007 Pins (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).jpg
IMG_2606 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2605 (resized).jpeg
FA6A1593-65DD-4DB2-A72B-EEC43DED1CAE (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
5BCC2926-0CA0-4F3E-8D6C-04700CEC815E (resized).jpeg
EECBEBD3-2CC7-4043-8947-928B0A53C62A (resized).jpeg
There are 7,210 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 145.
#3151 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

But only recently was it discovered that the largest dopamine spike in the brain occurs in anticipation of the reward, not while experiencing the reward. This is really important because that is exactly when cravings are active.'

This may explain why my homebrew is taking so long…

#3152 1 year ago

Congratulations on overpaying!

#3153 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Stern and other companies don't show video for good reason.
It's clever as it maximises the dopamine rush that comes with FOMO and anticipating rewards.
'Cravings are the most underrated component of the habit loop because they have only recently been better understood. The strength and influence of cravings can best be demonstrated with a quick explanation of neurobiology. Dopamine is the primary neurotransmitter in our reward experiencing pathway, and it was designed evolutionarily to encourage positive behaviors that help in survival. Makes sense. But only recently was it discovered that the largest dopamine spike in the brain occurs in anticipation of the reward, not while experiencing the reward. This is really important because that is exactly when cravings are active.'

that's the problem with the brain, we know almost zero about it beyond the chemical and physical make up. The pathways one crates to avoid being tempted by cravings are the crucial item here Simon

#3154 1 year ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Congratulations on overpaying!

how do you know what she paid?

#3155 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

how do you know what she paid?

too much is my guess

#3156 1 year ago

Let people blow grifted/taxpayer money however they want

#3157 1 year ago

How does one milk a whale?

Very carefully.

#3158 1 year ago

That's not milk

#3159 1 year ago

So how's the gnashing of teeth today? People still wanna complain about the product they weren't going to buy anyhow being expensive? Any new burns to call the people at Stern lazy or people being outraged on Keith's behalf?

#3160 1 year ago

There's something amusing about guys who have several new Sterns who want to complain about prices... Sell two recent Sterns and you can pay for this one. Seems straight forward enough!

Or just forget about this one because Stern will have a new game in March

#3161 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

So how's the gnashing of teeth today? People still wanna complain about the product they weren't going to buy anyhow being expensive? Any new burns to call the people at Stern lazy or people being outraged on Keith's behalf?

don't forget being INSANELY outraged that Stern have taken the price of the website in some CIA plot to overthrow the TWIPY voting.

#3162 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

don't forget being INSANELY outraged that Stern have taken the price of the website in some CIA plot to overthrow the TWIPY voting.

Oh looordy, Stern took down the price on an object they were sold out of! How does the company not collapse under its own hubris?

#3163 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I’d love to see the layout re-used in a non-ridiculous price range; but hopefully the reels go away (and the PF LCD, too) and instead use a standard LCD — if that ever happens.

Contrarily, I hope they adopt the reels in every future game and get rid of the LCD!

#3164 1 year ago

The most enjoyable thing about this thread is evaluating whether it really should be "Stern has" or "Stern have"

#3165 1 year ago

One of the things I do not care for is the LCD screen located on playfield. Not sure this is a good direction for future titles. For me it is somewhat of a distraction. I do not care for mini LCD TV's anywhere on PF's.

#3166 1 year ago

All the outrage, all the name calling, really? Look, if you want it, buy it, it is a subjective decision. If you don't want to buy it, don't. And (Whispers) if someone buys it, it won't hurt you, it won't affect you....okay? Jeeze, I love the passion in this community but please, those of us with collections, it's kind of a first world problem, ya think? 10k or more a pop if you tend to NIB. Shout rip off all you want. (Newt in Aliens....."It won't make any difference.")

#3167 1 year ago
Quoted from Wilmmr:

If you don't want to buy it, don't.

I don't think you understand the whole picture here. Why are people up in arms about this? Well because most people are average Joe's who just love pinball and want to be able to afford/flip a new title release just like everyone else. What does this boutique bs do to our hobby-it makes us argue until we are blue in the face-not good. Stern decides to take their #1 designer and make a limited high end pin that is out of touch with most loyal pinheads? I do believe Stern could make the same profit margins by producing more at a lower more reasonable price. I do not agree with it but have grown to accept-it is what it is. I think EVERYONE should be able to own this machine if they so choose. I am a big supporter to make limited games unlimited for the duration of license agreement-enough with the artificial scarcity scheme.

#3168 1 year ago

The way people are reacting to the layout, I really don't think they'd sell that many more even if they were 10k. I'd love one at 10k, but I know I'm in the small minority.

Most people just don't want single level games. They don't want brutally hard games that don't have a few shots safely returning the ball to their flipper. They want large complex rulesets even if they stink at pinball. And that is without getting into the uphill value perception battle, even though this is loaded in mechanical parts.

Demanding single level games is almost like asking for a return of original themes. It goes against what the majority of buyers are looking for in pins (licensed IP and cool looking ramp shots)

#3169 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

The most enjoyable thing about this thread is evaluating whether it really should be "Stern has" or "Stern have"

Well if Stern is reading this can they send me the stuff they said they were going to months ago.

5B75C9C7-B5FC-4DE7-A7B5-C89017832BB4 (resized).jpeg5B75C9C7-B5FC-4DE7-A7B5-C89017832BB4 (resized).jpeg
#3170 1 year ago

I think I understand the situation, capitalist system, make product to a certain market (home collectors) charge what the market will bear or hope you hit, sometimes you don't (The Beatles). Some people have Porsche 911's, they make about 18,000 a year for the entire world. I don't start shouting at Porsche because average people can't afford one. So Stern is evil because they use their most desired designer for some guy to have in his basement to look at and say see what I have? If that was wrong, they wouldn't sell the aforementioned 911's, Ferrari's or Rolex's for that matter. Why isn't it a good thing? The manufacturer makes money, continues to make the Pro's and more affordable stuff, you can think SUCKER or whatever, FINE. I'm just saying folks, when it gets to insults and name calling, I think it gets a tad ridiculous. That's all I am not trying to start an argument with anyone, Namaste.

#3171 1 year ago

A. I can’t afford one. Grrrrrrr
B. I can afford one but I can’t justify the price. Grrrrrr
C. Stern are capitalist pigs. Grrrrrrr
D. Others that buy are stupid rich people. Grrrrrr
E. Rich people that buy one probably won’t even play their machine. Grrrrrr
F. I can’t believe Stern treats us loyal customers this way. Grrrrrrr
G. This isn’t fair. Grrrrrrr
H. If you bought one I’m going to belittle you and the choice you made. Grrrrrrr
I. I’m a loyal Elwin fan, He must be so mad Stern made him be part of this. Grrrrrr
J. Anyone who buys one of these overpriced machines are stupid or rich or both so I hate them. Grrrrrr
K. Stern only makes 500 at what price?? They should lower the price and make for the masses. This is wrong. Grrrrrr

It’s just pinball.

#3172 1 year ago
Quoted from kklank:

A. I can’t afford one. Grrrrrrr
B. I can afford one but I can’t justify the price. Grrrrrr
C. Stern are capitalist pigs. Grrrrrrr
D. Others that buy are stupid rich people. Grrrrrr
E. Rich people that buy one probably won’t even play their machine. Grrrrrr
F. I can’t believe Stern treats us loyal customers this way. Grrrrrrr
G. This isn’t fair. Grrrrrrr
H. If you bought one I’m going to belittle you and the choice you made. Grrrrrrr
I. I’m a loyal Elwin fan, He must be so mad Stern made him be part of this. Grrrrrr
J. Anyone who buys one of these overpriced machines are stupid or rich or both so I hate them. Grrrrrr
K. Stern only makes 500 at what price?? They should lower the price and make for the masses. This is wrong. Grrrrrr

L. OL

#3173 1 year ago

I can afford one but I can’t justify the price. Grrrr.

#3174 1 year ago

I really can’t afford one… but was too stupid and caught up in the moment to be able to control my instincts. Grrrr.

#3175 1 year ago
Quoted from skink91:I really can’t afford one… but was too stupid and caught up in the moment to be able to control my instincts. Grrrr.

I can afford 2 and then finance one if I were to so choose.

#3176 1 year ago

You only live once... grrrrr

#3177 1 year ago
Quoted from kklank:

It’s just pinball.

At 20k the one thing it is not is 'just pinball'.

#3178 1 year ago
Quoted from Wilmmr:

I think I understand the situation, capitalist system, make product to a certain market (home collectors) charge what the market will bear or hope you hit, sometimes you don't (The Beatles). Some people have Porsche 911's, they make about 18,000 a year for the entire world. I don't start shouting at Porsche because average people can't afford one. So Stern is evil because they use their most desired designer for some guy to have in his basement to look at and say see what I have? If that was wrong, they wouldn't sell the aforementioned 911's, Ferrari's or Rolex's for that matter. Why isn't it a good thing? The manufacturer makes money, continues to make the Pro's and more affordable stuff, you can think SUCKER or whatever, FINE. I'm just saying folks, when it gets to insults and name calling, I think it gets a tad ridiculous. That's all I am not trying to start an argument with anyone, Namaste.

I truly hope you have more luck than I have trying to make this point.

#3179 1 year ago

I played pinball and enjoyed it ( possibly) better when I had to scrounge quarters. ZERO chance I had funds to buy one, regardless of whatever they sold for back then...

Not grrr......reality. Some of these posts are absolutely laughable.

The world in general is an angrier place now, so it does make sense however.....

#3180 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I don't think you understand the whole picture here. Why are people up in arms about this? Well because most people are average Joe's who just love pinball and want to be able to afford/flip a new title release just like everyone else. What does this boutique bs do to our hobby-it makes us argue until we are blue in the face-not good. Stern decides to take their #1 designer and make a limited high end pin that is out of touch with most loyal pinheads? I do believe Stern could make the same profit margins by producing more at a lower more reasonable price. I do not agree with it but have grown to accept-it is what it is. I think EVERYONE should be able to own this machine if they so choose. I am a big supporter to make limited games unlimited for the duration of license agreement-enough with the artificial scarcity scheme.

Love the attempt to justify the outrage over one pin being more expensive than other very expensive pins. Like it's somehow a right of the people to be able to afford every pinball machine and necessary for survival. There are plenty of other pins to choose from including Elwin pins for far cheaper.

#3181 1 year ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I’ll stick to my $1000 F14 Tomcats and $300 Stars.

I’ve been going Gottlieb wedge head crazy… for 5 to 12 Benjamin Franklins (or actually 60 Andrew Jackson’s last Monday) on the glass, you get a lot of fun and tons of titles to choose from… not to mention with us old fucks dying off daily, these things are coming out of the estate sale woodwork… and most owners of these machines are NOT pinheads but grieving family members getting rid of Grandads old shit stuck in the basement, so prices range from museum pieces at $500 to basket cases at a grand, and everything in between. Never thought I could find some of these machines, but you only need wait a few months and something turns up. Look at what I have accumulated in wedge head titles for an average cost of $1100 bucks each, and you get some really classic Gottlieb flatwoods, iconic pinball art, bells, chimes… that wonderful sound we loved before they started “talking to us” and telling us how “precious” they were, and commanding 20 how many fucking grand a piece?

#3182 1 year ago

The license doesn't appeal to me at all but if it did and I were in love with the design/layout I'd finance it or sell a game or two to make it happen. If you don't like it, don't buy it...isn't it that simple?

#3183 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

At 20k the one thing it is not is 'just pinball'.

then what is it...

#3184 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

then what is it...

I think I summed up my thoughts pretty well earlier.

#3185 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Love the attempt to justify the outrage over one pin being more expensive than other very expensive pins. Like it's somehow a right of the people to be able to afford every pinball machine and necessary for survival. There are plenty of other pins to choose from including Elwin pins for far cheaper.

What's amusing is I bet you can go through this thread, find people trashing this as a cash grab, and then find them shitting all over the very affordable Home pin series Stern was making for the last few years.

#3186 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

The turnaround is indeed amazing, but now we've reached the opposite end which is...we are not spoiled. We are being fleeced. Addictions are real. The saving grace is indeed that for the most part resell may go up or at least stay nearly the same for awhile longer yet. I just don't see the mindset of supporting such obvious thumb biting toward the majority of customers. to get a few quick bucks. I'm sure somewhere someone said, 'this will be awesome for our customers', but when you then stick a nonsense price on it, you know it had nothing to do with customers and everything to do with get as much money as quickly as you can for doing as little as you can.
This isn't a 'thanks for sticking with us and making us successful' this is a 'these guys are suckers and will buy anything' move. At least, that's how it comes off. I'm sure it will be a fun game, most games are for at least an hour or so, but is it 20k fun? That's really the question I think most people are struggling with. That's where the negativity is. It is less about 'this' game, and more about what it says about the future.
Additionally, if the price increases for people waiting for pre-orders to ship stands, everyone should be cancelling them. Why support that nonsense? That is some real finger to the face bs.

I agree with most of your points except that it doesn’t have to be “20K fun” unless the value goes to zero. As many have said for a while, the pin manufacturer pricing model continues to work as long as the used values continue to stay up.

#3187 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I think I summed up my thoughts pretty well earlier.

ah yes, you think this product is somehow a slap in the face to the community...

it's just a pinball machine, albeit an expensive one

don't take it so personally

#3188 1 year ago

People who don't want this game to sell out remind me of people rooting for Avatar 2 to fail

You're on the loosing side. And also...why do you care? Buy it or don't, then move along

#3189 1 year ago

Try your luck, help the kids, Project Pinball has the James Bond 60th Anniversary SLE up for their raffle with entries starting to be accepted tomorrow.

https://projectpinball.rallyup.com/jamesbond-007-60th-anniversary-limited-edition-pinballmachineraffle/Campaign/Details

#3190 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

And also...why do you care? Buy it or don't, then move along

This is such a short sighted viewpoint. I had a whole thing written up about why it is a slap in the face to the community, but decided you are right, it doesn't matter. Just like with the forbidden P word, if it doesn't impact people directly now, they don't care about what it means for the future.

#3191 1 year ago
Quoted from Torqz:

Try your luck, help the kids, Project Pinball has the James Bond 60th Anniversary SLE up for their raffle with entries starting to be accepted tomorrow.
https://projectpinball.rallyup.com/jamesbond-007-60th-anniversary-limited-edition-pinballmachineraffle/Campaign/Details

Stern has really jumped the shark when the charity auction raffle tickets make you think twice on price.

In all seriousness, great cause that places Pinball machines in children's hospitals.

#3192 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

it's just a pinball machine, albeit an expensive one

Please show me a BOM in the last 3 years that not only required, but demanded the MSRP needed be 20 grand in order to make a profit on selling 500 niche pin products. When they could just as well sold 1000 at $12,500 and made a reasonable return on investments, no, they chose to milk 500 saps with this POS title that has less going for it than a TNA. This, if it wasn’t for the smashing success of other recent Stern titles feels desperate, with no real justification except screw you Bond fans, please place your scrotum here while we cut it off.

#3193 1 year ago

Hey do I think the price is crazy overpriced. Yep ! But so are lots of toys that are being sold these days. I just won’t buy it and I am sure Stern will find 500 people that don’t care about price and purchase one. Good for them

I will continue to enjoy pinball and purchase machines that are in my price point. Eventually Stern will price me out of the market and instead of buying a pin for 10K I will put a dollar or two in a machine and play the games on location

I love Pinball and will always play regardless if I have the machine is at home or on location

Stern will also continue to raise prices and do what’s best for thier business and they don’t care what I think

#3194 1 year ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Please show me a BOM in the last 3 years that not only required, but demanded the MSRP needed be 20 grand in order to make a profit on selling 500 niche pin products. When they could just as well sold 1000 at $12,500 and made a reasonable return on investments, no, they chose to milk 500 saps with this POS title that has less going for it than a TNA. This, if it wasn’t for the smashing success of other recent Stern titles feels desperate, with no real justification except screw you Bond fans, please place your scrotum here while we cut it off.

jesus christ dude, it's a pinball machine lol

#3195 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

This is such a short sighted viewpoint. I had a whole thing written up about why it is a slap in the face to the community, but decided you are right, it doesn't matter. Just like with the forbidden P word, if it doesn't impact people directly now, they don't care about what it means for the future.

What forbidden P word? You lost me

Also why is it a short sighted viewpoint? More people want pinball machines, there is a limited factory output, prices go up. This is the trend that has been clearly on display for the past decade. There are a lot of rich dudes who spend upwards of $40k a year on pinball machines. That's the modern market whether you want it to be or not.

And again, if you don't like this...wait till March and Stern will have a new set of "affordable" cornerstone pins

#3196 1 year ago

Why is the majority of the discussion about pricing ? Because it’s one of the most expensive pins ever. Full stop.

Why are people up in arms about this pricing ? Because the rise in pricing has far outpaced inflation. Because each new set point raises the price of everything else in the market (well … except EMs).

I agree this belongs more in its own “Pricing … what’s up with that ?” threads. Nevertheless it sits here because this is the alpha male of pricing.

And what can we do about it ? Stop buying pins at inflated prices. That’s the only vote you personally get. Everything else is hot air.

What will I be doing ? Not buying pins at inflated prices except for what I personally feel are have to haves. Godzilla yes Alien yes Toy Story no James Bond no. EMs yes. No absolutes here, but for sure decreased purchases relative to changes in my perception of price to value.

#3197 1 year ago

I think the key part of this many are missing is that the community is passionate. I would assume we all want these companies to succeed and continue putting out games that we can enjoy. For many though that don't see these as 'investments', the pricing is really killing the enjoyment.

And honestly, maybe there's an alternate mindset not taken into consideration as well. Some are collectors, others are players who move through games every month or so. I'm in the former as I'm not in a hotspot, I don't like rotating games constantly. For those who do, I imagine the price is much less of a big deal because they won't keep it long anyway.

#3198 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

jesus christ dude, it's a pinball machine lol

And it’s a fucking joke that I am not laughing at because if this is the future of pinball at Stern, we are ALL fucked. Just my $0.02 on Stern’s “it’s only pinball” JB60SLE pricing.

#3199 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

This is such a short sighted viewpoint. I had a whole thing written up about why it is a slap in the face to the community, but decided you are right, it doesn't matter. Just like with the forbidden P word, if it doesn't impact you directly now, you don't care about what it means for the future.

Please share it does matter.

I feel like we have this community of like Nudge Magazine out there clashing with Cigar Aficionado types .
This game kinda misses the mark in so many ways.

#3200 1 year ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

This game should be a 5800 pro.
A hat over a spinning disk… is that a joke?
Pinball… not sure about it anymore

Correction, just saw the official stern trailer. This should be a 4k home pin. What an absolute embarrassment. If you pay 20k for this please seek help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lake Point, UT
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oxford, MI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 7,210 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 145.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/james-bond-60th-edition-sle-super-limited-elwin-hype-thread/page/64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.