Untitled (resized).jpg
IMG_2606 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2605 (resized).jpeg
FA6A1593-65DD-4DB2-A72B-EEC43DED1CAE (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
5BCC2926-0CA0-4F3E-8D6C-04700CEC815E (resized).jpeg
EECBEBD3-2CC7-4043-8947-928B0A53C62A (resized).jpeg
40B9B43E-96AD-43CD-AF4B-64A8D40604C8 (resized).jpeg

There are 7,208 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 145.
#4401 1 year ago

worth some of you negative hoovers have a listen to this:

Regards,
Neil.

#4402 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

God Bless America. We are heading to AI censorship too.
Cause adults get triggered by typed words lol.
Playes Bond Pro again today. I feel this is the real winner of the bunch, but lets see what the Prem and LE bring.

Guy tells pinsider that UK forums censor curse words.

Pinsider responds “god bless America.”

#4403 1 year ago

I know you guys would rather stick red hot needles into your testicles than ever play a virtual pinball game, but for the 2 or 3 people that might be interested... I'm setting myself a fun little challenge: Based on only seeing a few photographs, can I build Stern's Bond60 in just 1 week, using a digital pinball editor?

I'll give it a shot (further updates will appear on my YouTube channel).

My version of the game will feature numerous modes of play; one of the highlights is the option to play each Bond on their own. So, Connery era, Moore era, Dalton era, Brosnan era and finally Craig era. Maybe I'll chuck in Lazenby as well... maybe.

The game also features ALL of the bond songs, with most locked at the start of the game - playing well will unlock them all. Each song offers unique perks and 'special assignments'.

I'm also adding a modern/retro switch - real-time switching between a modern era pinball game and a classic early SS pinball game.

The final and finished game will never be released, it's just a fun project for my own amusement.

#4404 1 year ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

Thanks mate, noted. Over on the UK pinballinfo forum swear words get starred out, for example over there Neil is often called a **** or a ******* ****.

Ah, I did not know that. Kinda crazy they do that.

#4405 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

I know you guys would rather stick red hot needles into your testicles than ever play a virtual pinball game, but for the 2 or 3 people that might be interested... I'm setting myself a fun little challenge: Based on only seeing a few photographs, can I build Stern's Bond60 in just 1 week, using a digital pinball editor?
I'll give it a shot (further updates will appear on my YouTube channel).
My version of the game will feature numerous modes of play; one of the highlights is the option to play each Bond on their own. So, Connery era, Moore era, Dalton era, Brosnan era and finally Craig era. Maybe I'll chuck in Lazenby as well... maybe.
The game also features ALL of the bond songs, with most locked at the start of the game - playing well will unlock them all. Each song offers unique perks and 'special assignments'.
I'm also adding a modern/retro switch - real-time switching between a modern era pinball game and a classic early SS pinball game.

The final and finished game will never be released, it's just a fun project for my own amusement.

Nice, love those independant firing pops

#4406 1 year ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Feels like the lcd screen was an after thought.

It was, it literally just shows logos and tells you what to shoot for. As if flashing targets aren't enough? Anyone who plays pinball knows shoot for flashing shots. No pinball noob is gonna buy this game so the screen is useless.

#4407 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Dude. Take the L. You are really trying to take the entire great state of Iowa down with you?

We are only 1 year behind, not two we need more credit than represented here……

#4408 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I wish they would! it would make the place a lot more boring than the funeral parlour it is with the most exciting post of the year being my only post for months!
Oh and on your other point, a fucking blind man with his cane can see what's happened to prices. Do you live in a cave or something?
Lumber prices...
[quoted image]
oh and 36.

Lol way to validate your argument with a 3 year old graph. Kinda like you and Halloween. You are just
pointing to old graphs and your own old experience to validate your invalid opinions. Clownshow for real.

#4409 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Guy tells pinsider that UK forums censor curse words.
Pinsider responds “god bless America.”

As in, we dont. Duh.

#4410 1 year ago
Quoted from aaron6920:

We are only 1 year behind, not two we need more credit than represented here……

The joke is usually 2 years, which is why i said it.

#4411 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

fucking blind man with his cane can see what's happened to prices. Do you live in a cave or something?
Lumber prices...

A308AAFB-5C62-495B-8F1F-80E9349ED998 (resized).pngA308AAFB-5C62-495B-8F1F-80E9349ED998 (resized).png
#4412 1 year ago

Doesn't really matter anyway, as even at its high point would have added no more than $150 or so to each machine. 30-50%in $tern MSRP increases are not all commodity price increases. Those other people don't understand economics 101.

It did make me chuckle how the original poster of the graph only went to the high point of 2020 though.

#4413 1 year ago

duplicate ppost

#4414 1 year ago

I thought they did that drawing live not prerecorded? Lame.

#4415 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Doesn't really matter anyway, as even at its high point would have added no more than $150 or so to each machine. 30-50%in $tern MSRP increases are not all commodity price increases. Those other people don't understand economics 101.
It did make me chuckle how the original poster of the graph only went to the high point of 2020 though.

...it's not like lumber grows on trees (or something like that

Kidding aside, the biggest constraint here for Stern is not supply chain, but manufacturing capacity. The could have 100x cabinets/coils/LEDs and still be manufacturing line limited (which is a remarkable achievement...they've been able to keep the line running at incredible throughput levels through all this global supply chain stuff).

When you're manufacturing capacity limited, makes sense on MBA paper that you take your most valuable asset (King Elwin) and make as much margin as possible with as little impact to the manufacturing line as possible (SLE run is a couple week distraction?). In the meantime, you jack prices on the 12-24 months backlog of orders you have (much bigger $$ grab than the SLE stuff) and build out a new factory so you can better keep up with demand.

Net net: expect more extraordinarily high margin, low volume things from Stern as they work through their backlog and build additional manufacturing capacity. As they catch up, they will get volume focused again, but volume demand is not their problem right now.

#4416 1 year ago
Quoted from ray-dude:

...it's not like lumber grows on trees (or something like that
Kidding aside, the biggest constraint here for Stern is not supply chain, but manufacturing capacity. The could have 100x cabinets/coils/LEDs and still be manufacturing line limited (which is a remarkable achievement...they've been able to keep the line running at incredible throughput levels through all this global supply chain stuff).
When you're manufacturing capacity limited, makes sense on MBA paper that you take your most valuable asset (King Elwin) and make as much margin as possible with as little impact to the manufacturing line as possible (SLE run is a couple week distraction?). In the meantime, you jack prices on the 12-24 months backlog of orders you have (much bigger $$ grab than the SLE stuff) and build out a new factory so you can better keep up with demand.
Net net: expect more extraordinarily high margin, low volume things from Stern as they work through their backlog and build additional manufacturing capacity. As they catch up, they will get volume focused again, but volume demand is not their problem right now.

Customer retention. That’ll be an issue soon enough.

#4418 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

I know you guys would rather stick red hot needles into your testicles than ever play a virtual pinball game

Put me down for both

#4419 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

As in, we dont. Duh.

Sometimes I think some of y'all have never spent any time in other countries but here's a pro tip, we don't have a monopoly on freedom. In any case yes, there are forums stateside like tech forums that will sensor swear words, it's typically a setting that can be set in the forum software server side.

#4420 1 year ago
Quoted from ray-dude:

expect more extraordinarily high margin, low volume things from Stern as they work through their backlog and build additional manufacturing capacity.

High margin low volume is how I operate. My Tron toppers are mostly labor, material cost is relatively low compared to my price. If I priced them lower I would sell more, but I wouldn’t be able to keep up with production.

It’s a craftsman kind of model, where you end up with things that are genuinely rare, not artificially, because of limited capacity. The higher price limits orders as a feature.

Stern could build 5000 of these SLEs easy. People know it, and I think it makes them balk at them using the small shop model. It feels disingenuous. Fair or not.

#4421 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

Totally agree. This is a golden opportunity for the other pinball companies to gain significant market share.

#4422 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

I know you guys would rather stick red hot needles into your testicles than ever play a virtual pinball game

This is really really cool, can't wait to see how it progresses. And as an owner of a virtual pinball machine I will chose that over hot needles in my scrotum.

#4423 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Stern could build 5000 of these SLEs easy. People know it, and I think it makes them balk at them using the small shop model. It feels disingenuous. Fair or not.

Completely agree. I would use the work exploitive. On a spreadsheet it makes sense, but very short sighted. Makes complete sense of a spreadsheet, but short sighted given the market they sell into (repeat business and loyalty focused, not one off)

That being said, the company has recovered from customer goodwill stumbles before (of course, they were almost going out of business with a very small dedicated customer base...lot more passionate customers to poke in the eye these days).

#4424 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Well $***!
I didn't win the raffle

When was it? I bought a ticket and didn't get any notification it was being drawn.

#4425 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

When was it? I bought a ticket and didn't get any notification it was being drawn.

It was a pre-recorded video this time never saw a live drawing like they usually do just posted the 5 min video at 8pm.

#4426 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

8pm

#4427 1 year ago

#4428 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Perhaps the licensor requested the product be limited?

Maybe, but who cares really.

Stern picked the license. Nobody actually cares whose fault things are. If you can’t stack modes and it makes the game play worse you can say “it’s the licensor’s fault” but it won’t make the game you bought from Stern play better.

They’re an experienced company, when they pick a license with handcuffs it’s on them for not passing on it.

#4429 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Here’s a limited edition 60th anniversary Backgammon set being sold for $6500 on the official bond site: https://007store.com/en-us/products/james-bond-007-dr-no-dots-backgammon-set-numbered-edition-by-geoffrey-parker
I bet backgammon players around the world are crying in their soup.
The fact is: this game wasn’t made for the average pinball buyer. It’s built for the hardcore bond collector. Of course pinheads may buy too, but if you want a bond-themed game there’s 3 other options

Not Fact. Opinion.

#4430 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

The fact is: this game wasn’t made for the average pinball buyer. It’s built for the hardcore bond collector. Of course pinheads may buy too, but if you want a bond-themed game there’s 3 other options

Then it should have been a home model reskin like Heavy Metal destined to never see the light of day.

To use the hottest designer who has had hit after hit for this is just a waste. Yet all is not lost. I do have faith in Stern reskinning the design at a much more obtainable price point in the future.

#4431 1 year ago

Why isn’t Barry Nelson in the pin? I mean he was the first actor to play Bond in a movie. I was thinking of getting one, but I’m out on his exclusion.

#4432 1 year ago

Yes indeed and it takes a while to filter through because most of the lumber stern bought was probably months ago. Just as they didn’t ram the price up instantly when they moved up.

#4433 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

It’s where it went to when I googled! But point taken. Silicon prices and electronics are all still way higher than they where’re. Aluminium is still 700 bucks per ton more than it was…

#4434 1 year ago

don't think many of the 60th will be purchased in Australia at $31.5k + freight to your door

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 9.17.10 pm (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-01-09 at 9.17.10 pm (resized).png
#4435 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Not really the factory has a backlog longer than this thread. I actually was skeptical about that until I visited the factory in October and saw how flat out it was and the scale of the extra space all the extra parts that Stern had put in since my last visit a couple of years ago The factory was rammed.

If this was about greed Stern should stop all production except for Godzilla because the demand for that game is super strong and it’s priced higher than most.

#4436 1 year ago
Quoted from underlord:

Maybe if the other manufacturer start making great games in much more serious volume - not pinside volume but actual market volume. I see only one company other than Stern putting out great games consistently albeit with limited manufacturing and that is CGC.

#4437 1 year ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

It was a pre-recorded video this time never saw a live drawing like they usually do just posted the 5 min video at 8pm.

It seemed strange to me.

#4438 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Here’s a limited edition 60th anniversary Backgammon set being sold for $6500 on the official bond site: https://007store.com/en-us/products/james-bond-007-dr-no-dots-backgammon-set-numbered-edition-by-geoffrey-parker
I bet backgammon players around the world are crying in their soup.

I wonder if they use wood in the backgammon set?

#4439 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

don't think many of the 60th will be purchased in Australia at $31.5k + freight to your door
[quoted image]

Wow that conversion rate is a tough one, that is absolutely ridiculous

#4440 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

[quoted image]

Even with exchange rate, $31,5k is an insanely high price for not much more than a pro or even Stern homepin? Again looking at a comparison posted earlier…
9EA4FCE1-DEAC-45BB-BB2A-5EE1639C88E1 (resized).jpeg9EA4FCE1-DEAC-45BB-BB2A-5EE1639C88E1 (resized).jpeg

#4441 1 year ago

We've already done this...

#4442 1 year ago

Did you guys know that at a glance, a pinball machine looks like other pinball machines?

#4443 1 year ago

Also it’s amusing some people want to decry how expensive the hobby is getting by showing off the value in a sub 5k pin

#4444 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I think JJP were first to go nuts on pricing putting the price of GNR up for no reason at all, then Spooky also recently.
I'd say the number of pinball buyers has made it all about the price... its supply and demand. Economics 101. Also hasn't helped that the price of materials that stern use have all more than doubled in the last couple of years, Stern having to jack the price up between Mando and GZ because of material costs.
Neil.

So... when jjp increased the price of GNR it was for " no reason at all " but when Stern does it , it's because their prices of materials have more than doubled .

IMG_20200427_232017 (resized).jpgIMG_20200427_232017 (resized).jpg
#4445 1 year ago

This entire experiment is about knowing your audience.

The marketing is horrible. It’s about knowing what type of company you are. Is it about maximizing profit or creating a brand that will be profitable because of an advocate network you can count on.

We are seeing a shift in leadership from a passion of pinball first to a passion for profit first.

Next we will lose support for older systems from spike 1 and before as well as have to pay for warranty items when the dates have passed.

Currently, Stern support is fantastic. In a profit only model, that will decline.

I think we are all worried as we are at the crossroads on what Stern is going to become.

My prediction is higher prices, less support, profit model with paid DLC. Why not?

The only question they should have is how do we keep our loyal pinheads in the process. This is where marketing has failed.

#4446 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Also it’s amusing some people want to decry how expensive the hobby is getting by showing off the value in a sub 5k pin

It’s more like pointing out the lack of value in a +$20k offering versus what less than $5k will buy. My niece in Lubbock Texas purchased their first pinball machine, Jurassic Park Homepin pictured in the comparison for $4,5k and loves it. She and her hubby thinks there is great value there and can’t understand why anyone in their right mind would pay $20k for less.

#4447 1 year ago

I’m not saying it’s worth 20k. It’s the bom of a premium, maybe a little extra, with all the speculative value baked in

If you think it has “less” than the home, then you don’t want to honestly discuss the differences, like the quality of construction and the features.

#4448 1 year ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

is an insanely high price for not much more than a pro or even Stern homepin? Again looking at a comparison posted earlier…
[quoted image]

Come on man. I can see the argument that it’s got xyz number of parts so it should cost what the home pin costs. That’s the same argument that a Rolex Submariner should be priced like a Casio Duro.

Think more Supreme pin as a comparison to Bond SLE.

If this was unlimited number, I think it would sell for around what a new TNA sells for ($9k).

#4449 1 year ago

#4450 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I had a chance to meet the new CEO this past weekend and had a great 30 min chat with him. I’m going to leave the conversation private… but will say: he’s a super nice guy and not some robotic, greedy suit. You’re off base with your assumptions.
And, no, I’m not going to waste time arguing with you… nor do I feel a need to convince you otherwise.

Wow. A CEO made someone he spoke to at a trade event feel like he cared for the brand and it’s customers? Cool!

CEO’s say whatever it takes to whoever it takes to get what they want or impart the message they want to deliver. That’s their job.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
14,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Parker, CO
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy
Other
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ChainsawMods
Shooter rods
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Life
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
14,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Old Saybrook, CT
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Lermods
Decals
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop
Men
$ 99,999.99
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods
Other
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lake Point, UT
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects
Sound/Speakers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,208 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 145.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/james-bond-60th-edition-sle-super-limited-elwin-hype-thread/page/89?hl=ray-dude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.