007 Pins (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).jpg
IMG_2606 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2605 (resized).jpeg
FA6A1593-65DD-4DB2-A72B-EEC43DED1CAE (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
5BCC2926-0CA0-4F3E-8D6C-04700CEC815E (resized).jpeg
EECBEBD3-2CC7-4043-8947-928B0A53C62A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MikeS.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#274 1 year ago
Quoted from docquest:

I'm wondering if the Keith Elwin version will actually use all the assets fully. They are going for a retro style and the LCD is a mini one in the playfield. If the code is meant to be old school early solid state will it extensively use callouts and video clips from all the 25 bond films? That's a crap ton of villians, women, henchmen, and gadgets.
Lyman was the master coder and after a couple years of work the game fully used about 9 of the 26 films available to him for Elvira House of Horrors. Fully using 25 films with all the Bonds, villians, henchmen, women, vehicles, and gadgets will be a ton of work. Let's hope the new guy they got is up to the task.

My guess is that it will be very simplistic code and light use of assets, probably closer to TNA than even Beatles. It makes no sense for Stern to dedicate a full animation and coding team for close to a year for a game with only 500 units. I think its likely that KME's next game got pushed back a few months along with everything else at Stern and he had some extra time to dedicate to this design, and they found a programmer with some availability to help him out. I think it will be a simple yet fun design with shallow yet challenging code (like TNA).

I think it would be cool if it was just a single ball game since every other pin released in recent memory is so multi-ball heavy. It could be a true throwback to the early Solid State days and be more fun to play dollar games on (Or $100 games) based on the target demographic.

#277 1 year ago

If we're comparing single level games this game makes TNA seem like a good deal. There will only be 300 more TNA's than the exclusive Bond SLE when all is said and done. Will this game really be more fun than TNA? The music and co-op play on TNA is tough to beat and it has full playfield RGB lighting. Guessing this will be really fun to play too but Scott Danesi put so much of his heart and soul into TNA that it is hard for me to see Stern besting that on a "filler money grab" title like this even with the great Keith Elwin designing it. The cabinet pics certainly don't inspire confidence that they are putting the extra effort into this title.

1 week later
#622 1 year ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Absolutely not. If they did, no one would pony up huge dollars in the future for a rare layout / limited game. Big part of the appeal is a unique Elwin layout with 500 units only.

Quoted from blowback1976:

Supreme and Heavy Metal would like a word.

PBR Can Crusher and Primus would have another word.

1 month later
#1200 1 year ago
Quoted from beltking:

Not many people can pay over 20k for a pin.

Over 500 will though and Stern knows it. I'm sure there are over 500 collectors in this hobby that have dropped over $100k on pins in the past year. It's also a down year because of lack of new and exciting games so there is pent up demand for a hot new game. Anything under $20k is leaving money on the table for Stern.

#1209 1 year ago
Quoted from kklank:

No. Disagree. Completely disagree.
Dropped over a 100k on pins in the LAST YEAR?? I’m calling bullshit.
You work for Stern? Or a buddy of a distributor? Lol.

Maybe not 1 year but I know there's a ton of new collectors that came into the hobby since the pandemic and have already spent well over $100k on their collections which are mostly all LE and CE games. Pinside is only a small part of the overall pin market and there are plenty of people World-wide that have enough money where $25k is just a drop in the bucket financially. For many of these folks, pinball is their "cheap" hobby and the difference between spending $15k and $25k is negligible. If it's a cool and desirable game it will sell out regardless of price.

3 weeks later
#1506 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Then make 250 of them LEs for 15k. That adds another 1,250k

Those numbers don't add up either. Let's just say for argument's sake that Stern's cost to build one of these is $5K. If they sold 500 at $25K that would net $10 million profit. If they sold 250 at $15K that would net $2.5 million plus 1250 standards at $10K ($6.25 million), plus it ties up the line from making other games. Stern knows what they're doing. Like Levi says, If Pinside ran Stern they'd go tits up in a week It took Stern a long time to sell all 1964 Beatles games, I don't think they want to try pushing the market to try and sell that many of another single level game at an even higher price point. I think these 500 will sell out quick no matter what they set the price at.

#1524 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Sure but also at higher production runs, fixed costs like the license, software development, custom parts (ball guides and similar) would likely come down too
I’m just annoyed that this will be an interesting and unique layout out of Stern, but I won’t be able to afford it compared to the typical layouts that dominate most of their game portfolio.
Beatles really is my favorite Spike 2 game. It’s unlike any other modern Stern game and a great enhancement of a classic layout.

I'm annoyed too and wish they were building more of them at a less expensive price but it makes sense why they aren't in this case. If they did make a $10k version it would kill the sales of the regular Bond Premium game since everyone would want the Elwin version if given the choice. Maybe this run will test the waters for Elwin to do a future cornerstone single level game if the demand is there.

#2177 1 year ago

What do you think the chances are that we see this layout again on a future title? I could see them removing the playfield LCD and using it as the new template for custom pins like they did with Heavy Metal or Supreme. The rule-set/score reels seem like something that could be adapted fairly easily to a new theme. Ideally it would be cool to see an original theme done with Zombie Yeti art to make a throwback game to early solid solid states with great artwork. A modern day classic that more than 500 people world-wide would be able to own.

#2298 1 year ago

Anyone know if there is a gameplay video coming for this with Keith and Jack Danger?

#2444 1 year ago

Looks like there are 4 multiballs in the game according to the rulesheet. I don't think we'll see much for wizard modes or movie clips which makes sense based on the era this pin is based off of. Does this set the record for lowest scoring in a modern pin? Looks like the points top out at 60k?

Screenshot_20230103-165028_Photos (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230103-165028_Photos (resized).jpg
#3445 1 year ago
Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

I'm curious, I wasn't around at the time, but were people this angry when the Elvira 40th came out? Which, by the way was well over 20k. Which, also, by the way you could get the exact same game in a much cheaper version. Is that what is pissing people off the most is this game is not available is a cheaper version?

For me it's not that I'm pissed off but it's disappointing that the only pin my favorite designer will have released in a likely 2.5 year time period costs $20k which is way more than I can afford on a single pin. I would have been interested if they had a version of the game for under $8k. I felt the same way when Stern took Lyman off of their cornerstone games and only had him on their high end releases for the last 6 years that he was at Stern. I hope the same doesn't happen with Elwin and that we'll see him on a cornerstone game in early 2024. In the meantime maybe I'll pick up a Scooby Doo while I wait. At least they still seem to give you value for your money.

#3706 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Keith Elwin has made 4 all-time great pins in a row. No reason to think this game won’t be too far off from that.

Keith Elwin is a tremendous designer and has had great success in his games so far, but much of that success must be attributed to the other team members that assisted on those games. For the incredible mechs in games like Godzilla and JP we have Harrison Drake to thank for his engineering, Rick Naegele is to thank for the software and implementing the rules, Chuck Ernst and his animation team for the display/animation, etc. The team working on Bond 60th is different and no doubt talented, but I don't think you can compare this game directly to those first 4. I would guess that the number of hours invested (especially on the programming side) are much less than for a standard cornerstone release. I have no doubt that the layout will be fun to shoot and it will be a great single level pin, but if you're expecting code and rules to compare with his first 4 releases I think you'll be disappointed.

#4829 1 year ago

I'd question whether 500 units even qualifies as a "super" limited game. 500 units is more than a lot of other games' full runs. I think most of American Pinball's games like Oktoberfest and LOV are under 500 units, quite a few Spooky games under 500 as well, same goes for Haggis, Dutch, Pinball Brothers, etc. Even Stern games like WOF and CSI are 500 units or less. If you want a single level game with fun and addictive rules you can still pick up a TNA for $9K which seems like a bargain in comparison to Bond 60th. And it's only slightly less "rare" at around 700 units World-wide.

#5008 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

How often does the pinside mob mis the mark?
I got pinsided out of getting this game and am leaning towards getting one again thinking maybe this could be a awesome game in my line up.

I think that if you really like the Beatles game then you'll really love this. Rule-set looks to be on par with Beatles but the layout looks more fun to shoot. 4 opto spinners vs. 2, similar number of drops, spinning hat vs. spinning disc, etc. The artwork and trim package is far superior on Beatles but the Elwin layout should help carry this game and make it a fun addition to the lineup.

2 weeks later
#5792 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Just watched the game play promo on Stern and this game looks so fun for a average player like me. I was worried about the hat but see the hat is up towards the top. I was imagining it like in the middle of the playfield from the comments on here.
Do any other games have opto spinners? I wonder how long they spin look pretty BA on the PROMO "BUY ME" video.
I would like to try this opto spinner thing.

Beatles and Bond both have opto spinners

1 week later
#5943 1 year ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Any chance they would actually run less if dealers returned their inventory? As a buyer, I'd certainly prefer that!

I'm sure Stern ordered the parts for 500 games many months in advance so that they'd be ready to go on the line shortly after making them available for sale.

#6085 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Stern and the Distros are going to choke on the $13k/1,000 LEs.
Lower the price and maybe sell all 1,000 OR lower the quantity. End up with LESS $$$ either way

has there been any indication that this is happening on regular LE titles? I can't remember the last Stern LE that wasn't sold out instantly to distributors, even at 1000 units. Distributor interest lists for titles is far greater than their allocation in most cases, if you cut the total number of LE's down distributors won't be happy when they don't have games to sell on a hot title to their best customers who have ordered LE's from them in the past. I think in Bond's case the delay to get the games out might have hurt some distributors that didn't take non refundable deposits, but for the most part it seems like the games were all spoken for day one.

#6088 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

I don’t think it was all that long ago… probably TMNT. I definitely know jp didn’t sell out immediately. I bought mine (below msrp) NIB after playing it in the wild.

That seems about right as TMNT was released in May of 2020 which was the early days of Covid. Since then prices and demand has shot through the roof on titles. I think Stern will keep pushing $13k 1000 qty LE's until the market solidly rejects them. I think we are getting close to the price ceiling where this happens but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe 2023 is the year? It seems like dropping to only 2 cornerstone releases per year will keep that demand up as people are hungry for new games.

#6089 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

If you really think about it… the only games that were truly hard to get were
Godzilla LE
AIQ LE
GNR CE
CCr LE
R&M
And maybe Bind LE (but you can get one now easy enough)
Am i forgetting any?
Mando, Rush, and LZ LE’s were kinda tight but they could be found

Mando and Rush were selling for thousands over MSRP soon after release. They have come down since then. Zeppelin demand seemed cooler but I think it was still an instant sellout.

1 week later
#6470 1 year ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Yep, which is very similar to a STTNG or other games of that era.

The rules look more basic than most 90's games.

Villain MB - Just hit the spinners a bunch

Gadget MB - Keep shooting the disc a bunch

Bond MB - Shoot everything to build up a progress meter and get a jackpot

Wizard Mode - The MB is basically just shoot everything for "big points"

Simple rule-sets are fun and some of my favorite games are early SS games with simple rules. I expect this game to be fun but comparing the code depth to games like STTNG is doing those games a disservice.

BondMBrules (resized).pngBondMBrules (resized).png
#6685 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

First of all, congrats to all the guys getting this game. Mark, Pbaddicted, etc. Bond is a grail theme for me.
I tried to envision myself playing this game at home and wanting to hit the start button over and over. Couldn't get there for me.
Partly because watching Elwin play it versus a basic stiff are two different experiences
Also i'm loving my BondLE and playing it more than any other pin at the outset since TWD, despite lacking full code.
The licensor wanted a "retro" game with scoring reels. I guess they did what they could with a new reels concept. Seems disjointed to me. To imply that all Bond assets were in the game? Falls way short to me and a HUGE stretch.
Additional Bond music would have helped. Yeah i know, costs money.
Bottom line, i'm keeping my FOMO in check this time, I will enjoy my also "overpriced" Bond LE
I do reserve the right to get one of these down the line!

It's too bad this game was tied to a license. It would have been much better if they just named it Star Gazer II and kept everything retro along with a sexy art package. -Zombie Yeti could even do an art package similar to what he did for Magic Girl. The layout/gameplay on this game is a 10, the other elements of the game are mediocre at best. I would also ditch the playfield screen in favor of a small apron screen or ditch the mechanical reels altogether and just do a standard LCD in the back like Beatles.

#6716 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

This is backwards and a poor mindset - especially if you are assuming regardless of what the title is they are selling w/o issue.
It doesn't matter if they were making 500 or 10,000. The time needed to do all the engineering, sourcing, testing, design, etc is still there and still significant and unique. The time invested there, and the time spent getting it manufacturing ready is all overhead that has ALREADY BEEN DONE for other existing titles. There is no 'quick cash turnaround' - they still spent all that money and they have no problem getting cash for the alternate games they could have been producing.
Tying up manufacturing resources building this limited run game is only keeping those resources from building other games they can do with optimized margins because of economies of scale and re-use.
It's why their contract games are so expensive... low volume means high per unit overhead costs and opportunity cost vs building other stuff. Stern charges an extra 10k on this title, but the upside is fixed. The pricing is in part because of that 'hit' they expect to take producing a low volume product. Stern is able to do it because of their efficent switch-overs minimizes the manufacturing impact and they have the manpower scale to handle a 'side project' like this without stopping the rest of the ship.

I agree with you but in the past Stern was able to do this on a number of past titles for prices much lower than $20K. I think all of these were priced below $7K. Granted, some of the costs were shared with their lesser Pro counterparts so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

A few examples:
WWE LE limited to 400 units World-wide and no premium model. This game had unique code and extra wrestlers, additional wireform and flippers, spinning disc, new art package, etc.
Rolling Stones LE: Limited to 350 units World-wide. No premium. The game had magnets under the playfield, a powerball and sensors, controllable pop up posts. mirrored backglass, etc.
X-Men LE: 550 Units World-wide split between 2 versions. No Premium model. Game had nightcrawler pop up's, moving ramp, mirrored backglass, spinning magnetic disk, etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 0.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oxford, MI
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lake Point, UT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Contact
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MikeS.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/james-bond-60th-edition-sle-super-limited-elwin-hype-thread?tu=MikeS and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.