007 Pins (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).jpg
IMG_2606 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2605 (resized).jpeg
FA6A1593-65DD-4DB2-A72B-EEC43DED1CAE (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
5BCC2926-0CA0-4F3E-8D6C-04700CEC815E (resized).jpeg
EECBEBD3-2CC7-4043-8947-928B0A53C62A (resized).jpeg
There are 7,210 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 145.
#6701 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

That's a sales technique (manipulation) to promote FOMO and perceived rarity

Also called artificial collecting

I did like the part where they asked George why so limited? Answer-'Because it is expensive'

Sorry but having a hard time truly believing the whole story. Who is getting rich-Joe? Why so expensive? (Deja Vu-Beatles)
They could have done unlimited if they wanted to and cost averaged 'negotiated' license cost(let everyone enjoy). Oh well-still looks good and fun to shoot

#6702 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Please read Trybo69's comment directly about your post. They're creating FOMO to the end customers, and not sold out.

But I don't think it's a FOMO thing...it's standard operating procedure. I've heard George throw around the 50/50 US v world split on LEs in multiple interviews by this point. He's very proud of the wide range of countries Stern exports to.

Maybe it's a little bit of a sales tactic to mention it, but eh. It's trivial to adjust the power requirements to change the exports or to reimport them

#6703 1 year ago

Many people confuse "sold out" with "sold through".

#6704 1 year ago

(sigh) I'll be moving along now

#6705 1 year ago

I watched the stream of JB60 on Twitch.

- One reel with just 4 digits instead of an LCD? One 4-digit reel! Really!? Looks like a big cost cutting on the most expensive machine ever.
- There should be no cost cutting on super-limited stuff!
- Almost no toys?!
- Ugly playfield.
- Repetitive shots.
- Lack of inclusion of all JB movies.
- Poor animation on the center LCD (I know, not final code, but why are you showing us this if you want to sell it as something special?)
- Even the designers looked bored while playing it and were kicking the machine while clearly being agitated, like it's some random un-dialed old mechanical pinball machine causing them headaches on a tournament.

I think it would be better they never revealed it and it would stay a mistery.

I don't want to comment the price. Even if this machine would cost $7k I would have a bad feeling how it was presented to us.

#6706 1 year ago

If they really wanted to artificially limit this title, they would make you collect the box tops of 10 qualifying Stern NIB titles and send them in with a 3 x 5 card with the words BOND LIMITED 60 written in ball point pen with a $20,000 check made out to Gary Stern, c/o Stern Manufacturing. Please include $350 dollars for shipping and handling and allow 4 to 8 months for delivery.

#6707 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's why their contract games are so expensive... low volume means high per unit overhead costs and opportunity cost vs building other stuff. Stern charges an extra 10k on this title, but the upside is fixed. The pricing is in part because of that 'hit' they expect to take producing a low volume product.

This exactly. I get the sense that people on this forum look at the lack of ramps and immediately think the game must be cheap to make. But it’s not.
- low volume means high per unit costs
- this game actually does have much more in it than a pro (there is no pro with 10 drop targets, 4 opto spinners, and newly designed mechanical reels)

This is not a defense of the price they are charging nor the value of the game we collectively perceive. Or even whether it’s a good game. This is just the truth that a 500 total run of a game with these features is not as cheap to make as some might suppose. This is not a repurposed home pin layout game with limited features. Still not defending 20k but keep in mind many got it a few grand under that price.

#6708 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Please read Trybo69's comment directly about your post. They're creating FOMO to the end customers, and not sold out.

Im over it. The press release distinguishes between US and International. Not my doing. Met LE did sell out to Distros and Customers rather quickly.

My point is, we may never actually see one in the wild, regardless if 1 stays in the states and 499 go overseas, or vice versa.

#6709 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I did like the part where they asked George why so limited? Answer-'Because it is expensive'

Yeah that was good. George isn't dumb, you gotta just read between the lines on this stuff.

If anyone was around for the end of the stream (I watched the beginning, turned it off, and then tuned in for the end) they had a little Q&A and George said a few things that were telling. Stern is selling a lot of games, and they're also pricing out long time fans, and I don't think they're ignorant of that dichotomy. Again, you have to read between the lines. He's not setting the prices on anything.

#6710 1 year ago

I like the reels....thinking I'll enjoy the entire vibe alot once in the gameroom and can appreciate it all.

Also holding out that in a future code drop, they put a few screenshots/ clips (not full scenes or anything..wouldn't fit the game imho) from the movies in place/ or addition to some of the existing stuff...a man can dream, let me be...(happy regardless)...

Game seems very fast (def not stop and go), so not sure what would work

#6711 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

It looks fantastic and hugely playable - no its not worth the asking price but we've done that dance on here over and over and the stream wasn't going to change anyones mind on it. If Stern makes more of these type of games I'm in though 100%. Can anyone create a mod so Over the top is OnnaTop?
Also cool co-op mode!
Neil.

Nice plug for the UK Open on the stream from GOAT Elwin himself. I'd say that was worth the $20K!

I hope to be there at the UK Open to play it! Is it gonna be in the classics bank or main?

#6712 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Im over it. The press release distinguishes between US and International. Not my doing. Met LE did sell out to Distros and Customers rather quickly.
My point is, we may never actually see one in the wild, regardless if 1 stays in the states and 499 go overseas, or vice versa.

Ok, one last response and then I'll do my best to get out of this rabbit hole.

Here's what owners should tell people. "This is the Bond 60th and they sold only one on my block"

#6713 1 year ago

I don’t mess with Pinball Browser. I wonder if you could do anything with that for clips? I kinda doubt it has many “clips” in it that could be swapped out vs screens with text and an asset image.

#6714 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Sorry my friend, but production is slated for 500, not 250.
Congratulations on your new game. If you're happy, then I'm happy.

Meant 250 stateside...apologies

#6715 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Meant 250 stateside...apologies

Never for a moment did I think you were being deceptive. You're a good guy and I think I have a pretty good read on your Pinside persona.

Sorry for any confusion my friend.

#6716 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

This is backwards and a poor mindset - especially if you are assuming regardless of what the title is they are selling w/o issue.
It doesn't matter if they were making 500 or 10,000. The time needed to do all the engineering, sourcing, testing, design, etc is still there and still significant and unique. The time invested there, and the time spent getting it manufacturing ready is all overhead that has ALREADY BEEN DONE for other existing titles. There is no 'quick cash turnaround' - they still spent all that money and they have no problem getting cash for the alternate games they could have been producing.
Tying up manufacturing resources building this limited run game is only keeping those resources from building other games they can do with optimized margins because of economies of scale and re-use.
It's why their contract games are so expensive... low volume means high per unit overhead costs and opportunity cost vs building other stuff. Stern charges an extra 10k on this title, but the upside is fixed. The pricing is in part because of that 'hit' they expect to take producing a low volume product. Stern is able to do it because of their efficent switch-overs minimizes the manufacturing impact and they have the manpower scale to handle a 'side project' like this without stopping the rest of the ship.

I agree with you but in the past Stern was able to do this on a number of past titles for prices much lower than $20K. I think all of these were priced below $7K. Granted, some of the costs were shared with their lesser Pro counterparts so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

A few examples:
WWE LE limited to 400 units World-wide and no premium model. This game had unique code and extra wrestlers, additional wireform and flippers, spinning disc, new art package, etc.
Rolling Stones LE: Limited to 350 units World-wide. No premium. The game had magnets under the playfield, a powerball and sensors, controllable pop up posts. mirrored backglass, etc.
X-Men LE: 550 Units World-wide split between 2 versions. No Premium model. Game had nightcrawler pop up's, moving ramp, mirrored backglass, spinning magnetic disk, etc.

#6717 1 year ago

So I know you are all dying for my opinion:

I dipped in and out of the stream a couple times. I don't really like watching those things too much. But my takeaways:

1. Gomez was sloshed. More of this please!
2. It's a pinball machine that is exactly what I expected - single level, spinners, no movie assetss, blah blah blah.
3. Looks fun. I know of a couple that will be accessible to me within a 30 minute trip from my door so looking forward to playing it.
4. I'm not going buy one as I'm not rich nor out of my fucking mind. I love the Bond theme and the pro more than scratches that itch.

I don't see how anybody's mind is changed. Every single hater is in here saying SEE I TOLD YOU SO!!!!! but every single non-hater is saying exactly the same thing. I think the ONLY person here who was actually surprised by anything was sonofadiddly, who was absolutely convinced for no good reason and in the absence of any evidence at all that it was going to have movie clips.

As far as this thread, it's the same shit we've seen for the last 2 months just amped up to 11 since we know it's coming to an end. Everybody's said their piece a billion times and today they are just saying it louder and an additional 15 times.

In the end, it's a pinball machine just like the all the other ones that get announced or released every year. Buy it or don't. Don't take it so personally.

Anger is a completely irrational response to any of this, it's unhealthy and makes no sense. Apathy is where it's at. You'll live longer!

For those who are whining that they'll never be able to play it, I think that's unfounded. You'll be seeing these at plenty of shows and premier locations. It's not exactly hard to find; the fact that project pinball raffled off THREE of these is pretty good evidence of that.

#6718 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

A few examples:
WWE LE limited to 400 units World-wide and no premium model. This game had unique code and extra wrestlers, additional wireform and flippers, spinning disc, new art package, etc.
Rolling Stones LE: Limited to 350 units World-wide. No premium. The game had magnets under the playfield, a powerball and sensors, controllable pop up posts. mirrored backglass, etc.
X-Men LE: 550 Units World-wide split between 2 versions. No Premium model. Game had nightcrawler pop up's, moving ramp, mirrored backglass, spinning magnetic disk, etc.

I'm not as sure about WWE, but Rolling Stones and XMen came out when Stern was struggling to sell north of 2,000 units of any game... The demand was way lower

Pinball is selling more now than it has in 30 years. It's a great time, but an expensive time as demand far outpaces supply.

#6719 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Apathy is where it's at. You'll live longer!

Whatever...don't care.

#6720 1 year ago

Me watching last nights Bond 60th twitch stream.

709757A0-9A9C-4CA3-A09F-FCDA4979C4B1.gif709757A0-9A9C-4CA3-A09F-FCDA4979C4B1.gif
#6721 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So I know you are all dying for my opinion:

I'll go cancel my tombstone now

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Anger is a completely irrational response to any of this, it's unhealthy and makes no sense. Apathy is where it's at. You'll live longer!

Yeah, but who wants a longer happier life when I can endlessly type into the void about how cars and pinball machines are simultaneously just alike yet completely different

#6722 1 year ago
Quoted from playtwowin:

Me watching last nights Bond 60th twitch stream

the-rock-eyebrow.gifthe-rock-eyebrow.gif
#6723 1 year ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

This exactly. I get the sense that people on this forum look at the lack of ramps and immediately think the game must be cheap to make. But it’s not.
- low volume means high per unit costs
- this game actually does have much more in it than a pro (there is no pro with 10 drop targets, 4 opto spinners, and newly designed mechanical reels)
This is not a defense of the price they are charging nor the value of the game we collectively perceive. Or even whether it’s a good game. This is just the truth that a 500 total run of a game with these features is not as cheap to make as some might suppose. This is not a repurposed home pin layout game with limited features. Still not defending 20k but keep in mind many got it a few grand under that price.

Drop targets, optos, etc, all stuff that is dirt cheap off the shelf common parts. Again it's a 20k machine, and even for it's low production amount, you got other boutique sellers producing much more robust games with unique non off shelf components for lot less. Outside of the little Hat on the spinner thingie, this really has nothing truly unique outside of the mechanical reels? So we want to say a new take on ancient pinball tech is what justifies the price?

Even Pro model machines often have unique sculpts, features, mechs that are actually different, along with multilevels of fields, ramps, and uncommon things such as magnets or even moving parts sometimes.

Even going back and forth on it, still nothing about what is being given here feels to justify the price other than "we only made a few". Yea it's not for everyone then, but as with anything it pisses people off also when you create artificial value by simply virtue of limiting a product.

#6725 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Drop targets, optos, etc, all stuff that is dirt cheap off the shelf common parts. Again it's a 20k machine, and even for it's low production amount, you got other boutique sellers producing much more robust games with unique non off shelf components for lot less. Outside of the little Hat on the spinner thingie, this really has nothing truly unique outside of the mechanical reels? So we want to say a new take on ancient pinball tech is what justifies the price?
Even Pro model machines often have unique sculpts, features, mechs that are actually different, along with multilevels of fields, ramps, and uncommon things such as magnets or even moving parts sometimes.
Even going back and forth on it, still nothing about what is being given here feels to justify the price other than "we only made a few". Yea it's not for everyone then, but as with anything it pisses people off also when you create artificial value by simply virtue of limiting a product.

The answer to all of your rhetorical questions, which mostly boil down to "Why buy this instead of this?" is this:

If you want the 60th anniversary LE Elwin Bond of which there are only 500 available, you have to buy the 60th anniversary LE Elwin Bond.

#6727 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We don't need to listen to that. All of the people who do will be in here in a few hours recycling everything that is said.

which is him recycling what was already recycled here...

Hey did you guys know 20,000 is a lot of money for a pinball machine?

#6728 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

which is him recycling what was already recycled here...
Hey did you guys know 20,000 is a lot of money for a pinball machine?

Did you know for the price you could buy two stern Premiums?! Or 4 B-list WPC games?

Or a low-end 1964 Stratocaster?!!!!

#6729 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Did you know for the price you could buy two stern Premiums?!

And those have ramps!

#6730 1 year ago

You know what you can't buy for $20k? A super limited edition of Batman 66 that has a few cosmetic differences than the $9k base model that they built thousands of.

Takes a real galaxy brain to go after the non-limited super-limited game

#6731 1 year ago

It remains a total mystery to me how anyone can listen to this dude without vomiting all over themselves.

#6732 1 year ago
Quoted from skink91:

It remains a total mystery to me how anyone can listen to this dude without vomiting all over themselves.

Well, I never listen to him but clicked on your link. Sure, it's dramatic, but a lot of what he's saying about the game (or lack thereof) is spot-on. I understand why you might not want to hear it, but the game is lame (and the lack of excitement from 2 of pinball's biggest luminaries was apparent in the stream). I don't blame Stern or think it's the end of our hobby...it's just a game that doesn't strike a chord with an awful lot of pinball faithful (and Keith & George looked embarrassed).

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Couldn't agree more. I'm not angry, just disappointed (especially given the iconic license). No big deal...

#6733 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:lack of excitement from 2 of pinball's biggest luminaries was apparent in the stream).

This was my biggest takeaway from the stream.

#6734 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Well, I never listen to him but clicked on your link. Sure, it's dramatic, but a lot of what he's saying about the game (or lack thereof) is spot-on. I understand why you might not want to hear it, but the game is lame (and the lack of excitement from 2 of pinball's biggest luminaries was apparent in the stream). I don't blame Stern or think it's the end of our hobby...it's just a game that doesn't strike a chord with an awful lot of pinball faithful (and Keith & George looked embarrassed).

Not my link, thank you very much. If you can listen to that weasel with his emotional background music and pleading language “for the good of the community, people… please!” and not feel ill, be very afraid because there are shady preachers coming your way and will manipulate the shit out of you.

#6735 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We don't need to listen to that. All of the people who do will be in here in a few hours recycling everything that is said.

Just one person's Opinion. Anyone anyone can take it or leave it.

#6736 1 year ago

Idk... Gomez seemed wasted and like he was having fun. Deadflip was himself, while running around figuring out his new studio setup. Keith was his stoic self. The programmer...looked and acted like a socially awkward programmer who hasn't been filmed like that before lol.

It seemed about as much fun as any other stream. At least the few bits I watched live.

But whatever. It doesn't matter how the stream went down. People made up their minds on this game weeks ago.

#6737 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I assume you are referring to KME and GG, and I can't say I thought either lacked excitement on the stream. GG was definitely blitzed which was hilarious. KME always strikes me as a very reserved dude. CrazyLevi has definitely been the voice of reason in this thread. Buy it or don't buy it and move on down the road. I definitely wouldn't buy it, but I'm not going to bash on those who did. People spend much more than $20K every second on things much more ridiculous than the 60th.

#6738 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The answer to all 30 of your rhetorical questions, which mostly boil down to "Why buy this instead of this?" is this:
If you want the 60th anniversary LE Elwin Bond of which there are only 500 available, you have to buy the 60th anniversary LE Elwin Bond.

This is what I was thinking, the stream put me in the buyers camp!

Thanks Zack at Flipping out!!!!

Games is exactly for me. I loved one comment where it was said the game is schizophrenic or something like that.

Perfect I am in and this games is so different in so many ways but screams old, new, innovative etc

#6739 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Just one person's Opinion. Anyone anyone can take it or leave it.

If pinsiders subscribed to this notion this thread would be 2 pages not 135.

#6740 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

this games is so different in so many ways but screams old, new, innovative etc

That is what I liked about it. I'd love to have one for my location. I just don't see it happening.

It is different enough that it would be an attraction.

LTG : )

#6741 1 year ago
Quoted from skink91:

Not my link, thank you very much. If you can listen to that weasel with his emotional background music and pleading language “for the good of the community, people… please!” and not feel ill, be very afraid because there are shady preachers coming your way and will manipulate the shit out of you.

If he upsets you that much, I think you should seek a very good therapist. Don't worry, I'm 61 and never been influenced by them preachers, but thanks for your concern!

#6742 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

If pinsiders subscribed to this notion this thread would be 2 pages not 135.

I bought a Bond 60th. Hopefully I will be jamming on it in a week or so. I do listen to all and stay open minded at the same time.

#6743 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Or a low-end 1964 Stratocaster?!!!!

I'm here for any and all guitarguments!

How many Gretsch white falcons can I get for the price of a JB007SLE60? Always kinda wanted one even though I don't really play anymore.

#6744 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

You know what you can't buy for $20k? A super limited edition of Batman 66 that has a few cosmetic differences than the $9k base model that they built thousands of.
Takes a real galaxy brain to go after the non-limited super-limited game

I agree this is the key difference. Love or hate the game Bond 60th is an SLE without a "regular" less expensive version. You want this game it's SLE or nothin.

I'm assuming your comment is directed at Kaneda spending $25k on B66 SLE. I don't hate him as much as a lot of folks here seem to but I can't deny it was hilarious hearing him on facebook try to justify spending $25k on Batman when he constantly bashes Pinside people for justifying their purchases. What justifies a purchase is different for everyone. I'm happy he got his Batman SLE and I'm happy whoever got Bond SLE. WGAF what anyone else thinks.

#6745 1 year ago

The other part of this puzzle is once these games are sold and in homes, how many will be on the market?

My guess is that is why the SLE Batman's are so high in price.

Have you ever been in a dudes BAt Cave? Like a real Bat Man collector guy's Cave?

I have been in 2 of them and those guys who collect Bat Man stuff make us pinheads looks sane and normal.

#6746 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

So we want to say a new take on ancient pinball tech is what justifies the price?

I am very much NOT saying the price is justified. I agree it is not justified.

I am saying the per unit cost on these games is higher than a pro.

#6747 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Keith & George looked embarrassed.

Also, I feel like everyone saying this is projecting an analysis that wasn’t there

#6748 1 year ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

Also, I feel like everyone saying this is projecting an analysis that wasn’t there

It's like when people projected that Keith was unhappy and forced to do this, but then he later mentioned he volunteered for the project because he had down time between his major projects and was interested in trying out an original single level design.

This thread has been weird...

#6749 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

This is what I was thinking, the stream put me in the buyers camp!
Thanks Zack at Flipping out!!!!
Games is exactly for me. I loved one comment where it was said the game is schizophrenic or something like that.
Perfect I am in and this games is so different in so many ways but screams old, new, innovative etc

Wait, what? Aren’t you the “pinball is an investment because I grew up with nothing therefore have to justify every purchase with a cost/benefit analysis” guy? Buying a game because you like it seems a touch out of character.

#6750 1 year ago

George really sounds convincing when he tells us this is really fun.
Love his reaction to his own comment..yikes

81EC458C-A792-449F-9120-B57FCFFD318A.gif81EC458C-A792-449F-9120-B57FCFFD318A.gifB71AE1E5-94E7-4030-900C-E75BFD153CDA.gifB71AE1E5-94E7-4030-900C-E75BFD153CDA.gif
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oxford, MI
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Contact
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 7,210 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 145.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/james-bond-60th-edition-sle-super-limited-elwin-hype-thread/page/135?hl=selig and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.