007 Pins (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).jpg
IMG_2606 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2605 (resized).jpeg
FA6A1593-65DD-4DB2-A72B-EEC43DED1CAE (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
5BCC2926-0CA0-4F3E-8D6C-04700CEC815E (resized).jpeg
EECBEBD3-2CC7-4043-8947-928B0A53C62A (resized).jpeg
There are 7,210 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 145.
#1001 1 year ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:The thing is, if people want a single-level game for less than the cost of a Stern Pro, then they can just get one of thousands of surviving used pins that were made prior to the wide adoption of ramps. Stuff like Meteor, Harlem Globetrotters, Centaur, ect.
The one advantage that I really think modern Single-Level games like Beatles and TNA have is their rulesets. I find the rules on those two much more engaging than almost anything made prior to the 90s. Neither of them have complex rules by any stretch, but they both have enough meat-on-bone to keep them engaging. That and much better sound.
We've started to enter the territory where people are improving the code on old games with new custom roms, and things like Arduinos and Wav Triggers. So maybe we can get the best of both worlds that way.

Beatles is a lot of fun, and we all know this new Elwin game is going to rule. It’ll hook the people who couldn’t get into Beatles.

#1002 1 year ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

The thing is, if people want a single-level game for less than the cost of a Stern Pro, then they can just get one of thousands of surviving used pins that were made prior to the wide adoption of ramps. Stuff like Meteor, Harlem Globetrotters, Centaur, ect.
The one advantage that I really think modern Single-Level games like Beatles and TNA have is their rulesets. I find the rules on those two much more engaging than almost anything made prior to the 90s. Neither of them have complex rules by any stretch, but they both have enough meat-on-bone to keep them engaging. That and much better sound.
We've started to enter the territory where people are improving the code on old games with new custom roms, and things like Arduinos and Wav Triggers. So maybe we can get the best of both worlds that way.

Just buy a Wizard from Ken Head. It is one of the best EMs ever made, super rare, brand new, it's built like a tank, and it is produced by the top EM restorer in the U.S.A....if not the world.

#1003 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I just don’t get why people think The Beatles should cost less
It has more stuff in it than some other premiums.

45 second clips of audio. Stills when archival video is available. Pro-level BOM. It should cost less.

#1004 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

45 second clips of audio. Stills when archival video is available. Pro-level BOM. It should cost less.

Everyone is ignoring the cost of Beatles licensing.

A friend of mine is in the car business selling parts for Chrysler products, the licensing fees and requirements are utterly insane. It's one reason when you go to the toy store you see lots of GM and Ford products on the shelf and much less Chrysler.

The licensing fees are horrible and Chrysler does nothing in return for the scalping.

And mind you this is for nothing more than using the words "SRT" "Mopar" "Super Bee" or "Hemi" they want upwards of 50%

#1005 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Pro-level BOM.

I think Beatles has more in it than the typical pro; 4 flippers, 2 optical spinners, 2 magnets, spinning disc in playfield, 3 separate drop target banks with total of 11 drop targets, 3 pops, inner art blades, metal apron instead of plastic, power coated armor.

Seems more premium like than pro like to me.

#1006 1 year ago

Forget the ramps and mechs. What this game will need is artwork with a proper gradient fill along with consistent insert fonts.

#1007 1 year ago
Quoted from docquest:

I think Beatles has more in it than the typical pro; 4 flippers, 2 optical spinners, 2 magnets, spinning disc in playfield, 3 separate drop target banks with total of 11 drop targets, 3 pops, inner art blades, metal apron instead of plastic, power coated armor.
Seems more premium like than pro like to me.

But it has no ramps!!!!!

Those things are woven out of hardened silk, custom designed and built, with tooling and skills that are possessed only by the world’s most experienced Ramp Artisans.

It’s not just the one-off cost per unit of ramp. It’s all of the money, research. and development - the untold sunk costs - that can produce these delicate, ornate fixtures of “pro” pinball machines.

#1008 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But it has no ramps!!!!!
Those things are woven out of hardened silk, custom designed and built, with tooling and skills that are possessed only by the world’s most experienced Ramp Artisans.
It’s not just the one-off cost per unit of ramp. It’s all of the money, research. and development - the untold sunk costs - that can produce these delicate, ornate fixtures of “pro” pinball machines.

Yeah, it’s a highly special and unique feature that designers and manufacturers only have about 40 years of experience with. It takes weeks of meticulous design to draw a three dimensional curve in Solidworks.

And they only make a few thousand of each ramp, which drags up the tooling and design cost up to maybe $5/unit in addition to the $1 worth of plastic. Include the cost of a switch or two, and maybe a flasher lamp and dome. Can’t forget the twenty-five cents worth of screws and ramp flap at the entrance either. Expensive stuff!

Quoted from gdonovan:

A friend of mine is in the car business selling parts for Chrysler products, the licensing fees and requirements are utterly insane. It's one reason when you go to the toy store you see lots of GM and Ford products on the shelf and much less Chrysler.
The licensing fees are horrible and Chrysler does nothing in return for the scalping.
And mind you this is for nothing more than using the words "SRT" "Mopar" "Super Bee" or "Hemi" they want upwards of 50%

Didn’t JoeK brag about the license being $1m? So a little over $500 per unit for a nearly 2000 unit run

Comparatively Roger Sharpe has mentioned in interviews that an average is well under $100 per unit http://pavlovpinball.com/pinball-licencing-101-how-much-why-and-harry-potter/

So yeah. It’s not that hard to make a decent estimate and comparison of the Beatles BOM to other pros and premiums

If you come up thinking it’s comparable to a pro, you’re just working backwards from your own foregone conclusion. It was a premium BOM with a slight extra cost for the license and JoeK’s taste of the pie.

Why we are still litigating this, among some pinsiders that I don’t think are stupid (though maybe too fond of arguing for the sport of it), is beyond me.

#1009 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Why we are still litigating this, among some pinsiders that I don’t think are stupid (though maybe too fond of arguing for the sport of it), is beyond me.

But you just answered your own question! Ha. Because it is a sport - should it be an Olympic one… that is the question.

#1010 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yeah, it’s a highly special and unique feature that designers and manufacturers only have about 40 years of experience with. It takes weeks of meticulous design to draw a three dimensional curve in Solidworks.
And they only make a few thousand of each ramp, which drags up the tooling and design cost up to maybe $5/unit in addition to the $1 worth of plastic. Include the cost of a switch or two, and maybe a flasher lamp and dome. Can’t forget the twenty-five cents worth of screws and ramp flap at the entrance either. Expensive stuff!

Didn’t JoeK brag about the license being $1m? So a little over $500 per unit for a nearly 2000 unit run
Comparatively Roger Sharpe has mentioned in interviews that an average is well under $100 per unit http://pavlovpinball.com/pinball-licencing-101-how-much-why-and-harry-potter/
So yeah. It’s not that hard to make a decent estimate and comparison of the Beatles BOM to other pros and premiums
If you come up thinking it’s comparable to a pro, you’re just working backwards from your own foregone conclusion. It was a premium BOM with a slight extra cost for the license and JoeK’s taste of the pie.

Probably because of the mixture of sarcasm, humor, facts, misinformation, speculation, personal grievances and conspiracy theories in the posts

#1011 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yeah, it’s a highly special and unique feature that designers and manufacturers only have about 40 years of experience with.

Actually, pinball ramps have been around at least 87 years. Here's a 1935 CCM Rapid Transit I restored years ago.

Screenshot_20221104-104248_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221104-104248_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221104-104253_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221104-104253_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221104-104340_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221104-104340_Chrome (resized).jpg
#1012 1 year ago

every time someone tries to make a point about pinball some prewar pinball nerd always come in to spoil their fun.
(and it's usually me, sorry)

#1013 1 year ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

It's the illusion of scarcity business model to drive profit up.

well, more accurately it's manufactured scarcity. It's purposefully limiting a run. But then again, LEs also do that too.
Illusion of scarcity would be like if they built 1500 but said it was super limited, then trickled the rest out

#1014 1 year ago
Quoted from cait001:

well, more accurately it's manufactured scarcity. It's purposefully limiting a run. But then again, LEs also do that too.
Illusion of scarcity would be like if they built 1500 but said it was super limited, then trickled the rest out

From a postwar pinball nerd. Thanks for the clarification.

#1015 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

And Kapow's cut. Essentially two licenses before anything's built. But the game really is less-than with the short music clips and stills instead of archival video, plus a slight tweak on an existing design, so little R&D. Less work than flipping a Borg layout for a new machine.

#1016 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

And Kapow's cut. Essentially two licenses before anything's built. But the game really is less-than with the short music clips and stills instead of archival video, plus a slight tweak on an existing design, so little R&D. Less work than flipping a Borg layout for a new machine.

“Tweak on an existing design”

Bruh… they had to redraw the whole thing in CAD. So what they had a jumpstart on a layout concept? They basically did every other aspect of the game from scratch like a normal game

It’s not like when they redo Spiderman Home or Whoa Nellie. Throw on some new art, replace some sounds, put in the same basic software.

Although I will say the software development of Beatles was maybe a bit cheaper compared to most titles since there’s only a handful of modes and scoring features.

Borg is the one constantly tweaking existing designs he made within the past several years…

#1017 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

“Tweak on an existing design”
Bruh… they had to redraw the whole thing in CAD. So what they had a jumpstart on a layout concept? They basically did every other aspect of the game from scratch like a normal game

You're not really disagreeing with me. Drawing an existing playfield in CAD using likely pre-defined Stern standard modules for targets spinners, pop bumpers, flippers, etc isn't a heavy load. Then modifying a few aspects of the proven design is nowhere near from-scratch whitewood testing trial and error. Very light R&D portion, and like you said, the software depth is basic - essentially a step or two above JP The Pin. A big chunk of the money on that pin is tied up on Beatles/Kapow licensing, though it was a good point that it does have powdercoated armor and art blades.

#1018 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

The sarcasm is weak. Still takes time to design, make molds, prototype, iterate. That is all expensive people time even when they have the resources inhouse. Then once they get the design down, production molds must be made, stored, remade. Then the ramps must be made, trimmed, and finished. All labor/time. Then those ramps must be stored and shipped in large pallets.. that's more space in inventory. Then you have the subassembly work. Then you have the burden of storing those molds and overhead of what it means to make small runs of them later.

Contrast that with a part that is 100% reuse - completely machine made or produced at large volume except for the sub-assembly step and is significantly smaller. The unique parts are cheap to produce in large volume and easy to store.

At the end of the day, a ramp is a 1-off part that requires a lot of manual labor vs a punched+assembled part. The mech has more material cost, but is still a simpler part to use. The REAL difference is the burden associated with a part like a ramp can be amortized over the run of a game so as long as you plan for healthy runs you bury the ramp's extra burdens in your dev budget. Where as the reused mech carries all its burden in the actual BOM per unit. So it's a cost that never amortizes. That's why it carries a big burden in the BOM... where parts like molded pieces and ramps carry less once amortized.

So the difference is about a part that becomes cheaper as you run more, but still has a high overhead... vs a part that basically stays expensive. One is front-loaded, the other is linear. How you account for the spend can differ too.

#1019 1 year ago

I bought a NIB Beatles today! Fell in love with it while playing for 5 hrs straight at Free Gold Watch in San Fran! Should we get back to being excited for the SLElwin? Please don't gouge us, please. We all have our price limits!

#1020 1 year ago

The best thing about pretending to know what it costs to make
Pinball machines, is anything can cost whatever you want it to be.

If you choose to believe drop target banks are basically free, that’s cool, just like if I believe Ramps are worth more than the most skilled of truffle pigs, that’s cool.

If I want to believe that Beatles - in which every single post is in a different spot than seawitch - was tossed off by an intern in 20 minutes, hey that’s cool too.

We are all experts, after all.

#1021 1 year ago

I had a Beatles platinum with topper. Huge Beatles fans our master is decorated in Beatles, ringo signature, seen Paul a few times live. The pin is fun but got old and sold after a couple yrs. Had a hard time selling it but luckily broke even since the topper tripled in price. Opto spinners are amazing.

#1022 1 year ago

Drop target banks are so expensive….
06D9B807-D33D-46E3-8E39-7C48A0AA524B (resized).png06D9B807-D33D-46E3-8E39-7C48A0AA524B (resized).png

And ramps are so cheap, particularly the ones made out of plastic and not angel pubes….
7B343705-8BBB-46E8-AE4B-7F1C6FD29703 (resized).png7B343705-8BBB-46E8-AE4B-7F1C6FD29703 (resized).png

#1023 1 year ago

Man, that's crazy, Stern should consider having ramps manufactured by the thousands instead of buying decade-old retail NOS ramps.

#1024 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Drop target banks are so expensive….
[quoted image]
And ramps are so cheap, particularly the ones made out of plastic and not angel pubes….
[quoted image]

Just for reference this is the one that Stern uses:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-7029-04

$270 and then you need to assemble it, install it, and have some way to control it.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1025 1 year ago
Quoted from twenty84:

$270 and then you need to assemble it, install it, and have some way to control it.[quoted image]

True. And the ramp still needs all the flashers, switches/optos, art, decals, cables, air ball covers, entry posts, protectors, hex posts to support it. And it needs to be controlled. And it’s a one off custom design that needs prototyping etc etc.

Probably we should be comparing to this…

ACBC1B0E-2459-4C18-8D58-AF49456DF642 (resized).pngACBC1B0E-2459-4C18-8D58-AF49456DF642 (resized).png

#1026 1 year ago

I'm not a BOM expert, I dunno what a lot of these things truly cost, I was never involved in those kinds of talks. I can tell you from my personal experience though that most people severely underestimate the costs of labor when it comes to design. Everything is simple, and "just do this" until you try it, and realize it's all more work than you think it is.

That goes for everything. Remakes, toppers, 'simple' games. It's rarely all that effective to focus on the costs of the raw plastics I think.

#1027 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

Man, that's crazy, Stern should consider having ramps manufactured by the thousands instead of buying decade-old retail NOS ramps.

I know right…301C6507-5390-40D0-84F6-A4BA2D12BC5D (resized).png301C6507-5390-40D0-84F6-A4BA2D12BC5D (resized).png

And imagine how cheap they could make those retail stock drop target banks in the 1000’s that could also be used in any number of future games.

#1028 1 year ago
Quoted from twenty84:

$270 and then you need to assemble it, install it, and have some way to control it.[quoted image]

It's a Stern part...... so it's already marked up 1000%

#1029 1 year ago

These games are so cheap. Just a matter a time before a brand new company undercuts every other company and produces way more games.

#1030 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

These games are so cheap. Just a matter a time before a brand new company undercuts every other company and produces way more games.

Deeproot?

#1031 1 year ago

Homepin.

#1035 1 year ago

Greatwichpin!

#1036 1 year ago

Comparing parts prices is amusing ( and sort of futile to represent worth).....the most special end products Ive ever seen are ALWAYS more valuable than the sum of the parts...

So much more to it.......

Guess the banter is good, given no reveal yet...

Made it to another bourbon Friday....thankfully...

#1037 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Just buy a Wizard from Ken Head. It is one of the best EMs ever made, super rare, brand new, it's built like a tank, and it is produced by the top EM restorer in the U.S.A....if not the world.

Can you elaborate? I've never heard of Ken Head, and I can't seem to find a lick of information about him when I do a google search.

#1038 1 year ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Can you elaborate? I've never heard of Ken Head, and I can't seem to find a lick of information about him when I do a google search.

Ken is a talented restorer and a good guy. He's on Facebook.

Screenshot_20221106-202448_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221106-202448_Facebook (resized).jpg
#1039 1 year ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-wants-a-gottlieb-wizard-conversion-kit

#1040 1 year ago

We have been punked. There really isn’t an Elwin Bond game!

#1041 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

We have been punked. There really isn’t and Elwin Bond game!

Somebody better tell Keith that.

LTG : )

#1042 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Somebody better tell Keith that.

Eh, it only took him like twenty minutes to design the game with standard off the shelf parts (or at least that’s the way some think about stuff like this)

#1043 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

We have been punked. There really isn’t an Elwin Bond game!

Definitely don't get it Doug. Can't imagine the hype is increased by putting it out there and going dark this long (mines not anyway)....Pinball I guess

Will still give my "reveal Tuesday" bump.....surely I'll be right some month.....

#1044 1 year ago

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't say or show anything for months from now. If they want to keep quiet this is what I'm thinking.

#1045 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Eh, it only took him like twenty minutes to design the game with standard off the shelf parts (or at least that’s the way some think about stuff like this)

Lol...too true!!..

#1046 1 year ago

Gotta admit, I’ve been frozen out on any news regarding this.
The price will probably piss me off, but I still might pull the cork.

#1047 1 year ago

Anyone know a distributor and/or how you can get one?

#1048 1 year ago
Quoted from benjoewoo:

Anyone know a distributor and/or how you can get one?

Try Glen - https://thepinballplace.com/

#1049 1 year ago

WARNING: “CARGUMENT”!!!(TRUCKUMENT)

People demand crank windowed, cloth seated, radio deleted, manual transmissioned, vinyl floored, spartan pickup trucks all over the internet.

The manufacturers build them (w/t trimmed 1/4 tons, diesel powered small trucks), at about a 20% discount than fancier equipped trucks, and few people order them, thus not making it profitable for the manufacturers to make them in small numbers.

News flash! It’s more expensive to put crank windows and vinyl floors in a truck specially ordered, than it is to just put power and carpeting in everything standard at the rate people actually buy them!

But alas, large scale manufacturing =/= pinball manufacturing, until it does. Small runs of mechs cost more than big runs of mechs.

Back on topic.

I’m excited to see a Stargazer on steroids from Elwin!

Bah-da-dun-dun-dada-da!

#1050 1 year ago

Damn these things are kind of hard to find--people talk about not wanting the game, but I'm not sure you can even find one if you're trying to?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oxford, MI
There are 7,210 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 145.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/james-bond-60th-edition-sle-super-limited-elwin-hype-thread/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.