814 1 year ago
Quoted from Grantman:

How do you figure that? BOM doesn't include the licensing fees.

There are per unit fees, in addition to the blanket license agreement.

#3860 1 year ago

The shot up the left lane goes into the scoop in the middle

#3869 1 year ago

I don’t think you can forehand that saucer? Looks super tight. Backhand seems doable.

Follow the ball guide. The ball will hug it. It aims at the saucer

Also
25298920-C8C5-4378-B556-3B0CBEEBA302 (resized).jpeg25298920-C8C5-4378-B556-3B0CBEEBA302 (resized).jpeg

#3871 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Boots on the ground report the game is no longer in stern’s CES booth.
Wth?

Maybe carting around for stage shows. They often get on a random web show by CNET and similar.

That is the point of the show… doing press rounds.

#3873 1 year ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Ridiculous, because there's a reason there hasn't been more than 3 spinners in a game.. They are generally insignificant and just meant to be placed in a path of the ball for extra scoring... not to be a MAIN FEATURE.
How about we see 4 subways in a game or 4 custom toys.. Now THAT'S something to aspire to..
[quoted image]

Nonsense. We need a spinner in every shot in a 7 shot fan layout, a spinner in the outlane for a real kickback, and just a row of ten or so spinners you initially plunge through for shits and giggles.

Moar spinners

#3887 1 year ago

Honestly I’ve had an idea of putting 3 spinners in a row, but they are geared in a way to go up and down in a line. So you gotta time hitting it

Sorta like when you have to time plunging over 3 inserts lighting up, but with that sweet sweet kinetic satisfaction.

#3889 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

As you do.
Do game designers actually use these before moving to white woods? Would seem like an obvious thing to do.

Jack Danger does

Probably some others

#3893 1 year ago

Could stick a spinner in the back of the inline drops with an exit. Make you fight for the right to spinner rip

#3895 1 year ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

No, not like that. At all. He said make super limited games. He said charge a fortune for them. And he said Make. Them. EPIC.
Big f’ng difference from this cash grab.
So no, not like that.

Yeah well he has never made a product in his life. He’s a marketer.

The whole JPop concept is laughable, even if you had someone competent in charge. No one is spending a hundred thousand to buy those games, because you’d spend a million bucks just designing such an epic game.

#3910 1 year ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

In-line spinners. You heard it here first…

I’m sorry I can’t afford them fancy pants opto spinners.

DE93C47D-97D6-4481-81EE-2B94FA3E0B1D.gifDE93C47D-97D6-4481-81EE-2B94FA3E0B1D.gif
#3911 1 year ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Elwin, refusing to be outdone by the ridiculousness of a Rise-up "spinner" as a main feature, told the designers "hold my beer- I'm doing 4!!!".
The pinball designers gasped in amazement and disbelief that they hadn't thought of that first!!
"We are ushering in a new era of amazing creativity at Stern Pinball!!!"
And to top it all off---- $20K!!!! BWAAHAHAA!!
[quoted image]

Ah shit imagine if odd jobs hat lifted like in AIQ premium and it was a spinner

#3927 1 year ago

Again, what’s the mystery. Keith said it goes to the saucer.

D9B5DFC4-B792-4C92-AC12-37E02FD88810 (resized).jpegD9B5DFC4-B792-4C92-AC12-37E02FD88810 (resized).jpeg
#3929 1 year ago
9700BA50-D4F7-469A-ADF5-16182E3B3358 (resized).jpeg9700BA50-D4F7-469A-ADF5-16182E3B3358 (resized).jpeg
#4039 1 year ago
Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

I’m starting to regret my decision to create a pinside account, this place is toxic. Can’t say anything positive or be excited about a game without getting a slew of down votes and belittled to death. You people are a strange bunch.

The owner thread will be better. This is the thread for all positive and negative hype

#4058 1 year ago
Quoted from RGR:

Hmmm which whitewood was this for???

People kept sending me PMs that they wanted to see me make a three spinner design ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

Also, does Hardey ever do positive videos or is he just another one of those overly negative pinball people that seem to be everywhere.

He can be very positive when a company sends him a free product to review (love you Cary )

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Contact
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

14,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Old Saybrook, CT
420 posts in this topic match your search for posts by treybo69. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/james-bond-60th-edition-sle-super-limited-elwin-hype-thread?tu=treybo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.